Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike McC
Oct 9, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

It's the last gasp of a man who knows he's going bald but isn't yet ready to face up to the fact.

I know because that was me ten years ago. With the exact same hairstyle. And many different hats - which you may have noticed Adam has also started sporting at every opportunity.

Yet, weirdly, Adam has shaved his head before on the show. I don't know why he's getting all sensitive about it know.

Women's Rights? posted:

Alton Brown went through the same thing, exact same hair style too, but he's finally admitted it and his hair looks MUCH better now that he's keeping it shorter even if he is balding.
Yeah, it's pretty much the last step before submitting and accepting fate, or succumbing to the comb-over.

Women's Rights? posted:

I'm really sick of the build team being nothing but "We saw this in a movie once is it possible!?" when 99% of the time the answer is "No and you're dumb for thinking it is"
And they get so hyper about it too. I mean, it's really kind of hard to believe that Tori and Grant are only 3 years younger than Adam. I mean, Adam gets a hyper geekiness, but he also keeps it better reigned in AND is counterbalanced by Jamie's stoicalness.

Really, the build team really need that stoic foil with them to cut the saccharine hyper geekiness the exude.

Also, is it just me, or is the build team getting lazier with their myths, too? I mean, let's consider the night driving one. One of the things they used to bust the part using the night vision goggles was that Tori's depth perception was comprimised and he kept running into things, therefore it couldn't be done. Meanwhile, i was thinking to a girl I know who is completely blind in one eye, and is able to drive fine. Seriously, I think if people trained to drive in those conditions, they would be able to do it rather well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Mike McC posted:

And they get so hyper about it too. I mean, it's really kind of hard to believe that Tori and Grant are only 3 years younger than Adam. I mean, Adam gets a hyper geekiness, but he also keeps it better reigned in AND is counterbalanced by Jamie's stoicalness.

Really, the build team really need that stoic foil with them to cut the saccharine hyper geekiness the exude.
This has increased every season. I'm 99% sure the producers tell them to freak the gently caress out over every little thing to "keep the excitement level high".

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

WhiteHowler posted:

This has increased every season. I'm 99% sure the producers tell them to freak the gently caress out over every little thing to "keep the excitement level high".

HOLKY poo poo A TOY BUS FALLS WHEN YOU LAUNCH IT OFF A FLAT SURFACE :woop:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mike McC posted:

Meanwhile, i was thinking to a girl I know who is completely blind in one eye, and is able to drive fine. Seriously, I think if people trained to drive in those conditions, they would be able to do it rather well.

I think it has to do with the high contrast of the image you get from them or something like that.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Karthillion posted:

This makes me unreasonably sad. Poor Adam is losing his hair.

As someone who's balding faster than Bruce Willis: Dear Adam, shave it or rock that poo poo proudly. Covering it up ALWAYS makes you look sad.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
You say that even though Jamie's been a cueball the entire run of the show and longer. He was clever to cultivate his beret-based image.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

hall n oates mom posted:

You say that even though Jamie's been a cueball the entire run of the show and longer. He was clever to cultivate his beret-based image.

He's 800 years old and is one of 50 guys who can pull off a beret. He doesn't need a bald men's support group.

Adam does. It's time to let it go, champ.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Am I the only one who doesn't hate the build team? I mean, I get that they can be a bit overly excitable at times, but they do good work.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Neito posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't hate the build team? I mean, I get that they can be a bit overly excitable at times, but they do good work.

I like the build team, but I don't like how overly excited they get, and it seems like in general, they test stuff that a textbook could give you an answer to in a few minutes. But I guess that's part of the show, Adam and Jamie test stuff that might be more complicated, and the build team is like a college physics class doing a presentation to a grade school: keep it simple, make it flashy, and be excited all the time so others think they should be excited to keep everyones interests. They just forgot that adults are watching this show.

However all of that is redeemed for this entire season just because of meatman.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

quote:

Meanwhile, i was thinking to a girl I know who is completely blind in one eye, and is able to drive fine. Seriously, I think if people trained to drive in those conditions, they would be able to do it rather well.

I have no depth perception and have driven as such for years. I do OK, but it is a handicap. If you've been used to driving with two eyes and full depth perception and you suddenly get that one-eyed night vision goggle stuff thrown at you, it can definitely affect your sense of vision and perception. It's a legitimate point.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Neito posted:

I've liked the show since its start and I'm a sucker for redheads so no, don't really hate the build team. Sometimes they even happen to get the better myth(bifurcating the car with a rocket was loving awesome) so I try to just keep an open mind. The rage over their reactions is pretty ridiculous and overblown, especially since some here seem to not expect to see it every time they watch.

Mike McC
Oct 9, 2009

Neito posted:

I don't hate them, it's just they Can be rather annoying at times. Especially if there's explosions/fire involved. I thought they were really enjoyable in the "Beer and Liquor, Never Sicker" myth.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
If you value your sanity, for the love of god don't go to the Dirty Jobs forum on Discovery.com. Christ I have never seen so many terrifying middle aged women completely obsessed with a dude in my existence.

Also ditto to Adam's hair. He really does need to give up the ghost.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I like this stand-in girl a lot more than Kari.

This myth is still retarded though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
For some reason I'm really impressed that Tory can drive an excavator.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Why are they moving Mythbusters to Monday nights with only two episodes left in the season? They've been on Wednesdays for a long time now, I don't think always in the history of the show, but lately that's always been their day :(

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Hey, on MythBusters, wasn't that a Lamborghini Countach from the 80s? I think that would make it mid-engined and therefore more balanced to actually have skipped in the movie scene. :pseudo:

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Protip posted:

Why are they moving Mythbusters to Monday nights with only two episodes left in the season? They've been on Wednesdays for a long time now, I don't think always in the history of the show, but lately that's always been their day :(

I can only guess that it's prep for next season so they want to prime the pump by closing out with two episodes while network TV offers nothing. Still a head scratcher at first blush though.

IRQ posted:

This myth is still retarded though.

Color me impressed with their final result. I figured the first one was going to end up like that but their final was quite impressive.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Pzykotic posted:

Hey, on MythBusters, wasn't that a Lamborghini Countach from the 80s? I think that would make it mid-engined and therefore more balanced to actually have skipped in the movie scene. :pseudo:

They used Pontiac Fieros in the myth which have rear-mounted engines. If they had the time, I bet Jessi could have built a comparable platform to the Countach used in the movie.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Philip J Fry posted:

They used Pontiac Fieros in the myth which have rear-mounted engines. If they had the time, I bet Jessi could have built a comparable platform to the Countach used in the movie.

This has nothing to do with anything but your avatar just sent me straight back into Windows 3.1 days. Hahaha.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Protip posted:

Because what happens with Mythbusters (and Adam said this during an interview with the Skeptics Guide to the Universe I'm pretty sure, so I don't think I'm making this up) is that the show is so stupid popular that whatever's before and after it gets a huge boost from people too lazy to change the channel. So I would suspect their monday lineup is a bit weak.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

RE: the Build team.

I never understood the hatred, and if it were me in that same position, I'd probably be just as excited and pumped. Particularly because of what you don't see - the hours and hours and HOURS of them meticulously preparing and running the experiments. Finally getting a result and having all that work be complete AND having been worth it would be such a relief.

From what I've read, the producers actually try to tell the build team to tone down their excitement. So it's not artificial (like the intro segments.)

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
Did anyone see the Dirty Jobs from Tuesday with the hole in the cow? I thought the firework making was dirty and interesting enough (especially with the heavy sarcasm from Mike and the firework guy), but a cow with a loving hole in it was insane. I was absolutely intrigued and mortified at the same time.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

ashpanash posted:

I never understood the hatred, and if it were me in that same position, I'd probably be just as excited and pumped. Particularly because of what you don't see - the hours and hours and HOURS of them meticulously preparing and running the experiments. Finally getting a result and having all that work be complete AND having been worth it would be such a relief.

From what I've read, the producers actually try to tell the build team to tone down their excitement. So it's not artificial (like the intro segments.)

I completely agree. And even if it were the other way around, with the producers telling them to ham things up, I would still gladly do it because dammit I am getting paid to blow poo poo up on TV.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Did anyone see the Dirty Jobs from Tuesday with the hole in the cow? I thought the firework making was dirty and interesting enough (especially with the heavy sarcasm from Mike and the firework guy), but a cow with a loving hole in it was insane. I was absolutely intrigued and mortified at the same time.

I'm surprised it hasn't died of infection yet, I think the owner said it was going on six years of having that port hole put in there. Made me think of the stroyent processing poo poo from quake 4.

Tzar
Jun 9, 2005

Dammit DeeDee, you've failed me for the last time!

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

I love that episode, especially how much the fireworks guy really hates his job, but still keeps at it because it's lucrative. Usually the show highlights people happy doing what would appear to be a terrible job, and that's fun to watch, but the contrast with that guy was absolutely perfect.
At least he still had a sense of humor :unsmith:

Chef Tony
Jun 13, 2005

The Miracle Blade will stay sharp the first time, the fourth time, everytime!
Mike Rowe needs to release a DVD where he's sitting by a fireplace reading Christmas stories with his sexy man voice. I could fall asleep to that. Not gay.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Chef Tony posted:

Mike Rowe needs to release a DVD where he's sitting by a fireplace reading Christmas stories with his sexy man voice. I could fall asleep to that. Not gay.

I'd listen to Mike Rowe read the phone book, his voice is so goddamn cool. If you ever hear him on radio shows, he comes across like such a cool guy.

I'm somewhat surprised that the ad wizards at Discovery haven't had him help out with the dirty job of Mythbusting yet.

sildenafil
Dec 17, 2004

They're just jealous.

TL posted:

I'm somewhat surprised that the ad wizards at Discovery haven't had him help out with the dirty job of Mythbusting yet.

If they do that, it means one or both shows have jumped the shark and are on their way out.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

sildenafil posted:

If they do that, it means one or both shows have jumped the shark and are on their way out.

So what you're saying is Mike Rowe should have been a guest on every Discovery show that isn't MythBusters or Deadliest Catch.

Because each one of them could have used a little boost on their way out the door.

sildenafil
Dec 17, 2004

They're just jealous.

Tony Danza Claus posted:

So what you're saying is Mike Rowe should have been a guest on every Discovery show that isn't MythBusters or Deadliest Catch.

Because each one of them could have used a little boost on their way out the door.

Pretty much, because:

TL posted:

I'd listen to Mike Rowe read the phone book

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

I always mix this up: was it Mike who was the opera singer, or the guy from Cash Cab?

sildenafil
Dec 17, 2004

They're just jealous.
It's Mike.

Wikipedia posted:

Mike Rowe surprisingly has a background of a Baltimore Opera singer.[11]

The citation goes to his tv.com bio.

Niklas Kronwall 2.0
May 15, 2009

sildenafil posted:

It's Mike.

The citation goes to his tv.com bio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUJWpIj_4ps

Enjoy!

Bilal X
Aug 20, 2007

ashpanash posted:

It's just kind of weird how they act and look like college kids despite being middle-aged, Tory looks like a super-senior frat bro but he's almost 40 :psyduck:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Bilal X posted:

It's just kind of weird how they act and look like college kids despite being middle-aged, Tory looks like a super-senior frat bro but he's almost 40 :psyduck:

That's insane.

Also, the new chick is way cuter than Kari. And she seems useful. And isn't a spaz.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Tony Danza Claus posted:

That's insane.

Also, the new chick is way cuter than Kari. And she seems useful. And isn't a spaz.

I don't really feel like Kari is a spaz, but I definitely find Jessie really likable. Maybe she will end up like Kari after the same amount of time. It's possible. Jessie is like a cuter Scottie, quite frankly.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
The Monday shows on the 28th and the 4th of next year are not permanent moves. Its just 2 special showings for whatever reason.

ToastyPotato posted:

I don't really feel like Kari is a spaz, but I definitely find Jessie really likable. Maybe she will end up like Kari after the same amount of time. It's possible. Jessie is like a cuter Scottie, quite frankly.

Pretty much agree with all of this right here.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Jessi is completely freaking adorable. I want to reach through the TV and give her a big hug whenever she's on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike McC
Oct 9, 2009

If you guys haven't, go and search YouTube for old clips of QVC when Mike Rowe was a personality/salesman on there.

• Locked thread