Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

MrBling posted:

Goldplating seems to be very important to these people.
you tell us about it, Mister Bling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

qirex posted:

you tell us about it, Mister Bling

I make sure to suck out all the oxygen before applying the gold plating, that's another important thing.

99% OXYGEN FREE COPPER!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

MrBling posted:

Doubt they're too angry. I'm pretty sure they can still convince audiophiles that HDMI doesn't accurately transport sound and that they need to use toslink instead. Then again, can you goldplate a toslink connector? Goldplating seems to be very important to these people.

Video in my audio?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

MrBling posted:

Doubt they're too angry. I'm pretty sure they can still convince audiophiles that HDMI doesn't accurately transport sound and that they need to use toslink instead. Then again, can you goldplate a toslink connector? Goldplating seems to be very important to these people.

I've seen gold plated toslink connectors. What's worse is a quick google search reveals that they're disturbingly common.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

eddiewalker posted:

Video in my audio?

gently caress :doh: what was I thinking?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
You know what my favorite thing is about these 'audiophile' video components is that 99% of the time, the people reviewing them, despite having a crazily expensive stereo with billions of tweaks, watch them on a dinky television that was low-end when it came out 30 years ago. Except for the audio. Somehow they have their lovely TV hooked up to a high quality set of speakers.

It's like that 3D mat review. The guy basically goes "My 13 inch Zenith VCR/Combo might not have the best picture, but I can swear, the DVD looks rounder with the mat! Just let me adjust the V-hold a bit..."

proudfoot
Jul 17, 2006
Yak! Look! a Yak!

MrBling posted:

Meridian actually claims that mixing Audio and Video in the same cable is bad - even in a digital bit-streaming mode. Of course, they also sell a product to remedy this situation.

http://www.meridian-audio.com/product-model/accessories/hd621-hdmi-audio-processor.aspx

quote:

Many components today supply both audio and video via the same HDMI cable, which compromises quality. The HD621 separates the HDMI signal from up to six sources into its audio and video elements, maximising the audio quality and delivering it to your Meridian system free of video pollution, while the video content is fed direct to the display via a single cable, eliminating additional switching.

It splits a 5.1 system into 3 different SPDIF outputs, all of which should be used with only the highest grade Meridian cables.

Lets ignore the fact that audio and video had to travel in the same cable before reaching the splitter.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
What a great name for a web site; how could this possibly go wrong.
http://www.soundstage.com/editorial.shtml

quote:

The first product is, to some, one of the most outlandish I’ve ever reviewed: the Zandčn Audio Systems 2500S CD player. It plays only CDs, uses 20-year-old DAC chips, doesn’t oversample or upsample, and costs $22,000. Given the continuing decline of CD sales and its archaic technology, the 2500S might seem an overpriced dinosaur. But live with it a while, as I did, and you’ll realize that it’s a CD player like no other.

If that isn't to your liking then shazam get some rainbow acid foil.

http://www.soundstage.com/feedback/resp26.htm

quote:

Then I
carefully applied two skinny strips of Rainbow Foil per the instruction's
diagram. I hit the play button on my transport's remote.

Son of a bitch -- I mean, SON OF A BITCH. I was stunned. The soundstage had just gotten deeper and very three-dimensional. The resolution was incredible, allowing me to hear things I'd not heard before, similar to the other tweaks, except magnified. I tried another disc. Same result. I tried an HDCD. Same result. I listened to an unfoiled disc and it sounded muffled and unexciting. I added the foil and shazam, the liveliness of the music returned and my speakers disappeared.

If I tried rainbow foil, heard things I'd never heard before, and watched my speakers disappear only to be replaced with a live band I would also be impressed.

Holy poo poo I was joking about Tesla coils improving audio performance. Meet the Synergistic Research Tesla Tricon USB Cable a bargain at $550 for a 1 m cable.

http://www.soundstage.com/digitaldomain/200907.html

quote:

Exactly how Synergistic subjects its Tesla cables to quantum tunneling is shrouded in mystery, but a video on the company’s website shows the essence of the procedure. Basically, every cable in the Tesla line is hooked up to a large Tesla coil and zapped with 2 million volts.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 11, 2009

proudfoot
Jul 17, 2006
Yak! Look! a Yak!
Someone's paying that reviewer something. Or feeding him drugs.

But as for players using older DAC chips - some people find the crappy distortion pleasing. On AV forums I frequent, someone wrote that his 1989 Tube CD player was better than his new SACD player. He felt that SACD felt too "detailed and bright", and much preferred the "smoothness" of regular CD or vinyl.

Other people lambasted him for being an idiot, and that higher resolution was the point of SACD. But like many people, he seemed to prefer a somewhat distorted output.

proudfoot fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 11, 2009

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I don't have an issue with people preferring lovely sound output. My mother doesn't like good quality stereos or high quality sound. I think she finds it to be information overload.

The bit that I enjoy is someone must be paying $22,000 to get a lovely CD player so that they can enjoy sounds the same way as my mother (or grandmother as the case may be).

I, too, enjoy paying a small fortune to have a retirement village quality party.

Princess
Oct 11, 2009

That's it, man. Game over, man. Game over!

Devian666 posted:

I think she finds it to be information overload.

I've encountered this phenomena as well. In addition to this information overload it's been my experience that it generally has to do with a resistance to change and people wanting to be exposed to what they're used to, as well.

What I mean is that my mother didn't grow up listening to a guitar, she grew up listening to a version of the guitar that sounded muffled and distorted. It doesn't matter to her that it was just recorded and replayed using inferior methods and formats, it's the sound to which she is accustomed. To her, it's what a guitar should sound like.

When it comes to younger people embracing older technologies, I think their reasoning might be two-fold: 1. older and ancient people and their ways were wiser, and 2. the "pleasing" distortion to which proudfoot referred.

As I'm typing, I'm asking myself "why am I trying to analyze these people?" I guess it's because I'm scared.

Each of these "audiophiles" is a person who probably has a job and a social network. They make decisions each day. Choices which may affect or influence other people. Decisions which may be made using the same flawed logic to which they apply in their hobby. Logic that seems to be guided by the principles of more expensive = better and more implausible = more advanced.

In these reviews and comments, it seems the less they understand how something works, the more they are convinced that the technology is beyond their ability to understand it.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances

Devian666 posted:

I don't have an issue with people preferring lovely sound output. My mother doesn't like good quality stereos or high quality sound. I think she finds it to be information overload.

I don't buy this at all. Ask her if she can't stand live, un-amped performances because even the the master tape of an symphony played on the most expensive speakers in the world wouldn't convey as much audio information as the real thing.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Princess posted:

In these reviews and comments, it seems the less they understand how something works, the more they are convinced that the technology is beyond their ability to understand it.

The products seem like such obvious frauds because they rely on technology that does not/can not exist. It seems like the consumer would need to believe that the greatest physicists and electrical engineers in the world are making Nobel worthy advances to science and only using them to further their never ending quest to make Huey Lewis & The News sounds just a little bit better.

proudfoot
Jul 17, 2006
Yak! Look! a Yak!

Pibborando San posted:

I don't buy this at all. Ask her if she can't stand live, un-amped performances because even the the master tape of an symphony played on the most expensive speakers in the world wouldn't convey as much audio information as the real thing.

Remember that her memory of a live performance probably involved a very powerful, and very old tube amplifier that added its own tube distortion.

A symphony is a different matter - but quite a few people don't listen to symphonies. For many of our parents, the concert they attended in the 1970s had an amplifier which produced quite a bit of distortion.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Princess posted:

It's very common that people don't want to pay money for professional advice. However, they assign value to free advice, or worse free advice from salesmen. The world is full of gullible people.

proudfoot
Jul 17, 2006
Yak! Look! a Yak!
I find talking with audiophiles supremely frustrating. If you attack a salesmans claims, they'll retort with "YOU HAVEN'T HEARD IT!, HOW CAN YOU KNOW ITS NOT TRUE"? And the salesman will have invariably heard it, and invariably be able to describe such a product as more "musically pleasing/wider soundstage/more dynamic/less fatiguing".

I wonder why they form such a weird defense mechanism, it's like this type of people exist to be scammed.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

proudfoot posted:

I find talking with audiophiles supremely frustrating. If you attack a salesmans claims, they'll retort with "YOU HAVEN'T HEARD IT!, HOW CAN YOU KNOW ITS NOT TRUE"? And the salesman will have invariably heard it, and invariably be able to describe such a product as more "musically pleasing/wider soundstage/more dynamic/less fatiguing".

I wonder why they form such a weird defense mechanism, it's like this type of people exist to be scammed.

Ask them how to quantify 'more musically pleasing'.

proudfoot
Jul 17, 2006
Yak! Look! a Yak!

blugu64 posted:

Ask them how to quantify 'more musically pleasing'.

Well, its more, you know, musical. I mean, look, my ears are more sensitive then that
200k o-scope. What? Can you talk louder? I'm getting a little deaf these days.

But you have to hear this (mod that cannot be returned) to believe it!

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
My favorite part of this thread remains the audiophiles trashing the professional musician with perfect pitch because he just didn't have a good enough ear to hear what they were hearing. Playing music is a whole different skill set from listening to music apparently.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Acinonyx posted:

My favorite part of this thread remains the audiophiles trashing the professional musician with perfect pitch because he just didn't have a good enough ear to hear what they were hearing. Playing music is a whole different skill set from listening to music apparently.

they bust out the same "logic" whenever anyone points out that the studios all music is recorded and/or mastered in all use cheap cables [except the ones that Monster Cable bays a bunch of money to]

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Acinonyx posted:

I recommend just chilling about it. They are demanding that you scam them. The best technique for scamming is when people who are not involved with the scam recommend it to others, and defend it when attacked.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

proudfoot posted:

Well, its more, you know, musical. I mean, look, my ears are more sensitive then that
200k o-scope. What? Can you talk louder? I'm getting a little deaf these days.

But you have to hear this (mod that cannot be returned) to believe it!

It's all in the small details you cannot notice, young man. Even if you are not conscious, these noises beyond our frequency range will affect your subconscious to reduce your enjoyment of music.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Elentor posted:

It's all in the small details you cannot notice, young man. Even if you are not conscious, these noises beyond our frequency range will affect your subconscious to reduce your enjoyment of music.

This post really brightened up the forum's sub-aural soundstage.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mr. nazi posted:

This post really brightened up the forum's sub-aural soundstage.

The servers now benefit from an anti-magnetic field that will definitely enhance the CPU processing for a more fluid posting experience, and reduce jitter. With the sub-aural influences on the server cables, we should also expect our posts to be processed much faster!

Edit: So is anyone interested in making an audio review website? I have some good ideas and from the looks of it it seems we can get a lot of stuff to test. Will be fun to test in real life all these amazing technologies that can truly enhance your enjoyment of mu$ic.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 20, 2009

Willie D
Dec 29, 2006

by Ozma
I go to the Bristol Sound and Vision show every year

http://www.bristolshow.co.uk/

I would say about 10% of the rooms are full of scammers trying to sell things like equipment racks that give a "vast improvement" in sound to all equipment. I sat in on one demonstration the guy was moving an amplifier from an already "decent" equipment rack to his and people were agreeing it made a difference, he backed up his claim when I said I didn't notice anything with a review and he gave the authors name as if I should know who it is :psyduck:

http://www.audioitalia.co.uk/home.html - these guys are coming next year, joy!

Willie D fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Dec 20, 2009

proudfoot
Jul 17, 2006
Yak! Look! a Yak!

Elentor posted:

The servers now benefit from an anti-magnetic field that will definitely enhance the CPU processing for a more fluid posting experience, and reduce jitter. With the sub-aural influences on the server cables, we should also expect our posts to be processed much faster!

Edit: So is anyone interested in making an audio review website? I have some good ideas and from the looks of it it seems we can get a lot of stuff to test. Will be fun to test in real life all these amazing technologies that can truly enhance your enjoyment of mu$ic.

I'm setting up a website for just this, and to debunk lovely audiophile things. I'm an undergrad studying electrical engineering, and I have access to all sorts of fancy gear that I can guarantee are far superior to human hearing.

PM me if you'd like to help.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

proudfoot posted:

I'm setting up a website for just this, and to debunk lovely audiophile things. I'm an undergrad studying electrical engineering, and I have access to all sorts of fancy gear that I can guarantee are far superior to human hearing.

PM me if you'd like to help.

Your science and logic will not deter these people. Instead of trying to persuade them, you should make the site more educational for the normal guy who might get suckered into these snake oil deals by seedy salesmen or their greasy audiophile friend.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I posted on Head-Fi under the username "NotJeffBuckley" and was uninvited from the "No Blind Test!" discussion forum after repeated violations of their suspension of disbelief. They will absolutely say that their hearing can detect things that an oscilloscope can't. You will never reach these people. You should channel that effort instead into ripping them off with a lot of stupid bullshit products that net you about 10,000% profit on the materials that go into them and offer nothing but the finest placebo effect to the retarded but wealthy end user.

proudfoot
Jul 17, 2006
Yak! Look! a Yak!

Agreed posted:

I posted on Head-Fi under the username "NotJeffBuckley" and was uninvited from the "No Blind Test!" discussion forum after repeated violations of their suspension of disbelief. They will absolutely say that their hearing can detect things that an oscilloscope can't. You will never reach these people. You should channel that effort instead into ripping them off with a lot of stupid bullshit products that net you about 10,000% profit on the materials that go into them and offer nothing but the finest placebo effect to the retarded but wealthy end user.

One of these routes requires alot more time, and substantially more work. Also, the audiophile grade bullshit market is pretty tapped out at the moment,

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

proudfoot posted:

One of these routes requires alot more time, and substantially more work. Also, the audiophile grade bullshit market is pretty tapped out at the moment,

Not to sound a jerk since I actually think the idea of a debunker website is kinda funny, but you know that the audiophile grade market is never tapped out, right? You can just invent something ABSURD. I mean, in the past few pages we've seen a black box that protects the sound from outer space and a cable energized by 2 million Tesla coil volts.

Here's an idea: A program that preloads a file, makes redundancy checks in it and then tests it back and forth multiple times and shows how much jittering the music file will have. Then for only $49.90 you can unlock the unique anti-jittering buffer system done in software that will attempt to compensate for the "unequal bit distribution" by allocating the file in the best parts of the memory. Hell, if the guy has faulty ram memory, it might even really improve his sound which is more than these $1000 products will ever do!

Stupid idea? Yes. Still viable? Hell yes.

Hell I have many other even better ideas, too bad I'm not a coder.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Dec 21, 2009

205b
Mar 25, 2007

Elentor posted:

Not to sound a jerk since I actually think the idea of a debunker website is kinda funny, but you know that the audiophile grade market is never tapped out, right? You can just invent something ABSURD. I mean, in the past few pages we've seen a black box that protects the sound from outer space and a cable energized by 2 million Tesla coil volts.

Here's an idea: A program that preloads a file, makes redundancy checks in it and then tests it back and forth multiple times and shows how much jittering the music file will have. Then for only $49.90 you can unlock the unique anti-jittering buffer system done in software that will attempt to compensate for the "unequal bit distribution" by allocating the file in the best parts of the memory. Hell, if the guy has faulty ram memory, it might even really improve his sound which is more than these $1000 products will ever do!

Stupid idea? Yes. Still viable? Hell yes.

Hell I have many other even better ideas, too bad I'm not a coder.

This is brilliant, but you need a friend selling audiophile grade RAM in case people try to throw more expensive hardware at the problem instead of buying the program.

proudfoot
Jul 17, 2006
Yak! Look! a Yak!

ninepints posted:

This is brilliant, but you need a friend selling audiophile grade RAM in case people try to throw more expensive hardware at the problem instead of buying the program.

Goddamn, this is an amazing idea. Audiophile grade ram modules. You could probably sell at least a few.

Unfortunately, I don't think most audiophiles use the computer for listening to music, and for those that are competent enough to setup an HTPC, they won't buy such things.

You're best off making discrete components, even if they are useless devices such as "Noise Harvesters".

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

proudfoot posted:

Audiophile grade ram modules.

Monster© Sata Cables - "Turn your BitStream into a BitRiver! Powered by Monster BitFlow© technology"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Monster makes gold-tipped iPod sync and charge cables man.
http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Cable-iCharger-Charger-Firewire/dp/B0000918U2

* Exclusive Smart Digital Charger technology ensures fast, accurate charges and maximizes battery life
* Unique, innovative flush-mount design for a compact appearance
* 3-stage LED charge indicator light lets you know charging stage status
* 24k gold contracts for optimum power transfer and corrosion resistance
* Includes convenient 10-foot cord

$46

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

fishmech posted:

Monster makes gold-tipped iPod sync and charge cables man.
http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Cable-iCharger-Charger-Firewire/dp/B0000918U2

* Exclusive Smart Digital Charger technology ensures fast, accurate charges and maximizes battery life
* Unique, innovative flush-mount design for a compact appearance
* 3-stage LED charge indicator light lets you know charging stage status
* 24k gold contracts for optimum power transfer and corrosion resistance
* Includes convenient 10-foot cord

$46

Where on earth do you have to live where corrosion is a problem that plagues your electronics?

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

HKR posted:

Where on earth do you have to live where corrosion is a problem that plagues your electronics?

It's hard to set up a good soundscape here on the planet Mercury.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
That's not a terrible price for an accessory for an Apple product that's almost 10 years old.

And I actually deal with corrosion on audio connectors all the time. Even TT/TRS jacks that -never- touch water start needing some burnishing after a while

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

That's not a terrible price for an accessory for an Apple product that's almost 10 years old.

And I actually deal with corrosion on audio connectors all the time. Even TT/TRS jacks that -never- touch water start needing some burnishing after a while

I'm constantly digging through vintage electronics from the 60s-70s and rarely see corroded connectors.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Are you arguing whether metal corrodes? I just pulled this out of my trash. It's only a year or so old, but quit making a reliable connection due to corrosion.

(I didn't solder that. It's ugly but was functional before it met the elements.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

Are you arguing whether metal corrodes? I just pulled this out of my trash. It's only a year or so old, but quit making a reliable connection due to corrosion.

(I didn't solder that. It's ugly but was functional before it met the elements.)

Do you live on a houseboat or something? What the gently caress...