Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

There's a world of difference between operating equipment and providing a creative product with long-term revenue potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

pwn posted:

Thank you for calling me stupid.

You are stupid.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

pwn posted:

Dorkroom: Do you think you're entitled to be paid every time someone makes money off your work? If so, why? Sub-question: Would you find it fair to send the maker of your camera a portion of the profits every time you make money with it?

Every time you license a work for use you are creating value in that instance for your client, and as the creator of that work you are entitled to a piece of that under your terms.

When I work in some production aspect (whether photo assistant or digital tech or whatever) I'm being paid for my time and labor, not my creative input. I don't have any stake in the final image or it's creation so it would be silly for me to be paid royalties for it. Boom operators are the same way.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

trueblue posted:

Thanks for that link, all 3 parts in that series are really just superb.

I feel bad for that photographer in #20 (part 1), especially after finding this gallery of his work and seeing that he's an absolutely amazing photojournalist. Pretty hardcore taking photos on his emergency stretcher though.
Amazing photos, but loving hell does it make me glad I don't know live in Pakistan. How utterly depressing.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

brad industry posted:

Every time you license a work for use you are creating value in that instance for your client, and as the creator of that work you are entitled to a piece of that under your terms.

When I work in some production aspect (whether photo assistant or digital tech or whatever) I'm being paid for my time and labor, not my creative input. I don't have any stake in the final image or it's creation so it would be silly for me to be paid royalties for it. Boom operators are the same way.
Yeah that's pretty much it. Thanks for being patient with me.

pwn fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 17, 2009

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Twenties Superstar posted:

You are stupid.

This gave me a good laugh.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Kind of a random question, but is a point of discussion among my friends.

Let's say I have my camera and I take a bunch of pictures, I hand my camera to my friend while I go to the bathroom or something, and he takes a couple pictures, and then hands me the camera back.

Who "owns" the pictures he took with my camera? This isn't any sort of legal dispute and is more hypothetical than real, but we were just curious.

edit: neither party is making money for being there or anything.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
He would own the images he took.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

dunkman posted:

Kind of a random question, but is a point of discussion among my friends.

Let's say I have my camera and I take a bunch of pictures, I hand my camera to my friend while I go to the bathroom or something, and he takes a couple pictures, and then hands me the camera back.

Who "owns" the pictures he took with my camera? This isn't any sort of legal dispute and is more hypothetical than real, but we were just curious.

edit: neither party is making money for being there or anything.

Not as simple as brad makes it out to be, i'm afraid. He would own the images to a degree, but he would have not right to get the electrons, and I don't think he could demand you produce the card, or copy the picture, or not delete it if you wanted to. He could control what you did with the images, but not necessarily the electrons, if you see the difference. You couldn't publish or use the photo, but you could destroy the card or delete the image. i think.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

brad industry posted:

He would own the images he took.

Isn't there a thing in regards to second shooters and assistants where the primary photographer owns the copyright? Is that built into the contract the assistant signs?

I remember something to do with the Olympics and some assistant getting credit for a shot that the primary shooter had the rights to, and it was seen as a nice gesture by the main shooter.

Brozekiel
Jul 20, 2007
It would start to get a little funny if your pictures, taken by the assistant, had you visible somewhere in them.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

Isn't there a thing in regards to second shooters and assistants where the primary photographer owns the copyright? Is that built into the contract the assistant signs?

I remember something to do with the Olympics and some assistant getting credit for a shot that the primary shooter had the rights to, and it was seen as a nice gesture by the main shooter.

In these situations the second shooter/assistant signs a 'work for hire' contract.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

brad industry posted:

In these situations the second shooter/assistant signs a 'work for hire' contract.

Yeah but there's no contract since it's just me going "hey hold this while I drain the lizard."

But what you guys say makes sense, I can't publish the pics as my own (since they're not mine) but he can't make me give them to him.

Not that this is a problem or anything, just curious.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I should start demanding credit for all the pictures I take with friend's point and shoots when I'm out at a bar.

It's kind of awful how few people understand photographer's rights. My friend's dorm had some kind of thing were people could submit photos of the dorm and residents to be displayed and the email he received about it had this phrase - "So, please inform the photographers that they need to agree to giving up the so called copyright of the photo"

These images were also going to be sold as well.

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

Medium format vs. 35mm vs. Digital

"My.. my megapixels.."
:negative:

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

Tincans posted:

Medium format vs. 35mm vs. Digital

"My.. my megapixels.."
:negative:
That article is from 2002, and the followups from 2003. Just wanted to point that out before I keep reading.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

dunkman posted:

Yeah but there's no contract since it's just me going "hey hold this while I drain the lizard."

But what you guys say makes sense, I can't publish the pics as my own (since they're not mine) but he can't make me give them to him.

Not that this is a problem or anything, just curious.

I'm not sure about elsewhere, but in New Zealand, on top of this, (unless specified otherwise via contract etc) the copyright is held by the person/people in the photo. So if someone took a photo of you, they couldn't sell it or distribute it without your permission.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."
Sometime I just can't tell what's serious and what isn't on the internet :smith: http://www.matt-probert.co.uk/samples.htm

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
i like his image enhancement section. http://www.matt-probert.co.uk/de.htm ive definitely seen worse, and if he gets paid for it and makes a living doing it. i wanna know his secret.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Cyberbob posted:

I'm not sure about elsewhere, but in New Zealand, on top of this, (unless specified otherwise via contract etc) the copyright is held by the person/people in the photo. So if someone took a photo of you, they couldn't sell it or distribute it without your permission.

I dunno, I don't think it could work quite like that. It would make it pretty much impossible for news photographers/photojournalists to work: imagine taking a picture of a street in Auckland and having to run around getting everyone to sign a waiver so your editor could run it on page 5 of the business section.

In the United States (I think the UK is similar?) you can take a picture of someone on the street and sell it for fine art/editorial uses, IIRC it's only commercial/advertising stuff that requires a model release.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Cyberbob posted:

This would be so ridiculously impractical and bizarre in the real world I can't believe this actually existed, so I googled it and it looks like New Zealand has the same copyright laws as every other first world country:

http://www.copyright.org.nz/viewInfosheet.php?sheet=339

The only difference I can see between US law and NZ is that people commissioning works default to owning the copyright. Canada has the same law, but in actual real-world practice contracts are written to respect the creator of the work so this never actually happens. I'm sure it's the same in NZ.

I think you may be confusing model releases and copyright which aren't really related at all.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Ok, I'm breaking the point of this thread and asking for advice:

I'm out of school now and with the extra time I'd like to be studying/working on my photography, something I've been putting off doing for a long time. I looked in to my old university's Continuing Ed photo classes and they don't look particularly promising (neither did their BFA program for that matter, which is why I never took any photo classes as an undergrad). The library, on the other hand, has a really nice selection of great books. Can anyone point me towards a good syllabus, reading list, or curriculum in photography, like a proper degree program would have? I know this sounds broad as hell, but I'd like to fill in the gaps of the hodgepodge collection of knowledge I've built up over the years.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
http://www.aphotostudent.com

He posted his MFA reading list and keeps updating with the articles/books they're reading and discussing. A lot of the shorter articles are online for free. I read a lot of the same stuff when I was in school and I've picked up a lot of others from his recommendations that I hadn't and they've all been really good.

edit: here's the reading list, with links
http://www.aphotostudent.com/photo-readings/

Other than that I would either take some art history classes or at least pick up some overview of western art books and from there go to photo history (which is obviously short and easy to put into context once you are familiar with the broader background).

brad industry fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 18, 2009

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

brad industry posted:

http://www.aphotostudent.com

He posted his MFA reading list and keeps updating with the articles/books they're reading and discussing. A lot of the shorter articles are online for free. I read a lot of the same stuff when I was in school and I've picked up a lot of others from his recommendations that I hadn't and they've all been really good.

edit: here's the reading list, with links
http://www.aphotostudent.com/photo-readings/

Other than that I would either take some art history classes or at least pick up some overview of western art books and from there go to photo history (which is obviously short and easy to put into context once you are familiar with the broader background).

Thanks brad, that is perfect!

They actually do offer a "History of Photography" class in the spring, but given the wealth of books in the library on the subject I'm not sure it'd be worth it to take the class. This afternoon I went through two on the history of Japanese photography, very good but I see what you mean about needing an art history/general photography history background first.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That's a great list brad, thanks.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

wickles posted:

Sometime I just can't tell what's serious and what isn't on the internet :smith: http://www.matt-probert.co.uk/samples.htm

How exactly is he claiming copyright on this image?

http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com...ther%201927.htm

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

i like his image enhancement section. http://www.matt-probert.co.uk/de.htm ive definitely seen worse, and if he gets paid for it and makes a living doing it. i wanna know his secret.
There's a guy near me who claims to be professional, and "specializes" in photoshop fake tilt-shift effects with Ken Rockwell saturation boosts. I'm not sure who pays him, I can't imagine there's a huge market for this.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

squidflakes posted:

How exactly is he claiming copyright on this image?

http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com...ther%201927.htm

It's unlikely that he has it, but in the case of old photos/etc that are in public domain, doing extensive restoration/processing work on them results in a new copyrighted work. At my job we do a lot of this, although it's basically given away for free for educational use anyways.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Pompous Rhombus posted:

It's unlikely that he has it, but in the case of old photos/etc that are in public domain, doing extensive restoration/processing work on them results in a new copyrighted work. At my job we do a lot of this, although it's basically given away for free for educational use anyways.

I guess that makes sense, though it looks like he photographed a picture from a newspaper or encyclopedia. I doubt that qualifies as "extensive restoration."

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Street fashion photography in Helsinki. Posed full body shots.
http://www.hel-looks.com/index.php

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Street fashion photography in Helsinki. Posed full body shots.
http://www.hel-looks.com/index.php

Welcome to Finland, where the cell phones are top of the line but fashion is stuck in the 80s.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

squidflakes posted:

Welcome to Finland, where the cell phones are top of the line but fashion is stuck in the 80s.

theres kinda an 80s revival on at the moment. it was ironic but then hipsters starting copying each other and we have what you see today

[edit] boss

i kinda want those boots :sweatdrop:

unixbeard fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 19, 2009

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swqFA9Mvq5M

10 minute video on kite photography. It's a good watch, the guy's enthusiasm is really infectious :3: If nothing else, check out the simple yet ingenious version for a disposable camera at 5:25.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

squidflakes posted:

And this is Helsinki, the capital. The rest of the country has yet to realize the 50s have ended. v:shobon:v

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Looking up a Nikkor P-C 105mm lens for another thread here, I found this interesting Flickr thread.

Defecting to Nine
Sep 16, 2008
So anyone have any tips on moving an image library from Aperture to Extensis Portfolio?

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swqFA9Mvq5M

10 minute video on kite photography. It's a good watch, the guy's enthusiasm is really infectious :3: If nothing else, check out the simple yet ingenious version for a disposable camera at 5:25.

Great video. Thanks for sharing this.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Defecting to Nine posted:

So anyone have any tips on moving an image library from Aperture to Extensis Portfolio?

One of the reasons I refuse to use Aperture is it locks up your image library in a proprietary format.

Defecting to Nine
Sep 16, 2008

brad industry posted:

One of the reasons I refuse to use Aperture is it locks up your image library in a proprietary format.

Which is exactly the reason I'm switching. After working at a place that had a 55k+ item library in Portfolio, I now swear by it, and want to get older images in it.

e: It's nice that it's possible to go 'Show package Contents' and drag everything out, rather than everything being stuck in one file, but it's still annoying as all gently caress.

Defecting to Nine fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 20, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Can't you set Aperture to not manage your library? I know some people use Aperture that way and have access to the folders and what not where the files are located. I think it's kind of like how you can set iTunes to manage your files and put them in it's file system or just tell the program where your files are on disk.