Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alex007
Jul 8, 2004

Iblys posted:

Two questions

1) is there an ad-block equivalent
2) can I port my Firefox data (saved passwords and bookmarks)

Google Chrome Thread(tm): Google Chrome - There's a safari in my firefox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

osigas
Mar 4, 2006

Then maybe you shouldn't be living here

Iblys posted:

Two questions

1) is there an ad-block equivalent
2) can I port my Firefox data (saved passwords and bookmarks)
1) Yes, but not quite as refined
2) Yes

natenasty
Aug 31, 2004

do it.
So if I have a newly built PC, a copy of Windows XP and an Upgrade copy of Windows 7, will I need to actually install XP on the PC then perform a clean install of Windows 7, or will I just be able to install Windows 7 and at some point it will ask me for my XP key? I'd love to skip the hassle of installing XP first if that's possible.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

natenasty posted:

So if I have a newly built PC, a copy of Windows XP and an Upgrade copy of Windows 7, will I need to actually install XP on the PC then perform a clean install of Windows 7, or will I just be able to install Windows 7 and at some point it will ask me for my XP key? I'd love to skip the hassle of installing XP first if that's possible.

Read Paul Thurott's article on it (posted several times in the thread).

I mean, really. Is it that hard to read at least a few pages?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I don't know if anybody cares anymore, but in case anybody is curious, I finally got Windows 7 to play nice with my Widescreen CRT monitor.

To do this, I basically uninstalled both the monitor and video card (Radeon 4890) drivers. Then, I installed the Radeon drivers and the Catalyst Control Center, and finally, I reinstalled the monitor drivers by doing the "let me select the drivers from a list" thing and checked the "show all devices" box then selected my monitor (which I was surprised to see listed) from the list. However, that still only allowed me to use 4:3 resolutions and a single 16:9 resolution, 720p, so I used a third party program called Powerstrip to manually add the missing 16:10 resolutions to the EDID.

1680x1050 @ 85Hz - for Windows navigation
1920x1200 @ 85Hz - gaming!
1920x1080 @ 85Hz - movies

So that's basically it. If you have a display device that Windows 7 won't play nice with or offer the correct resolutions for (like a projector or maybe some oddball TV or something), Powerstrip will fix the problem. It's highly configurable, and will let you change a lot more than amount of horizontal and vertical pixels on the screen at a patricular refresh rate, but I didn't get into the advanced settings.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 15, 2009

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

magimix posted:

I recently bought a new PC and Windows 7 Pro 64bit[1]. Its very much blowing my skirts up at the moment. One thing I *particularly* like is the new, more nuanced volume control, where you can control seperately the volume for applications, and more easily for devices, etc.

However...

I run a dual-monitor setup, with my main monitor hooked into both my PC and my 360 (via the VGA adapter). The sound from the 360 routes into my soundcard's line-in. What I'd like to do is have an entry for the 360 show in the sound-mixer, so I can control its volume conveniently too.

I had a nose through my sound-card's own control panel, and saw that the 'line in' device had a 'listen to this device' checkbox that, when checked, did cause the 'line in' to appear in the sound-mixer.

Unfortunately, when I did this, I got all manner of wierd, echoey feedback, so it didn't really work out. I checked that I wasn't running with any 'effects' active on any audio devices - I assume that because I was 'listening' to a device that also records, it was entering into a kind of feedback loop.

In closing, then, is there a way I can get the line-in to show up in the sound-mixer, without having the audio get all screwed up as a result? For now I'm working on the assumption that I just made a trivial error somewhere. I'd be grateful for any (useful and relevant ;) ) advice I could be given.

[1] First PC upgrade for 6 years, so I was making the jump straight from XP to Win7. Hell, I think I've only ever *seen* Vista in the flesh once, and I never tried it. Lets just say I found things 'somewhat different' from XP - but thus far, that difference has been overwhelmingly positive.

I don't have any good advice for you to fix your problem, but "listen to this device" type settings means that the audio coming in should be routed over to the speakers as well as into whatever recording program.

Have you tried right clicking on the list of recording devices and making sure that disabled and disconnected devices are both showing?

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

CaptainRapesAlot posted:

So I've got kind of a weird problem and I don't know what started it or how to fix it. For whatever reason, in the past few days every program on my start menu has completely vanished. I click on All Programs and there just grey space... :confused:

Anyone here heard of that problem? I'm using build 2100 if it helps

Assuming you mean build 7100, I have exactly the same thing. It doesn't really matter as the search field still works, but I was a bit puzzled by it as well.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

CaptainRapesAlot posted:

So I've got kind of a weird problem and I don't know what started it or how to fix it. For whatever reason, in the past few days every program on my start menu has completely vanished. I click on All Programs and there just grey space... :confused:

Anyone here heard of that problem? I'm using build 2100 if it helps

It has to do with having more than ~70 items in your All Programs list:
http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/4354-program-icons-missing-all-programs-menu.html

One resolution is to put everything (or at least many things) into a subfolder of the All Programs list.

I have not yet run into this in RTM, but I'm not sure I have enough programs to actually cause it. I'd strongly recommend doing a clean install when you finally get around to installing RTM.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Joe Don Baker posted:

That's probably a waste of time. You're better off enabling UAC, installing MSE, and practicing safe browsing habits.
Is MSE better than say, NOD32?

GreatGreen posted:

I don't know if anybody cares anymore, but in case anybody is curious, I finally got Windows 7 to play nice with my Widescreen CRT monitor.
so I used a third party program called Powerstrip to manually add the missing 16:10 resolutions to the EDID.
Lol, I remember using this with Windows 2000. I didn't know they still maintained it.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

If your adverse to paying for good software and click on every pop up ever, then MSE is for you.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

incoherent posted:

If your adverse to paying for good software and click on every pop up ever, then MSE is for you.

What does this mean i dont even

grrowl
Jan 17, 2007

I LOVE 4CHAN YIFF YIFF YIFF
edit: woah whole new page there

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Drox posted:

What does this mean i dont even

I could be wrong, but it sounds like he's implying that MSE is sub-par software that only protects the most oblivious users from the most obvious threats.

I have no opinion on it, myself. Haven't really messed with MSE much myself.

LordKain
Oct 8, 2006

Well, I'm considering buying the $30 student special of Win7 Pro, but I have some questions regarding 32bit and 64bit. First off, some specs:

1) Fairly certain all my PC hardware (not including peripherals) is 64-bit and virtualization compatible
Intel Q6600
evga 780i
evga 8800GT
2x2GB XMS2 RAM
500GB Seagate HDD
1TB Seagate HDD
Samsung DVD Burner
2) Peripherals
Logitech Z4 speakers
Logiteth QuickCam
Logitech G5 mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Epson CX7400 printer
My only real concern here is my printer (for 64bit) as I'm guessing the other stuff would have the proper drivers. I'm not asking people to check for drivers for me, I can do that. However, if you know that there's 64-bit drivers that would be nice.
3) More-or-less 'Important' Software
Firefox 3.x
7-Zip
utorrent
Active ISO Burner - Small and useful burning software, comparable alternative suggestions appreciated
Ad-Aware AE
Abode Photoshop CS3
Abode Dreamweaver CS3
Avira Antivir - How does this compare to NOD32 and VIPRE? Willing to switch
foobar2000 - Small and simple WMP replacement, comparable alternative suggestions appreciated
Malwarebytes
HiJackThis
mIRC
Notepad++
Secunia PSI
Sun VirtualBox - comparable alternative suggestions appreciated
YIM
pidgin
3) Games
COD4: MW
Crysis
Crysis Wars
FarCry 2
Various XP generation games (ie. pre-Vista)

Now, I know some of these software and games (particularly COD4/Crysis) are Win7 32-bit and 64-bit compatible (so MS's checker says), but I'm concerned about the others. Does anyone know if there are any issues with the above programs?

I know about XP Mode, however I have heard there are some issues with some programs. Also, I know that XP Mode opens a VM but what happens if you have to run multiple programs in XP Mode? Does it open multiple VMs to run them all? Or is it considered one VM?

Next issue is Firefox (and Chrome, as I want to test it). I have read a few times online that Firefox (and Chrome) is not compatible but MS says it is. Is MS right?

I'd like to make the move, but not being able to move things like PS CS3 and such would really suck, as it's hardware intensive and VMing it in XP Mode can get resource costly, I'm sure. Ask anything specific you like, and yes I know having access to all 4GB of RAM is a nice BOON :3:

fake edit:
What about our favorite malware and virus removal programs? ComboFIx/Malwarebytes/etc

NotJoe
Jun 22, 2004

A brave man is a man who dares to look the Devil in the face and tell him he is a Devil.

LordKain posted:

Well, I'm considering buying the $30 student special of Win7 Pro, but I have some questions regarding 32bit and 64bit.

I have the same processor as you, and have experienced no problems with the 64 bit version so far. If you are worried about not being able to play the old xp games, you could probably install a dedicated xp partition just for those games. I'd say it isnt worth being stuck at 4gb of ram just to be able to play a few really old games more easily.

NotJoe fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 15, 2009

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

LordKain posted:

Intel Q6600
The Q6600 supports virtualization, no problem there.

LordKain posted:

Logitech G5 mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Epson CX7400 printer
Logitech SetPoint (if you use that) comes in 32-bit and 64-bit flavors, so no problem there. I don't know about your printer, but hunting for the drivers on Epson's home page will probably give you the answer. If there are Vista / Windows 7 drivers, they have probably considered 64-bit as well.

LordKain posted:

Next issue is Firefox (and Chrome, as I want to test it). I have read a few times online that Firefox (and Chrome) is not compatible but MS says it is. Is MS right?
There are 64-bit builds of Firefox (dunno about Chrome), and for that matter Internet Explorer, but as long as most plugins (flash, java, etc) don't work in 64-bit browsers, there's no real point in using them.

Of course you can still use 32-bit software in a 64-bit version of Windows, and in fact the only thing I've ever had a problem with, using Vista and Windows 7 (both 64-bit), has been the driver for a USB->Serial converter.

Regarding antivirus: From what I remember, Microsoft Security Essentials scores really well in tests, and it's even less annoying than NOD32.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

kapinga posted:

I don't have any good advice for you to fix your problem, but "listen to this device" type settings means that the audio coming in should be routed over to the speakers as well as into whatever recording program.

Have you tried right clicking on the list of recording devices and making sure that disabled and disconnected devices are both showing?

All devices are showing, certainly. Its just that when I 'listen' to Line-In, in addition to it showing in the mixer, I get echo-ing feedback. Weird as hell! Alas, my Google-fu is failing me too :(

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

magimix posted:

All devices are showing, certainly. Its just that when I 'listen' to Line-In, in addition to it showing in the mixer, I get echo-ing feedback. Weird as hell! Alas, my Google-fu is failing me too :(

Is it echoing or feedback, cause they're two different things.

Also, is it just the xbox's sound that's doing this, or all audio from your system?

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Casao posted:

Is it echoing or feedback, cause they're two different things.

Also, is it just the xbox's sound that's doing this, or all audio from your system?

Fair point. Echoing specifically. And the line-in was the only thing doing it, and *only* when 'listen to this device' was selected.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

magimix posted:

Fair point. Echoing specifically. And the line-in was the only thing doing it, and *only* when 'listen to this device' was selected.

In that case, it sounds like you have another app playing the line-in audio - what were you using to play the audio without "Listen" checked?

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Casao posted:

In that case, it sounds like you have another app playing the line-in audio - what were you using to play the audio without "Listen" checked?

Well, that's something I'd stuggle to answer clearly. I have something plugged into the line-in. The line-in device is not muted, therefore I hear anything coming into that device over my speakers, just like when I used WinXP. It was the default behaviour - I didn't do anything to make that happen.

Edit: The 'Playback through this device' option was set to 'Default Playback Device', which I assume to be 'Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio'. The other choice is 'Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio'.

magimix fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 15, 2009

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

magimix posted:

Well, that's something I'd stuggle to answer clearly. I have something plugged into the line-in. The line-in device is not muted, therefore I hear anything coming into that device over my speakers, just like when I used WinXP. It was the default behaviour - I didn't do anything to make that happen.

Edit: The 'Playback through this device' option was set to 'Default Playback Device', which I assume to be 'Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio'. The other choice is 'Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio'.

So if it plays back without "Listen to this device", Windows (or Realtek) is passing it through to speakers - do you have any Realtek audio software installed? Anything living in the tray that came with the drivers?

That "Listen" checkbox is supposed to be the one that plays line-in through speakers in default Windows (I believe), so if it's coming through without it, I believe something is playing it through the output.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Goddamn. I've been putting off installing my copy of professional since I had the RC all set up the way I want it and I'm a big pussy and was afraid I'd gently caress something up while the semester was still in progress and I had projects to hand in. But finals are done so I finally got off my rear end and installed it today. Most painless windows install ever. Within 10 minutes of hitting the desktop the only difference is that there isn't any "evaluation copy" text in the corner, and I didn't have to install a single driver. Even the video driver was the same one I was using on the RC.

Which brings me to my question. I'm using a 9800GTX+, and I've been chugging along with some older drivers, 181 I think (I'd have to double check but it's in the 180s). I downloaded the latest drivers (I think 195.65 or something, again I'd have to double check but the latest as of today) but since Win7 automatically plugged in the same drivers I used to have (although it recommends to update them through win update, but I ignored that), and those were working fine on the RC, I didn't install them.

I've been hearing murmurings of the 190+ drivers having problems. If these continue to work fine should I just sit on them for now? Anyone have a 9800GTX+ that can comment on the state of win7 drivers for it?

[edit]Man I totally read the driver number wrong and it was much more recent than the 180s... I updated to 195.65 anyway for the hell of it, we'll see how it goes.

Tagra fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 16, 2009

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

LordKain posted:

I can confirm that Chrome is working well; Windows 7 64-bit ultimate. No issues at all.

I'm currently also using the Comodo AV/Firewall combo with little or no issues since AVG annoyed me enough to go looking for something else.

Civilization IV is, however, toast.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Hav posted:

Can you elaborate?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
A note of warning to MSE users - it's not safe. At all.

Today I ran SpyBot for the first time in a week, and it found a trojan. I told MSE to check my computer, and it found nothing. After a series of different virusscanners, it turns out I was indeed carrying a trojan around.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Grawl posted:

Today I ran SpyBot for the first time in a week, and it found a trojan. I told MSE to check my computer, and it found nothing. After a series of different virusscanners, it turns out I was indeed carrying a trojan around.

How does letting a single trojan through that apparently can only be found after using multiple scanners mean MSE is unsafe? Absolutely no virus scanner is 100% at detection.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

fishmech posted:

How does letting a single trojan through that apparently can only be found after using multiple scanners mean MSE is unsafe? Absolutely no virus scanner is 100% at detection.

The others scanners found it, MSE didn't. I'd rather have a false positive than a false negative.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Grawl posted:

I told MSE to check my computer, and it found nothing. After a series of different virusscanners, it turns out I was indeed carrying a trojan around.

What other scanners did you use?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Grawl posted:

The others scanners found it, MSE didn't. I'd rather have a false positive than a false negative.

So? By the way are you one of those who turns off windows updates? Or disables real-time scans?

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Casao posted:

So if it plays back without "Listen to this device", Windows (or Realtek) is passing it through to speakers - do you have any Realtek audio software installed? Anything living in the tray that came with the drivers?

That "Listen" checkbox is supposed to be the one that plays line-in through speakers in default Windows (I believe), so if it's coming through without it, I believe something is playing it through the output.

Thats a very useful clarification; thank you. So, something is already doing the job of the 'Listen' checkbox...

Bearing in mind that the 'Listen' checkbox is a Windows thing, I'll assume for now that the Realtek audio-drivers are the ones doing the passthrough. They either got installed as part of a Windows update, or were lumped in with the motherboard-drivers disc (probably the latter; my sound-support is integrated).

This gives me a fruitful direction to continue looking into things. Thanks again.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Tagra posted:

I've been hearing murmurings of the 190+ drivers having problems. If these continue to work fine should I just sit on them for now? Anyone have a 9800GTX+ that can comment on the state of win7 drivers for it?

Well I have a 8800GTS 512 and I had a lot of problems with the 190+ drivers. I was getting poor framerates in just about every game I tried. I had Vista on the exact same system with no problems at all with the same drivers. As I understand it, Vista & 7 have extremely similar driver architecture so I was a bit surprised by that. I eventually rolled back to 185.85 and it's been fine. Just one anecdote though :shobon:

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

I've got the worst fucking attorneys
Is there any easy way to launch applications remotely, through a network? I have some apps, like Simplify Media for sharing music, that I would like to easily start up without logging in a whole remote desktop session. To be clear, I want the app to run on the 'server', but just be able to be triggered into launching by the 'client'.

Complication 1: the client end needs to run on Mac OS X. Bonus points if I can simply double-click something to run an app (like a shell script that would communicate with my desktop.)

Complication 2: I would like some way to launch these apps under my user account, but I won't necassarily be logged in before I want to launch these apps. My plan is to start the computer with wake-on-lan, then launch an app. But since my machine doesn't auto-login, I won't have my user account active when I want to launch an app. I'm OK with the solution logging me in, or even setting up auto-login, but only if I can keep the machine physically secure, i.e. I don't want somebody to mosey over to my computer after it's auto-logged-in and have full access to it

And if you're concerned about security, this will be firewalled from the outside world, and intended mainly for use when I'm on my laptop connected to my home network via VPN.

Magicmat fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Dec 16, 2009

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
yo, I got windows 7 64bit and I'm trying to edit the Hosts file in sys32 but it's not letting me do jack. I used to be able to mess around with it it straight from notepad. any suggestions?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

MSE works fine. There isn't any single virus scanner that takes the place of having spybot and malwarebytes installed.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

SamuraiPaul posted:

yo, I got windows 7 64bit and I'm trying to edit the Hosts file in sys32 but it's not letting me do jack. I used to be able to mess around with it it straight from notepad. any suggestions?
Run notepad as admin, the hosts file is not editable by all users by default.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

SamuraiPaul posted:

Right click the notepad shortcut, run as administrator, then open the hosts file and it should be editable.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
NOICE that was easy thanks guys

alltoohuman
Jul 26, 2007

Shut up, Marx.

Hav posted:

Huh? I've played this on Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate many times with no issues. The only odd thing I noticed is that it gave a pop up message on first run that my computer did't meet the minimum requirements, though it's well above all of them. Ran perfectly fine, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Grawl posted:

All virus scanners miss stuff.

So, by your standards...don't run any AV software. They're not safe. At all.