Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

oldpainless posted:

You know what has always annoyed the poo poo out of me for six years now? How the effectiveness of someone in the ring changes so widely in such a short amount of time.

This is what annoys me:
In the middle of 2002, Hollywood Hogan wrestled the Undertaker for the title. It doesn't matter who won, all that matters is both men were portrayed as strong and able to match up against each other. It wasn't some one-sided massacre.

Later, Vince Mcmahon and Hulk Hogan feud and have a match at WM 19. This is approximately 10 months or so after Hogan and Undertaker fought. In this match, Vince is portrayed as equal to Hogan. He is in control of the match for most of it and is able to overpower Hogan on several occasions during the match.

Even later, Mcmahon and Undertaker feud at SS 03. This is approximately 6 months after WM 19 and 18 months after Hogan and Taker fought. But in this match, Vince is totally unable to stand against Taker. Taker massacres Vince and beats his rear end the whole match. The first punch busts Vince open and he bleeds all over the place. Vince has no chance against Taker

So how the gently caress does the relationship between these three men make any sense? Taker and Hogan are equal, Vince and Hogan are equal, but Taker is miles ahead of Vince??? I know wrestling is fake and I shouldnt get annoyed but this has bothered the piss outta me for a while. And now Im done

This is an example of what's bothering me about the current deal with Sheamus. Dude loses to Goldust, then he can knock out John Cena multiple times? what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

oldpainless posted:

You know what has always annoyed the poo poo out of me for six years now? How the effectiveness of someone in the ring changes so widely in such a short amount of time.

This is what annoys me:
In the middle of 2002, Hollywood Hogan wrestled the Undertaker for the title. It doesn't matter who won, all that matters is both men were portrayed as strong and able to match up against each other. It wasn't some one-sided massacre.

Later, Vince Mcmahon and Hulk Hogan feud and have a match at WM 19. This is approximately 10 months or so after Hogan and Undertaker fought. In this match, Vince is portrayed as equal to Hogan. He is in control of the match for most of it and is able to overpower Hogan on several occasions during the match.

Even later, Mcmahon and Undertaker feud at SS 03. This is approximately 6 months after WM 19 and 18 months after Hogan and Taker fought. But in this match, Vince is totally unable to stand against Taker. Taker massacres Vince and beats his rear end the whole match. The first punch busts Vince open and he bleeds all over the place. Vince has no chance against Taker

So how the gently caress does the relationship between these three men make any sense? Taker and Hogan are equal, Vince and Hogan are equal, but Taker is miles ahead of Vince??? I know wrestling is fake and I shouldn't get annoyed but this has bothered the piss outta me for a while. And now I'm done

This sort of lack of internal logic is both endemic to wrestling, and annoying primarily to smarks.

Yes, to an extent looking at it like that is taking it too seriously, but on the other hand, there needs to be some kind of internal continuity.

Perhaps 'Taker is the true holder of Vince's soul?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
hahaha in a forum I used to frequent there was a guy who would always freak out over Sweet Chin Music, saying how it shouldn't be a finisher now because Shawn used it when he was in The Rockers and it didn't knock people out. Whatever, it always seemed like acceptable kayfabe to just say that he "perfected the move over the years" or something along those lines.

Similarly I guess you could just say that Hogan was "having an off night" at Wrestlemania XIX if you really wanna rationalize it.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Or the Undertaker endued a sense of horrifying terror into Vince.

Hulk, being so mighty, would not feel that same terror, but doesn't cause enough of it to severely weaken Vince.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

ChikoDemono posted:

Or the Undertaker endued a sense of horrifying terror into Vince.

Hulk, being so mighty, would not feel that same terror, but doesn't cause enough of it to severely weaken Vince.

My long journey for an answer is at last ended. Truly, this reasoning is without flaws.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

dusty udder smoker posted:

The Can-Am connection comes to mind.

Also The Killer Bees
The Bolsheviks
The New Dream Team
Rhythm & Blues
Bushwackers/Sheepherders
The Rougeaus (Had a title win, but it was overturned)
King Kong Bundy & Big John Studd
Terry Funk & Dory Funk Jr
Dory Funk Jr & Jimmy Jack Funk
Bob Orton & Don Muraco
The Islanders
The New Foundation
High Energy
The Orient Express
Power & Glory
The Young Stallions

Those are just a few teams from the 80's/early 90's that never held WWF gold.

Curtis of Nigeria
Jan 9, 2009
The most extreme and blatant abuse of effectiveness is when an all-powerful face becomes a heel and can no longer defend himself.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Curtis of Nigeria posted:

The most extreme and blatant abuse of effectiveness is when an all-powerful face becomes a heel and can no longer defend himself.

And it happens every. loving. Time.

Case in point: Batista. Who ran away from Kane. God dammit.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
Oh, and what happened to the ridiuclous over the top amazing phenomenon that was wrestlicious? Will it ever see the light of day?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That is an excellent question. I always wanted to watch a lotto winner blow all his money on something worthless before he inevitably kills himself.

Poor kid.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

That is an excellent question. I always wanted to watch a lotto winner blow all his money on something worthless before he inevitably kills himself.

Poor kid.

Look, the early ninties cartoon era is over, and some bastard lost a lot of money in giving us the oppurtunity to see Daffney as a vampire versus an ice princess.

Oh hey, a second trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffcNrkNehFw appearance by the owner at 2:13.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Wrestlicious actually could make money. I was listening to Meltzer talk about GLOW A while back, and appearently it did well enough on TV to turn a profit. However, they went on the road and lost their rear end, killing the promotion. Kinda reminds me of TNA, there's no way their live events can earn significant money but the TV deals make them money. All Wrestlicious needs is a distributor to syndicate them and to keep costs down, which shouldn't have been hard with indy wrestlers. Unless the dude was a dumb money mark, which he probably was.

It seriously pisses me off though. The dude won $17m and is gonna blow it. If I won half that I'd buy a house and put 50-75% in long-term investments. Hell, you can get $100k interest off $10m and live a comfortable life.

WeaselWeaz fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 19, 2009

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

oldpainless posted:

So how the gently caress does the relationship between these three men make any sense? Taker and Hogan are equal, Vince and Hogan are equal, but Taker is miles ahead of Vince???

Obviously, Hollywood Hogan is much more powerful than Hulk Hogan.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

joshtothemaxx posted:

This is an example of what's bothering me about the current deal with Sheamus. Dude loses to Goldust, then he can knock out John Cena multiple times? what

There was a phenomenon in the late 80s/early 90s where a tag team would lose cleanly to the Bushwhackers on TV and then win the tag titles the next week or so. It happened several times.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Does CM Punk still own the rights to his name, or did he sign it away to the WWE when he signed?

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Meat Recital posted:

Does CM Punk still own the rights to his name, or did he sign it away to the WWE when he signed?
It's now property of the WWE.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Atticus Finch posted:

I'm almost entirely positive I have heard the opposite.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I'm almost entirely positive I have heard the opposite.
I thought someone looked up the rights and it was in the WWE's name? Oh well!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Meat Recital posted:

He has signed them away for merchandise while he is under contract, but he retains ownership of the name.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Atticus Finch posted:

My understanding is that according to the language of the contract, this is basically true, but a serious precedent has been set in court for years and years that any gimmick or name you invent before coming to a fed is yours forever.

My guess is that it works the way we talked about Kanyon's worked when he misunderstood the language in his TNA contract. CMPunk can keep his gimmick and name when he leaves, but WWE can use the name in perpetuity for the purpose of likeness rights for home video appearances, action figures, and video games.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Atticus Finch posted:

You are 100% wrong.

LividLiquid posted:

CMPunk can keep his gimmick and name when he leaves, but WWE can use the name in perpetuity for the purpose of likeness rights for home video appearances, action figures, and video games.

Pretty much this. Raven, Mike Sanders, and some other guys' contracts were made public when they sued WWE. It basically stated that the talent owned any names they used before signing with WWE. WWE has the right to use their name and gimmick in perpetuity when marketing anything produced while they worked for WWE, although they also have to pay royalties. In the case of Raven, it specifically listed what names he owned (Scott Levy, Raven, Scotty the Body) and what names WWE owned (Scotty Flamingo, Johnny Polo).

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

dudleys.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

dudleys.

ECW owned the name, didn't they? Or Heyman or some such thing, and the rights were sold to WWE and the Dudleys didn't find out until they were informed they couldn't use the name post WWE?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

dudleys.

Here we go again...

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

dudleys.

dudleyz

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

ECW owned the name, didn't they? Or Heyman or some such thing, and the rights were sold to WWE and the Dudleys didn't find out until they were informed they couldn't use the name post WWE?

Right. Heyman definitely owned the Dudley trademark. They allegedly had a gentlemen's agreement with Heyman to use the Dudley name after they left, but it was still Heyman/ECW's property when Vince bought all the ECW poo poo. Unsurprisingly, Vince was not inclined to honor any agreements Heyman might have made about what was now Vince's intellectual property.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The only question left unanswered as to gimmick stuff is why Nash still gets to call himself "Big Sexy", Steiner gets to call himself "Genetic Freak", and Daffney gets to call herself Daffney, as all three names were created under WCW, which WWE now owns.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

The only question left unanswered as to gimmick stuff is why Nash still gets to call himself "Big Sexy", Steiner gets to call himself "Genetic Freak", and Daffney gets to call herself Daffney, as all three names were created under WCW, which WWE now owns.

Maybe they trademarked those names/nicknames.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

KungFu Grip posted:

Maybe they trademarked those names/nicknames.

Nicknames might be easier to get away with, and I'd be amazed if WWE cares about daffney.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Nash may either have had a more lax contract on things like that.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

thats another thing: what are some notable tag teams that never held the tag titles in WWE/WCW?

Jesse and Festus and Moore Wang both seriously deserved title runs but this was happening when Miz and Morrison were running roughshod on the Smackdown tag division.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

CM Junk posted:

Jesse and Festus and Moore Wang both seriously deserved title runs but this was happening when Miz and Morrison were running roughshod on the Smackdown tag division.

Yes, but now we've got Wang Slam and surely they will dominate the division.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
I think Master Wang is a better team name

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

WCW is it's own retarded ball of wax. My guess is that for Steiner and Nash they had contracts which allowed them to own their nicknames and catchphrases. If not, the characters of Kevin Nash and Scott Steiner are owned by those guys, since it's their real names and personalities, which may be how they get around it. Plus WWE probably isn't interested in fighting that battle.

For Daffney, I wouldn't be shocked if WCW never copyrighted her name and character. Remember, the company was completely mismanaged and contracts were insanely weighted towards the talent. They couldn't even suspend anyone without pay, which pretty well accepted as a horrible idea so of course TNA did the same thing.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

My understanding is that the company doesn't have to copyright anything. The way it works at most jobs is that anything you come up with or invent while under contract is the intellectual property of your employer whether they trademark it or not.

For instance, Christian trademarked the Captain Charisma name just before leaving for TNA, so he owned it for a bit there. He wasn't allowed to use it, however, as he came up with it while under contract to WWE.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

thats another thing: what are some notable tag teams that never held the tag titles in WWE/WCW?

Serious post:

It pisses me off how they're constantly oh-so-close to the titles.

Edit: not counting day long house show reigns.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

LividLiquid posted:

My understanding is that the company doesn't have to copyright anything. The way it works at most jobs is that anything you come up with or invent while under contract is the intellectual property of your employer whether they trademark it or not.

For instance, Christian trademarked the Captain Charisma name just before leaving for TNA, so he owned it for a bit there. He wasn't allowed to use it, however, as he came up with it while under contract to WWE.

Nah thats not really how it works, it depends on what kind of a contract you have with a company, stuff like that has to be explicitly written down. They are still fighting copyright cases in other industries over work people did while under specific contracts from 60 years ago, also, considering WWE talent isn't even contractually considered employed by the WWE, it opens another entire can of worms.

My guess is, if someone wanted to fight a WWE copyright claim they would have a number of ways to attack it, and we won't really know how valid WWE's claims are until someone takes them to court over things. Most wrestlers don't have the kind of resources necessary to argue something like that.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The A-Team Van posted:

Serious post:

It pisses me off how they're constantly oh-so-close to the titles.

Edit: not counting day long house show reigns.

they never had a house show tag title reign

vvvvvvvvv ah okay, misunderstood you. vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 20, 2009

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

they never had a house show tag title reign

They're a notable tag team that has never held the belts, even during house shows. So, answers your question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
also Team 3D weren't the only Dudleys so there's that.