Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate
I've just moved house and have no drat internets, but that means I've been able to paint some at least. My primer and screaming bell are both still boxed (I'll probably move them over tonight) but in the meantime I've been working on some gutter runners, 4 completed and another 4 half done, hopefully I'll get a chance to finish them off and base them tonight, I'll bring some photos on a usb to upload at work tomorrow. Then back to work on my bell :D . My wife works at an art supply shop and I think I'm getting some series 7s for christmas so I'll be keeping busy on my skaven over the holidays, trying to resist buying more stuff at the moment, painting up all my old dudes first. Think I'm gonna have to cave and get (mostly) new clanrats though, i guess half of the 100 or so old ones i've got can be slaves. Much as I like the new stormvermin i'll probably end up sticking with my current metals at least until everything else is bought and painted, and I need to start working on a model for my hellpit abomination..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
I wanted to post this into the General Warhams thread, but all I see there are photos of dogs and cocks, so I thought I'd better not.

Finally finished these suckers. I swear I've wasted more of my time making these things than I have any other model.

Click here for the full 800x644 image.

Click here for the full 640x1632 image.

Click here for the full 800x1442 image.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Size comparison with some PP, Infinity and GW stuff.

Click here for the full 800x611 image.

Head height 5.5cm, fits on a 40mm base. Comes in 9 parts +2/1 guns. Hopefully will cost GBP10.00 or thereabouts. Works with most GW-sized weaponry.

Comments welcomed.

Edit: I had so many problems coming up with a nice urban base for the painted one. :( If anyone knows of any good tutorials for them I would be grateful for links.

Edit 2: Got rid of the stupid smiley. Boy do I hate --> :D

Edit 3: If anyone has any good weathering tips for this type of model, do share them. I used some pastels for the gun barrels, feet and base, but the rest of the model looks a little too pristine for me. Trouble is I'm not sure how well the regular paint-chip weathering will work with rounded surfaces.

Edit 4: Gah, forgot to add a webpage address (for future updates, nothing there now about the battlesuit) http://z4miniatures.blogspot.com

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 17, 2009

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
I sort of want one, but I bet its gonna be like 30$ to get it to the US.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

!amicable posted:

I sort of want one, but I bet its gonna be like 30$ to get it to the US.

$19.20 shipped if the cost is GBP10.00. My shipping rates are pretty low, and if the USD holds at it's current rate for the next few months, it shouldn't go as high as $30. I know $19.20 isn't really that great either, but v:shobon:v.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Zandris, try light sponge-ed on weathering at the edges, and add some scratches/ paint damage on the rounded areas as well.

Standard "weathering + bottom edge highlight" type stuff.

I usually use scorched brown, but it depends on the color youre working on.

LewdMonocle
Mar 8, 2007

!amicable posted:

Awesome work dude.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Albino skinks look boring. Do these. Do them all like this.

Thanks! :dance:

Savage, dirt worshiping, hoople heads it is!

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
argh no more lizardmen so tempted ughhhh

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

NecronSchmecron posted:

These dudes loving own.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Crossposting from the Warhammer thread.

I used to play necrons, and I got really sick of the same pose over and over. They aren't done 100%, still need epoxy to fill in the joints, but they will likely never, ever get done.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
How does infinity play as a game? The miniatures look spectacular.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

LewdMonocle posted:

Then I did this guy:

Click here for the full 700x566 image.

Click here for the full 700x560 image.

He was a lot of fun to do. Goblin green for skin, dark angles green on the scales, with a wash of mud. To distract from the basic paint job, I covered him in warpaint. I was aiming for Day of the Dead/ Grim Fandango but ended up with a Haitian Voodoo Priest.
Green lizards are boring.

Green lizards with tribal tatoos and a Baron Samedi feel to them are drat cool and I've never seen anything like it before.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

The Dark Project posted:

How does infinity play as a game? The miniatures look spectacular.

Small scale skirmish, VERY lethal shooting, much more realistic "firefight" type of game. Cool sci fi pew pew type stuff, mechs, optic camo, etc.

Its sort of like playing a miniature battle version of ghost in the shell.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Goddammit... I really don't want to get into another game. Especially if none of my friends play.

But the Ariadna look awesome...

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

The Dark Project posted:

Goddammit... I really don't want to get into another game. Especially if none of my friends play.

But the Ariadna look awesome...

I have a local community who plays it, and its pretty much inevitable that Ill buy some at some point :unsmith:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

PaintVagrant posted:

Small scale skirmish, VERY lethal shooting, much more realistic "firefight" type of game. Cool sci fi pew pew type stuff, mechs, optic camo, etc.

Its sort of like playing a miniature battle version of ghost in the shell.

Did they get the hax in as well? I remember reading something in one version of the rules where the hackers could do funky stuff like cut power to the enemy's battle armor, or mess with their dropships so their "deepstrike" would go way, way off target.

Edit: Thanks for the advice on weathering. Does that technique work only for mud/dust, or does it work for paint chips as well?

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 17, 2009

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

The Infinity rules are available for download.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

Did they get the hax in as well? I remember reading something in one version of the rules where the hackers could do funky stuff like cut power to the enemy's battle armor, or mess with their dropships so their "deepstrike" would go way, way off target.

Edit: Thanks for the advice on weathering. Does that technique work only for mud/dust, or does it work for paint chips as well?

Its pretty much only for worn paint. Mud/dust are more about feathering layers of a dull color over the top of the main color.

Example of quick sponge weathering:

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Oh you evil, evil man.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

The Dark Project posted:

Oh you evil, evil man.

Here is a flash-based army builder.

You can get a starter kit, which is apparently about 120 points worth of stuff (6 figures), for about $40 from TheWarstore. Games range from 150 points (small) to 600 points.

I'm totally down to buy some Haqqislam. You could slide a unit of those right into a guard army no problem.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
When greenstuff dries, should it still be somewhat elastic or should it be rock hard? Because I rolled som scrap bits into a ball, flatened it to a brick, and after more than 12 hours I can still bend it. It eventually unbends to its original shape, but it's supposed to become super hard right?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Depends on your mix of yellow to green stuff. More yellow means slower dry, if I remember right, maybe even just ends up rubbery.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Z the IVth posted:

Size comparison with some PP, Infinity and GW stuff.

Click here for the full 800x611 image.

What was your process for the urban base you ended up with? Love the shattered pavement and the effect as a whole.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Son of a bitch that is awesome

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Yeah, too bad the unit purchase rules are so goddamn obtuse. They could really use someone to reorganize their book.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Fix posted:

Yeah, too bad the unit purchase rules are so goddamn obtuse. They could really use someone to reorganize their book.

Do you have the 2nd ed book? I remember the first ed book needing a serious editor, but it was still playable

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Dec 17, 2009

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

Fix posted:

Depends on your mix of yellow to green stuff. More yellow means slower dry, if I remember right, maybe even just ends up rubbery.

It's also like 4 years old, does kneadite have an "expiration date" of sorts?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

It's at that link I posted.

But I'm going to stop derailing your thread.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Fix posted:

It's at that link I posted.

But I'm going to stop derailing your thread.

Start and infinity thread and we can all post in it and wish we had people to play against

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Dr. Lenin posted:

When greenstuff dries, should it still be somewhat elastic or should it be rock hard? Because I rolled som scrap bits into a ball, flatened it to a brick, and after more than 12 hours I can still bend it. It eventually unbends to its original shape, but it's supposed to become super hard right?

There will always be some elasticity to green stuff, even after a full cure. It's not going to be a rock-hard product no matter what you do to it. As far as I know, only epoxies that have actual metal in them (like JB Weld) cure to anything of significant hardness.
If you want something that will air-dry into a solid, non-flexible brick, good ol' play-dough will do that. It shrinks considerably, however. There are more expensive alternatives with non-bake clay polymer products, many of which shrink very little.

EDIT: as far as I am aware, epoxies have no true shelf-life limitation. So long as the components are separate, they should last indefinitely.

Sole.Sushi fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Dec 17, 2009

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

lawl.

Maybe after I've gotten into it a bit. Infinity is still pretty much a wishlist item for me. I've had a set of Viral snipers hovering in my shopping cart for Eldar Pathfinders for a while now. There's actually four or five guys here who have starter sets. I'll have to see if I can arrange a training game or something.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

Sole.Sushi posted:

There will always be some elasticity to green stuff, even after a full cure. It's not going to be a rock-hard product no matter what you do to it. As far as I know, only epoxies that have actual metal in them (like JB Weld) cure to anything of significant hardness.

EDIT: as far as I am aware, epoxies have no true shelf-life limitation. So long as the components are separate, they should last indefinitely.

Thanks for the info, and same to you Fix. Just remembered I picked up some "Mix -n- Fix" epoxy putty from a hardware store a few weeks ago, I got 3 4oz tubes for $5. Hardens in 20 min, and is great for a base for larger hand sculpted minis / conversions, like my slug spawn (nicknamed Sluggo) that I made awhile back:

Not the best sculpt, but its a start and its just a lousy spawn anyways.

I might hand build a Greater Demon with this stuff, I'm reserving the actual greenstuff for smaller minis as the Mix-n-Fix tends to stick to my hands all the time when trying to make smaller parts.

Edit: I'm addicted to greenstuff now, making models extra nurgly is fun and easy.

Fake James fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Dec 17, 2009

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
Things I should not do: buy minis for every wargames ruleset that is interesting or good.

Anybody want to buy my War of the Rings and Flames of War armies?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

How do epoxy putties like greenstuff react to polystyrene? Badly?

EDIT: And what are the rough dimensions of a drop pod?

EDIT 2: I meant expanded polystyrene, like packing materials. Thinking about it, I'm sure it'll be okay, but I had a vague worry that it would melt it at least slightly.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Dec 17, 2009

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I think the plastic used in Warhammer models is polystyrene.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PaintVagrant posted:

nws that poo poo, man

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kestral posted:

What was your process for the urban base you ended up with? Love the shattered pavement and the effect as a whole.

I used some fimo, flattened it into a 1.5mm thick sheet and baked it. Then I broke it apart into pieces, glued them onto the base, and started attacking it with my knife. The small bits of rubble are made of sand mixed with PVA glue and applied lightly to the base.

Edit: You can probably substitute Fimo with spackle/wall filler, Milliput, Magic Sculpt or any other hard epoxy putty (don't use Greenstuff, it won't chip nicely), but I think Fimo is probably the best as it chips and flakes quite easily.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Fyrbrand posted:

Trying to figure out what to do for the trim on the bikes. I was originally thinking gold, but now I'm thinking black would be better, maybe save gold for the sergeant or just skip it altogether. Any opinions?

I'd do the trims in silver. I think it'll look better than black considering there are rivets in it.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

What's the difference between the silvery metallic paints, anyway? I look at them in the jars sometimes but I don't really see much difference in colour.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

What's the difference between the silvery metallic paints, anyway? I look at them in the jars sometimes but I don't really see much difference in colour.

If you mean the difference between boltgun/chainmail/mithril it's basically just that the particular shades of silver are different on the model, I believe because they have more black paint pre-mixed in. Boltgun is noticeably darker than chainmail which is darker than mithril.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

• Locked thread