Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Scurvy continues to shoot his models with a flash despite me smacking his knuckles with a ruler like a catholic nun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

your ruler obviously needs more dakka.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

PaintVagrant posted:

Scurvy continues to shoot his models with a flash despite me smacking his knuckles with a ruler like a catholic nun

Do you think the Sisters do this? Or maybe they use power weapons. Power rulers.
... Tape measure?

As far as Scurvy's photo goes; base your poo poo, dude. :smug:

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.
Chainrulers :black101:

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
So I got a better primer for my Orks and it worked a lot better.

Started painting them today with Karnifax Green, I believe. I stopped soon after starting because I wasn't sure how I was going to paint the face. Should I just paint the entire face, including teeth, lips and mouth with the green paint, then go over it later with a color? Or something else?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Iron Squid posted:

Started painting them today with Karnifax Green, I believe. I stopped soon after starting because I wasn't sure how I was going to paint the face. Should I just paint the entire face, including teeth, lips and mouth with the green paint, then go over it later with a color? Or something else?

I don't know about how a painting genius would do it but I certainly do this.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Iron Squid posted:

Should I just paint the entire face, including teeth, lips and mouth with the green paint, then go over it later with a color?

Yup. You can always paint over paint, so your basecoats should be applied fast with thinned paint

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Iron Squid posted:

That's what I do, for the most part. A closed mouth I just paint over completely with green. An open mouth or one with lots of exposed tooth, I don't completely paint over, but I also don't fret if I get some green in the mouth.

Here's an example of a mouth I wouldn't paint over with green (WIP Burna Boy):

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
While unpacking my tau at my new place, I thought I would take some pics. The crappy blue color is the old color scheme I went with. The Red Gore (Inspired by the Blood Ravens)is the new color that I just love painting. I just hated the blue, but I needed to paint for a tournament and that was what I had in mind at the time. Also I didn't write fluff for them until now and the blue color didn't go with it. Anyway, pics.

I use a squad of these guys. He's the only painted one. :(

Hey, Fire Warriors! There's a lot more. This is going to be a very long project...

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
So you all don't think I've been slacking the past month or so:

I think the Avatar is where I finally got the gold looking how I want it to, so I'll have to redo Harbinger and the Reckoner. Oh and those first 4 pics is when I base coated my entire army is an hour and a half using an air brush. :smug:

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I like how Menoth looks when it's not the base color scheme.

Captain Scurvy
May 29, 2009

Sole.Sushi posted:

Do you think the Sisters do this? Or maybe they use power weapons. Power rulers.
... Tape measure?

As far as Scurvy's photo goes; base your poo poo, dude. :smug:

I made it known that a crappy cel pic was what was being used :) also yea he is only my second out of 4 with the honor guard. Im going to base them all at once thats why. As for what its missing i dont know but im open to advice on it. The wings arent that bright its just the flash reflected it.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
That protectorate color scheme is gorgeous.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Iron Crowned posted:

Here's an example of a mouth I wouldn't paint over with green (WIP Burna Boy):

That's some odd highlightling on the skin there - is it just the flash that makes it look like that, because it really looks like large spots of color. Might need an ink wash to tone it down a bit, or some intermediary shades around each spot.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
loving finally found that camera-eh?

I think they look pretty sexy-I wish the purps were a bit brighter though..eh.

Nice.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

So you all don't think I've been slacking the past month or so:

I think the Avatar is where I finally got the gold looking how I want it to, so I'll have to redo Harbinger and the Reckoner. Oh and those first 4 pics is when I base coated my entire army is an hour and a half using an air brush. :smug:

drat man, nice work. Have you wheeled that army out into a game yet?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

PaintVagrant posted:

drat man, nice work. Have you wheeled that army out into a game yet?

He can't stop winning tournaments for some reason. It's sick. I'm willing to bet the only reason he hasn't gotten MORE Menoth done is because he's too busy kicking the asses of every Warmachine player in Florida.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Thats a pretty solid reason to not get much painting done :v:

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
He is the grand master warlord tyrant marshal of Florida, if my memory serves.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Come to south Florida and get people here to play.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

ARMY PAINTER SPRAY BOLTGUN METAL TRIP REPORT EXTRAVAGANZA

Just sprayed it on 25 or so grey knights in power armor, in my garage, in 21 degree weather.

Perfect, butter smooth coverage.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
So i put these up in the warham thread a while back, but i just got some more pictures taken of them.

I may have spent way too long (about 90 mins each) on these but its my first time painting in a good 12 or 13 years so slowly getting back into the swing of it all.

Some C&C would be most welcome as i'm planning in painting up a High Elf army some time in the new year and actually using the SH models as a practice run to get some good techniques figured out.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

PaintVagrant posted:

ARMY PAINTER SPRAY BOLTGUN METAL TRIP REPORT EXTRAVAGANZA

Just sprayed it on 25 or so grey knights in power armor, in my garage, in 21 degree weather.

Perfect, butter smooth coverage.
Wait, what? Is this basically GW Boltgun in a spray can? drat, that could be useful!

dpack_1 posted:

I may have spent way too long (about 90 mins each) on these but its my first time painting in a good 12 or 13 years so slowly getting back into the swing of it all.
90 minutes is way too long? Crap... :(

They look pretty good, though!

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Aranan posted:

Wait, what? Is this basically GW Boltgun in a spray can? drat, that could be useful!

I thought the Army Painter was Chainmail? Did they come out with a new one?

VVV Really? I tested it out on a marine and I remember it being Chainmail. I can't find any color match charts online.

GoodBee fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 17, 2009

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Well, they call it "platemail metal" but its pretty much boltgun

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I wanted to look into a quick way of painting some plague marines a nice deep/dull red with black trims. I'm pretty sure that I want to do some dipping but I'd like to know how to build the red up, if at all. Just basecoat white and get some red foundation on or what? It doesn't need to be bright red so I think that might save some trouble, at least.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

So excited for upcoming Tyranids! I can't wait to finally get my hands on a decent brood of Gargoyles, and the Trygon looks fantastic!

This is the wrong place though, can anyone point me to the 40k thread?

A Powerful Cream
Jun 25, 2009

get ready to read some badposts b*tch!! - fdr to hitler, 1972

theironjef posted:

So excited for upcoming Tyranids! I can't wait to finally get my hands on a decent brood of Gargoyles, and the Trygon looks fantastic!

This is the wrong place though, can anyone point me to the 40k thread?

In this very same sub-forum, cackling madly with its dying breath.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

A Powerful Cream posted:

In this very same sub-forum, cackling madly with its dying breath.

Wow. I assume that like all things in modern 40k, it was killed by a douche with a Thunderfire Cannon.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

A friend of mine emailed me this infinity diorama/display base he built:

LewdMonocle
Mar 8, 2007
Hey guys back again my my crappy poo poo. This time its lizards.

Messing around with paint themes/ideas and need some advice. I wanted to make an all albino army but I'm having a lot of trouble:

Click here for the full 700x620 image.

Primed white, wash of baal red and covered in menoth white highlight. I was never happy with it so now its covered in several coats.

Click here for the full 700x594 image.

Same prime this time washed with ogryn flesh and menoth again.

I'm at a loss.

Then I did this guy:

Click here for the full 700x566 image.

Click here for the full 700x560 image.

He was a lot of fun to do. Goblin green for skin, dark angles green on the scales, with a wash of mud. To distract from the basic paint job, I covered him in warpaint. I was aiming for Day of the Dead/ Grim Fandango but ended up with a Haitian Voodoo Priest.

And these guys just for variety:

Click here for the full 1000x402 image.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

LewdMonocle posted:

Then I did this guy:

Click here for the full 700x566 image.

Click here for the full 700x560 image.

He was a lot of fun to do. Goblin green for skin, dark angles green on the scales, with a wash of mud. To distract from the basic paint job, I covered him in warpaint. I was aiming for Day of the Dead/ Grim Fandango but ended up with a Haitian Voodoo Priest.

Stealing this.

Awesome work dude.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Fyrbrand posted:

Come to south Florida and get people here to play.

Whereabouts in South Florida are you?

Albino skinks look boring. Do these. Do them all like this.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

A friend of mine emailed me this infinity diorama/display base he built:

The amount of effort and skill your friend needed to pull this off are both overwhelming and inspiring.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Pretty good posts on this page here, let's keep it up.

That diorama owns- especially that acetate/plexi or whatever the gently caress sign.

Edit: missed this.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Whereabouts in South Florida are you?

I'm in Fort Lauderdale. Actually I think we talked on aim like a year or two ago. If you ever feel like checking out Tate's (you should, the main comic store especially owns) let me know.

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 17, 2009

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Albino skinks might look good with a wash and coloured scales.

Click here for the full 303x1222 image.

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 17, 2009

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Lurker crosspostin my newest mini from EoW:

Someone please give me any advice at all on what I can do next time to make it look better / cooler. Better base? Higher contrast? Would love any constructive advice to help me improve.

PaintVagrant posted:

Well, they call it "platemail metal" but its pretty much boltgun
:gizz:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

rzal posted:

The amount of effort and skill your friend needed to pull this off are both overwhelming and inspiring.

Yeah, I was pretty much :aaaaa: when I saw it

He also did this:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Current WIP pics since I haven't had a chance to airbrush the Ironclad:

The terminator is that free WD one from ages ago, figured it was a good way to get rid of the assault cannon I had laying around.

Trying to figure out what to do for the trim on the bikes. I was originally thinking gold, but now I'm thinking black would be better, maybe save gold for the sergeant or just skip it altogether. Any opinions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
PV, How'd you do those Imp Fists? I really dug your job on those.

• Locked thread