Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

ineptmule posted:

Considering how absurdly protective the 'hams at my local GW are over their OOP RARE TENTACLE PINK they'd probably murder me for my two pots if they had any inkling I had them.

That's retarded. Vallejo Game Color comes in Squid Pink which matches Tentacle Pink about as exactly as any two pots of Tentacle Pink match each other. It's still in print and retails for 2.99 so you can probably find it cheaper if you look.

So the answer is clearly to paint your bases Tentacle Pink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The answer is to rebottle squid pink and sell it at $6 a pot

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Just got a pot of menoth white base. Probably gonna use it for all my bleached bone from now on, then wash it with sepia. Hope it looks good

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Get menoth white highlight, its the best highlight color for like...every color

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

no :colbert:

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Menoth White Highlight looks like a slightly whiter Bleached Bone to me, which means it has Tyranid applications. PV, do you mind sharing what you usually use for a nice off-white bone color like the lighter areas of those goreous Nurgle marines you did a while back?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Its very light, its basically a very warm white.

Are you talking about the bones/skulls areas of the nurgle marines? If youre talking about the main body color, I wont give out that recipe (and trust me, you dont want to do it, its really time intensive)

but the actual "bone" areas are just MWH + sepia

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

While the shades I use for painting flesh are dependent upon the figure for the reasons outlined above, most commonly I use a mix of Vallejo Warlock Purple from their Game Colour range, and Charadon Granite, again from Games Workshop's foundation range, along with a little Dheneb Stone mixed in. The figure in the picture below has had the above mix applied over a Dheneb Stone base.

how the hell does that work

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Its basically a warm tone using a cool shade. The trick is making the gradation from flesh tone to purplish shade subtle.

Its basically painters technique applied to little space man painting

Tetris Crowley
Aug 17, 2007
who wants waffles!?
I apologize for my noobness, but I didn't know where else to ask, what happened to the Warhammer thread? I can't see to find it.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

OopsIpwntMyWaffles posted:

I apologize for my noobness, but I didn't know where else to ask, what happened to the Warhammer thread? I can't see to find it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3224113

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Iron Squid posted:

Berkeley

Yeah, Warmachine doesn't happen nearly as much at Endgame these days as I understand it, but Finn is there and he does some amazing work. Sadly, when I went there last time they didn't have a lot of P3 paints and were virtually empty on brushes - think I hit 'em when they were waiting on suppliers. Apparently GF9 supplies have been drying up too since GF9 changed owners.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
You mean I was following the GBS thread when there was one solely for good models with no sperging about the game? :fiesta:

I am going to be reading this topic from now on.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

BuffaloChicken posted:

You mean I was following the GBS thread when there was one solely for good models with no sperging about the game? :fiesta:

I am going to be reading this topic from now on.

We sperg about brushes and mold lines here. RAI and RAW discussions can't hold a candle to black primer vs white primer or painting before assembly vs painting after assembly.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Aranan posted:

We sperg about brushes and mold lines here. RAI and RAW discussions can't hold a candle to black primer vs white primer or painting before assembly vs painting after assembly.

I am pretty sure you're being mostly ironic ((Except the mold lines.)), but I've been in GW stores in which this really was the case!

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Aranan posted:

And drilling barrels, drat it.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Grey primer will set you free. :smug:

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Attention Everyone

I am on the verge of sending Lowtax a strongly worded PM regarded the unfair treatment of this thread. Rest assured that our voice will be heard.

:smith:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Make sure you threaten his "mongrel daughter" like that other guy did.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Iron Squid posted:

Attention Everyone

I am on the verge of sending Lowtax a strongly worded PM regarded the unfair treatment of this thread. Rest assured that our voice will be heard.

:smith:

Tell him that PV rules it like a tyrant and we're not goING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Make sure you threaten his "mongrel daughter" like that other guy did.

Nah, I can't mess with someone's family.

Also, Lowtax has a daughter?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
What happened to this thread? It disappeared from my bookmarks and I had to go back to the tale of goon gamers thread to find the link again.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I have no idea. I've just kept the tab open in my browser since its inception.

Micro Art Studios is making even more cool "generic" modular bits. Check out these Crusader Legs!

How about these Elf Ranger Torsos to go with some new Elf Ranger Legs?

Aranan fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 13, 2009

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Nice, I really like MAS's stuff.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Fix posted:

Tell him that PV rules it like a tyrant and we're not goING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE

magnetbox
Jun 7, 2002

I Heart Thomas and Guy-Man

crime fighting hog posted:

Just got a pot of menoth white base. Probably gonna use it for all my bleached bone from now on, then wash it with sepia. Hope it looks good

I used menoth highlight and sepia wash to get this bone effect.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

We don't have the highlight at my store god damnit

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

crime fighting hog posted:

We don't have the highlight at my store god damnit
http://www.thewarstore.com/product1223.html

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Lately, I've been mixing my own colour of 1:1 Shadow Grey:Skull White. Am I just making Space Wolves Grey? I have a horrid feeling I'm doing just that.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
So, I might be crazy, but I'm basing my Salamanders with a snow theme! :byodood:
I've found some pretty awesome snow tutorials thanks to this thread, so I've been eager to try them out. Plus, I like the whole "fire and ice" thing.
Any ways, I've decided that I would lay a foundation of slate on the bases before adding the snow, to give it a little something apart from bland white. For anyone interested in using slate, head on over to Lowel's. They keep it in stock at all times as far as I can tell (most flooring places don't), and if you take their already broken tiles off their hands, you can get them for $.25 a square foot.

I'll post photos of work in progress soon, but if anyone has suggestions or advice from working with snow bases before, I'd love to hear it.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Sole.Sushi posted:

I'll post photos of work in progress soon, but if anyone has suggestions or advice from working with snow bases before, I'd love to hear it.

Thought for a potentially neat base: use Water Effects or something similar to simulate the snow melting from the heat of their flamers and other heavy weaponry. Hell, maybe you can even get steam, though I have no idea how you'd pull that off.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Kestral posted:

Hell, maybe you can even get steam, though I have no idea how you'd pull that off.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/vol/vol1282.htm?source=froogle

Damn Gina
Feb 26, 2006
The Great Outdoor Fight

MasterSlowPoke posted:

how the hell does that work

Mind informing me what line that miniature is from?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

That's Bloodbowl's "The Mighty Zug". It's fairly new.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
How long does green stuff take to dry? I think its been around an hour now and its still kind of flexable. The green stuff itself is a few years old, could that have anything to do with it?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Dr. Lenin posted:

How long does green stuff take to dry? I think its been around an hour now and its still kind of flexable. The green stuff itself is a few years old, could that have anything to do with it?

Give it a good 12 hours to be certain.

Reginald Garibaldi
May 1, 2004

Don't make me get all D&D!
I've looked through this entire thread and came up with nothing. Does anyone have a good tutorial for painting light effects (OSL)? I'd be eternally grateful if you do.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Im not sure if anyone here has done much of it. Ive dabbled, but I probably wouldnt be able to write a good tutorial.

What I would suggest is finding OSL tutorials on CMON and linking them here :v:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
This is the only OSL tutorial I've run across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Aranan posted:

This is the only OSL tutorial I've run across.

When I get my unpainted necrons out I'm so going to try this effect with their guns. . .

• Locked thread