Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Hi guys miss me I might play over Winter break gently caress college I know you missed me guys I took that quiz and got European 13k not too bad it's like what I was when I stopped playing but a little shittier which makes sense because I probably suck now okay looking forward to having you guys kick my rear end give me a few weeks before finals are done okay bye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.

qxan posted:

Hi guys miss me I might play over Winter break gently caress college I know you missed me guys I took that quiz and got European 13k not too bad it's like what I was when I stopped playing but a little shittier which makes sense because I probably suck now okay looking forward to having you guys kick my rear end give me a few weeks before finals are done okay bye

Quoting because I would have just posted exactly the same thing anyway (right down to the 13k quiz result)

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
To the Philly area people.. I just moved to Manayunk. I still work in Blue Bell so lunch breaks are probably out, but just wanted to give an update incase anyone wants to meet up and play somewhere.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is there a good go app for an Android phone, preferably one that lets you play online?

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Howard posted:

I got european 2 kyu Prod :( The test is rigged.

Remember it's Dinerchtein's test and he is kind of fghnnnnnnnnnnnnn as far as professionals go

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Argue posted:

Is there a good go app for an Android phone, preferably one that lets you play online?

Not that I've found. I have a MyTouch and all I found was Hugoban. Which only lets you load sgf files or play with someone else in person. It seems to sometimes have a hard time loading goproblem sgf files.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

In as gogoohno, looking for some relative beginners to play with, nothing serious, just improving our game and providing good feedback. Feel free to PM me.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
This thread is dying. Dying, I say!

So I'll be trying to start ago club at my university after the winter break. Got a bunch of people interested but they're all total beginners. Hopefully I'll manage to get it off the ground.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

It's only been 12 days. I'm pretty sure we've gone longer without posting.

Tomorrow I officially start my winter break and the face to reach 6kyu to match Aero's first year of go. And if I reach 7kyu I think I match Exar...if I reach 5kyu well then I don't know who I match but I know who I beat....

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

I am just training in secret with an encyclopedia of go problems.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn

ThePineapple posted:

This thread is dying. Dying, I say!

So I'll be trying to start ago club at my university after the winter break. Got a bunch of people interested but they're all total beginners. Hopefully I'll manage to get it off the ground.

I did this this fall, it can be trying but it's fun also. The best thing to do is to get even numbers of beginners so they can play each other and you can supervise, rather than getting tied down in one game.

Put up a bunch of posters and things, you'd be surprised at who turns up.

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
My friend's wife went back to Korea for the green card process, and I asked her to bring me back something go-related like a fan with a player's signature on it or something equally cheesy. This is what she showed up with

Click here for the full 1000x669 image.

Now I just need to get better at go :(

superdylan fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 21, 2009

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
drat noice

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

that's a beautiful set man. congrats! also good photos.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

better buy them something loving expensive for christmas because thats a sweet-rear end board. look at those wood grains

close game too

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

superdylan posted:

My friend's wife went back to Korea for the green card process, and I asked her to bring me back something go-related like a fan with a player's signature on it or something equally cheesy. This is what she showed up with

Holy poo poo! What are you, screwing your friend's wife? Nice set, in any case :D

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
What kind of stones are those? And anyway yeah nice board bro

Howard
Jun 20, 2005
go board: https://wi.somethingawful.com/12/124a11cf3e55daff3096eb2a8cd1055b74b48641.jpg

Gimpy Joe
Jul 25, 2004
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan A Stately Pleasure Dome Decree
Wooot, just got kgs ban for calling Bigdoug gay in a 7d vs 7d game.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn

Gimpy Joe posted:

Wooot, just got kgs ban for calling Bigdoug gay in a 7d vs 7d game.

why would you even do that you know how he gets

Gimpy Joe
Jul 25, 2004
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan A Stately Pleasure Dome Decree

Urban Renewal posted:

why would you even do that you know how he gets

He wasn't even there, some other admin must have gotten me. I hope my ban lifts in time for me to try and get the kgs+ teaching game on thursday.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Am I the only one who got a go-related gift for the holidays? I got magnetic go set that A: fits in a cylinder for easy transport, and B: has a magnetic board so I can stick it on my fridge or a whiteboard.

also I got a book on Shogi but no one here would play an inferior game like that

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

I didn't get anything go related but I got money so I might buy Ishida's Vol 2.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn

helopticor posted:

Am I the only one who got a go-related gift for the holidays? I got magnetic go set that A: fits in a cylinder for easy transport, and B: has a magnetic board so I can stick it on my fridge or a whiteboard.

That's pretty cool, how does it play? Is it pretty close to full-size? Looks like it's from YMI going by the logo on the bag.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Blendy posted:

I didn't get anything go related but I got money so I might buy Ishida's Vol 2.

get volume one if you don't have it because they refer to each other a lot, particularly when it comes to wider pincers

CURIOSITY OF GEESE
Jan 29, 2009

My favorite meat is hot dog, by the way. That is my favorite meat. My second favorite meat is hamburger. And, everyone says, oh, don’t you prefer steak? It’s like, I know steaks are great, but I like hot dog best, and I like hamburger next best.
I started playing months back, but I dropped it due to being busy and other life issues. Now, I want to get back into it because it's a great game. I'm in SA as "mrkarr", so let me into your secret club please? I remember getting destroyed by nexterh a while ago; is he still in here?

CURIOSITY OF GEESE fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 31, 2009

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Under 15 posted:

get volume one if you don't have it because they refer to each other a lot, particularly when it comes to wider pincers

I got Vol 1 awhile ago for my paper on joseki. I figured I'd just slowly acquire the set.

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
My latest acquisition, and my favorite opening for when I just want to gently caress with people

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009

helopticor posted:

also I got a book on Shogi but no one here would play an inferior game like that

Hey! I got that exact same set for myself just before my winter break. It plays well, but if you keep it in the container it takes a bit to get it flat. The stone pouches are stylish as hell, too

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Hey Patrickyu/The Pineapple when are you back from Hong Kong?

MagneticWombats
Aug 19, 2004
JUMP!
Anyone notice KGS rejecting their connect requests? I don't know if its the public network I'm on and some deal with ports or if it's really down.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

KGS has been really sketchy since the new year, so it is not just you. Their service provider got whacked with a power surge about a week and a half ago and things haven't been quite right since then.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Hihi, I am a horrible beginner who would love a good thrashing. Please destroy me! I am occasionally hanging out in the SA room as Tedster.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
make some noise when you come in so we know you're there

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
this is a go related youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMoTxULhWMM

Emo Rodeo
Dec 28, 2006

This is one mystic quest
I like your style, donkey punch.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

What set would you recommend for an office setting? My boss and I are both decent at chess but have just started playing Go. We've been playing on a cheapass wood board with these plastic pieces and it's really frustrating. Everytime we make a move we bump 4 other stones out of place and its starting to piss me off.

What's a good set that isn't too expensive but also isn't a piece of poo poo. We're looking in the $75-$100 range.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

First Time Caller posted:

What set would you recommend for an office setting? My boss and I are both decent at chess but have just started playing Go. We've been playing on a cheapass wood board with these plastic pieces and it's really frustrating. Everytime we make a move we bump 4 other stones out of place and its starting to piss me off.

What's a good set that isn't too expensive but also isn't a piece of poo poo. We're looking in the $75-$100 range.

http://www.ymimports.com/p-868-bamboo-34-go-reversible-board-19x19-13x13-and-single-convex-yunzi-stones.aspx

This is a cheap but nice set and I find it harder to bump single convex stones out of place.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn

First Time Caller posted:

At that price range you'll be able to get plenty of decent full-size wood boards with yunzi stones, like what Blendy linked. The game is much more enjoyable with full size stones, so enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

I would make sure you order a board/stone set because the stones come in different sizes and if you aren't careful, you may end up with poo poo that's the wrong size. If the stones are too small for the board, it's just ugly, but if they're too big you will be hosed.

Also if you order the nicer stones (yunzi stones, slate and shell) you are going to have to clean and prepare the stones before you use them and that will take some precious effort. Yunzi stones are packed in thick plastic bags with some kind of crap that is like cardboard dust, and it took me a few hours to get mine cleaned and oiled to my satisfaction.