Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

hydrixel posted:

Bitchin' room, I love those DWR shelves, thinking about taking that design and just building it myself because of the price tag on them. That Eames lounge and ottoman is the attention grabber in that picture though. Do you have an Airia desk? Are they really as rad as they look, haven't seen one up close yet but the desk lamp I've seen pictured with them looks slick. Didn't think the most impressive picture I'd see in this thread wouldn't have a computer in it.

The only L shape designer desk I can think of are the Herman Miller Burdick group desks. Unfortunately, they have discontinued much of the series. They look sharp though. My boss gave me some extra parts he had and I was able to piece one together in an L-Shape for my office. Kind of hard to track down though, drat near impossible, but it has a really cool industrial feel. My set up is similar to this, I even have that same Eames high back:

Click here for the full 800x413 image.

EDIT: Just realized those aren't DWR, but they look just like the Chicago eight box.

Jesus that is like my dream desk.

edit: :( http://cgi.ebay.com/Herman-Miller-B...=item4a9c5ba773

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
This is where it all happens. Someone please buy me a mixer!

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

tehschulman posted:

That's a nice laptop stand. I like how there is space underneath it to put stuff.

Milo Pollywalter
Nov 25, 2006

there's a bear going round, taking names
Recently got myself a Mac Mini to replace my ailing hackintosh, and I've finally done a proper cleanup of my setup.

Old and busted (I should have gotten a proper photo, this doesn't do it justice how much of a mess it was):

Click here for the full 1000x666 image.

New hotness:

Click here for the full 1000x669 image.

The brightness doesn't look right and I hosed up the angle of the camera, but you get the point. Also switched out to a nice and slim apple keyboard, although my wrists are already feeling it.

I switched desks/rooms entirely, as well as pulled out the vast majority of my deprecated hardware. I had a whole bunch of poo poo (switch, KVM, etc) in there for switching to my Windows gaming desktop, but I'm trying to find a way to compact that so for now I'm leaving it out.

Milo Pollywalter fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Dec 16, 2009

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
It looks the same...

Edit: gently caress you fixed it as I was posting. drat you! New setup is nice though :)

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

tehschulman posted:

This is where it all happens. Someone please buy me a mixer!

Lefties. :smug::respek::smug:

Sultry Fungus
Oct 29, 2006

Phallic Fungus make me happy.

Milo Pollywalter posted:

Recently got myself a Mac Mini to replace my ailing hackintosh, and I've finally done a proper cleanup of my setup.

Old and busted (I should have gotten a proper photo, this doesn't do it justice how much of a mess it was):

Click here for the full 1000x666 image.

New hotness:

Click here for the full 1000x669 image.

The brightness doesn't look right and I hosed up the angle of the camera, but you get the point. Also switched out to a nice and slim apple keyboard, although my wrists are already feeling it.

I switched desks/rooms entirely, as well as pulled out the vast majority of my deprecated hardware. I had a whole bunch of poo poo (switch, KVM, etc) in there for switching to my Windows gaming desktop, but I'm trying to find a way to compact that so for now I'm leaving it out.

What kind of monitor stand are you using? (too dark to see!)

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

hydrixel posted:

Bitchin' room, I love those DWR shelves, thinking about taking that design and just building it myself because of the price tag on them. That Eames lounge and ottoman is the attention grabber in that picture though. Do you have an Airia desk? Are they really as rad as they look, haven't seen one up close yet but the desk lamp I've seen pictured with them looks slick. Didn't think the most impressive picture I'd see in this thread wouldn't have a computer in it.
Right now I'm just drooling over the Airia, but torn on actually getting one because I like the giant work surface area of my lovely glass L desk. Maybe I should take a picture. :v:

quote:

EDIT: Just realized those aren't DWR, but they look just like the Chicago eight box.
Yeah they're from Crate & Barrel, but came in packages that said Blu Dot. The Chicago 8 is also massive compared to them, about as wide as a set and half. I liked these because I could corner one set and it would match the wardrobe, and the height difference still worked with my original lone bookshelf. The ones DWR sold were actually a knockoff that Blu Dot sued them over:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Dem Bones posted:

The ones DWR sold were actually a knockoff that Blu Dot sued them over:

Original > DWR

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Milo Pollywalter posted:

What made you decide to pay out the extra for a mac mini instead of just getting a newer hackintosh.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Juriko posted:

What made you decide to pay out the extra for a mac mini instead of just getting a newer hackintosh.

minis are cheap dude.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Bucket Joneses posted:

minis are cheap dude.

Cheaper than other macs, but not as cheap as a PC with similar hardware. I am a mac user, it wasn't meant to be a negative question I just wondered what the deciding factor was to make the switch.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Juriko posted:

Cheaper than other macs, but not as cheap as a PC with similar hardware. I am a mac user, it wasn't meant to be a negative question I just wondered what the deciding factor was to make the switch.

This is iffy - I think you'd be harder pressed to get a PC that's also the same size and noise level of a Mini at a significantly reduced price.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

mediaphage posted:

Looks very nice, but I'm not really understanding that price. Why is it so expensive, when it looks fairly simple?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I feel safe to post this now

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Maybe I should clean up or something

Nonedit: Also holy poo poo the curve has the worst camera I've ever seen

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

mediaphage posted:

This is iffy - I think you'd be harder pressed to get a PC that's also the same size and noise level of a Mini at a significantly reduced price.

He said he already had aged hackintosh he replaced it with, and unless aged is like a year there is no way the old one was mini sized. I just wondered what made him take the plunge specifically.

glompix posted:

Looks very nice, but I'm not really understanding that price. Why is it so expensive, when it looks fairly simple?

It is a Herman Miller desk. It is going to be low run, high quality designer furniture. Part of it is materials, part of it is build, and part of it is the name/design. It is kind of like asking how the Embody costs so much. After you sit in one you either think its worth it or don't. The leap is a lot less expensive and it is a great chair, but it isn't the embody.

Milo Pollywalter
Nov 25, 2006

Sultry Fungus posted:

What kind of monitor stand are you using? (too dark to see!)
Originally I got it on ebay. There is a similar one here, although that's not the same guy I bought it from. It says max 22" but I've got a 24" samsung on the right there with an adapter plate and it's been working great.

Juriko posted:

mediaphage posted:

Yeah, this is basically it. I have yet to see a micro/miniATX PC case that is as nice as the Mini's - especially for the price. By comparison, my Hackintosh was this huge loving Thermaltake chassis (with 2x 120mm turbine-like fans) that I could have probably fit 10 Minis in. I was running that with a single 320GB drive (same as I have in my Mini now, albeit 5400rpm vs 7200rpm I think?), so functionally it's the same but physically it's so much better - whisper quiet and doesn't look like a giant tower of poo poo next to my desk.

My other main motivation was that my Hackintosh kept having issues with not seeing the network interface as 'built-in', which totally broke most Bonjour stuff. I went with proper Apple hardware so I wouldn't have to deal with the constant breaking of my Hackintosh, so far it has been incredibly reliable and well-performing.

Milo Pollywalter fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 17, 2009

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Milo Pollywalter posted:

Yeah, this is basically it. I have yet to see a micro/miniATX PC case that is as nice as the Mini's - especially for the price.

True, I can think of a few companies making SFF PC's along with a few hardware/case combos you can go with, but I have no clue what their hackintosh support would be like. My instincts say iffy. My problem with trying to build a decent one has been frustratingly enough the power supply. Everytime I find a great case they have a pathetic PSU that would run nothing but ULV hardware. I have found a handful of custom PSU options that cost way to much after shipping from europe. Were talking making the case/PSU alone close to 400 dollars.

Also Monoprice sells similar arms.

Milo Pollywalter
Nov 25, 2006

Juriko posted:

Were talking making the case/PSU alone close to 400 dollars.
Yeah this is exactly what I found, I mean it is technically doable to build a mac mini-like hackintosh but chances are you would end up spending almost or possibly even more than the actual cost of the Mini - let alone the time spent messing around with kexts etc. When I bought my mini, it was ~40min from unboxing to running everything I had on my hackintosh.

Juriko posted:

Also Monoprice sells similar arms.
Yeah I'd looked there, but the problem I found (atleast with this dual monitor one, which I think is the only dual one they have in that format) is that the height was lacking. That one on monoprice can only go up to ~350mm, while the one I've got is ~440mm and I could still do with taller - I find I still slouch a lot while using it. I'm considering putting a spacer between the bottom of the base and the desk.

Milo Pollywalter fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 17, 2009

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Juriko posted:

It is a Herman Miller desk. It is going to be low run, high quality designer furniture. Part of it is materials, part of it is build, and part of it is the name/design. It is kind of like asking how the Embody costs so much. After you sit in one you either think its worth it or don't. The leap is a lot less expensive and it is a great chair, but it isn't the embody.

Oh the chairs I understand. I had an Aeron at my old job and absolutely loved it. The desk is what I was confused about. I'm thinking a lot of it is name/design, unless it's like, made of titanium or something.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Milo Pollywalter posted:

Originally I got it on ebay. There is a similar one here, although that's not the same guy I bought it from. It says max 22" but I've got a 24" samsung on the right there with an adapter plate and it's been working great.

Yeah, this is basically it. I have yet to see a micro/miniATX PC case that is as nice as the Mini's - especially for the price. By comparison, my Hackintosh was this huge loving Thermaltake chassis (with 2x 120mm turbine-like fans) that I could have probably fit 10 Minis in. I was running that with a single 320GB drive (same as I have in my Mini now, albeit 5400rpm vs 7200rpm I think?), so functionally it's the same but physically it's so much better - whisper quiet and doesn't look like a giant tower of poo poo next to my desk.

My other main motivation was that my Hackintosh kept having issues with not seeing the network interface as 'built-in', which totally broke most Bonjour stuff. I went with proper Apple hardware so I wouldn't have to deal with the constant breaking of my Hackintosh, so far it has been incredibly reliable and well-performing.

Yeah it's slower. I tell you what, though, putting an SSD into it really changes the Mini's experience. Seriously, it's a little nutty haha.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Milo Pollywalter posted:

Yeah this is exactly what I found, I mean it is technically doable to build a mac mini-like hackintosh but chances are you would end up spending almost or possibly even more than the actual cost of the Mini - let alone the time spent messing around with kexts etc. When I bought my mini, it was ~40min from unboxing to running everything I had on my hackintosh.

Yeah I'd looked there, but the problem I found (atleast with this dual monitor one, which I think is the only dual one they have in that format) is that the height was lacking. That one on monoprice can only go up to ~350mm, while the one I've got is ~440mm and I could still do with taller - I find I still slouch a lot while using it. I'm considering putting a spacer between the bottom of the base and the desk.

I've done similar. The only computer that comes close to the Mini really these days is the Dell Zino. I'm excited to spend some hands-on time with one.

Oops, sorry for the double posting.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
I bet some of you guys would pass out if you saw the cable mess that is hiding behind these desks:

-

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Retape posted:

I bet some of you guys would pass out if you saw the cable mess that is hiding behind these desks:

Maybe but not really. Cable messes are tragic when they are easily preventable. That just looks like one of those situations where you are hosed either way. Especially if you swap out stuff regularly, which would make actually trying to tame the beast annoying.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I regret selling my 909 :(

I'll have a picture in a couple weeks. I'm in between places at the moment, got a desk set up in the corner of my parents garage so I can do some degree of work until I get the keys. It's a grim setup.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

cubicle gangster posted:

got a desk set up in the corner of my parents garage so I can do some degree of work until I get the keys. It's a grim setup.

Those make the best pictures.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

Before surround sound speakers (sorry for the lovely cell phone pics =( )

After surround speakers, I moved my rig down to the floor.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

You should put the sub on the floor as far away from everything else as you can.

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.
Goddammit, I just got a new monitor / TV and now instead of studying for finals I'm taking pictures of it and reading this poo poo. Goddammit.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

Sir Nigel posted:

You should put the sub on the floor as far away from everything else as you can.

It's all decorated with stickers now though =(, I don't want to lose seeing my Billy Mays sticker!

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

What's the point in having a 5.1 system if every speaker is sitting right in front of you?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

diospadre posted:

What's the point in having a 5.1 system if every speaker is sitting right in front of you?

More speakers! :eng99:

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

diospadre posted:

You can have 5.1 that is front front side side center sub instead of front front rear rear center sub. That is how mine is setup.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Sir Nigel posted:

You can have 5.1 that is front front side side center sub instead of front front rear rear center sub. That is how mine is setup.

Which is useless since all the commercial 5.1 mixes are 2xfronts, 2xrears, center and sub.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

thelightguy posted:

Which is useless since all the commercial 5.1 mixes are 2xfronts, 2xrears, center and sub.

It still gives you more of a picture of whats behind you than 2.1 will. It slides the positioning up so the timing is right that's all. Your mind is capable of compressing its hearing FOV/POV and taking what is, in reality, the speaker directly to your left and knowing that the sound from there is, in virtual reality, behind you and to the left.

It's certainly not optimal. Nor is it the greatest for the quality of said sound, but lets be honest here, that looks to be a logitech 5.1 system and he is probably using onboard sound, so its going to be muddled and bass heavy and loud and that is exactly what he wants probably. Would more of us like to be able to mount those 2 rears actually behind us? Yeah, I wish the cables for mine were a bit longer and there was somewhere to but speakers behind me but my back is to the room and the nearest wall/furniture is 10 feet behind me so I'd just have to speakers on little stands in the middle of the room.

Sir Nigel fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 18, 2009

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

thelightguy posted:

Uh no. Most 5.1 is configured and mixed for the "surrounds" to be at your side or a little behind (110˚). Don't believe me, ask THX and Dolby.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

He was defending the guy who had the rear surrounds 1 foot from the front surrounds and facing in the same direction. Also, everything I've seen including your links recommends the 110* figure you quoted, which is behind you, not "at your side".

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Dem Bones posted:

Uh no. Most 5.1 is configured and mixed for the "surrounds" to be at your side or a little behind (110˚). Don't believe me, ask THX and Dolby.

The picture shows them at like 75, not 110. It's just a waste of money and desk space.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

mediaphage posted:

The gently caress? Eight Grand? Is this thing made out of gold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Tab8715 posted:

The gently caress? Eight Grand? Is this thing made out of gold?

Its masterfully designed with superior adhesives and is on display at MOMA.