Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Reliability. Tuning isn't that bad and you can essentially run it forever. It's not going to be as fast as a turbo, but its going to be a lot less likely that you'll be replacing parts as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

DreamOn13 posted:

Thanks for the pic. What are you referring to when you say "crashpad"? I just picked up a couple Forza seats actually and will mount them to the floor. Hopefully it all works out and I'm well under the roll bar. :)

That pad that runs on the top of the door about shoulder height.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Baby Hitler posted:

Some people want set-it and forget-it stuff, and even with a GT2554R, theres a small amount of lag.
I hardly think full boost before 3.5k is lag.

Phone posted:

Reliability. Tuning isn't that bad and you can essentially run it forever. It's not going to be as fast as a turbo, but its going to be a lot less likely that you'll be replacing parts as much.
Tuning is the same as anything else? There's no difference. Superchargers require maintenance too, so I don't see any reason maintenance-wise to pick one over the other, with the exception of chronic stud issues with people who track turbo Miatas.

destructo fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 9, 2009

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

destructo posted:

I hardly think full boost before 3.5k is lag.

Don't know what planet you are from, but thats called lag. My DSM made 10psi before 3000, and my GTX makes its 9 or so at under 2300. Both stock.

Its boost threshold in reality, but nobody seems to know the difference.

destructo posted:

Tuning is the same as anything else? There's no difference. Superchargers require maintenance too, so I don't see any reason maintenance-wise to pick one over the other, with the exception of chronic stud issues with people who track turbo Miatas.

I don't know about the Rotrex, but the Eaton everyone uses is nigh-on-sealed and only has 100K miles oil change intervals. Maybe a snout bearing here or there, but mechanically no less durable and reliable than a turbocharger kit. Hang a haevy turbo off a N/A exhaust side with shallow studs (the GTX studs are like 1/2" longer) and that is what happens. A brace would seem to help, thats what was done with the GTX, a little metal brace that hooks to the block.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 9, 2009

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Huh, there's a megathread about studs loosening on miataturbo.net, maybe you should toss that info over there.

That said, here's an LS2 swapped NB.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Who makes the CF fastback?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Phone posted:

Who makes the CF fastback?

Is it even available for purchase yet? I saw one awhile back on some forums, but was told they were still working on the final product.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
It's an Autokonexion one wrapped with 3m DiNoc vinyl.
http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=26228

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

mafoose posted:

It's an Autokonexion one wrapped with 3m DiNoc vinyl.
http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=26228

That's faggy on an unbelievable level. The autoconexion kit has always looked really nice, but that goddamned vinyl wrap is just completely ridiculous.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

Hypnolobster posted:

That's faggy on an unbelievable level. The autoconexion kit has always looked really nice, but that goddamned vinyl wrap is just completely ridiculous.

There's nothing like adding weight to look like you're saving weight!

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
At least it looks like they did a good job. You can see it going under the windows and all that good stuff.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Whoever said the slave cylinder was an easy job obviously has small girlish hands. Also, I think I'm hosed - it looks like somebody rounded off the hard line. I'm currently stuck trying to get that off, then theoretically to put the new one on. It doesn't help that I absolutely cannot get into there - I'm either working one-handed or under the car with no visibility.

I hate my car sometimes.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

Krakkles posted:

Whoever said the slave cylinder was an easy job obviously has small girlish hands. Also, I think I'm hosed - it looks like somebody rounded off the hard line. I'm currently stuck trying to get that off, then theoretically to put the new one on. It doesn't help that I absolutely cannot get into there - I'm either working one-handed or under the car with no visibility.

I hate my car sometimes.

This happened to me, I rounded off the union nut and it ended up being a huge bitch. Cut the steel line to get the stupid thing off, eventually, so I had to re-flare it, too.

Also, I'm thinking about getting an aftermarket steering wheel to get more clearance between the bottom of the wheel and my thighs, which bugs me a lot in tighter corners. I'm thinking about going down to around 300mm, but most of the smaller wheels out there that aren't tiny oval-shaped racing things are around 320. Any recommendations on something that is in a similar style to this?

I'd love it of there was a nice simple wooden one like the Nardi that a lot of people switch to, but they only seem to make that in 350mm.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

I hate my car sometimes.

I have giant goddamn Sasquatch hands and didn't have any trouble with that job. Did you pull the passenger wheel off?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I have giant goddamn Sasquatch hands and didn't have any trouble with that job. Did you pull the passenger wheel off?

Yeah, wheel is off. Good lord that was a pain, but it's done.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 11, 2009

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Same, and I dont recall pulling the wheel off.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Apr 23, 2005
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Before:

After:

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Did you replace those or go after them with a headlight restorer kit?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I hope that was with a resto kit because mine don't look much better than his before pic, and I don't want to have to replace them.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

Yeah. Maybe I'm just not getting it, but what's the benefit of the composite plastic lens headlights? all I see is that they fog over and cost $600 to replace and piss everyone off.

What's wrong with my sealed beams?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Apr 23, 2005
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Did you replace those or go after them with a headlight restorer kit?

It looks brand new, but it is actually the factory 1999 headlight. I paid a local guy to do it for me and he used materials from Lenzsaver. I think the kit is about $60 (I paid him $100 total for parts+service for both headlights). It took about an hour and they look great now.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 12, 2009

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Yeah. Maybe I'm just not getting it, but what's the benefit of the composite plastic lens headlights? all I see is that they fog over and cost $600 to replace and piss everyone off.

What's wrong with my sealed beams?

You don't need to replace them. Even a once over with car polish every few months keeps them usable (won't get them as nice as that before and after) and only takes a couple of minutes.

As for what wrong with sealed beams - dim light at the best of times and they require a popup mechanism to hide their ugly roundness away when not in use.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Any of you guys notice the articles about the ND Miata being lighter than the NC (about 2200lb) and with a smaller engine from the new SKY-G line. Seems like a return to the late NA / early NB formula, with a bonus of much better fuel mileage.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Any of you guys notice the articles about the ND Miata being lighter than the NC (about 2200lb) and with a smaller engine from the new SKY-G line. Seems like a return to the late NA / early NB formula, with a bonus of much better fuel mileage.

I'm really excited to see how the ND shapes up between now and production. The little tidbits I've heard (like you mentioned) definitely do seem to indicate that it will be a lighter, more efficient, and maybe even smaller car than the NC. I've also read that the exterior design will be more "aggressive" than the NC (whatever that means).

That's all well and good, but I'd also really like to see an improvement in power-to-weight ratio. Even if they drop a couple hundred pounds of curb weight, if they also drop the power output (somewhat, although not necessarily, implied by the smaller engine) we'll still be getting the same borderline-underpowered car that we've got now. Granted, it will (hopefully) have snappier, tighter handling by dropping the pounds.

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand the "momentum" philosophy, and I truly do love my NA and it's ~130 horses of fury, but I'd still really like to see Mazda step up their game in the "fast" department a little bit. I don't expect a Corvette-killing drag racer, but being able to beat Camries and minivans off the line would sure be nice.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
How does the trunk work on those fastback things? I assume this works the same way as the S2000 one. But I have no idea how that works either.

Dragon's-Maw
Jul 31, 2003
I be here.

Ziploc posted:

How does the trunk work on those fastback things? I assume this works the same way as the S2000 one. But I have no idea how that works either.

If I remember right, it doesn't.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Guinness posted:

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand the "momentum" philosophy, and I truly do love my NA and it's ~130 horses of fury, but I'd still really like to see Mazda step up their game in the "fast" department a little bit. I don't expect a Corvette-killing drag racer, but being able to beat Camries and minivans off the line would sure be nice.

What would be nice is if they design more than 1 type of engine. You know, like a day-one, factory Mazdaspeed that isn't a loving joke.

e: some article on internet from 2008

quote:

He also revealed the car would pick up an electronic power steering to help conserve more fuel.

gently caress this.

quote:

An inside source has now revealed to GoAuto that the next MX-5 is being developed on a new platform to be shared with a second 2+2 seater coupe, which has been branded as the spiritual successor to the RX-7.

The same platform of a 2+2? Doesn't make too much sense, tossing this one.

quote:

As for the MX-5, the source revealed the car would come with a range of light and compact 1.4 and 1.6L engines with direct-injection and turbocharging technologies.

Awesome.

quote:

Other goodies will include an optional dual-clutch transmission

Eh, now I can't yell at people for considering an automatic Miata.

quote:

...as well as a revised suspension set-up that does away with the bulky double wishbone front end on today’s car.

gently caress this.

Phone fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 12, 2009

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Hahah, yes the pesky bulky double wishbone suspension, such a relic!

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Shit happens when you party naked.
I'm down with 1.6L options but electric PS can take a f

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

revmoo posted:

Hahah, yes the pesky bulky double wishbone suspension, such a relic!

What are they trying to pack in there that they need even more space for? The engine clearly isn't a concern. I guess they want better safety structure?

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

kimbo305 posted:

What are they trying to pack in there that they need even more space for? The engine clearly isn't a concern. I guess they want better safety structure?

They aren't saying anything. The specs are not from Mazda and clearly just someone trying to troll the Mazda community. If you read the whole thing over at the miata.net forums it is clearly a bunch of stupidity made for no other reason than to anger people.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I may be purchasing Miata #5 this week. I totally wasn't planning this, but I got a call from my buddy at the Mazda dealership and was offered a leftover '09 Grand Touring Manual w/soft top, premium package and suspension package for $22250. If I can break even or better on my Civic Hybrid I'm all over it.

Also, I think 0-60 in 6.5 sec can whip all 4-cylinder Camrys and at least equal the V/6s ones.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

Nothing to see here.

Aws
Dec 5, 2005
Everything (confirmed) about the ND sounds awesome. I'm just worried about a designer with a ridiculous haircut filling it with "sporting emotion" because the marketing department said it was a good idea. I want ground clearance and 15 inch wheels, and no ridiculous bulging fenders for 205mm of rubber. And don't do any weird poo poo in the interior. Goddamn kids these days.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

The only "sporting emotion" that the ND needs is a good power/weight ratio and decent handling, plus someone who enjoys driving.

See, the "sporting emotion" is the :buddy: look on the driver's face.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs050.snc3/13746_10100175887092744_9328195_64902906_3600294_n.jpg

Xmas gift has arrived!

Alpine Amp - Free from brother
JVC HD Radio HU - $99
Infinity Reference 6.5" component speakers - $99

Can't wait to install em :dance:

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

How easy is it to install a decent head unit in a miata in such a way that you don't have to worry about it getting stolen? Mine spends most of it's time with it's top off, little tramp that it is.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

mafoose posted:

They fit on the stock rails like I stated and work really good til the last 2-3inches.

In the last bit they would fit fine if the rails would offset the seat towards the trans tunnel, but if you do that you wouldn't be able to slide it forward enough to bolt it down in the back (at least easily).

I have a 94 and with the Miata rails attached it dented my crashpad slightly. I also had to mount a little strip of metal (1/8 mild steel) to be able to bolt up the belt receiver as it is mounted to the seats on the 1.8s.

You can see that bit by the end that hits if I try to go back further.

Another question I just thought of. How do you have the seat belt routed? Is it going through the opening in the seat or around it? I have a feeling that it won't really hold me that well if it isn't going through the holes in the sides of the seat, since it has to go around the bolsters but obviously won't know until I try it out. If you don't have them routed that way, can you check to see if the "male" side of the seat belt will fit through the hole in the side of the seat to mate up with the "female" section? I have a feeling they won't fit, but I haven't taken the seats out to the garage to check on it yet.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Gookistamano posted:

And don't do any weird poo poo in the interior. Goddamn kids these days.

Like baby poop orange leather upholstery?

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Tactical Bonnet posted:

How easy is it to install a decent head unit in a miata in such a way that you don't have to worry about it getting stolen? Mine spends most of it's time with it's top off, little tramp that it is.

Pretty much all headunits now have detachable faceplates on them. If I am leaving my top down I just take it off and lock it in the center console.