Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
Watch the British original 'version', then. It's much better, although it's a different kind of show so the comparison is maybe not quite as potent. But basically it's more akin to Curb Your Enthusiasm (Gervais is a big fan of Larry David), in being nuanced character based comedy with good writing, rather than pratfalls and 'oh no he didn't' type stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
Just started on the pilot of Brotherhood. I don't get the initial impression that it's gonna be Wire/Sopranos good but it seems pretty solid so far.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
I got through season 1 of the Wire and I'm almost half-way through season 2.

I mean it's a good show, but it certainly hasn't been the greatest show ever. Season 1 seemed like it was building up to something and then failed to deliver. I hope season 2 doesn't make the same mistake.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
For the past couple of weeks I've been re-watching the Gene Hunt saga: Series 1 and 2 of "Life on Mars" and Series 1 and 2 of its sequel series, "Ashes to Ashes."

Everyone pretty much likes LoM, but a lot are put off by AtA. It gets better as the first series goes on, so I think some people just didn't give it a chance or were like "Ugh, 80s." I don't think either are available in Region 1, though, so get to unlocking your DVD player's region!

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

toomanyninjas posted:

Everyone pretty much likes LoM, but a lot are put off by AtA. It gets better as the first series goes on, so I think some people just didn't give it a chance or were like "Ugh, 80s." I don't think either are available in Region 1, though, so get to unlocking your DVD player's region!

Both seasons of Life on Mars UK is available in Region 1 - Ashes to Ashes is not.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Johnny B. Goode posted:

I got through season 1 of the Wire and I'm almost half-way through season 2.

I mean it's a good show, but it certainly hasn't been the greatest show ever. Season 1 seemed like it was building up to something and then failed to deliver. I hope season 2 doesn't make the same mistake.

You would do well to think of the first two seasons building up to the third, where poo poo gets real. Then the fourth season is one of the greatest things put on tv ever. I was struggling with the wire until the third season, but then all the back story really pays off as you really see all the mechanisms of "the game" at work.

Also, I've been trying to get into Sons of Anarchy after I saw a teaser for the 2nd season, but the first two episodes haven't really drawn me in. Does the show get better, or should I stop now if I'm not loving it?

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

HyperPuma posted:

Also, I've been trying to get into Sons of Anarchy after I saw a teaser for the 2nd season, but the first two episodes haven't really drawn me in. Does the show get better, or should I stop now if I'm not loving it?

Did you like "The Shield"? If so, keep watching. If you hated "The Shield", give it 4 more episodes and if you still don't like it, give up.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

HyperPuma posted:

The first time I started watching I didn't make it past the first episode. My biggest gripe were the characters, because I really hate a bad-boy-with-a-conscience type thing because it's so loving overused and all other ones are pretty much cookie cutter also.

Second time I was bored because there was nothing to watch and I went through the entire series (that was about a week ago). But I still don't think that much of it. It is at most somewhat entertaining.

The Shield is much better.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Rapsey posted:

The first time I started watching I didn't make it past the first episode. My biggest gripe were the characters, because I really hate a bad-boy-with-a-conscience type thing because it's so loving overused and all other ones are pretty much cookie cutter also.

Second time I was bored because there was nothing to watch and I went through the entire series (that was about a week ago). But I still don't think that much of it. It is at most somewhat entertaining.

The Shield is much better.

In fairness, the Shield did take about a season (or more, depending on who you ask) to really get rolling. I've only seen 1 1/2 episodes of SOA so far, but it's somewhere down there on my Netflix queue.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
I'm a sucker for the unexpected. The shield started off with a bang and I was intrigued from the beginning. All characters in it were quite original and I cared about what happened to them. Even if the story took a while to develop, the characters were interesting from day one.

SoA on the other hand you knew what a character was about after a minute of screen time and there was nothing surprising or original about them. The only real peace of character development in two seasons was Opie.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I'm going through Deadwood for my first time, currently a little ways into the second season. I think Bullock is supposed to be the protagonist, but I really just want to see Al spectacularly screw over the self-righteous prick.

I asked a guy at work if he watched Deadwood, he told me it looked too creepy. What?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I'm binging through It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia for the last two weeks now. Just started Season 3 and, my God, how was I not aware of this show earlier? Pitch black comedies is something you don't see enough of on TV. I think I am enjoying the four main characters (and Danny Devito) and how they interact and play off one another, it gets so hosed up at times but I'm laughing so hard.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

quote:

HyperPuma posted:

To be honest I didn't care for SOA after a few episodes but after seeing the previews for season 2 I decided to go back and rewatch the first season and it was loving fantastic. I don't know if I wasn't in the mood for it when I first started watching but now it's in my top 3 for the best shows on TV (1 and 2 being Breaking Bad and Mad Men). Give it a chance and if you're not into try again in a month or two, it will be worth it. The second season was by far one of the best things about tv this fall, maybe even the best.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
Uh holy loving poo poo they just killed off D'Angelo. What in the loving Christ he was the second to main character!?

The Wire isn't loving around is it?

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Johnny B. Goode posted:

Uh holy loving poo poo they just killed off D'Angelo. What in the loving Christ he was the second to main character!?

No, it isn't. And that's why we love it.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Johnny B. Goode posted:

Welcome to the Wire (insert emoticon of an unkempt, alcoholic, civil servant giving you a thumbs up)

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Finally finished off House - took over 4 months because I kept getting frustrated with stupid plot decisions and turning it off for awhile. I like Cameron and Thirteen a lot on their own, but their romantic entanglements were borderline insufferable. And I like Cuddy, but my god does she get some stupid plots sometimes. Fun show, just hard to binge on.

Not sure what's next.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've been re-watching the West Wing and my new Psych season 3 DVD. It's weird seeing Gus/Charlie on both shows. Also the police chief on Psych is young Mrs. Landingham in the "Two Cathedrals" episode of West Wing.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
I can't remember if posted this before, but oh well.

Over the past few months I've been tearing through all the Stargate shows. I started with the feature film, and moved on to SG-1. I just finished season 7 of SG-1 about a week ago, and am now doing the alternating episode thing between SG-1 and Atlantis. It's pretty fun being able to watch two shows with two distinct stories that still take place in the same 'universe'.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Just finished Rome. Last year I binged through Wire and Deadwood, just starting Carnivale.

God I love HBO.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Just started Castle. I didn't want to watch it originally cause I really like Nathan Fillion and didn't want to get wrapped up in another one of his shows only to have it canceled. After it got a 2nd season I decided to give it a shot and it's pretty good for a crime drama.

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.
I signed up for Netflix and checked out Brotherhood through the online streaming. Enjoying it so far, just finished season 2. I'd have to agree with someone's earlier sentiments. I was a bit disinterested during the first half of season 1, but am glad I stuck it out. Really enjoyed the last half, as well as season 2. Should be getting the season 3 discs tomorrow.

So, I'm trying to decide what to start on next. I noticed Netflix had all five seasons of Lost for online viewing. I haven't looked into the series much, but noticed the last season is coming up in February. What's the general consensus on the series? May try to binge on it to catch up before the sixth season starts.

Love this thread by the way. Caught quite a few series that had slipped under my radar. Greatly enjoyed them, and looking forward to checking out the rest of the recommendations I still have on my list.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Vizrt posted:

So, I'm trying to decide what to start on next. I noticed Netflix had all five seasons of Lost for online viewing. I haven't looked into the series much, but noticed the last season is coming up in February. What's the general consensus on the series? May try to binge on it to catch up before the sixth season starts.

The people who like tend to love it and the people who dislike it tend to hate it. I'd say watch the first four episodes and if you're not hooked by then it may not be for you, though marathoning it gives you the benefit of not having to wait a week between episodes so it probably won't try your patience as it has done for a lot of people. If you do watch all 5 seasons before the final one starts though, be prepared for the drop to only one episode a week.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I'm looking for a show to watch over the winter. I'd like to watch a feel good show that is just plain fun. The best example I can think of that I have seen is Chuck. I would give examples of my favorite shows, but they aren't representative of what I am looking for.

All this said, I'm not looking for something that is completely non-serious. I like shows that can successfully blend humour and fun with action, drama etc.

Any suggestions?

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Dec 26, 2009

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
If you interpret action as singing and dancing Glee is perfect :)
Try a few episodes, it's a lot of fun.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Shakugan posted:

I'm looking for a show to watch over the winter. I'd like to watch a feel good show that is just plain fun. The best example I can think of that I have seen is Chuck. I would give examples of my favorite shows, but they aren't representative of what I am looking for.

All this said, I'm not looking for something that is completely non-serious. I like shows that can successfully blend humour and fun with action, drama etc.

Any suggestions?

Burn Notice

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

Shakugan posted:

Any suggestions?

I second Glee (of course), and Burn Notice is also awesome, but I'm having a blast going through Gossip Girl. It's so, so stupid, but it's bad in a funny way, if that's something you're in to. Also there are pretty people of both genders to ogle.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I got The Wire and Rome for christmas, which series should I binge through first?

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

KidDynamite posted:

I got The Wire and Rome for christmas, which series should I binge through first?

Rome first - it's shorter.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

Whichever one you do, I'd recommend doing the whole series in one go. Each one has the potential to leave you lost if you leave at the wrong time and then return.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Watching my way through Supernatural right now. Just finished season 2, but my season 3 DVDs are in another state, so I won't be able to watch any more until New Year's. :(. After I've finished Supernatural, I believe I also need to finish my X-Files run.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am
Been binging through How I Met Your Mother after I found myself exhausted and unable to watch anything more substantial (The Wire is still sitting there). Not that I'm making GBS threads on HIMYM, it's a great show, and I'm not saying it's only great for a sitcom. It knows what it's doing and does it better than most other shows that try. Still, I am looking forward to the Wire, and I still have to finish off the latest series' of the Thick of It, Peep Show and Dexter.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's a disturbing lack of Friday Night Lights in this thread. It's a great show and far better than anything on Showtime.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I binged through Twin Peaks in late October and November, and even started a TVIV thread about it. Better late than never, I guess! Then I watched the final season of The Shield, which I never got to see because I didn't have cable for almost two years.

Now my wife and I are tearing through How I Met Your Mother thanks to Netflix, and loving every minute of it. We're already on the last disc of Season 3 after only about two weeks. This is the first show we've ever been able to fully enjoy as a couple. The awkwardness of The Office eventually turned her off, and I never really liked Grey's Anatomy back when we watched it together, but we're totally bonding over watching Marshall and Lily (who remind us a hell of a lot of us).

Next up, I'm hoping to get Glee from Netflix for both of us, but it's already on "Short Wait" status. I'll probably binge through Dexter Season 2 next on my own. Is Leverage any good, by any chance?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Been binging through Battlestar Galactica recently. I didn't get Sci-Fi during the first season, and although I watched an episode here and there in later seasons and enjoyed it, it's just an impossible show to get into without watching from the beginning. I held off until the entire run was done, so it's remained around the top of my binge list for literally years now, and seeing it pop up on all these best of the aughts lists kicked my rear end into gear to watch the entire thing. Political sci-fi drama is basically right up my alley, so I don't know what the frak took me this long, it's approximately the best thing ever.

Kash
Jul 17, 2003

It's ironic. I finally have love in my heart but, alas, there is blood in my urine.

Mu Zeta posted:

There's a disturbing lack of Friday Night Lights in this thread. It's a great show and far better than anything on Showtime.

Ok then. After coming back from a holiday in the US and catching some entertaining football games I decided to get round to watching it, which I'd been meaning to do for a year or so.

It is indeed brilliant and I'm glad that it's still in existance, it seems like the kind of show a network would easily cancel.

Also I just watched through Chuck again in preparation for the new season, it's a totally different kind of show, but it's just so entertaining.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm working my way through Californication, and I'm loving it. I just started the third season, and before i watched this, i had no idea that Duchovney was such a hilarious actor. Hank Moody is one of the most likeable characters i've ever seen on a show.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Fonzarelli posted:

I'm working my way through Californication, and I'm loving it. I just started the third season, and before i watched this, i had no idea that Duchovney was such a hilarious actor. Hank Moody is one of the most likeable characters i've ever seen on a show.

You should just skip right past all of season 3 and go right for the finale. Aside from it the whole season was dreadful. (and I loved the first two)

content:
I just binged through season 1 of Better Off Ted. Great show, I wonder why I didn't watch it when it was originally on because I do remember watching the pilot as it aired.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Kash posted:

It is indeed brilliant and I'm glad that it's still in existance, it seems like the kind of show a network would easily cancel.

They've tried to get rid of Friday Night Lights. Many times.

It was a bubble show after the first season that got brought back because NBC's pilot slate was beyond atrocious that spring, and they got the funny idea to stick it on Friday (get it?) during a period when they were trying to compete on that night. The cost of renewal was that NBC took a "creative interest" in the show, which turned it into The O.C.: Texas Edition for about 10 episodes. That didn't work at all, and it was considered a total goner and strike casualty after the second season, except DirecTV underwrote most of NBC's costs in exchange for first-run airing rights because they were trying to build up The 101. It still looked dead after the third season but DTV very unexpectedly bought two more seasons, which NBC is using in repeats for summer programming a la Merlin and whichever L&O airs first on cable. And as the survival of shows like Til Death and According to Jim have shown, networks will put up with amazingly low ratings so long as the costs are essentially zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Got through season 1 of Mad Men and ordered the second season.

It took me three-or-so viewings of the pilot to get into the show, but I'm so glad, I did.

The Kodak Caroussel had me on the brink of bawling, and aside from "that moment" in Six Feet Under, I can't remember when I experienced TV magic like this.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Dec 30, 2009