Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

congrats on figuring out how to use a machine with 4 buttons

twistedmentat posted:

I'm not watching this just to see how much they talk about New Order. No, not at all.

It was pretty nice in the late 90s when Daft Punk, Prodigy and Fatboy Slim were the biggest things out there. It looked like Electronic music might be the next big thing. Then BAM! Britney Spears and Backstreet Boys out of nowhere, and it killed it. And ever since then, it's been kid oriented bubblegum pop since.

actually, those two scenes moved in tandem with one another. they were nearest neighbors for a loooong time. you'd have a car drive by you blasting "Let Forever Be" then "Bye Bye Bye".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Threatis posted:

actually, those two scenes moved in tandem with one another. they were nearest neighbors for a loooong time. you'd have a car drive by you blasting "Let Forever Be" then "Bye Bye Bye".

It may have been different in other places, but Toronto seemed to completely dump one for the later very quickly. The Dance music station went from playing house and other electronic music to Boy Bands and Teen Girl singers almost over night. Well, I guess it's not that bad because I didn't have to hear Venga Boys anymore.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

It may have been different in other places, but Toronto seemed to completely dump one for the later very quickly. The Dance music station went from playing house and other electronic music to Boy Bands and Teen Girl singers almost over night. Well, I guess it's not that bad because I didn't have to hear Venga Boys anymore.

??

soooo what you're saying is that albums like "the fat of the land" fall under the same heading as the Vengabus album? because, those were two entirely different scenes, and while the danish dance pop gave way to the spice girls, it didn't really affect stuff like The Prodigy and The Chemical Brothers.

edit: and for different places, I'm coming from the same neck of the woods (ottawa), and i really did not see what you're describing at all.

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.

twistedmentat posted:

Just because that radio station traded one thing for another does not mean those two things are enjoyed by the same audience. It just means the station decided to appeal to a younger audience than they had before, just like Much Music and many other companies around that time.

I wouldn't blame any other music for killing electronic dance music in North America. It's just that after 1997, just like before 1997, there wasn't much electronic dance music that appealed to American tastes. People got tired of big beat, and Daft Punk went all stardust-discovery on them.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
I went home to visit LA and Power 106 (rap station) only dips below 120 bpm to play that Jay-Z song about New York. Everything else is uptempo partydude LMFAO-type rap. It's kind of crazy.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

stun runner posted:

I went home to visit LA and Power 106 (rap station) only dips below 120 bpm to play that Jay-Z song about New York. Everything else is uptempo partydude LMFAO-type rap. It's kind of crazy.

do they play "Dancing Like A White Girl"? PLEASE TELL ME THEY DO!

PhonyMcRingRing
Jun 6, 2002

Molotov Yogurt posted:

The Twelves

They put out a mix tape a few months ago that was an hour of dancey goodness. I highly recommend giving it a listen!

http://toomanysebastians.blogspot.com/2009/09/twelfth-hour.html

Iwate
Feb 17, 2009
I have been lurking since Justice had to look out because there was Danger afoot.

Thought I would contribute.
Anyone ever heard of Shameboy?
It helps me kick rear end and take names at whatever video game I play.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb5i2Q4eH9Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTnLIQJ9mcw
http://www.myspace.com/shameboy

And even though it doesn't necessarily go with the rest of this genre...
everyone loves them some breakfast:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-zfbDHipG8

Muttonchop
Jul 12, 2008
For anyone interested in a brand spankin' new Danger remix - Adult Swim have their latest compilation up.

http://www.adultswim.com/music/atl-rmx/index.html

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Listening to the original, when did Lil Jon go house?

Furnace
Mar 31, 2004

12 teams is where it's at, right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? YEAH! SOME THINGS YOU CAN'T UNSEE, BRO!
lil jons been all over the place, doin dubstep tracks with diplo, electro-pop with nobodies.

has anyone heard dj hell and bryan ferry - u can dance? remixes are killller from carl craig x 2, and simian mobile disco.

definitely for a more mature listener

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1n5I-p5B2o

loteck
May 25, 2005

what is BAPE?
I've lurked since the Danger thread, but does anyone else share my feeling that Danger has yet to really hit a stride with any remixes? I dug the hell out of his EP, but I'm failing to find anything inspiring in his remix work so far. Just me?

Osh
Jan 5, 2007
Say, Halo my Quake 3 in Bungie for Half-Life 2!

Muttonchop posted:

For anyone interested in a brand spankin' new Danger remix - Adult Swim have their latest compilation up.

http://www.adultswim.com/music/atl-rmx/index.html

Heh, it looks like they're calling him Danger Beach. Anyway, I like the track, but Lil Jon's vocals just seem to clash with Danger's style. Oh well.

loteck posted:

I've lurked since the Danger thread, but does anyone else share my feeling that Danger has yet to really hit a stride with any remixes? I dug the hell out of his EP, but I'm failing to find anything inspiring in his remix work so far. Just me?

I don't know, man. He has a few good ones. You might like his Love Juice remix, which I think is a lot like his first EP. Also, Revolte at 22h10 is awesome and apparently a remix of a song called Weak Generation. Then there's the Divine remix I posted on the last page and a rework of Boyz Noize's song Oh! called Ne.Oh!.Pen (named after his graphic designer, Neopen), which is worth sitting through the intro of to get to the good stuff.

Ronnie Spector
Dec 4, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

CHRISTS FOR SALE posted:

Daft Punk are probably the single most influential group in electronic music, perhaps tied with Aphex Twin or Kraftwerk. Anyway, they're amazing but NOT the originators of house music in the least bit. They also were not responsible for bringing commercial house music to America, as it was actually INVENTED here (in Chicago to be exact), predominantly by gay black people. What they did originate was the performance of original House music with live instrumentation and sequencers. With this setup, Daft Punk moved past the boring world of DJing into some actual semblance of musicianship.

Why have you not been thoroughly berated for this bullshit?

Man vs Child
Mar 21, 2004

by Ralp
And now, some shameless self promotion!

There's a remix contest going on by Uncovered Label based out of Ottawa (oh no threatis!) to remix Nima Saeedi's Yo Pass. Anyone is welcome to try, all the info and samples are available on facebook here

The original track is here available for you to listen here: http://soundcloud.com/uncovered/nima-saeedi-yo-pass

Unfortunately it's not based on votes so I can't get you guys to rig the contest for me, but here is the entry I whipped up for the contest. Nima Saeedi - Yo Pass (Zcientist Remix). I produce under Zcientist for the record! Hopefully someone likes it, and hopefully I win. The prize is getting on your track on beatport & the retail release so I am pretty stoked. Have a listen!

edit: Oh and I remixed Fake Blood - Mars too, in a slightly eurodance fashion, which is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ7yR0LHmJw and fun and not to be taken too seriously :)

and the reason christ's for sale hasn't been berated for his moderately dumb post is because that would put us back to square one, like the Danger hellhole thread before

Man vs Child fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 10, 2009

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
For you electro-house fans in New York, here's an event that can't be missed: http://www.terminal5nyc.com/event/3884

I'm seriously considering blowing a bunch of money to go up and see this. I dig Major Lazer's stuff ok, but Boys Noize and Proxy have been blowing my mind lately. 35 bucks doesn't seem tooo steep either.

Also I'm glad this thread has actually completed a page without someone taking a huge pretentious poo poo on Deadmau5.

Furnace
Mar 31, 2004

12 teams is where it's at, right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? YEAH! SOME THINGS YOU CAN'T UNSEE, BRO!

Ronnie Spector posted:

Why have you not been thoroughly berated for this bullshit?

because the last thread was full of that poo poo, and honestly, so he made the assumption that Daft Punk were the first ones to do live PA when there were a ton of producers doin the same thing before them, just not as flashy.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Furnace posted:

because the last thread was full of that poo poo, and honestly, so he made the assumption that Daft Punk were the first ones to do live PA when there were a ton of producers doin the same thing before them, just not as flashy.

But they did it dressed like ROBOTS, you see. Its very hard to argue innovation in music. I'm sure everything we like in whatever genre was already done by some experimental electronic band in the 70s. Daft Punk brought together different influences, and have a ridiculously good sense of repetition without becoming boring (no matter what that loving troll from the last thread says).

I really used to think Daft Punk were loving amazing geniuses, until I started digging deeper into house and all this other stuff. They're still amazingly talented, they just somehow got lucky enough to become a household name.

Anyway, this is already too much thinking. More bangers.

\/\/\/\/I think we should have a thread for every single genre of electronic music. I'll write the musique concrete thread.

Caseman fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 10, 2009

professor muthafukkah
Feb 27, 2006

oh lord...
So can we also talk about minimal in this thread or is that somewhere else? I only listen to minimal at certain clubs I go to and would really like to know some of the famous artists and tracks. If anyone could help out, thanks, and if this isn't the place to talk about it then just ignore me.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Fors Yard posted:

Listening to the original, when did Lil Jon go house?
He's been house as hell forever. http://eastvandisco.blogspot.com/2009/11/felix-da-housecat-x-lil-jon.html

PhonyMcRingRing
Jun 6, 2002

Cyril Sneer posted:

Why was there a new thread created? Electro-pop and house/techno/synth are sufficiently differentiated to warrant seperate threads. We all know this is just going to turn into a house re-re-re-re-mix thread. As a fan of electro-pop, I'm really not interested in looking through page after page of MSTRKRFT and Chromeo mixes...

The whole reason for the electro-pop thread was that its a genre that tends to get completely overlooked in threads such as these.

I have to agree. I support this thread and all, but I thought it was to replace the Danger thread. I didn't know mine was going to be closed along with it.

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.

ManoliIsFat posted:

He's been house as hell forever. http://eastvandisco.blogspot.com/2009/11/felix-da-housecat-x-lil-jon.html

I was about to cite "Krazy" and "Calle Ocho" but drat!

Man vs Child
Mar 21, 2004

by Ralp

professor muthafukkah posted:

So can we also talk about minimal in this thread or is that somewhere else? I only listen to minimal at certain clubs I go to and would really like to know some of the famous artists and tracks. If anyone could help out, thanks, and if this isn't the place to talk about it then just ignore me.

You can definitely talk about minimal/ambient in this thread. You totally can't talk about your minimal stuff here, het's orders! I intended this to be a catchall for most electronic genres but minimal and ambient do not fit in with our 4/4 partytime.

And all you electropop folks just need to come out of the woodwork and start posting about your favourite electropop songs and such. By all means do not feel intimidated by the phiz bloghouse & bangers crew (they're all jerks anyway!). I may add a bunch more electropop stuff to the OP here soon to clarify. Personally I'm just torn between both of the genres because I like them so much. Having it all go down in one thread makes this easier. But yeah, post your electropop! La Roux, Annie, Memory Tapes, Little Boots, etc, they are all welcome here :)

Man vs Child fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 11, 2009

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Furnace posted:

lil jons been all over the place, doin dubstep tracks with diplo, electro-pop with nobodies.

has anyone heard dj hell and bryan ferry - u can dance? remixes are killller from carl craig x 2, and simian mobile disco.

definitely for a more mature listener

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1n5I-p5B2o

Yes, this track loving rules. The new DJ Hell is one of the top albums of 09 IMO, Electronic Germany might be my favorite though, it's got a great retro Kraftwerk-esque sound to it, Hell really follows in the footsteps of a lot of classic German stuff in a noticeable and interesting way
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDItlpU2Mdo dj hell - electronic germany

professor muthafukkah posted:

I will post the poo poo out of some minimal in this thread and never run out. What are some specific DJs you remember liking? Minimal is a very broad genre with a lot of different regional styles. But if you just want random stuff to try, some fairly well known artists who have been releasing HOT HOT HOT stuff lately are Ben Watt, Stimming, Nick Curly, Lauhaus, Dusty Kid, 2020 Soundsystem, The Field, Radio Slave, Claude Von Stroke, GummiHz, Steve Bug, Andomat 3000, Joseph Capriati, Martinez, Pantha du Prince, Efdemin, Gabriel Ananda, and Gui Boratto. If you've gone to a minimal event in the past couple months you've probably heard this track, a real goodie in the tribal sort of sound that a lot of ppl are attempting but not everyone has been able to pull off
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZKYHO3-o7s coyu & edu imbernon - el baile aleman

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 11, 2009

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Threatis posted:

??

soooo what you're saying is that albums like "the fat of the land" fall under the same heading as the Vengabus album? because, those were two entirely different scenes, and while the danish dance pop gave way to the spice girls, it didn't really affect stuff like The Prodigy and The Chemical Brothers.

edit: and for different places, I'm coming from the same neck of the woods (ottawa), and i really did not see what you're describing at all.

To me it seemed that one form of music was the top dog, and then it was replaced by another, which is normal, though It was nice to have something other than pre-fab pop bands.

And It really did feel like it changed over night.

And no, I'm not saying that they're the same, but when a musical style is popular because of some really great bands, there's a lot of poo poo that gets shoveled out by record companies. How many people remember how many lovely Grunge bands there were?

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

To me it seemed that one form of music was the top dog, and then it was replaced by another, which is normal, though It was nice to have something other than pre-fab pop bands.

And It really did feel like it changed over night.

And no, I'm not saying that they're the same, but when a musical style is popular because of some really great bands, there's a lot of poo poo that gets shoveled out by record companies. How many people remember how many lovely Grunge bands there were?

thats the thing: it didn't change overnight, because they were both running in tandem with each other for a majority of time. I'm not saying that you're wrong because our opinions are different, I'm saying you're wrong because the facts aren't even correct.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
If that electro-pop/Little Boots/La Roux thing floats your boat, I really love this remix of Little Boots by Treasure Fingers (apparently TF used to be a dnb producer but haven't looked into it, kinda interesting considering the sound his electro remixes take). It's about a year old but the cheesey as gently caress bassline still gets me every time for some reason:

Little Boots - Meddle (Treasure Fingers Remix)

Tualek
May 28, 2006
Small Body
Has anyone here seen Fake Blood live? God drat, I need to see that.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~

trill rear end posted:

hey yall! new thread treat!!!

Seeing as this says teaser does that mean there is a full version? Where can one pick that up at?

aejix posted:

If that electro-pop/Little Boots/La Roux thing floats your boat, I really love this remix of Little Boots by Treasure Fingers (apparently TF used to be a dnb producer but haven't looked into it, kinda interesting considering the sound his electro remixes take). It's about a year old but the cheesey as gently caress bassline still gets me every time for some reason:

Little Boots - Meddle (Treasure Fingers Remix)

:laffo: funniest music vid I have ever seen.

dongsweep fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 11, 2009

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Is there any place I can download some Danger? Or that I can at least purchase it? I prefer Amazon MP3...but last I checked they only had a few songs and had him confused with some lovely rap group.

When is he coming out with a cd or something of the sort?

Furnace
Mar 31, 2004

Tualek posted:

I saw him last Feburary in a club that fits 200 ppl at the most.

It was like Caligula up in that bitch.

loteck
May 25, 2005

what is BAPE?

Lowness 72 posted:

Is there any place I can download some Danger?

I don't know what counts as :filez: around these parts so I'm not linking anything, but google Danger EP 9/14 2007 or look it up at your favorite source for music downloading and you should be able to find something. Tracks in question have names like 9h20 and 11h30.. check his myspace.

vossi
Mar 29, 2007

Spiderpig. Spiderpig.

Tualek posted:

saw him in january in a very small club show - was rad and all you'd expect! :)

Dazed and Confused
Apr 6, 2007
lots of people talk and few of them know
Has anyone seen Proxy live? Hopefully going to make it out to a show tonight. Just want to know what to expect.

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

dongsweep posted:

Seeing as this says teaser does that mean there is a full version? Where can one pick that up at?

be patient, young padawan

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

Lowness 72 posted:

Is there any place I can download some Danger?

The Hype Machine is always a good source, but you'll have to search for specific song names since Danger is such a common word.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

It is not my intention to turn this into a youtube thread, but I if people want music to hardcore electro music to dance to then i'll just have to continue expounding the virtues of Designer Drugs:
IAMX - Spit it Out (Designer Drugs Remix)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-Jw0H8VED4
Annie - Anthonio (Desinger Drugs Remix) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMWopPgSGBs

Also just to get the ball rolling, Alex Metric is loving awesome:
In Your Machine - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsiqku1-09c

I've personally been listening to dance music since the early 90s, and I admit I started with BT's Dreaming...I took a long break in college, but the electro scene brought me back thankfully. Now i'm trying to break into the DJ scene in San Antonio, which is loving fruitless gotta say because we only acknowledge the 70s 80s and 90s, and the "Djs" here are loving awful, no exceptions. Still, gotta pander to the idiotic, idiotic masses...
Always keen on new music.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Lowness 72 posted:

Is there any place I can download some Danger? Or that I can at least purchase it? I prefer Amazon MP3...but last I checked they only had a few songs and had him confused with some lovely rap group.

When is he coming out with a cd or something of the sort?

Uh, Amazon has both of his EPs 9/14 2007 and 9/16 2007. He's due for a new EP this month, and a full length next year, which might see wider physical release than just an LE LP.

Edit:

Osh posted:

Heh, it looks like they're calling him Danger Beach.

He tends to do that with remixes, I think it is more of an adjective so "Beach Remix" describes the idea he was going with for his remix. The We Are Scientists one had "Danger TV Remix", and the analog television aesthetic is a common theme in his visuals.

Though, I did just notice that only "remix" is not capitalized, so they probably did think that was part of his name...

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 11, 2009

Man vs Child
Mar 21, 2004

by Ralp
I think i've got a little something for everyone with this post.

First up is something for my synth pals, Tycho. He's an IDM (god I hate that term) artist from San Fran. He recently released a track to the blogs called Coastal Brake. It's an easy listening ride down synthpop lane. He doesn't have many albums but Sunrise Projector and Past is Prologue are both very good and worth picking up if you're in to this sort of synth/idm material.

I'm sure some of you have heard Dre Skull's I Want You, but have you heard the remixes? AC Slater remixed this fun and fidgetty remix that I cannot stop moving my body to, there's just enough wobble & fidget to keep you dancing throughout the whole song. You can find more remixes of I Want You on the tubes.

And for some italo love, I've got a 1928 remix of College's track Can You Kiss Me First. As a huge fan of nudisco this track really gets me moving (you are dancing to this music are you not? you are a fool if you're just sitting still). Another track in similar vein is a vs with Erik Hassle and Penguin Prison. What they do to you is Hurtful.

Mooqee, a relatively unknown breakbeat artist from the UK who has collab'd with breaks master Krafty Kuts several times, remixed everyone's favourite Eric Prydz track, Pjanoo (Mooqee edit). If you're in to breaks at all then this should be right up your alley, also if you like breaks then you should check out my good friends at http://nsbradio.co.uk a 24/7 breaks & breakbeat radio station.

And now to break out the bloghouse! Combo's hit Crystal Ocean is a catchy tune but remixer extraordinaire Wolfchild got ahold of it and turn it in to a grittier bangin' version Combo - Crystal Ocean (Wolfchild Remix). It makes me literally want to swim in an ocean of crystals, and also dance a lot. Chinese producers Nhan & Taan got ahold of Malente & Dex's hit Hyperactive and turned it in to one banging dancefloor destroyer. Just look at how awesome they look:

And now to finish this post off with one of my favourite remixers, Redial. He has remixed the most absolutely devastating Killers remix that I have ever heard in my life. The Killers - Somebody Told Me (Redial Goes Oldschool Remix) Make sure your subs are up for this, you wont regret it I'm serious, turn this poo poo up. He recently also remixed some Empire Of The Sun which im sure you aussies have heard enough of already which was featured on deathelectro here or on my youtube here.

alright that's enough from me for now! It may be unavoidable to just post youtube links to songs but it's kinda our only option with these genres. Just keep the content good and we're on our way to having a happy thread where we all get along!

Man vs Child fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 12, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

UnSmith posted:

It is not my intention to turn this into a youtube thread, but I if people want music to hardcore electro music to dance to then i'll just have to continue expounding the virtues of Designer Drugs:
IAMX - Spit it Out (Designer Drugs Remix)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-Jw0H8VED4
Annie - Anthonio (Desinger Drugs Remix) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMWopPgSGBs

Also just to get the ball rolling, Alex Metric is loving awesome:
In Your Machine - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsiqku1-09c
Okay just to be clear:

1) There's no problem with linking to youtube videos. It would be ridiculous not to link to youtube videos, they're an extremely convenient way of allowing people to sample the music. What I'd rather not see is lots of posts that are just lists of youtube links with just the artist/track title and that's it.

2) You say "I'll have to continue expounding the virtues of Designer Drugs" and then to proceed to say nothing else on the subject. I'm honestly baffled by someone specifically saying that they're going to explain something or go into detail, and then pasting 2 youtubes and changing the subject. Please, expound upon the virtues of Designer Drugs, it would be welcomed!