Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Is it normal to have to put a couple of coats of Sunburst Yellow on top of white primer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Yeah, I usually apply it in 2 thin coats. Yellow paint is very transparent

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

PaintVagrant posted:

Yeah, I usually apply it in 2 thin coats. Yellow paint is very transparent

I had a little drop of Karnifax Green land on the place I'm doing the yellow. Ugh, its almost impossible to paint over. :(

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax

Iron Squid posted:

I had a little drop of Karnifax Green land on the place I'm doing the yellow. Ugh, its almost impossible to paint over. :(

put spacewolf grey or iylladen darksun over the spot. then yellow over that.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

FirstCongoWar posted:

If you mean the difference between boltgun/chainmail/mithril it's basically just that the particular shades of silver are different on the model, I believe because they have more black paint pre-mixed in. Boltgun is noticeably darker than chainmail which is darker than mithril.

Sweet, that helps. Now I guess I should buy some Chainmail.

And am I using Tin Bitz wrong by painting it straight onto black? Even after shaking for a while, it's rather dark and transparent-looking on the model; should I be putting it over a silver metallic to fill it in, or is that how it's supposed to be?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Aranan posted:

black man-o-wars from pages 13 and 14

I found where those pictures came from!

http://www.jrn-works.dk/gallery/mini.php?range=Warmachine&model=Manowar

It seems that the highlights themselves are done with both blues and greys, not just straight up greys and whites. I guess they're also glazed with reds and purples for added richness to the blacks and the highlights, but I have no idea about any of that stuff.

Thanks once again for the minis, I will let you know when I receive them!

edit: speak of the devil they arrived just today like an hour after I posted

aldantefax fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 17, 2009

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

aldantefax posted:

I found where those pictures came from!

http://www.jrn-works.dk/gallery/mini.php?range=Warmachine&model=Manowar

It seems that the highlights themselves are done with both blues and greys, not just straight up greys and whites. I guess they're also glazed with reds and purples for added richness to the blacks and the highlights, but I have no idea about any of that stuff.

Thanks once again for the minis, I will let you know when I receive them!

edit: speak of the devil they arrived just today like an hour after I posted

Nice find! He says that the black is "glazed with thinned down red and purple inks" but I'm not really sure how that works. Wouldn't glazing black just result in wasting paint?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I dunno if he primes black. I would ASSUME he does, but if he primed another color, but that's the only way that'd make sense to glaze.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Aetilus posted:

put spacewolf grey or iylladen darksun over the spot. then yellow over that.

Iyaden Darksun is a godsend when it comes to painting yellow. I still tend to use two coats of Golden Yellow over the Iyaden while working on my Boyz, but it works really well.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
To Dr. Lenin:
For adding detail and fine work with a two-part epoxy, don't use one that hardens in 20 minutes. It will start to harden shortly after being mixed, which makes the adding of detail all the much harder, and thus takes more time, which means you might not get everything that you want out of it. Gale Force 9 makes green stuff in large tubes for a reasonable price if I'm not mistaken--I bought mine at least 5 years ago, and I have yet to go through half of them.
Using the epoxy as you did, however, seems to work just fine, and would work for building a base to use green stuff to add detail later, and since it's cheap it's good to use if you want to try something new, creative and generally silly without having to worry about loss of product.

To Gravitas Shortfall: Most two-part epoxies will not react with any kind of plastic, no matter what shape or form its in. In fact, it's non-reactive with most materials, so feel free to make a foam core for your Hellpit Abomination (or what-have-you) and give it a coat of green stuff for detail.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
The GF9 stuff is just rebadged Kneadatite. One of those big tubes'll run you $13 and last you essentially forever.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Paint Vagrant, how'd you do those Imperial Fist Marines I saw a while back? I may want to start them.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

white primer
sunburst
sepia
devlan in some recesses, sort of blend it with the side of a brush
highlight sunburst+white
weather

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

PaintVagrant posted:

white primer
sunburst
sepia
devlan in some recesses, sort of blend it with the side of a brush
highlight sunburst+white
weather

Thanks!

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

I am really out of practice with my marines. Forcing myself to at least try doing basic edge highlights. Sloppy, but hopefully I'll get better.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

PaintVagrant posted:

As much as I like the big ship, the 2 smaller classes look too alike and a lot of others have pointed out how the miniature range is quite samey.

Yes I know that this was the case with BFG too, but the it was hidden better by their nature of being giant space cathedrals. The clean nature of that range makes it really stick out.

I know some of it is done for ease of identification for similar groups of ships but for some reason the sizing down of an existing ship just irks me.

(Those Grey Knights look good for just a coat of primer)

Edit - Those medium ships look they are designed to fit additional broadside weapons, is this the case or not?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Nah, the terran cruisers are as-is. The GKS have a shade on top of the primer ;)

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

PaintVagrant posted:

Nah, the terran cruisers are as-is.

Pity, I think they should have more guns; everything needs more guns.

PaintVagrant posted:

The GKS have a shade on top of the primer ;)

Amazing :monocle:

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Just finished what's hopefully my last carpet archers. Didn't have any more archers to convert, so I resorted to sculpting quite a bit of these myself. Did these just so I can field two units if I ever want to (but who am I kidding, I never play, I just paint), or just one huge unit.

Pictures!

Plastics and green stuff:

Click here for the full 802x538 image.

All done:

aaaaand a groupshot of Mahmoud the Serpent's Flying Circus:

Click here for the full 1180x672 image.

Yeah, a few bases to do still...

Just two more units to finish; then I'll never have to paint a model for this army again.

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax
crosspost of my Bret progress from the other thread. sorry for the glare

The whole set

My general up close

Errant on the left with general, KotR on the right with bsb

just finished these M@A

Archers and their lady (and her snail)

Peasant sampler, yeomen in back

one more group shot

next: peg knights

Aetilus fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Dec 18, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Sole.Sushi posted:

In fact, it's non-reactive with most materials, so feel free to make a foam core for your Hellpit Abomination

Mycetic Spore Pod. :smug:

(actually just brainstorming ideas for it at the moment, found that I can get hollow polystyrene eggs).

R.S. Gumby posted:

Click here for the full 802x538 image.

All done:

aaaaand a groupshot of Mahmoud the Serpent's Flying Circus:

Click here for the full 1180x672 image.

These are awesome, you're awesome.

Arkibus
Jul 11, 2001

Aetilus posted:

These are awesome but how come they are so glossy?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Aetilus posted:

crosspost of my Bret progress from the other thread. sorry for the glare

The whole set

My general up close

Errant on the left with general, KotR on the right with bsb

just finished these M@A

Archers and their lady (and her snail)

Peasant sampler, yeomen in back

one more group shot

next: peg knights

They look like they're coated in a thin layer of semen. Other than that they look fantastic.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Sole.Sushi posted:

To Dr. Lenin:
For adding detail and fine work with a two-part epoxy, don't use one that hardens in 20 minutes.

Oh I know, I'm using it for creating a base to put detail over, kinda making an armature frame with it first. Greenstuffed details will go over that. Thanks for the recommendation of GF9, I was actually about to post asking where I can find more kneadite for cheap!

On a side note, any advice on getting greenstuff to stick well to legs / sides of space marines? I've been using my knife and a pen to shape it, but it always peels off the plastic first with very little effort. Ends up taking a long time to get anything to stick.

Fake James fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Dec 18, 2009

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

R.S. Gumby posted:

Just finished what's hopefully my last carpet archers. Didn't have any more archers to convert, so I resorted to sculpting quite a bit of these myself. Did these just so I can field two units if I ever want to (but who am I kidding, I never play, I just paint), or just one huge unit.

Pictures!

I just want to say that your army is beautiful and your sculpting/painting jobs really do the trick. I scrolled down from the painted minis to the greenstuff expecting you to have added a beard or a sash, but you did the whole drat thing. Wow.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Hey everybody. My Salamanders have troops. Let's get them some space ships.

I still need to build another strike cruiser. It took me forever to pin those frigates to the bases. The Firestorm classes were more of a pain in the rear end to assemble than the Battlebarge was. The second piece to the frigate was too thin on the edges to pin so that didn't help.

Too many frigates?

This is easily becoming my favorite flying castle.

Painting coming soon.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Fyrbrand posted:

Come to south Florida and get people here to play.

I need to go back down south eventually, good portion of my family lives there. But yeah I'm currently on vacation, and yes !amicable, I finnally found my camera. Yes, I've also placed in every tournament in the past 4 months. A solid 3rd of my army has come from tournament winnings. I've also resolved myself to paint the rest of the army within the next few months.

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax

Arkibus posted:

These are awesome but how come they are so glossy?

matte varnish looks like that when you take quick photos with the flash accidentally on and instead of a light box you put two desk lamps 10 inches above the models with no white/reflective surfaces to soften the glare.

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
Ive started painting again, and Ive got a bit of a question. I've been painting over regal blue with enchanted as a highlight. I'm using the enchanted in really really thin coats attempting to get gradual highlights, but it looks pretty chalky. Is this just some quirk of the paint I have, or am I missing something?

Cross posted from the warhamm thread

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Dr. Lenin posted:

On a side note, any advice on getting greenstuff to stick well to legs / sides of space marines? I've been using my knife and a pen to shape it, but it always peels off the plastic first with very little effort. Ends up taking a long time to get anything to stick.

If you're working with green stuff, you'll have the bright yellow-green stuff, and the blue stuff that makes the wonderful dark green stuff we all know and love. If you want to make your green stuff more tacky so it will stick to a surface, add more of the yellow-green (60/40 mix works fine) and it will be considerably more adhesive. However, by doing this the final hardness of the green stuff can turn out to be far more flexible than you'll want. The other option is to take a hobby knife and score up the areas that you will be putting green stuff over, then take a file and further rough up the area. This will provide more surface area (tooth) for the green stuff to take to, which should prevent it from peeling.
Additionally, I've seen people talk about using vaseline to coat their tools to prevent sticking. Considering out tenacious that vaseline is, I avoid it completely and simply use water. Once you get your ball of putty mixed up, dip it into a cup of clean water to keep it from sticking to your fingers and tools, apply it to your surface, then dip your sculpting tool in water before bringing it to the putty. Keep in mind, it doesn't need to be drenched, just wet enough to prevent adhesion.
The only other thing I can think of is that your green stuff is getting too stiff to work with. I've been finding out while working on my latest project that green stuff will sometimes just not want to stick to anything. I just pitch that piece, or shape it into a rock to use on a base or something.

EDIT: The project that I spoke of might be relevant to your interests. I can post some photos and a step-by-step if you'd like, as it involves adding green stuff to marines.

Sole.Sushi fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 18, 2009

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Morning posted:

Ive started painting again, and Ive got a bit of a question. I've been painting over regal blue with enchanted as a highlight. I'm using the enchanted in really really thin coats attempting to get gradual highlights, but it looks pretty chalky. Is this just some quirk of the paint I have, or am I missing something?

Cross posted from the warhamm thread

Sometimes paint can be thinned too much, could that be the case? then the pigment seperates and you get sort of blotchiness.

enchanted is a bitch mofo of a color to work with.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

PaintVagrant posted:

Maybe for you, sucka :twisted:

j/k I just cheat with mine so it doesn't count.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

PaintVagrant posted:

Start with Necron Abyss.

Morning
Aug 10, 2008

Broken Loose posted:

Start with Necron Abyss.

I did. Its necron abyss -> Royal Blue ->wash in crevasses -> Enchanted Blue highlights

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Morning posted:

I did. Its necron abyss -> Royal Blue ->wash in crevasses -> Enchanted Blue highlights

Maybe do another light wash to blend the highlights in more?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Maybe do another light wash to blend the highlights in more?

You might have to make the final highlight a mix of enchanted and the base color, it sounds like it might be too big a jump

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Broken Loose posted:

Start with Necron Abyss.

Necron Abyss: ruthless...

Also my next project is this guy:

I'm gonna do the robes a bit darker than that but otherwise it's mostly the same. Any tips on making the book's pages look weathered to hell? I actually care how he looks cause he's for Dark Heresy. Cept I need to put a flamer on him somewhere.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

MWH + sepia!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

PaintVagrant posted:

MWH + sepia!

JESUS CHRIST PV is it really the answer to everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Sole.Sushi posted:

The project that I spoke of might be relevant to your interests. I can post some photos and a step-by-step if you'd like, as it involves adding green stuff to marines.

This would be great. Thanks for all the advice so far, my method isn't so good when the small amount of work I've done has taken about 30 minutes per torso.

• Locked thread