Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glynis27
Sep 13, 2006
Destroyer of Dreams
Just wanted to say that I got one of those exhaust cutters someone posted earlier (like a chain with metal discs) and it is the greatest thing ever! No more loud tools or shards of hot metal and rust flying all over the place. Has been making this exhaust build for my Jeep much less horrible. Thanks so much. I was totally dreading it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Ok, some of you may have heard that i've been going at this stuck bolt in a ZX2 for two weeks now. After using a Quik Center kit on the remains of the stud, the whole thing is well and truly hosed. (Quik Centers apparently don't work so well with no threads left on the stud, upside down, inside a 1.25" hole.) This bolt has GOT to get the gently caress out. Basically, I have two options left. One is to remove the entire subframe and work on the bolt from above, the other is to use a ball bit in a die grinder and go at the remains from underneath. This is a sway bar bracket bolt, btw.

The plan is to grind the stud away until there's just the nut welded to the frame left. Then, drill a hole dead center in that nut, run another 8.8 bolt from the top and put a washer and another nut on the bottom. The stock fastener is pretty well hosed after today.

Anyway, I KNOW my air compressor is not up to the task of running my grinder. I'll get about 10 seconds out of it, then wait 5 minutes for a recharge. It's going to take all day to remove .75" of hollow bolt stud. The compressor is fully home-made by my grandpa back in the 50's. He was working at Brown/Fintube at the time, and welded the tank up from stuff at work. I'd say it is 2.5' in diameter, and maybe 3' tall off the floor including the stand. He used some big honking 110/220 motor, and a compressor off a scrap refrigerator from that era. So recharge time is just poo poo! The tank is fine and, I think, plenty big enough for one person to use at a time. Are there any companies out there that will sell just a compressor and motor combo? Something that will just pump the HELL out of some air? I've seen some W-3 compressors at the store, and I want a ridiculously fast recharging pump in my garage.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Glynis27 posted:

Just wanted to say that I got one of those exhaust cutters someone posted earlier (like a chain with metal discs) and it is the greatest thing ever! No more loud tools or shards of hot metal and rust flying all over the place. Has been making this exhaust build for my Jeep much less horrible. Thanks so much. I was totally dreading it.
Yeah, but you can't light a smoke off of it. When I got my exhaust replaced, I watched the mechanic, and he lit a cigarette with the gas axe while he was taking off the old muffler. Can't get much more :rock: than that.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Delivery McGee posted:

Yeah, but you can't light a smoke off of it. When I got my exhaust replaced, I watched the mechanic, and he lit a cigarette with the gas axe while he was taking off the old muffler. Can't get much more :rock: than that.

If you've got an oxy/acetylene torch, tapping the oxygen at a friends cigarette is all kinds of fun. It makes it disappear amusingly quickly. (warning, might catch on fire, I don't suggest doing it if they've got it by their face unless you don't like them much)

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Just curious what kind of fill times I should expect for a 80gal tank.

Specs say I get:
* 14.6 CFM's @ 40 PSI
* 14.1 CFM's @ 90 PSI

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

ease posted:

Just curious what kind of fill times I should expect for a 80gal tank.

Specs say I get:
* 14.6 CFM's @ 40 PSI
* 14.1 CFM's @ 90 PSI

80 gal = 10.7 cubic feet

(10.7/14.6) * (60 seconds) = ~45 seconds

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Skyssx posted:

Anyway, I KNOW my air compressor is not up to the task of running my grinder. I'll get about 10 seconds out of it, then wait 5 minutes for a recharge. It's going to take all day to remove .75" of hollow bolt stud. The compressor is fully home-made by my grandpa back in the 50's. He was working at Brown/Fintube at the time, and welded the tank up from stuff at work. I'd say it is 2.5' in diameter, and maybe 3' tall off the floor including the stand. He used some big honking 110/220 motor, and a compressor off a scrap refrigerator from that era. So recharge time is just poo poo! The tank is fine and, I think, plenty big enough for one person to use at a time. Are there any companies out there that will sell just a compressor and motor combo? Something that will just pump the HELL out of some air? I've seen some W-3 compressors at the store, and I want a ridiculously fast recharging pump in my garage.
Do you have a dremel with a good quality carbide ball grinder?

Delivery McGee posted:

Lighting smokes with a torch is nothing, I do that on a weekly basis, now lighting them off a glowing piece of metal that was just cut off/had a piece cut off of it, is AI as gently caress. As is lighting smokes on an exhaust manifold of an engine that has spent the last 10 minutes running at full throttle and then some.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
I just bought a fiberoptic borescope with 3.5" wireless LCD monitor and SD-card video recording capability. :smug:

While on a mundane run to Home Depot to buy an extension cord and bolts, a Milwaukee branded borescope with a small attached screen caught my eye. Looked cool, but I'm not spending $250 on that - even though the number of times something like this would have come in incredibly handy, and the time it would have saved me to have it when I needed it would have made it pay for itself 1000x over by now. Of course since I'm a huge nerd and electronic LCD gadgets get me all :awesome:, I just couldn't let it go, and kept thinking of times when I would have killed to have access to this type of tool, and how awesome it would be to have on hand for next time...

So, my curiosity now up, I went home and got on the internet in search of a low quality cheap Chinese knockoff version. Lo and behold, I found one at Harbor Freight for $99, detachable wireless monitor and all (which the Milwaukee lacked). :monocle: Awesome! So, I was gearing up to buy this one, when I caught wind of a version floating around with a larger screen and the ability to record videos to an SD card...

Now the one I was going to get wasn't good enough anymore :saddowns: and I had to find the fancy one for sale. Find one I did - on Ebay with a BIN of $160, which I promptly bought. I have a bad habit of impulse buying tools though, it's starting to get expensive. :sigh:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Black88GTA posted:

I just bought a fiberoptic borescope with 3.5" wireless LCD monitor and SD-card video recording capability. :smug:

While on a mundane run to Home Depot to buy an extension cord and bolts, a Milwaukee branded borescope with a small attached screen caught my eye. Looked cool, but I'm not spending $250 on that - even though the number of times something like this would have come in incredibly handy, and the time it would have saved me to have it when I needed it would have made it pay for itself 1000x over by now. Of course since I'm a huge nerd and electronic LCD gadgets get me all :awesome:, I just couldn't let it go, and kept thinking of times when I would have killed to have access to this type of tool, and how awesome it would be to have on hand for next time...

So, my curiosity now up, I went home and got on the internet in search of a low quality cheap Chinese knockoff version. Lo and behold, I found one at Harbor Freight for $99, detachable wireless monitor and all (which the Milwaukee lacked). :monocle: Awesome! So, I was gearing up to buy this one, when I caught wind of a version floating around with a larger screen and the ability to record videos to an SD card...

Now the one I was going to get wasn't good enough anymore :saddowns: and I had to find the fancy one for sale. Find one I did - on Ebay with a BIN of $160, which I promptly bought. I have a bad habit of impulse buying tools though, it's starting to get expensive. :sigh:

That's not as bad as me buying a Hitachi table saw for $100 just because it was a good deal and shipping was free with Amazon prime. I think Amazon spent more to ship the saw (a big 100lb box) with 2-day DHL than the thing was actually worth. I live in a condo so there's really no place for me to actually use the saw and its sat in a closet for a couple years now. Tool impulse buys are always the worst.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Anyone here have a Craftsman Dogbone? how is it?

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

scapulataf posted:

I have a Dremel...

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

b0nes posted:

Anyone here have a Craftsman Dogbone? how is it?

Looks perfect for rounding off nuts and bolts and your knuckles.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
How about a http://www.amazon.com/Expedition-Tools-Hydrokinetic-Adjustable-Wrench/dp/B001LQH1NQ hydrokinetic wrench? Seems like it would be less than useful on stuck bolts under the hood but anyone use one?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ExtremeODD posted:

How about a http://www.amazon.com/Expedition-Tools-Hydrokinetic-Adjustable-Wrench/dp/B001LQH1NQ hydrokinetic wrench? Seems like it would be less than useful on stuck bolts under the hood but anyone use one?

I got one as a gift for christmas about 2 years ago.

Broke it the first time I used it that spring.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
Holy poo poo that's cool. How did you break yours Rhyno?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kynetx posted:

Holy poo poo that's cool. How did you break yours Rhyno?

I went after a bolt with it and the inner adjuster thing broke and went loose. It made a loud THUNK sound when it happened.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

RealKyleH posted:

80 gal = 10.7 cubic feet

(10.7/14.6) * (60 seconds) = ~45 seconds

I'm guessing that means 45 seconds to 40 psi so shouldn't the rate grow as the PSI grows?

I'm guessing right now it takes about 10 minutes to get to 100psi.

honestshrubber
Mar 22, 2005
Buy anything at the After-Christmas sale from Harbor Freight and get a 25% off coupon for one item. But the coupon's only good on New Year's day :v:

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

honestshrubber posted:

Buy anything at the After-Christmas sale from Harbor Freight and get a 25% off coupon for one item. But the coupon's only good on New Year's day :v:

Just start making a list of all the crap you need. Buy some .99 safety glasses on the 25th, then use your ultra coupon on the 1st. I think I might buy some things like a jack and engine hoist with that coupon.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

scapulataf posted:

Lighting smokes with a torch is nothing, I do that on a weekly basis, now lighting them off a glowing piece of metal that was just cut off/had a piece cut off of it, is AI as gently caress. As is lighting smokes on an exhaust manifold of an engine that has spent the last 10 minutes running at full throttle and then some.
You forgot brake discs...

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I need a 8X10 Shed, and think I want one of those tent ones. I can get one for $230 from canadian tire, but I hate buying things from Canadian Tire that aren't on sale. I can't seem to find any in the states that aren't either 10x20 car ports, or the cheezeball camping ones. Any hints? I can order a 10x10 one from walmart US for $200, but maybe I would be better off just getting the local one.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Are electric leaf blowers any good? I want to get one so I can use it to dry my car, and for the other odd times I need one (getting pine needles off the roof, etc). They seem to be a fair amount cheaper than the gas ones (especially since I'm in CA and have to buy a CARB certified one), and less effort / hassle (and I imagine quieter).

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
I have a Shop-Vac that the motor comes off of and you can use as a leaf blower, seems to work ok.

This one http://www.epinions.com/pr-Shop_Tools-Shop_Vac_10_Gallon_Wet_Dry_Blower

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Electric leaf blowers are still plenty loud, I have a Toro that will leave my ears ringing after too long on the highest setting (it also puts out a considerable amount of thrust at that setting!)

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Suniikaa posted:

I have a Shop-Vac that the motor comes off of and you can use as a leaf blower, seems to work ok.

This one http://www.epinions.com/pr-Shop_Tools-Shop_Vac_10_Gallon_Wet_Dry_Blower

I have a ridgid version of this. It's a bad rear end vacuum, but the blowing power is nothing compared to backpack gas blowers. It does move leaves, but not as easily as a dedicated gas machine.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/16-Gallon-Vac-Blower/index.htm

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009
This week I found a 4,000 lbs Hydraulic floor jack made by Larin for $25. I've never heard of the brand but I bought one, has anyone used one?

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

blindjoe posted:

I need a 8X10 Shed, and think I want one of those tent ones. I can get one for $230 from canadian tire, but I hate buying things from Canadian Tire that aren't on sale. I can't seem to find any in the states that aren't either 10x20 car ports, or the cheezeball camping ones. Any hints? I can order a 10x10 one from walmart US for $200, but maybe I would be better off just getting the local one.
I've been looking around for an moderately-priced pre-fab garage myself. One of these days I'm going to get around to quoting out a concrete slab and an aluminum structure. Anyone have any experience in regards to a vague ballpark price(i.e. thousands or ten-thousands) I should be expecting or any recommendations on materials?

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Jared592 posted:

I've been looking around for an moderately-priced pre-fab garage myself. One of these days I'm going to get around to quoting out a concrete slab and an aluminum structure. Anyone have any experience in regards to a vague ballpark price(i.e. thousands or ten-thousands) I should be expecting or any recommendations on materials?

The first question is how big do you want your shed to be, and what do you want to put in it? This will determine the size of the foundation, which is likely to be the most expensive part.

giundy
Dec 10, 2005
HF pipe wrench, I wasn't even abusing it at the time, just trying to get a square nut. I got a nasty scrap on my elbow when it snapped.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
^^^
That's one of the orange-handle deals right? I bought one of them too...total piece of crap. The guides that allow you to change the space between the jaws are all mangled/mis-forged/burred up from the factory and make the tool basically worthless. It came as part of a kit including 2 other so-far-decent types of pliers. For the price, it was still a good deal.

fatman1683 posted:

The first question is how big do you want your shed to be, and what do you want to put in it? This will determine the size of the foundation, which is likely to be the most expensive part.
Comfortably large 1-car is what I'm looking for. What that means to me is that I'm not having to gingerly open the doors and slither in through a 5 inch crack whenever I want to get in or out of the car and have room for a workbench and toolbox behind the car. I'm seeing the going rate for the pre-fab structures at around $5-6k, to which I'd then need to add the cost of:
  • the concrete slab
  • electrical
  • insulation/heating (I live in the northeast and am all too familiar with drafty garages and the delayed pulsing pain of busted knuckles in the blistering cold).
...so all in all I'll end up spending 15k to house a $4k car, $2k in tools, and a fridge full of beer. :q:

Been looking at some of these since they have a ballpark estimator on this site:
http://www.horizonstructures.com/singlecargarage.asp

Jared592 fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 16, 2009

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

giundy posted:

HF pipe wrench, I wasn't even abusing it at the time, just trying to get a square nut. I got a nasty scrap on my elbow when it snapped.

Thats not a pipewrench

Thats a pipe wrench.

those were channel lock pliers

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Jared592 posted:

Comfortably large 1-car is what I'm looking for. What that means to me is that I'm not having to gingerly open the doors and slither in through a 5 inch crack whenever I want to get in or out of the car and have room for a workbench and toolbox behind the car. I'm seeing the going rate for the pre-fab structures at around $5-6k, to which I'd then need to add the cost of:
  • the concrete slab
  • electrical
  • insulation/heating (I live in the northeast and am all too familiar with drafty garages and the delayed pulsing pain of busted knuckles in the blistering cold).
...so all in all I'll end up spending 15k to house a $4k car, $2k in tools, and a fridge full of beer. :q:

Add to that a bit of engineering work (soil sampling), plus likely building permits if you want to pour a slab.
The reason for it is you can't just pour a slab wherever you feel like it, and not expect the ground underneath to settle a little bit. You aren't just putting down a few patio stones at the four corners of a shed you're building. Unless its built on solid rock, its bound to settle, and then you can't get the doors open etc.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't read this post fully before I did my last one, or I would have combined the two.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I don't know where he lives, but around here in southern new england, the only soil sampling you ever need to do for residential is for septic systems and wetland delineation. Simply remove the topsoil, dig the footing, compact the dirt, compact sand/gravel fill, pour footing, repeat for the slab.

You might want to contact a surveyor if you don't know exactly where your property lines are so you don't build it within a setback.

ease fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 17, 2009

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

scapulataf posted:

those were channel lock pliers

:eng101:Slip-joint pliers. Channel Lock is a (frighteningly well-defended) brand name. Ask me about the time blood came out of my ears.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Speaking of wrenches...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
IDK if I mentioned it yet but in a completely unsurprising turn of events I have been working for an electrical tool and safety cable company called Daniels Manufacturing for about three months now. I'm mostly updating a set of MIL-SPECs, doing grunt Autocad work, etc. as an engineering intern. Its really help me understand how small parts in tools work together more thoroughly, what wears on ratchets, why, etc.

http://www.dmctools.com/default.htm

If you've never heard of them its because they have very few automotive applications, although that may be changing. They mostly make MILSPEC tools for various aerospace applications like crimping contacts, crimping terminals for most gauges of wire up to 0000. Its really an awesome company to work for.

AnomalousBoners fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 17, 2009

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

grover posted:

Speaking of wrenches...

What is this?
(besides hilarious)

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

RealKyleH posted:

gauges of wire up to 0000. Its really an awesome company to work for.

Huh, I've never seen that. I have to work with pretty big cabling, and the stuff we use makes a measurement unit change past 4/0 (is that the same as 0000?) We start measuring in MCM (Million Circular Mils) and it pretty much starts at 350 and goes up to 800.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
yea 4/0 = 0000 = 4 "aught"

It'll probably do thicker, this was for testing the crimps and I only had up to 4/0 available. I was using the HH80C. Based on the tonnage it'll probably crimp up to 750MCM like the HC134 but I am not aware of MIL SPEC dies for it past the 4/0.

http://www.crimptech.au.com/hydraulic_crimp_tools.htm

AnomalousBoners fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 17, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

ab0z posted:

What is this?
(besides hilarious)
Old Photoshop thread about protips. Can't recall if it was a phriday or not.