Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Anunnaki posted:

Ugh, is there a way to make a custom dropdown menu for choosing between cookie acceptance? It's annoying as gently caress to have to navigate all the way through the menus twice every time I want to log in to YouTube because of cross web site cookies.

While I think that would be possible, have you checked that the Cookies options in Site Preferences won't allow you to have it switch this setting per-site automatically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Lakitu7 posted:

While I think that would be possible, have you checked that the Cookies options in Site Preferences won't allow you to have it switch this setting per-site automatically?

Well, I actually tried setting YouTube to accept any cookies, but it still didn't let me log in until I changed the global setting. And besides, if I set it on an "Allow All or None", that would kind of defeat the purpose of monitoring your cookies at all, since a lot of sites have really extraneous cookies you don't need for the site to be functional (banner ads, tracking cookies, etc.).

kholdstayr
Dec 7, 2002
Revenge is a dish best served Khold
Does anyone know when the new Opera javascript engine is going to be released?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

On the previous page:

Lakitu7 posted:

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2009/12/17/christmas-comes-early-for-opera-users

quote:

While everyone is off for Christmas vacation, the desktop team is working hard on preparing a nice holiday gift for Opera users. On December 22nd we will release a 10.5 pre-alpha. We'll keep it a surprise for now, but the keyword is: speed.
Sounds like the long silence has had them working on a new something or other. Maybe hardware acceleration finally?

So presumably on Tuesday it'll be out as a pre-alpha.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
It seems that a 10.5 pre-alpha build has been leaked. The article mentions a number of noticeable changes, including integration with both Aero and the Windows 7 Superbar and per-tab private browsing.

Based on some benchmarks they ran against the 10.1 and 10.2 alpha, there doesn't seem to be any change in the Javascript performance, meaning we probably aren't getting Carakan this week. However, this is an internal build that was not ready to see the light of day so there might still be some hope yet to see Carakan.

Personally, I can wait a couple of days if it means we can get a slightly more ready pre-alpha build.

Sergeant Hobo fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 21, 2009

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Considering their earlier comment was "the keyword is: speed", surely there must be something else? Nothing listed in this article could possibly considered "speed" unless you really stretch superbar stuff -> opening favorite pages in less clicks -> speed.

Private browsing is long overdue, though.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Sergeant Hobo posted:

Spoilers put in for those who might want to be surprised.

It's a browser release. Please don't do this poo poo, it's unbelievably annoying.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Lakitu7 posted:

Private browsing is long overdue, though.

I wonder if they're going to call it Phantom Mode. :rimshot:

ColdPie posted:

It's a browser release. Please don't do this poo poo, it's unbelievably annoying.

Very well then.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
Is there a working user script or bookmarklet to download YouTube videos? The one posted way back in the thread doesn't work for me.

Edit: VVVV
Awesome, this works, thank you.

Cosmopolitan fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 22, 2009

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Anunnaki posted:

Is there a working user script or bookmarklet to download YouTube videos? The one posted way back in the thread doesn't work for me.

http://pastebin.com/m7f0f12b0

Hopefully "paste this into a bookmark, which I copied out of my bookmark" is a sufficient way to transfer it. Heck if I remember where I got it, but when the other one broke, I found this one and it still works.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Anunnaki posted:

http://www.savevid.com/

KeepVid stopped working for me, and someone in the general SMall questions thread pointed me there. There's a bookmarklet you can grab from there site.

(in case the other one does not work or wahtever.)

JonTheDon
Sep 16, 2005
The official Opera 10.5 'pre-alpha' is out:
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2009/12/22/from-all-of-us-to-all-of-you

My first impressions are good, but bear this in mind:

quote:

Warning
This build is pre-alpha quality. It's intended as an early showcase for new technologies. It might freeze your computer, corrupt your data, embarrass you in front of your friends or worse. Don't upgrade your existing Opera installation with it.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Are gestures broken in the Pre-Alpha for anyone else?

Edit: Apparently they added some gesture sensitivity settings, but made them so you can't even get them as low as you are used to. gently caress.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Dec 22, 2009

JonTheDon
Sep 16, 2005

Mithaldu posted:

Are gestures broken in the Pre-Alpha for anyone else?
I only use one gesture, new tab - I've noticed it's less sensitive, and have to use a bit more motion.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Carakan benchmark.]

Holy balls, Batman, that's fast.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Casao posted:

Carakan benchmark.]

Holy balls, Batman, that's fast.
http://v8.googlecode.com/svn/data/benchmarks/v5/run.html goes from 95 to 1400 on my crappy 3 year old laptop. Woa.

Gotta say i love the slimlined layout too.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Carakan and Vega? It really is Christmas. :unsmith:

EDIT: For anyone who is interested, here are some blog posts with more info on some of the new stuff.

Opera Core Concerns blog - Carakan Revisited
Opera Developer Relations Team - What's New in 10.5

Sergeant Hobo fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Dec 22, 2009

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

RoadCrewWorker posted:

http://v8.googlecode.com/svn/data/benchmarks/v5/run.html goes from 95 to 1400 on my crappy 3 year old laptop. Woa.

Gotta say i love the slimlined layout too.

New layout looks exactly like how I set up my netbook layout, which is cool. Doesn't look so hot on WinXP, but I'm sure when I get it home to Win7 I'll like it.

Performance is pretty good, even Wave is relatively speedy (though it's crashing all the time).

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
You can immediately tell that it's faster in pretty much everything. :aaaaa:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
:crossarms:

quote:

Presto 2.5 has support for both Web Storage and Web SQL databases. In Web Storage, you have the option to store the data temporarily (session storage) or for a longer time using local storage, which will store data until you explicitly clear it. Web SQL gives you the ability to create databases on the user's machine (using SQLite as a backend) so that you can store data in a more structured manner and even query it using SQL.

http://people.opera.com/shwetankd/external/demos/websql_demo.htm
:hawaaaafap: (clientside javascript)

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Had 10.5 crash on me a few times already. But whatever.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

:crossarms:

http://people.opera.com/shwetankd/external/demos/websql_demo.htm
:hawaaaafap: (clientside javascript)

Time to revisit Opera SALR?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Holy poo poo. The stuff in here is loving NICE. The divided garbage collector sounds like it will fix a massive problem I have with certain operations taking ages due to me having ~90 tabs open at all times.

I can't till this hits a version where the gestures are fixed.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

quote:

If you're using Mac OS, you will notice that Opera looks a lot more Mac-ish. This is the result of some big changes under the hood. Opera 10.5 for Mac has moved to using the Cocoa framework, which makes it possible to introduce the Unified Toolbar, more native user interface widgets and support for Growl.

:woop: :woop:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Oooh, the transitions on the tab bar when opening and closing tabs are neat.

And now the UI takes even less space than before, and you can place buttons on the window title bar. If you want to be silly, you can put everything there:

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Well this sure is everything I wanted, and it sounds more like a v11 than a v10.5. Now for the long wait until it becomes stable. :(

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
There's a lot of minor bugs in 10.5, but it's pretty absurdly fast. With 125 pages open it feels as responsive as chrome with a small number of pages open.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

This is cool for the most part but I can't live without being able to middle click+scroll

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Farts Domino posted:

This is cool for the most part but I can't live without being able to middle click+scroll

This is about the only reason I can't use 10.5 as my normal browser. That, and it can be a little on the horribly unstable side.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Finally installed 10.5 on my netbook, it's nice. Gonna use it as my main Opera on here if it's not too unstable for me.

Pogo Stick Eagle
May 5, 2004

Strange, yet symbolically compelling.
I haven't used Opera in a while, but I just have to say that the newest version has the most amazing silky smooth scrolling of webpages in a browser ever. It is seriously way beyond Chrome of FF in this regard at least.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I want to use an ad filter, but I only want to use it too weed out the most atrocious ads - not the harmless and purdy ones like SA and Fusion Ads for instance.

Is there some sort of "light" ad filter for Opera?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Just start out without any ads blocked, then whenever you see something that annoys you, do these steps:
1. right-click the page and, activate the blocking mode
2. shift-click the offending ad
3. click edit
4. trim down the url and add * as a wildcard where appropiate
5. click ok

This way only those that actually do annoy you will get blocked.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Mithaldu posted:

Just start out without any ads blocked, then whenever you see something that annoys you, do these steps:
1. right-click the page and, activate the blocking mode
2. shift-click the offending ad
3. click edit
4. trim down the url and add * as a wildcard where appropiate
5. click ok

This way only those that actually do annoy you will get blocked.
I've tried that, and I still ran into a bunch of ads. :/

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

In that case, get a restrictive one, load the website you want to show ads on, right-click the page, click "Edit Site Preferences", go to the "Content" tab and disable Content Blocking there.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

ufarn posted:

I want to use an ad filter, but I only want to use it too weed out the most atrocious ads - not the harmless and purdy ones like SA and Fusion Ads for instance.

Is there some sort of "light" ad filter for Opera?

Adding these two lines to the blocked content list works well enough for me:

ad*.*
*/ad*/*

If you see any other annoying ads that these two lines don't catch, take a look at the URL and add another pattern. Wildcards are pretty useful like that. :)

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
It seems that Opera released another pre-alpha build. There's a UNIX build and support for that <video> element (but not for Mac apparently) complete with a Opera Core Team blog post about the <video> element.

EDIT: Guys, it's been at least 30 minutes now and this new build hasn't crashed on me. :ohdear:

EDIT 2: OK, YouTube acts funky if you scroll while a video is playing.

Sergeant Hobo fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 1, 2010

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Sergeant Hobo posted:

It seems that Opera released another pre-alpha build. There's a UNIX build and support for that <video> element (but not for Mac apparently) complete with a Opera Core Team blog post about the <video> element.

EDIT: Guys, it's been at least 30 minutes now and this new build hasn't crashed on me. :ohdear:

That'd be great, Opera not crashing if it's left open for more than 10 minutes.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Sergeant Hobo posted:

I got that strange YouTube behavior and had it crash once but so far this is a dream of an alpha. Very fast and lots of nice little things (rearranging Tabs is very easy and smooth now). However, I hate that they got rid of the super streamlined Inline Find and now have a clumsy Find bar.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Ape Agitator posted:

I got that strange YouTube behavior and had it crash once but so far this is a dream of an alpha. Very fast and lots of nice little things (rearranging Tabs is very easy and smooth now). However, I hate that they got rid of the super streamlined Inline Find and now have a clumsy Find bar.

Why? It still pops up if you hit . or / so why does it matter if it's a bar or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Unfortunately, the 10.5 pre-alpha crashes immediately on my 2009 MBP with Snow Leopard. It does so really fast, though!

Still, it's cool that they're willing to let the adventurous play with it, even though it isn't even approaching ready to go.