Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Criterion (or someone measuring their sales) put out a list of their ten biggest selling DVDs ever a couple of years back.

Fear And Loathing was far and away #1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

The Cameo posted:

Criterion (or someone measuring their sales) put out a list of their ten biggest selling DVDs ever a couple of years back.

Fear And Loathing was far and away #1.

I'm not surprised. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was my first Criterion and it's still one of their best releases.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Just out of curiosity, were Wes Anderson's movies on that list at all? For a long time The Royal Tenenbaums was by far the DVD I saw around the most.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Criterion's Facebook posted:

2010 is AK's centennial, so one imagines there will probably be some Kurosawa Blu-rays

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Macrame_God posted:

I'm not surprised. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was my first Criterion and it's still one of their best releases.

Me too. I'd also say that it might be because it has one of the more eye-catching boxart. Then I went and tracked down the old 3-disc non-anamorphic Brazil as fast as I could.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Cacator posted:

Me too. I'd also say that it might be because it has one of the more eye-catching boxart. Then I went and tracked down the old 3-disc non-anamorphic Brazil as fast as I could.

I got that one too. I'm a sucker for great packaging. I just love my Criterion copy of Videodrome. :3:

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

Macrame_God posted:

Cacator posted:

Macrame_God posted:

I got that one too. I'm a sucker for great packaging. I just love my Criterion copy of Videodrome. :3:

I agree with all of you :) Those 3 movies look stunning on my shelf. The Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas case is perfect for the fim. Brazil (well I have the anamorphic one...) is a personal favorite of mine. Feels substantial in my hands and always draws the eyes. And what else could I say about Videodrome? Replica Betamax Tape? Genius.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I think obsessing over packaging is ridiculous, but Criterion 99% of the time presents films in the classiest way possible. When I see the bland or poorly composited covers, it makes the film look cheap. They also manage to capture the film within one image.

Even better that their BluRay editions are in custom cases. They'll always stick out amongst the ugly blue-topped cases everyone else uses.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The Criterion Blu-ray cases are really gorgeous. They're about as thick as a DVD, neutrally colored, and incredibly sturdy. It's fun just to handle one.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The Criterion Blu-ray cases are really gorgeous. They're about as thick as a DVD, neutrally colored, and incredibly sturdy. It's fun just to handle one.

I agree. It sucks that my copy of Benjamin Button has one of those typical blue cases though. :(

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion has the rest of the BluRay cases available for their digipak releases, except for Bottle Rocket. Also, it's $5 each for the first two replacements; $2.50 each for additional cases. You can go ahead and order the BR case so they can ship the whole set together when it's ready.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I guess $27.50 is better than $45. Thanks for the heads up.

By the way, you send payment to store@criterion.com

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The copy of Nights of Cabiria I ordered from B&N has yet to arrive. I got an email from B&N telling me that they're out of stock and if I still wanted the product to go to my purchase history on their website and confirm that I was still interested. They kept telling me that they're determined to get me a copy if I want it so bad, but I'm starting to get worried. It's been a month now and no Nights of Cabiria. :(

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Macrame_God posted:

The copy of Nights of Cabiria I ordered from B&N has yet to arrive. I got an email from B&N telling me that they're out of stock and if I still wanted the product to go to my purchase history on their website and confirm that I was still interested. They kept telling me that they're determined to get me a copy if I want it so bad, but I'm starting to get worried. It's been a month now and no Nights of Cabiria. :(
Don't get your hopes up. They canceled my order of it after sending me Ran and Contempt. They probably oversold stock or were given less or no copies of the film.

It stinks for me since my wanted to expand my knowledge of Fellini which constitutes of just the first 20 min. of La Dolce Vita(I should rent it again). Maybe I should look at region 2 for a copy instead.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Macrame_God posted:

Same here.

I did find that Optimum released a DVD back in March:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nights-Cabiria-DVD-Giulietta-Masina/dp/B001Q58KK0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1260141097&sr=8-1

Only $13 USD plus shipping, but it's probably R2-locked. Only extras seem to be the trailer and a Phillip Kemp interview, but it's better than nothing. StudioCanal generally has quality transfers available, so it should at least be as good as Criterion's.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but where is the information on the criterion blu-ray case replacements? I looked on their website, but i couldn't find anything. Those digipaks are looking real out of place....

On another note, finally watched The Seventh Seal on blu and I was really impressed with the film itself and the transfer. I really did not expect the film to be as witty as it was. Really enjoyed it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but where is the information on the criterion blu-ray case replacements? I looked on their website, but i couldn't find anything. Those digipaks are looking real out of place....

Jon Mulvaney posted:

We are offering replacement cases for the following titles:

THE THIRD MAN
THE LAST EMPEROR
THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH
BOTTLE ROCKET
CHUNGKING EXPRESS
THE 400 BLOWS
THE LAST METRO
EL NORTE
LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD

Please note that we are temporarily out of stock on all cases and expect more to arrive next week. The cost for the replacement cases is $5 per case; this includes the cost of shipping. For multiple cases we offer a discount of $10 for the first two and $2.50 for each additional case beyond that (so, for instance, $12.50 for three cases).

To order the cases, simply make a payment to the email address store@criterion.com through PayPal, providing your mailing address and item(s) needed in the message field, and we'll send out the materials!

I hope this information is helpful! Please let me know if you have any more questions and thank you for supporting Criterion!

Best,
Jon Mulvaney

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

From the official page:

Jonathan Turell posted:

To answer the most frequently asked question: yes, we will be releasing separately the five titles in the set that had previously been unavailable from Criterion: Sanshiro Sugata; The Most Beautiful; Sanshiro Sugata, Part Two; The Men Who Tread on the Tiger’s Tail; and Madadayo.

And the March announcements will likely come tomorrow, but here's a sneak preview:

Jonathan Turell posted:

As for other Kurosawa plans, we had hoped to celebrate the actual centenary, in March, with a Blu-ray edition of Seven Samurai, but weeks of additional restoration have turned into months—yes, it looks really amazing—and the release won’t be until later in 2010. Instead, on March 23, we’ll be releasing Kurosawa’s Yojimbo and Sanjuro. They look great, too. A last word about AK 100: if you haven’t had a chance to pick up, feel, and look at this beautiful, linen-bound box, you should. The design is great, and the book inside is wonderful. There are many iconic stills from the movies that you’ll certainly recognize, but what’s especially neat is that Kurosawa himself appears in many of the images, just outside the framing with which you’re familiar. It’s fascinating to see where he placed himself in the process.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I'm sure that AK 100 box is sweet as all holy everyloving gently caress but it ought to be subtitled the Criterion doubledippers fanclub edition. Releasing something like that only on DVD while simultaneously announcing the future availability of some of the films on Blu Ray is just goddamn baffling.

Am I missing something about the typical Criterion boxset buyer demographic here? It seems like they'd be disproportionately early adopters of Blu Ray.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Looks like they're pushing AK100 as a holiday gift. I guess for rich people who have no idea what DVDs their loved ones already own.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
gently caress, anybody want to buy my copies of Yojimbo and Sanjuro? :)

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

FitFortDanga, you forgot to mention this part:

"Sanshiro Sugata; Sanshiro Sugata, Part Two; and The Most Beautiful will be released in an Eclipse set; The Men Who Tread on the Tiger’s Tail and Madadayo will be released in Criterion editions."

What surprises me is that they didn't include "The Men Who Tread on the Tiger's Tail" in an Eclipse set with the other movies... the movie is under an hour long, are there tons of extras they are going to include with it?

Kinda reminds me of what they did with Mishima's "Patriotism", that movie really should have been an extra (3rd DVD) with the Mishima movie.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

zandert33 posted:

FitFortDanga, you forgot to mention this part:

"Sanshiro Sugata; Sanshiro Sugata, Part Two; and The Most Beautiful will be released in an Eclipse set; The Men Who Tread on the Tiger’s Tail and Madadayo will be released in Criterion editions."

Where'd you read that?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Today I learned that blind-buying The Human Condition when it was on sale was like the best thing I ever did.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

I'm not planned on upgrading my copies of Yojimbo and Sanjuro right away, but I am getting that Seven Samurai BRD because it's my favorite movie ever. :allears:

Also, It would be nice if they put it all on one disc so that I'm not having to switch out discs in the middle of the movie.

penismightier posted:

Today I learned that blind-buying The Human Condition when it was on sale was like the best thing I ever did.

I got Berlin Alexanderplatz for $43 dollars during the B&N sale so I know exactly how you feel. Also, I love The Human Condition too. It immediately placed on my short list of favorite movies of all time after seeing it (well, all three of them that is).

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

Where'd you read that?

I actually read it in a quote that was said to be taken from "Thinking Outside the Box" as well, but now that I've gone to the Criterion site myself I see that the quote is as you've stated... which means one of two things:

1. The person I saw the quote from altered the quote (for some strange reason)
2. Criterion edited the post after originally posting it

Either way, as long as I can buy them all somehow I'm happy.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
I actually bought the AK100 box as a Christmas/birthday/next Christmas gift to myself since I only own Seven Samurai and Ran and won't be upgrading to Blu-Ray for quite a while. It is indeed pretty awesome.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#506 - DILLINGER IS DEAD (3/16/10, DVD)

•New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director of photography Mario Vulpiani
•New video interviews with actor Michel Piccoli and Italian film historian Adriano Aprà
•Excerpts from a 1997 roundtable discussion about director Marco Ferreri, with filmmakers Bernardo Bertolucci and Francesco Rosi and film historian Aldo Tassone, including clips of interviews with Ferreri
•Theatrical trailer
•New and improved subtitle translation
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Michael Joshua Rowin and a selection of reprinted interviews with Ferreri

Looks like a cool movie, will definitely rent it.

#507 - BIGGER THAN LIFE (3/23/10, DVD & Blu-Ray)

•New, restored high-definition digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•Audio commentary featuring critic Geoff Andrew (The Films of Nicholas Ray)
•Profile of Nicholas Ray (1977), a half-hour television interview with the director
•New video appreciation of Bigger Than Life with author Jonathan Lethem (Chronic City)
•New video interview with Susan Ray, the director’s widow and editor of the book I Was Interrupted: Nicholas Ray on Making Movies
•Theatrical trailer
•PLUS: An essay by film writer B. Kite

Terrific, subversive movie, with a nice set of extras. Might buy this one.

#508 - LETTERS FROM FONTAINHAS: THREE FILMS BY PEDRO COSTA (3/30/10, 4-disc DVD box set)

Set includes: Ossos, In Vanda's Room, Colossal Youth
DIRECTOR-APPROVED FOUR-DVD SET:

•New, restored high-definition digital transfer of Ossos, supervised by director Pedro Costa; new digital transfers of In Vanda’s Room and Colossal Youth
•New video conversations between Costa and filmmaker Jean-Pierre Gorin about Ossos and Colossal Youth
•Audio commentary for In Vanda’s Room featuring Costa and Gorin
•Selected-scene audio commentary by critic Cyril Neyrat and author-philosopher Jacques Rancière for Colossal Youth
•Video interviews with critic João Bénard da Costa and cinematographer Emmanuel Machuel about Ossos
•Video essay by artist Jeff Wall on Ossos
•All Blossoms Again, a feature-length documentary on Costa and the making of Colossal Youth
•Tarrafal and The Rabbit Hunters, two short films by Costa
•Little Boy Male, Little Girl Female, a video installation piece by Costa featuring outtakes from In Vanda’s Room and Colossal Youth
•Photographs by Mariana Viegas and Richard Dumas
•Theatrical trailers
•New and improved English subtitle translations of all the films
•PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by critics Cyril Neyrat, Luc Sante, Thom Anderson, and Mark Peranson, as well as a reprint by Bernard Eisenschitz

Sorry to say I don't know a drat thing about this guy, but he sounds right up my alley.

Also, all on March 23rd: Blu-Rays of Days of Heaven, Yojimbo and Sanjuro. gently caress YES. (Yojimbo & Sanjuro BRs also available together in a box, just like the DVDs)

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FitFortDanga posted:

Blu-Rays of Days of Heaven

Holy poo poo.

Yes.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

The second Criterion announced they were doing Blu-Rays, I had two immediate thoughts about the two films I need in Blu more than any others:

Solyaris
Days of Heaven

1/2!!

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Very excited about all releases. Am sad that I will have to buy Yojimbo again but it is my favourite Kurosawa. This time I'll get it with Sanjuro. Knew they couldn't put out Days of Heaven without a blu-ray.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

FitFortDanga posted:

(Yojimbo & Sanjuro BRs also available together in a box, just like the DVDs)

Awesome, I knew there was a reason I kept putting off buying the DVDs.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
Dillinger Is Dead had a brief US theatrical run this year. Manohla Dargis wrote that it was worth seeing but not wonderful.

Colossal Youth got crazy press the year it came out. The indiewire critics' poll ranked it best undistributed film and 8th best film overall of 2007 (below There Will Be Blood, Zodiac, No Country For Old Men, Syndromes and a Century, 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days, I’m Not There, and The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford). It is quite good but super slow-paced (not that it could have been any other way). I haven't seen the previous two in the trilogy.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Omigod omigod omigod omigod, I am so excited for Bigger Than Life. Now we just need a release of Johnny Guitar

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

doctor thodt posted:

Holy poo poo.

Yes.

Aaaaand my switch to blu-ray ASAP is now happening for sure.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

FitFortDanga posted:

#507 - BIGGER THAN LIFE (3/23/10, DVD & Blu-Ray)

I got my hands on a copy of this last year and it blew me away. Just a fun movie, and I'm so happy it's on Blu-ray. Between Che, Paris, Texas and this, I'm already three Criterions in the hole for next year...

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

vvvvvvv Because I get drunk and don't think things through.

Friedpundit fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 16, 2009

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
What's the point in censoring the names when we can easily find that

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Carl Garcia, you are not nearly as funny as you think you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

Friedpundit posted:

Well, I'm pretty proud of it... :colbert:

That's really sad.

FitFortDanga posted:

Also, all on March 23rd: Blu-Rays of Days of Heaven, Yojimbo and Sanjuro. gently caress YES. (Yojimbo & Sanjuro BRs also available together in a box, just like the DVDs)

drat, I'm definitely gonna get all of these. I'm finally happy that I don't already own Yojimbo and Sanjuro on DVD. Also probably gonna get that Pedro Costa box set, I've never watched any of his movies but the descriptions make it sound like I should have.