Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

That's really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious Business
Jun 22, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

Derekman posted:

I'm not voting, but this one was my personal fav

I liked this one:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I have a real office I have a real office gently caress my cube yaaaaay.

(Still have the cube, moving between our new deployment warehouse and corporate on an as-needed basis.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah, when I see setups with amazing cable management with zipties and such I just think about what a nightmare it must be when you have to change something.

This is why I stopped doing amazing cable management.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Zip ties are for newbies, velcro strips is the way to go.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

This is why I stopped doing amazing cable management.

I leave my mouse and keyboard un-attached to any cable tie madness but I have had in the past a nightmare when It came to unhooking my speakers.

I switched just to having a couple of cable ties and a bif of string holding it up out of sight from under the desk, now it's pretty much effortless to change anything.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

IsaacNewton posted:

Word. I use mostly a combination of cable lacing and velcro ties. Zip tiles are only used in the could of places were poo poo gets heavy and should pretty much never move. Velcro ties make it a snap to get to things, and the time it takes to take them on and off is nothing compared to the time it takes to untangle beastly cable nests.

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

According to The Oxford English Dictionary, the word "snapshot" was originally a hunting term.
This is the best way to go for cable management. Big roll of velcro, cut it to fit, reusable, etc.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

illamint posted:

This is the best way to go for cable management. Big roll of velcro, cut it to fit, reusable, etc.

I love the technical details:

Amazon.com posted:

The fun and easy way to connect your instrument to your computer

1/4 TS plug to USB Type A

Plug and play with no driver required

Status LED indicates secure connection and recording status

Compatible with most audio software

evale
Dec 20, 2009
I haven't looked back since I used gaffer tape to tie my cables together and to the desk. It was meant to be a quick fix, but don't really see a reason to upgrade to cable ties or Velcro.

evale fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 21, 2009

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Gaffers tape is great if you're going to be moving it, but if you leave it on for too long, the adhesive makes everything all nasty and sticky, same as duct tape. Residue-free my rear end.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

evale posted:

I haven't looked back since I used gaffer tape to tie my cables together and to the desk. It was meant to be a quick fix, but don't really see a reason to upgrade to cable ties or Velcro.

Just hope wherever the cables are doesn't get too hot. Even though gaffer's tape is pretty reliable for not leaving residue, once it gets heated up that all goes out the window.

e: what he said

evale
Dec 20, 2009

Bucket Joneses posted:

Just hope wherever the cables are doesn't get too hot. Even though gaffer's tape is pretty reliable for not leaving residue, once it gets heated up that all goes out the window.

e: what he said

Well, sheeeeeeet.

I checked and couldn't find any residue at all. And it peeled off pretty easy too. Moving out in a month, so might get some cable ties then.

balgaines
Jan 22, 2001

Time to get serious, people.
Updated quite a bit, figured it was time for some new pics.

Don't worry, the wall heater isn't hooked up anymore, hasn't been for at least thirty years.

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

balgaines posted:

Don't worry, the wall heater isn't hooked up anymore, hasn't been for at least thirty years.

Was moments away from scolding you for that.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Serious Business posted:

I liked this one:

My first thought was "Deus Ex screenshot? :confused:"

balgaines posted:

This looks really cozy, though the deer needs a hat or something.

balgaines
Jan 22, 2001

Time to get serious, people.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This looks really cozy, though the deer needs a hat or something.

Well, he does have antlers, they just didn't make it into the picture.

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

Yes I paid $30 for an aluminum mousepad because that's how much of a massive Apple douche I am.

USB on the right side leads to a little DAC into the amp here, opposite the desk.

Serious Business posted:

I liked this one:

Haha, posters. :smug:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

IsaacNewton posted:

Yes, they make it easier, but it's still more trouble than I'm willing to put up with.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

Dogcow posted:

Jealous of the Bowie album. How does it sound on vinyl?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Stutes posted:

Jealous of the Bowie album. How does it sound on vinyl?

I'm going to guess that it sounds like David Bowie.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Thermopyle posted:

Yes, they make it easier, but it's still more trouble than I'm willing to put up with.
I haven't found velcroes to be as convenient as they initially seem either. Part of the problem is that I've used precut velcro ties which are usually too long for most needs and I end up tying them several rounds around the cables. If you have wire cutters and extra cable ties at hand's reach then they are almost more convenient. I think reusable cable ties could be better option, but I haven't really found them anywhere.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Sniep posted:

The audiophile answer would be: "Warmer".

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Ema Nymton posted:

Ema Nymton posted:

The computer is also the center of attention in my living area.

My old TV broke, so I got a 32-in. Samsung LN32A330, which is also a new monitor. I'll get a longer cable for it soon. And it matches my Samsung monitor too.

I found out a few weeks ago that the subwoofer on my computer's speakers still worked even when I had headphones on. I gave them away the next day. So I moved the old stereo receiver and its huge Bose speakers I got from my brother to the computer and moved the shelves to the other wall. They sound good even if they are old.
But I'm still living like poo poo.

Trapdoor
Jun 7, 2005
The one and only.

Dogcow posted:

Haha, tiny rear end window. :smug:

Postal
Aug 9, 2003

Don't make me go postal!

Dogcow posted:

I'll keep my snow-capped mountains, thank you.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Sniep posted:

With a 10% "brown noise" filter applied.

sotorious
Dec 23, 2009
Some of you guys have some mcnasty setups

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/sotorious2000/?action=view&current=DSC01773.jpg&newest=1

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/sotorious2000/?action=view&current=DSC01775.jpg&newest=1

evale
Dec 20, 2009
Here's my desktop.

Inspiron 1525, around 2 years old. Fairly new Logitech 2.1 speakers and an old, old, old SyncMaster for my second monitor.

Cables underneath.

Desk lamp for ambient lighting to ease the stress on my weary eyes.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

At least they don't use photobucket.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

evale posted:

What jackass thought it was smart to put an audio jack at the front of the laptop? Friend had that, so annoying having that big audio cable sticking outward.

Serious Business
Jun 22, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

JerseyMonkey posted:

What jackass thought it was smart to put an audio jack at the front of the laptop? Friend had that, so annoying having that big audio cable sticking outward.

Unfortunately they still do this. I just setup a brand new HP dv6 for a friend and they were on the front. Design failure.

I love my Dell Studio 1737, they didn't put any ports on the back or front, they are all on the sides.

They were also smart in putting the ethernet jack and monitor cable on the left side, so as to not interfere with an external mouse (at least for normal people that use their mouse on the right).

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Well it's good for headphones when you're not using your laptop as a desktop.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

diospadre posted:

Well it's good for headphones when you're not using your laptop as a desktop.

The side works fine for headphones. In fact, better, I'd imagine.

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

evale posted:

:words:

Awesome Motorhead poster from the first album! I've been on such a huge loving Motorhead kick the past month or so. That first album is just so good.

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!

Dogcow posted:

Yes I paid $30 for an aluminum mousepad because that's how much of a massive Apple douche I am.

What kind of laptop stand is that? I've been looking for something to raise and angle my laptop for a while now.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

ATwoSlotToaster posted:

What kind of laptop stand is that? I've been looking for something to raise and angle my laptop for a while now.

Not entirely sure its this, but I know the Griffin stand that Apple sells for the Macbooks is an awesome stand. http://store.apple.com/us/product/TK651LL/A

gregday
May 23, 2003

Sir Nigel posted:

Not entirely sure its this, but I know the Griffin stand that Apple sells for the Macbooks is an awesome stand. http://store.apple.com/us/product/TK651LL/A

Spend $8 and get the Rain mStand.

sotorious
Dec 23, 2009

Erwin posted:

At least they don't use photobucket.

What's wrong with photobucket? and i meant mcnasty as in nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

sotorious posted:

What's wrong with photobucket? and i meant mcnasty as in nice.

Bandwidth caps it seems

Serious Business posted:

Unfortunately they still do this. I just setup a brand new HP dv6 for a friend and they were on the front. Design failure.

I love my Dell Studio 1737, they didn't put any ports on the back or front, they are all on the sides.

They were also smart in putting the ethernet jack and monitor cable on the left side, so as to not interfere with an external mouse (at least for normal people that use their mouse on the right).

See, I don't really mind back ports (you need somewhere for your fan's vent to point, non? But the one thing that really bothers me is the side power plug; it's really a pain in the rear end if the outlet is on the wrong side of the laptop, since that now means you lose a foot of cord more or less. Plus, you have the whole extra issue of it being pressured if you use the laptop in bed. At least it keeps the cable from coming out of the jack as often, though (I'm looking at you, D830, who's power lead falls out if I so much as fart).

One thing I really miss (had this on my Inspiron 1500) are front "media" buttons. Volume up/down and mute where I can reach them (rather than ham-handedly mashing the loving power button) were great.

PopeOnARope fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Dec 24, 2009