Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Please tell me there are Basestar-looking ships in this range.

http://www.spartangames.co.uk/images/firestorm/Directorate_Cut_Out_Fleet.jpg

This is the closest they've come so far, I think the models come out in March.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

PaintVagrant posted:

I use GW foundations, washes, metallics, and a few colors, like enchanted blue, scorched brown, elf flesh, sunburst yellow and blood red.

Pretty much every other color I use is p3, theres just more color variety

in p3:

matte medium
MWH
skorne red
bootstrap leather

are all must-haves

Hi PV, could you tell me what you use the matt medium for, I have only used it for the pigment sets from vallejo at this stage, what is it for?

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Morning posted:

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=32050

Thats the article that Ive mostly followed for the last little bit, and just figuring out this little thing I missed really is motivating.

If you want really thin or transparent layers of paint you'll want to use some glazing medium to hold it together. It'll cost $8-$11 USD at a paint or craft store. It's awesome stuff. It lets you get very thin or transparent colors without needing to worry about water marks or the paint breaking apart.

Les shows how he uses it in one of his painting tutorials. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm2MY_w2Dsg

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Medium can do glazes like mentioned, as well as as breaking the surface tension of the paint a little bit, so if you put a bit of it in washes it flows into cracks and stuff better

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
great, thanks guys, i'll give it a whirl.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tanith posted:

http://www.spartangames.co.uk/images/firestorm/Directorate_Cut_Out_Fleet.jpg

This is the closest they've come so far, I think the models come out in March.

Those look so awesome

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Captain Invictus posted:

Those look so awesome

They remind me a lot of one of the factions from Gratuitous Space Battles.

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
PV, how did you do your bone? I tried doing what I thought you did, but it doesnt seem to work out the way I want it to :(

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Yog-Sothoth posted:

Magentizing the Screaming Bell/Plague Furnace

Dude this kicks all kinds of rear end

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Quick first attempt at a nid scheme. I'm quite pleased but I definately need to make the green more transparent if I get around to doing a proper model (forgot I had glaze medium in my forest of paints).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Quick first attempt at a nid scheme. I'm quite pleased but I definately need to make the green more transparent if I get around to doing a proper model (forgot I had glaze medium in my forest of paints).

Holy gently caress that's good. :aaa:

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
Agreed.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

OK Dude that is easily the most dynamic and realistic nid color scheme of all time. Please make your 5th edition codex an elite force so that you don't burn out painting that. Seriously bravo.

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Holy poo poo man, I've been using a very similar color scheme but that is WAY better than my stuff. :aaa:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I recently attempted (and failed) at painting my first rhino.

My first mistake:
Allowing the super glue lines to show on the outer-most parts of the rhino. I guess I got glue-happy just trying to piece the bitch together.
From then on it was just downhill :(

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Anphrax posted:

Allowing the super glue lines to show on the outer-most parts of the rhino.

Why were you using Super Glue and not plastic cement?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

No lie, that's probably the best paint scheme for Tyranids that I've seen. It looks less like a painted model and more like something you'd see on a full-page spread in National Geographic. Probably the "WE'RE hosed" issue.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

That little touch of purple/cool color under the warm colors really makes that nid pop. Is it a scheme thats going to be repeatable on the 5,422 gaunts you have to paint?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Thanks for the positive feedback everyone. I have a lot of trouble motivating myself to get on with painting and positive feedback is the best encouragement.

PV: yeah I think so. I'd airbrush the basecoat, then shading is devlan mud all over followed by an overbrush (is that the right term ? It's drybrushing with a damp brush and not as much paint wiped off), and only then do I actually have to start being neat as I apply the black/green mix, purples and green. The carapace is pretty quick as well being quickly applied straight lines.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Awesome. Get to painting. Also, pick a basing scheme that compliments the colors in the nid

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I meant to ask for suggestions on basing actually, I don't think my usual earth rim and bestial-up-to-bone sand will really work.

Edit: Maybe something closer to my CSM bases, scorched rims with industrial/urban grey bases.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 23, 2009

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

I'm a big fan of overbrushing with scorched brown, then drybrushing up through 2-3 shades of grey. Does the job and never seems too overpowering.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Id probably stay away from warm colors on the bases, so a blueish grayish urban wreckage would look cool

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Why were you using Super Glue and not plastic cement?

I don't use any plastic-glue/cement/etc. I find that super glue works better for me. I've heard a lot of people complain that when they set down pieces that have been glued with super glue they can fall apart, but that has never been the case for me.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

cuz plastic cement sux super glue for life :whatup:

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax

PaintVagrant posted:

cuz plastic cement sux super glue for life :whatup:

seriously.

Pro cement retards:
"welp I just bough this expensive model, I guess I will now risk melting off the details and eliminating the possibility of disassembling it to make changes at future date."

enlightened super glue (gel) user:
"oh no, a piece has fallen off my model without sustaining any damage." applies one drop of glue and fixes it in 10 seconds.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Well... I'm glad I'm not alone :smug:

I am still in the process of learning so I guess its a good thing I hosed up on a rhino instead of something more expensive...

On another note.. has anyone taken the academy? And as a beginner is it a good idea? They changed some of the items you get at the end. You now get the "How to paint Citadel miniatures" book, the starter paint set including all the foundations, sand (I think), clippers, plastic glue, brush, etc. and a $30.00 box...

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

my main beef with plastic cement is that it takes too damned long and I have am wildly impatient and easily enraged

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

PaintVagrant posted:

my main beef with plastic cement is that it takes too damned long and I have am wildly impatient and easily enraged

I would have never guessed you to be impatient? How long are your painting stints? Do you only paint for a short time and then stop for awhile?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

If you live in the US, go to a Dollar Tree and pick up a toothbrush and some "LA's Totally Awesome", it's piss yellow and in the cleaning supplies section. Let the dudes soak in the stuff for a day or two, then take them out and scrub under running water. The paint and most of the primer should come off, a little bit left behind isn't a big deal.

Before:

After:

Bonus nurglesque action shot:

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I couldn't get to sleep on Sunday night and decided to finally get around to the babyphant conversion of a carnifex that I 'started' 3 years ago. 'Started' consisted of cutting off a single hoof on one of the fex's feet and putting everything back in the box. After a night of frenzied chopping, sawing and clipping I ended up with this at 5am. It was originally inspired by Moloch's babyphant on his website but I decided I wanted something more spindly.

Here he is pre-greenstuff with a paint-test guant for scale. I'm pretty happy with him now, the breakthrough for me was when I decided that I needed to extend the first joint of his arms and the 2nd joint of his legs and then everything came together the way I envisioned it.

What's left (aside from the obvious greenstuff in the joints) is to figure out how I am going to curve it's tail under the body and to create some ball sockets for the weapons closer to the underside of it's body. I might also do some work to it's head/neck so I can get it to point forward instead of down.

Simple Green is awesome... for metal models. Paint and primer slides right off. The primer on my plastic models stubbornly refuses to come off and I use my toothbrush so much that I am worried about wearing down the plastic :(

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
Leave it soaking for at least a week, it comes off great after a few weeks in the tank.

SirJoeKCB
Dec 24, 2003
I just finished up painting Nayl for my burgeoning Retribution army after leaving him half done for a couple of months. Now I just need to keep up the pace.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Been busy for what used to be the GBS thread. Crossposting without remorse, since I'm pretty happy.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Aetilus posted:

Pro cement retards:
"welp I just bough this expensive model, I guess I will now risk melting off the details and eliminating the possibility of disassembling it to make changes at future date."

Heh, guess someone just isn't pro enough to use big boy glue. :smug:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Aetilus posted:

seriously.

Pro cement retards:

enlightened super glue (gel) user:
"oh no, a piece has fallen off my model without sustaining any damage." applies one drop of glue and fixes it in 10 seconds.

I'm more bothered about superglue frosting the paint on a model I've spent an age painting than I am about melting details off. If you're using a totally retarded glue dispenser then yea, I can see your point.. but if you're using one of those needle applicators then it's all good, you can just put the glue wherever you need it, no more and no less.

One other thing I've found over the years with plastic cement is to rough up the areas you're joining by marking lines in both sides of the plastic with a hobby knife, apply glue to both sides and give it 10 seconds to do its thing, then slap the bits together. Holds pretty instantly and there's not much chance of it slipping and frustrating you.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Anphrax posted:

I would have never guessed you to be impatient? How long are your painting stints? Do you only paint for a short time and then stop for awhile?

I usually paint for about 2 hours, take a break, come back...on a long day Ill end up painting for like 8-10 hours over a 12 hour period

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Would some of you guys (PV and Yog, I'm looking at you) post a tutorial on basic painting, say and Ork or Space Marine. My first model doesn't look very good, and I'd love to see the techniques you guys use to make models look so goddamn awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

PaintVagrant posted:

I usually paint for about 2 hours, take a break, come back...on a long day Ill end up painting for like 8-10 hours over a 12 hour period

This is my preferred method, but since I have to use our dining room table it doesn't last that long. I choose to blame my slow output on this fact.

• Locked thread