Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colawa
Oct 14, 2006

He came dancing across the water
I had to farm the passage at the start of 2-2 for the last 2 chunks of Spiderstone, then I finally got them

I thought I had enough but it turns out I needed 3 more, not 2 and of course the very last one will never ever drop :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?

aWall posted:

I have yet to even try NG+ for some reason the thought of going through again with things slightly harder just isnt very appealing to me

you mock what you don't understand! so surprised at how hard NG+ has turned out to be.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Zero Punctuation.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Colawa posted:

I had to farm the passage at the start of 2-2 for the last 2 chunks of Spiderstone, then I finally got them

I thought I had enough but it turns out I needed 3 more, not 2 and of course the very last one will never ever drop :(

I was farming 2-2, but I had a lot more luck farming spiderstone in the first 2 rooms of 2-1 at PBWT. There's a lot more miners there, so you have a much higher chance of getting something to drop. You can also then backtrack to the lift and go up to the top, and kill another 5 guys who have a chance of dropping spiderstone before you have to reset the level.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

gibbed posted:

Zero Punctuation.

That was one of his better recent reviews.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Palleon posted:

I was farming 2-2, but I had a lot more luck farming spiderstone in the first 2 rooms of 2-1 at PBWT. There's a lot more miners there, so you have a much higher chance of getting something to drop. You can also then backtrack to the lift and go up to the top, and kill another 5 guys who have a chance of dropping spiderstone before you have to reset the level.

The 2-1 miners can't drop chunks (according to the wiki) which pretty much makes them useless. Also, there are about the same number of unarmed miners with your route as there are in the right tunnel of 2-2 (5 total in the tunnel). It takes less than 30 seconds to kill all 5 and dive off of the cliff at the end so you can repeat the process.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

gibbed posted:

Zero Punctuation.

Entire review: This game people told me was hard turned out to be hard and I'm not willing to put time into learning how to play it. gently caress THIS GAME!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

axleblaze posted:

Entire review: This game people told me was hard turned out to be hard and I'm not willing to put time into learning how to play it. gently caress THIS GAME!

I'm not sure which is worse - that being his attitude or the people who base their purchases off of Yahtzee reviews (like many of the comments are).

Was a funny review, though. But Yahtzee never seemed to have played a game that had a dodge button in it before or has any notion of momentum or played a 8-way movement fighting game.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

evilalien posted:

The 2-1 miners can't drop chunks (according to the wiki) which pretty much makes them useless. Also, there are about the same number of unarmed miners with your route as there are in the right tunnel of 2-2 (5 total in the tunnel). It takes less than 30 seconds to kill all 5 and dive off of the cliff at the end so you can repeat the process.

I got several chunks out of 2-1, so the wiki is wrong.

At least I think I did...

Palleon fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 16, 2009

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jimbot posted:

I'm not sure which is worse - that being his attitude or the people who base their purchases off of Yahtzee reviews (like many of the comments are).

Was a funny review, though. But Yahtzee never seemed to have played a game that had a dodge button in it before or has any notion of momentum or played a 8-way movement fighting game.

Yeah, his complaint about the dodge was just odd. He said he pressed the dodge button and it dodged an enemy attack and then the enemy attacked again and hit him. So did he expect the dodge button would just dodge every attack for the rest of the game once pressed or what?
I actually have to keep myself from reading the comments because every week there's a bunch of comments saying "Thanks! I was going to buy this game but you've shown me not to". It's aggravating enough for a wonderful game like Uncharted 2, but that game can handle itself. Demon's Souls could use any boost it can get frankly.

Colawa
Oct 14, 2006

I ended up finally getting my 3rd chunk, but it seems like there was only one miner(the guy to the left about 2/3 through the tunnel)in that hallway dropping chunks, and the other fistees would either never drop anything or dropped just shards..

Probably just coincidence but who gives a gently caress now :)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

axleblaze posted:

His review was funny though. He hates every game he plays, that is his gimmick. He doesn't give honest reviews anymore like he did when he first started. His reviews now are just meant to be entertaining. Where back then, they were entertaining, but also at least worth paying attention too for a more critical opinion.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

His review was funny though. He hates every game he plays, that is his gimmick. He doesn't give honest reviews anymore like he did when he first started. His reviews now are just meant to be entertaining. Where back then, they were entertaining, but also at least worth paying attention too for a more critical opinion.
Y'see, while I take Yahtzee's reviews with a grain of salt there are those that actually take them seriously and with a game like this that most people haven't heard of anyways, that does bother me a bit.
He also just misrepresented the game to some degree. If the review was over-critical but accurate, I'd be fine with it, but I think the impression his review gives is that this is a "I Wanna be the Guy Like" game where the game revels in screwing you over again and again and again. Demon's Souls is really hard but it's one of the more fair games I've played in a while really. You die when you play badly. Almost any death in the game is you're own drat fault. He brings up the dragon like it's an out of no where instant death, but if you're cautious and pay attention you can clearly see the Dragon flying around and that's a sign that maybe you should proceed cautiously. Plus there will be a million messages telling you the same. I just wish he had actually put some effort into the game rather than saying "gently caress it. This is hard" after about an hour or so.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

gibbed posted:

Zero Punctuation.

I always figured he would be one of those people that can't even beat the second level and decides they are qualified to review the whole game. And since when doesn't the dodge move work?

Edit: "the multiplayer gimmick is the messages and white ghosts". Ok buddy.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 16, 2009

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think the white ghost thing is a freaking brilliant idea. It sucks that communication is so limited, but the rest of the multiplayer bits, especially other players being able to come into your game and skull gently caress you, is awesome.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

NESguerilla posted:

Edit: "the multiplayer gimmick is the messages and white ghosts". Ok buddy.

Well, form the review it seemed clear he never leveled up and if he missed that it's likely he also missed getting the stones that let you invade and team up.
I'm almost glad he never got to the swamp, which is the part of the game that makes me have to qualify it when I say "the game isn't unfair".

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

axleblaze posted:

Well, form the review it seemed clear he never leveled up and if he missed that it's likely he also missed getting the stones that let you invade and team up.
I'm almost glad he never got to the swamp, which is the part of the game that makes me have to qualify it when I say "the game isn't unfair".

Hey now, every game has some form of the water temple. It's one of those things that developers have to get surgically removed from their minds - much like wisdom teeth.

When that happens, then True Game Design starts now.

Colawa
Oct 14, 2006

I just realized you can use those flapping tentacles in the 3-2 swamp as an elevator to get on to the boardwalk, just get on when it dips in to the water and it'll lift you right up

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

axleblaze posted:

I actually have to keep myself from reading the comments because every week there's a bunch of comments saying "Thanks! I was going to buy this game but you've shown me not to". It's aggravating enough for a wonderful game like Uncharted 2, but that game can handle itself. Demon's Souls could use any boost it can get frankly.

I'm currently pulling my hair out because I read through those comments:

quote:

Must say, I was looking at this game in curiosity until I watched this. Think I'll pass.

quote:

Sounds absolutely terrible.

quote:

Well i can officially say i'm not on board for this game...specially since i tend to be a more defensive player in battle based games and it seems if dodging doesn't do poo poo then i guess blocking an attack would consist of sticking your face out whilst legions of guards come at you with sharp, shiny and pointed objects

quote:

I get the feeling this game is very much a test of patience rather than ability and skill (hence the bad review as patience doesnt seem to be one of his check boxes for fun game)

quote:

Sounds very bad, will avoid.

quote:

That kinds of confirm my opinion on Demon'ssssssss Souls. That it is a game made by people that hate gamers, and people think the challenge is to prove them wrong.

Those are just the first two pages. What's worse is that some of the people have played the game but just agree with everything Yahtzee said. WHY IS NOBODY DEFENDING IT! drat, just because Yahtzee couldn't figure out how to dodge properly doesn't mean he has to ruin it for everyone else.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Blind Sally posted:

WHY IS NOBODY DEFENDING IT!

Because you practically get kneecapped by half the internet if you disagree with Yahtzee. Cue the repeated memes of 'He's not a reviewer, he's a critic!' and 'It's comedy, you should be laughing and not thinking about what he said!'.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Blind Sally posted:

I'm currently pulling my hair out because I read through those comments:

Those are just the first two pages. What's worse is that some of the people have played the game but just agree with everything Yahtzee said. WHY IS NOBODY DEFENDING IT! drat, just because Yahtzee couldn't figure out how to dodge properly doesn't mean he has to ruin it for everyone else.

I actually registered to defend and tell people that if they don't buy this game bases on what Yahtzee said, they are morons.
Yes, I need to get a life.
It does get less sycophantic as you go though. I think the people that just eat up everything Yahtzee says tend to post on the first page and then go away.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

None of those people would play Demon's Souls anyways or probably even own a PS3.

Colawa
Oct 14, 2006

If they don't want to get it, fine. Let the babies have their bottle :colbert:

Meanwhile I'm camped out on top of the dragon's corpse in 1-4 waiting for Black Phantoms to invade me so I can add another soul to my kill count

I love this game, those crazies don't deserve a game as awesome as this

Colawa
Oct 14, 2006

Is the Mirdan Hammer actually glitched or is it just effective? I start to wonder when I have BPs invade me then die then send a message to whine about the weapon. I'll start a new guy if there's something non-legit about my current build..

Also note the guy who did that ran off after first battling with me then losing most of his HP and I allowed him the time to do whatever it is he wanted (changed his gear setup to scraping spear, DSS) and then he still died anyway.

I don't feel satisfied now :mad:

Colawa fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 17, 2009

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Before i watched the ZP review i knew he wouldn't like it because he's shown before that he's quite poo poo at games. Missing the roll button is pretty astonishing though. He also kind of skipped over a few vital parts of the multiplayer because he didn't get far enough in the game to find them.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Before i watched the ZP review i knew he wouldn't like it because he's shown before that he's quite poo poo at games. Missing the roll button is pretty astonishing though. He also kind of skipped over a few vital parts of the multiplayer because he didn't get far enough in the game to find them.

He didn't miss the roll button, he just wanted it to be some kind of super roll that would mke him avoid every attack in one press.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

KGBAgent185 posted:

He didn't miss the roll button, he just wanted it to be some kind of super roll that would mke him avoid every attack in one press.

He basically made it seem like he only knew how to tap the button to backstep, which, yes, will get you murdered most of the time against the wrong enemies.

I remember back when I first imported Demon's Souls and finished the tutorial, which I thought was a pretty good introduction to most of the melee combat mechanics and movement and targeting and such. On those giant steps up to the castle in 1-1, the first few aggressive dudes behind the barriers. Dude comes out, I get ready to backstep/parry and riposte/whatever I thought I was gonna do, and he jumps forward and destroys my rear end with his crazy flailing the sword around move.

"gently caress," I say, "god drat poo poo that dude kicked my rear end. I need to be more careful next time."

It is immediately apparent if you're not a moron that in Demon's Souls, if you died, you probably need to be more goddamn careful next time. I have had very, very few deaths that I've consciously attributed to the game being a cheap motherfucker. After dodging dragon breath like four times and making it all the way to that one wall where there's like five archers and two blue-eye knights? Yeah, I died time after frustrating time, but the frustration wasn't at the enemies for using any sort of cheap or unfair attacks, it was at myself for either not putting my shield up at the right time when I saw that arrow flying through the air, or not putting my shield down to recover some stamina before the blue-eye knight's next attack, or for dive-rolling into a bunch of crates like a dumbass and getting my rear end handed to me.

When I eventually made it past that whole gauntlet on the ramparts? Satisfying as hell. It's too bad it seems like Yahtzee never even got to experience that small victory, much less anything like Tower Knight or literally any other levels besides 1-1 and 1-2.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
It's weird that he didn't mention the Red Eye Knight in 1-1.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
I think Yahtzee was a bit unfair to the game for simply being challenging but on the other hand I enjoyed the review because it made some funny observations and his experience with 1-2 pretty much mirrored mine exactly (except I didn't give up on the game afterwards)

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Xythar posted:

his experience with 1-2 pretty much mirrored mine exactly (except I didn't give up on the game afterwards)

Hahaha, yeah, when he started talking about the passage under the bridge, I immediately thought "dogs" and a few seconds later he started cursing them.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

Hahaha, yeah, when he started talking about the passage under the bridge, I immediately thought "dogs" and a few seconds later he started cursing them.

I never had that problem. But I chose to be a Wizard, so I shot them to death with my magic. You silly barbarians and your physical combat. Pfaw!

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

Edmond Dantes posted:

It's weird that he didn't mention the Red Eye Knight in 1-1.

He probably literally never saw it. It's abundantly clear from his review that he brute forced his way through 1-1, died to the dragon in 1-2 because he didn't take a hint from the charred corpses lining the ramparts, got murdered by dogs underneath the ramparts because he didn't have his guard up, eventually made his way to the end of 1-2, got murdered by the crossbowmen and blue-eye knight, and quit the game in frustration to write his review. That's probably all of the game he'll ever have seen.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Jimbot posted:

I never had that problem. But I chose to be a Wizard, so I shot them to death with my magic. You silly barbarians and your physical combat. Pfaw!
They tore my rear end the first time (was playing a Hunter), because when the first two came at me, I rolled torwards the rest of them not knowing they were there, so I had all of the fuckers coming from all sides in 2 seconds.

It's amazing how now I can look back at things like those dogs and laugh.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Edmond Dantes posted:

They tore my rear end the first time (was playing a Hunter), because when the first two came at me, I rolled torwards the rest of them not knowing they were there, so I had all of the fuckers coming from all sides in 2 seconds.

It's amazing how now I can look back at things like those dogs and laugh.
Yeah, one of the true joys of the game is laughing at things that had you cowering in fear. The first time I one hit killed a red-eye knight was as satisfying as beating some entire games.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
On a non-yahtzee related note, just got an email saying that the game will be setting pure white world tendency over the days on/after the winter solstice. I found it wierd that it would be starting on a Monday if that's what they mean though.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

KGBAgent185 posted:

On a non-yahtzee related note, just got an email saying that the game will be setting pure white world tendency over the days on/after the winter solstice. I found it wierd that it would be starting on a Monday if that's what they mean though.

Isn't that just Christmas? Would make sense, considering what they did for Halloween.

On a trohpy-whore related note, is there someone who would be willing to let me hold some of their +5 weapons? I have a few of them (can't remember which ones right now), but they're the only things preventing me from getting plat and the only thing I don't like about this game is grinding for stones.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

While it was meant for a completely different game over 5 years ago, this Penny Arcade makes a nice Demon's Souls review. Just replace "Viewtiful Joe" with "Demon's Souls" and "four bosses in a row" with "World 5." Much better than Yahtzee's, as much as I normally enjoy him.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Just got this game and was in the first level and got booted :(

Stupid server maintenance.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Colawa posted:

Is the Mirdan Hammer actually glitched or is it just effective? I start to wonder when I have BPs invade me then die then send a message to whine about the weapon. I'll start a new guy if there's something non-legit about my current build..

Also note the guy who did that ran off after first battling with me then losing most of his HP and I allowed him the time to do whatever it is he wanted (changed his gear setup to scraping spear, DSS) and then he still died anyway.

I don't feel satisfied now :mad:

Nah, it's just bad losers. The fact that he would even use the scraping spear spells that out.

Keep shoving that pole up ever arse you find.

Polearm/AMF supremacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExileStrife
Sep 12, 2004

Happy birthday to you!
Happy birthday to you!
I'm about soul level 85, melee only (I don't have a single spell). A +5 Dragon Longsword has pretty much taken me through the entire game, but I think now that I have 30ish strength and 26 dex, I should be building up a different weapon...but I just can't decide. I was pretty oblivious with how to build my character and avoided looking at a faq until I had the majority of the game cleared, but now I'm just kinda at a loss for what I should pursue. I do happen to have a +10 axe...but it's not as good as that dragon longsword and I just don't like using it as much despite the weakness. Blargh!

On another note, the 3-3 boss, with both invading other people's worlds and having your own invaded, has been my favorite gaming experience of 2009.

• Locked thread