Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
Does anyone know the name of the background track playing 2 minutes into episode 98? I swear I have heard it before and its been stuck in my head.

E: Also, 2 days ago this thread turned 5 years old. :drat:

Kweh fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 12, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Kweh posted:

This thread is over a year older than Zorak, the ADTRW moderator's (I'm sure you knew this, but it's interesting for perspective) SA account. This is both a testament to how badly some people wanted to see this, and how long it took to finally sub the whole drat thing.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
well I'm slowly watching this on my dingoo a320 and it's been great. I just got to the beginning of season 2 and I'm kind of pissed that kircheis died.

Anyway, anyone notice the drawing is really different with the second season? I almost couldn't recognize Attenborough and thought it was some random alliance dude about to get his rear end kicked.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

Kweh posted:

Does anyone know the name of the background track playing 2 minutes into episode 98? I swear I have heard it before and its been stuck in my head.

Found it for ya, Beethoven's 5th symphony, 3rd movement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeNT9PSXYxo

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Found it for ya, Beethoven's 5th symphony, 3rd movement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeNT9PSXYxo

Thank you very much!

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
SO I finally finished this series, don't know why it took so long. what an awesome ending! The Empire definitely had a better cast then the FPA, although the alliance had a few good characters almost the entire empire side was just badass, especially Oberstein.

The General Public
Jun 6, 2007
Due to my strong personal convictions, I wish to stress that this user in no way endorses a belief in the occult.

Kweh posted:

SO I finally finished this series, don't know why it took so long. what an awesome ending! The Empire definitely had a better cast then the FPA, although the alliance had a few good characters almost the entire empire side was just badass, especially Oberstein.

The whole of them put together don't match up to Yang though.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
I like our forum nameplate shoutout.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I think this is the second LOGH themed subforum name I've done for ADTRW and i dont care

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
I like it, and this thread ought to be stickied.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I've stickied the thread lots of times.

Rather than that, would someone like to write a new OP for the thread and PM it to me or post it here? No new thread, of course, what since this thread's age is special.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Zorak, which side do you prefer? I've sworn fealty to mein Kaiser, naturally. Do you back the Lohengramm Dynasty or Yang and his FPA?

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.

Zorak posted:

Rather than that, would someone like to write a new OP for the thread and PM it to me or post it here? No new thread, of course, what since this thread's age is special.
If you do—probably a good idea—I think the original OP should be put in a quote box, or bumped to second post, or whatever else you can do with your blue star powers.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Zorak posted:

I think this is the second LOGH themed subforum name I've done for ADTRW and i dont care

And you had to do it on the day that I got to episode 82 (The episode Yang dies), didn't you? Man, I nearly cried. Actually, no, I didn't cry until the aftermath of that episode. drat that was heartbreaking.

Brilliant, show, though. So entranced by it, I've been watching it for a week straight and still can't get over how simply amazing this show is. Why didn't I jump on the bandwagon sooner? It's just so incredibly well written, well thought out, well played and well made. Seriously, this is one of the best damned series I've ever seen.

So, I appreciate the thread bump, because I just have to say I love this show.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Honest Ray posted:

Zorak, which side do you prefer? I've sworn fealty to mein Kaiser, naturally. Do you back the Lohengramm Dynasty or Yang and his FPA?

Both rule. I mean seriously:

Zackarotto posted:

If you do—probably a good idea—I think the original OP should be put in a quote box, or bumped to second post, or whatever else you can do with your blue star powers.

That was the plan.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's taken a while, but it feels like the thread title has finally come true, if only a little bit.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
When I saw the new subforum title, I had to see if we had a thread on it. I just happened to finish this series earlier this fall.

What can I say, I liked it and I didn't mind the length at all. Epic Germans in space. At the same time, I couldn't bear watching more of the considerably shorter series Tytania.

The only real complaint I have against LotGH, is how easily Reuenthal was led to rebellion against the Kaiser - in a somewhat cliché fashion, I feel.

Vir fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 8, 2009

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

So where did you fellow classy gents first hear of this show? I went to a panel about it at an anime convention over the summer in 08 and I decided to burn through the show over my break. I then proceeded to offer anyone I knew who watched anime to give it a try and got my brother and two friends into the show, and both of my friends got people into the show. Its like this web of good taste that forms.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Honest Ray posted:

So where did you fellow classy gents first hear of this show?
This thread, actually. I put it off for a long time though because I knew I didn't want to have to wait for more episodes. I'm somewhat glad for that, to be honest.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Vir posted:

When I saw the new subforum title, I had to see if we had a thread on it. I just happened to finish this series earlier this fall.

What can I say, I liked it and I didn't mind the length at all. Epic Germans in space. At the same time, I couldn't bear watching more of the considerably shorter series Tytania.

The only real complaint I have against LotGH, is how easily Oberstein was led to rebellion against the Kaiser - in a somewhat cliché fashion, I feel.

Wrong guy there. Ruenthal saw he was getting railroaded what with Lang dicking him, and the Earth Cult setting him up to fall with that rebellion, not to mention his own ambition. I don't think he would have turned without the outside impetus but when he saw what was happening he just embraced it because he was a man of ability and ambition. I hope I'm not getting my timeline messed up.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Vir posted:

The only real complaint I have against LotGH, is how easily Oberstein was led to rebellion against the Kaiser - in a somewhat cliché fashion, I feel.

Oberstein died for the Kaiser, you're thinking of Reuenthal. Worse though, you seem to be forgetting the fact that his rebellion wasn't merely foreshadowed, he basically explicitly said fairly early on that if he ever had the opportunity he would do so.

Honest Ray posted:

So where did you fellow classy gents first hear of this show? I went to a panel about it at an anime convention over the summer in 08 and I decided to burn through the show over my break. I then proceeded to offer anyone I knew who watched anime to give it a try and got my brother and two friends into the show, and both of my friends got people into the show. Its like this web of good taste that forms.

I heard whispers of it before this thread existed actually, due to my love of the Seikai no * series. Of course, seeing how slow C-A was, I decided not to start watching until they were done, and by the time they finally were I was already in a state of putting it off so even a neophyte like Zorak (whose regdate is later than this thread's OP, amusingly) got to it first. But I'm done now, and it owns. Now if only C-A will take the knowledge gleaned from competent encoders, combine it with their hard work on translating, and give us the quality output a series of this caliber deserves. There's not likely to be anything like it again, after all :(.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I discovered LOGH because of this thread. Long live this thread! This thread and the various Berserk manga threads have been my longest standing SA bookmarks.

Zorak posted:

Whoever gets ambitious enough to write a new OP should really include either this link, or even better, a cleaned up english version of this comprehensive list of LOGH background music: http://www.yumei.com/gin/c_guide-e.html

I see questions about music pop up occasionally and this link rarely gets handed out in response.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

This thread, actually. I put it off for a long time though because I knew I didn't want to have to wait for more episodes. I'm somewhat glad for that, to be honest.

Same exactly on all counts, although I can't remember if I found this thread or if someone directed me to it.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Kweh posted:

That rules.

Also, Lohengramm Dynasty for life.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I first heard about it I think from Zorak's posting about how it was among his favorite shows, and honestly I started watching it because (not asskissing) Zorak has impeccable taste and nothing he's ever suggested has ever been bad so far. Or maybe it was the TVIV thread where I first heard of it.

LOGH: you know an anime is good when unironic threads about it can survive outside its protective womb(ADTRW).

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Yes, Reuenthal, sorry about that.

I also first heard about it as a recommendation, in relation to the Sekai no * series.

Vir fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 8, 2009

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I first heard about it from this thread. I thought it was a group troll at first. Tried it, loved it, and have been making people watch it. I've gotten 3 guys to become fans myself.

Spread the love, boys.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

Vir posted:

The only real complaint I have against LotGH...
Only thing that bugged me was that both Yang's and Lohengramm's views of how nations should be governed were freaking idiotic.

Lohengramm may himself be a brilliant benevolent despot, but his answer to what happens if his successor turns out to be a dickhead was that then it will just be the Lohengramm dynasty's turn to go. Great, it took 500 years to get rid of the previous dynasty and even then it was just replaced with another one! I guess he thought that if people aren't smart enough to overthrow their goverment, they deserve everything they get?

Yang on the other hand learned in episode 3 that their elected leader runs an illegal paramilitary organization for committing violence against his political opponents. And... he didn't give a poo poo. Ok, right then and there he didn't perhaps have a decent chance of doing anything, but later on he did. Apparently he thought that being elected means that you get to stand above the law? If he didn't, he could have fooled me. He certainly understood that even in every democracy, in the end it's the military that decides who is in power and whether constitution and laws are upheld, we saw that in eps 19-24. So what the heck was his problem?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've typed up 2 or 3 responses to that, but keep just facepalming. Yang didn't give a poo poo about Trunicht? Seriously? And what possible way is there for a dictator to make sure that their heirs aren't dicks? You've completely misinterpreted or at least oversimplified so many of the traits, goals, and ideologies of these two.

The crux of the matter is that Yang more than anything wanted to avoid a precedent where the military fixes the problem of his democracy. That's what gave birth to the wars in the past that ravaged humanity pre-Empire, and also what gave birth to the Empire itself.

And Reinhard? Reinhard was always about the present. Save his sister now. Exact justice against the nobility now. Unite humanity now. He lived in the moment, and thus surrounded himself with people he felt could secure the Empire for the future. Furthermore, by all accounts Reinhard detested the notion that the Empire should be ruled by someone whose only virtue was his bloodline.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

This forum title actually brought me into ADTRW! :ssh:

I love LOGH. One of the best pieces of sci-fi I've seen. Right up there with Galactica.

Here's a point for discussion: what was the deal with Trunicht in the very end? Does anyone buy his revalation to Ruenthal that he was trying to infiltrate the Imperial governement to make it more democratic? Was he always looking out for Number 1 or did he really have an agenda that was actually good for someone besides himself?

Most characters were given some sort of dimensionality (well, besides the Earth Cultists) and they had a "good" side to them (giving to orphans, etc), except Trunicht who always seemed to try to land on his feet no matter how many billions were hurt. It makes you wonder about him.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I discovered LOGH because of this thread. Long live this thread! This thread and the various Berserk manga threads have been my longest standing SA bookmarks.

Whoever gets ambitious enough to write a new OP should really include either this link, or even better, a cleaned up english version of this comprehensive list of LOGH background music: http://www.yumei.com/gin/c_guide-e.html

I see questions about music pop up occasionally and this link rarely gets handed out in response.

This is very cool. I got some of the soundtracks but there's so much more music than what's in those. I want to make a full playlist, since no doubt you can get most any classical music for free legally these days.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

Astroman posted:

Here's a point for discussion: what was the deal with Trunicht in the very end? Does anyone buy his revalation to Ruenthal that he was trying to infiltrate the Imperial governement to make it more democratic? Was he always looking out for Number 1 or did he really have an agenda that was actually good for someone besides himself?

I think Truniht was joking when he agreed with what Reuental said, probably just to get a reaction from him. Truniht made it pretty clear he didn't care about autocracy or democracy as long as he came out on top.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
I think Trunicht was just shameless, through and through. He used and allowed himself to be used for personal gain, and was the very embodiment of a corrupt politician. What's amazing is how well he managed to save face practically every time, though, especially in the beginning. He'd make others take the fall when something went wrong, and take credit for good he never took part in.

I was so glad when Reuental just shot him in the chest, point-blank. He just had it coming.

I just felt bad for the Free Planet Alliance, though. One thing that always got me about the show was how deeply ironic it was. The republican democracy was the corrupt form of government, whereas the dictatorship was shown as just. You want to root for Yang and company because you knew they were fighting a just cause themselves, but at the same time they were held back by corrupt forces and were up against a just and fair regime. That's why the show is so heartbreaking, though: there are heroes on both sides and they're killing each other. They all have sound reasons and justifications, but in the end it's still wrong that such good people are at each others' throats because they have opposing ideologies.

I do have to admit, though, Oberstein surprised me. I thought he was going to be one of those shameless, vile, self-centered and evil characters like Rubinsky, Trunicht, or De Villier, but he really did want to protect the Lohengramm Dynasty. Though his methods were Machiavellian and at times despicable, he really did believe that they were for the good of his country. They kind of leave it ambiguous at the end about why he died, but I do think he sacrificed himself. I think he and Murai were alike in the sense that they both did and had to do the thankless tasks of being the ones to absorb the hate.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Doctor Alien posted:

I just felt bad for the Free Planet Alliance, though. One thing that always got me about the show was how deeply ironic it was. The republican democracy was the corrupt form of government, whereas the dictatorship was shown as just.
At the beginning of the series both sides were hopelessly corrupt. Reinhard just fixed his. Though I guess there is an irony in there- They both also had brilliant, idealistic tacticians/strategists who could change everything, but because Yang believed in his side's democratic system he didn't want to tear it down. Reinhard had no respect at all for his side's aristocratic system so he was free to crush it and remake the Empire.

By having a halfway decent system the Free Planet Alliance prevented an idealistic prodigy from taking over and fixing things.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Doctor Alien posted:

I think Trunicht was just shameless, through and through. He used and allowed himself to be used for personal gain, and was the very embodiment of a corrupt politician. What's amazing is how well he managed to save face practically every time, though, especially in the beginning. He'd make others take the fall when something went wrong, and take credit for good he never took part in.

I was so glad when Reuental just shot him in the chest, point-blank. He just had it coming.

I just felt bad for the Free Planet Alliance, though. One thing that always got me about the show was how deeply ironic it was. The republican democracy was the corrupt form of government, whereas the dictatorship was shown as just. You want to root for Yang and company because you knew they were fighting a just cause themselves, but at the same time they were held back by corrupt forces and were up against a just and fair regime. That's why the show is so heartbreaking, though: there are heroes on both sides and they're killing each other. They all have sound reasons and justifications, but in the end it's still wrong that such good people are at each others' throats because they have opposing ideologies.

I do have to admit, though, Oberstein surprised me. I thought he was going to be one of those shameless, vile, self-centered and evil characters like Rubinsky, Trunicht, or De Villier, but he really did want to protect the Lohengramm Dynasty. Though his methods were Machiavellian and at times despicable, he really did believe that they were for the good of his country. They kind of leave it ambiguous at the end about why he died, but I do think he sacrificed himself. I think he and Murai were alike in the sense that they both did and had to do the thankless tasks of being the ones to absorb the hate.

Oberstein is another person who's tough to figure out. Why did he do what he did in the end? On the face of it I think it's like you say. On the other hand, he's kind of like a Vulcan-he did the "logical" thing for his country throughout, even sometimes allowing a small amount of people to die to prove a point-the nuking of that planet was very "needs of the many." He didn't show a lot of emotion--did he do what he did because it was logical, or because he had emotional convictions? It's hard to get into his head, and they make that point quite a bit-the only time he shows any human actions is in owning a dog.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Eiba posted:

At the beginning of the series both sides were hopelessly corrupt. Reinhard just fixed his. Though I guess there is an irony in there- They both also had brilliant, idealistic tacticians/strategists who could change everything, but because Yang believed in his side's democratic system he didn't want to tear it down. Reinhard had no respect at all for his side's aristocratic system so he was free to crush it and remake the Empire.

By having a halfway decent system the Free Planet Alliance prevented an idealistic prodigy from taking over and fixing things.

Exactly, Yang had plenty of opportunities to say, "Enough is enough, I'm taking over," and everyone knew it. Because of his philosophical and moral convictions, though, he couldn't allow himself to do that. He knew military intervention into civilian politics would set bad precedent, and he couldn't allow that. He believed that the military should follow the orders of the government that the people elected, and unfortunately all that did was tie his hands.

You're right, Lohengramm had no such qualms about removing the corruption from the system he grew up in, and so unlike Yang, he didn't have any such handicaps. But Yang was still right in the fact that while Reinhard may have been a good autocrat and dictator, that doesn't assure that his successors would be.

That's what I mean by both sides had their fair arguments. Lohengramm WAS a good Kaiser, instituted reforms that helped his common people and all but abolished the nobility. At the same time, though, no one elected him and if he were to die, the country would fall into chaos (this crisis would later be averted by the birth of his son). If he did leave heirs, there would be no assurance that they would be just rulers, and there was no accountability. At the same time, though, we see the kind of corruption that's possible within a democratic system, with sly politicians manipulating the public and one another to gain and maintain their own power. I think this was made quite evident by the fact that the primary concern for the Alliance's council was whether or not plans to invade Imperial territory would allow them to be reelected.

sensual benny
Aug 18, 2008
Nice to see some new discussion in this thread!

Honest Ray posted:

Wrong guy there. Ruenthal saw he was getting railroaded what with Lang dicking him, and the Earth Cult setting him up to fall with that rebellion, not to mention his own ambition. I don't think he would have turned without the outside impetus but when he saw what was happening he just embraced it because he was a man of ability and ambition. I hope I'm not getting my timeline messed up.

I think part of the impetus behind Reunthal's rebellion was because he felt it was what the Kaiser expected from him, and was asking for in his own way by appointing him as Neue Land Governor. The confrontation was kind of inevitable given both men's "war-god" personalities and the vacuum of powerful opponents to test themselves against. This is another issue where Kircheis could have almost certainly smoothed things over and prevented the gaps in communication and expectations between them.

I think Reunthal really says it all with his final arguement to Mittermeyer. "Wasn't I born to fight against the Kaiser and feel a sense of fulfillment from it?" The narrator of course doesn't miss the opportunity to remark on the irredeemable nature of tacticians.

Reunthal knew from the start that his rebellion was probably doomed. But for him it was really his way of showing his loyalty to the Kaiser.

sensual benny
Aug 18, 2008
And regarding Trunicht...

I still really don't quite know what to make of him. He doesn't seem to be a huge believer in democracy, given his powerful secret police force that eliminates political dissent, and his concern above all else with his own well-being over that of his nation (which democratically elected him to serve it). It feels like if he was working to implement constitutional reforms in the Empire (and Julian seems to believe he was, so I'm inclined to take his word for it), he had only his power in mind, certainly scheming to become Prime Minister and hopefully wield ultimate power once the position of Kaiser becomes only a figurehead. He's apparently very charismatic despite being the biggest rear end in a top hat of all time so maybe he could've even succeeded. That would actually be a really hilarious outcome for the series -- both systems that the characters fought so hard to preserve and topple would have survived in the worst possible ways. The Galactic Empire becomes a corrupt constitutional monarchy, with Trunicht at the helm ensuring that the form of democracy is present but none of its freedoms or implications.

That's a truly chilling vision, and in retrospect Reunthal's assassination of Trunicht may be a very significant moment in history since it prevented that ghastly path. It's also an open argument to Yang's conviction that assassination (well, ok, terrorism) has never changed history in any constructive way.

sensual benny fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Dec 9, 2009

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

sensual benny posted:

Reunthal's rebellion was because he felt it was what the Kaiser expected from him,
I actually got that part of it, but what I don't understand is why he let himself be led by the nose by third parties into this fight. I would have understood it if he'd done it after the Earth Cult, Rubinsky etc. had been safely disposed of and the only pieces left on the board were him and the Kaiser - that would have been a contest worthy of the ages - but instead he let himself be used as a pawn.

Compared to that, Oberstein is pretty easy to figure out: The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

sensual benny posted:

I think part of the impetus behind Reunthal's rebellion was because he felt it was what the Kaiser expected from him, and was asking for in his own way by appointing him as Neue Land Governor. The confrontation was kind of inevitable given both men's "war-god" personalities and the vacuum of powerful opponents to test themselves against. This is another issue where Kircheis could have almost certainly smoothed things over and prevented the gaps in communication and expectations between them.

I have no doubt whatsoever that his appointment was done by Reinhard to set up a worthy opponant. It's Reinhard's nature, one that would have been destructive if he'd lived longer. That's why I said in the other thread that his death was the only thing that could bring real peace, because ultimately he would have found some excuse to fight Julian. For him I think it's a subconscious dark nature-I think he really does want to believe in peace, reform, the good of the people, and wants to be the Emperor who goes to plays and has family. But he's got that hunger that won't be denied.

sensual benny posted:

And regarding Trunicht...

I still really don't quite know what to make of him. He doesn't seem to be a huge believer in democracy, given his powerful secret police force that eliminates political dissent, and his concern above all else with his own well-being over that of his nation (which democratically elected him to serve it). It feels like if he was working to implement constitutional reforms in the Empire (and Julian seems to believe he was, so I'm inclined to take his word for it), he had only his power in mind, certainly scheming to become Prime Minister and hopefully wield ultimate power once the position of Kaiser becomes only a figurehead. He's apparently very charismatic despite being the biggest rear end in a top hat of all time so maybe he could've even succeeded. That would actually be a really hilarious outcome for the series -- both systems that the characters fought so hard to preserve and topple would have survived in the worst possible ways. The Galactic Empire becomes a corrupt constitutional monarchy, with Trunicht at the helm ensuring that the form of democracy is present but none of its freedoms or implications.

That's a truly chilling vision, and in retrospect Reunthal's assassination of Trunicht may be a very significant moment in history since it prevented that ghastly path. It's also an open argument to Yang's conviction that assassination (well, ok, terrorism) has never changed history in any constructive way.

This is what we'll never know-we can't get inside Trunicht's head. He may have had a tiny kernal of good in him and been playing a really looonng game-maybe he was smarter than Yang and saw the falling of the FPA and hastened it to put himself in place to make the Empire better. He could have been the smartest, most calculating one on the show, willing to risk his life and reputation for the greater good.

Most likely though, he was just someone who managed to turn any defeat into a personal victory, and Ruenthal did the right thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous-san
Dec 1, 2004
.(
Oh my God I am so glad this thread still exists. I just marathoned the gently caress out of this show in about two weeks, and I'm having a hard time gathering up the gumption to watch the two movies because I don't want my LoGH experience to end ;____;

Seriously, I've heard the most amazing things about this show ever since I first saw this thread at a handful of pages back when I first bought my account, and a sliver of its episodes translated; it was always in the back of my head and I don't know WHY it took so long for me to watch it. But now that I have, I feel that I've reached a point in my life where I could really appreciate how absolutely ridiculously loving AMAZING this show is. So maybe it's a good thing that I watched it when I did.

Also holy gently caress I was reading some of the earlier pages where everyone was like OH GOD WE HAVE TO WAIT TWO MORE WEEKS FOR THE NEXT EPISODE TO COME OUT and I just felt really, really guilty for marathoning it like I did. Seriously. I got up in the morning and went to work and came home from work and watched a fuckload of episodes and passed out. I even put my monitor on my living room floor and laid down in front of it and I think I developed some sort of sloth-derived back problem from the experience.

I'm going to have a gently caress of a time persuading someone else to watch this show with me, though. I'll be down for rewatching it, after enough time has passed where I've forgotten enough details to preserve some semblance of the element of surprise; but it's going to be kind of hard to be like "Hey, buddy! Dude I'm going to come over your house EVERY DAY for the next TWO MONTHS and we're going to watch the loving poo poo out of this ANIME. Oh yeah and it was made TWENTY YEARS AGO but it's SO GOOD BROSKI TRUST ME OKAY."

Oh yeah, and until I read that post way the hell up there that talked about Oberstein's Dalmation I had completely forgotten about the fact that he even had a dog, since I don't think it was mentioned that many times; and that just made his last words so poignant and oh god ;____;

So yeah, thanks ManOfWax for making this thread back in the day because if it wasn't for this thread I would never have known that this show existed, and I never would have had that little seed planted in my head for the past five years that this was supposedly the best show ever created and that if I ever wanted to be cool on the internet I had better sit down and watch it eventually.

ALSO HEY SIMON I ASKED PEOPLE WHERE YOU WERE AND THEY SAID MASS AGAIN BUT GUESS WHAT I AM LIVING IN BALTIMORE NOW SO HIT ME UP OKAY. I MISS YOU .((((((