Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Sir Nigel posted:

Besides hardware acceleration, what is the difference between Haali and EVR that would make one superior over the other?

Uh I think you're downplaying the significance of hardware acceleration here chief. There is no "besides hardware acceleration, what makes it better?" when it comes to playing video in HD resolutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Plorkyeran posted:

Being newer does not magically make something better.

Any being older doesn't, either. It's built into MPC-HC, supports Vista/Win7 perfectly, is hardware accelerated, supports subtitles, and is currently running 720p h264 resized to half size @ 3% CPU which is absolutely nothing.

Basically, EVR destroys Haali in every day and using otherwise means you've done bad and you should feel bad.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

Posting to hopefully provide some help to morons like me. I upgraded my ASUS 1000HE (netbook) from Windows 7 RC1 to Windows 7 Ultimate (retail) with no troubles whatsoever. Although it did take around 6 hours to complete.

You can do this by going to the cversion.ini on the install disc (I used an external USB hard drive) and editing the first number to 7000.

Normally I'd do a normal flatten and re-install, but I'm short on time and don't want to use what little vacation I have re-installing and changing settings for days on end.

It worked flawlessly. Currently doing my main computer and posting from the netbook. It's almost finished with no issues so far.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb
Has anyone gotten printer sharing with 2 win 7 computers through homegroup working correctly?

Trying to print from the computer the printer is not connected to doesn't work, until the computer connected to the computer reboots.

Printing from the computer connected to the computer works correctly.

Printer sharing is turned on in the Homegroup window, requiring a password is turned off, sharing the printer through the normal printer interface is turned on. Any idea?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is there a way to put a graphic card driver on the Virtual XP? I know this isn't what the program was developed for, but I just wanted to try using this mode for running old PC games that barely use any graphic power, but have low resolution but forced full screen mode. But the driver fail before it gets near the end.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

Is there a way to put a graphic card driver on the Virtual XP? I know this isn't what the program was developed for, but I just wanted to try using this mode for running old PC games that barely use any graphic power, but have low resolution but forced full screen mode. But the driver fail before it gets near the end.

What graphics card driver are you expecting to work under XP Mode? Virtual PC is emulating "lovely, non-accelerated SVGA". It doesn't matter if you find a deity to hand-forge you a mystic driver from the heavens. If the "hardware" is poo poo the driver won't work miracles.

XP Mode was designed for seamless running of Windows applications alongside Windows 7. Great for retarded poo poo like getting Cisco VPN working under 64-bit Windows.

Microsoft has loving neutered/destroyed any aspect of what was known as "Virtual PC" beyond that, and probably fired all the original staff that created it and burned down their homes.

If you want an accelerated virtual system, grab VirtualBox.

You can disable the integration stuff of VirtualPC (switch from the RDP-style interface to more of the classic VirtualPC interface) to try and improve performance, but it will still suck.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is there an equivalent to Mac's Photo Booth for Windows 7? I was trying to take a quick video with my webcam and was surprised that Windows Movie Maker doesn't seem to have any capture capabilities. A quick google search only seems to turn up "wacky" photo taking programs.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

Try VirtualBox with 2D/3D acceleration enabled.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
EVR custom in MPC-HC actually crashes constantly for me, so I have to use whatever I used to use before which I think is VMR9 renderless. Regular EVR also crashes, but not as much.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I've got Windows 7 ultimate (no TV tuner) but trying to watch "internet TV" 99% of the time says "this content is taking a long time to load, please wait or try something else" and then eventually, "this video is not available at this time, please try again later."

A few shows work, but the vast majority don't. Amazingly, google turns up exactly nothing on this issue. Am I the only one? Can anyone here actually watch all (or even more than a few) of the "internet TV" shows that the Win7 MCE guide shows as available?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Any idea why Win7 RC would spontaneously reboot itself while I'm trying to play GTA IV? It happened once before a few days ago, but I can't remember what I was doing at the time.

It's like a "nice" reboot where all the programmes shut down first and it goes through the whole "Windows is shutting down" process ... but no error message and completely inexplicable to me.

Automatic updates are set to manual too.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Does your computer think it's March 1st?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

teethgrinder posted:

Automatic updates are set to manual too.

Never do this.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Is Sleep Mode in 7 essentially a combo of Stand By and Hibernation from Windows XP? I want to make sure I can sleep my Windows 7 machine and then unplug it.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Strong Sauce posted:

Is Sleep Mode in 7 essentially a combo of Sleep and Hibernation from Windows XP? I want to make sure I can sleep my Windows 7 machine and then unplug it.

As with Vista, you need to make sure "Hybrid Sleep" is enabled. It does seem to effectively be a combo of both hibernate and sleep; hiberfil.sys is written to, but sleep is maintained if possible.

If nothing else, test it once. Nothing terribly bad will happen if it isn't set right.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Manky posted:

Is there an equivalent to Mac's Photo Booth for Windows 7? I was trying to take a quick video with my webcam and was surprised that Windows Movie Maker doesn't seem to have any capture capabilities. A quick google search only seems to turn up "wacky" photo taking programs.

Yawcam is pretty good for to-the-point functionality. Not that sleek looking, but it gets the job done.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Is it just me or is the "games folder" really bad and worthless? It seems like a cool idea if it would actually work correctly. I installed a bunch of my gog.com games, and one of them has two entries in the folder, and one appeared but its sequel (which I don't own) also appeared for some reason. Four games are listed in an "unspecified" section, and left clicking or right clicking on them does absolutely nothing, and I can't remove them. If I add any game that uses Scummvm, Dosbox, or Steam then it doesn't display the correct icon and I don't see any way to change it. So am I missing something or is it true that this folder sucks?

edit: I just found out that if you try running Spelunky through the games folder it crashes even if it runs fine through a desktop shortcut :pcgaming:

tankadillo fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 24, 2009

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

raezr posted:

Is it just me or is the "games folder" really bad and worthless? It seems like a cool idea if it would actually work correctly. I installed a bunch of my gog.com games, and one of them has two entries in the folder, and one appeared but its sequel (which I don't own) also appeared for some reason. Four games are listed in an "unspecified" section, and left clicking or right clicking on them does absolutely nothing, and I can't remove them. If I add any game that uses Scummvm, Dosbox, or Steam then it doesn't display the correct icon and I don't see any way to change it. So am I missing something or is it true that this folder sucks?

edit: I just found out that if you try running Spelunky through the games folder it crashes even if it runs fine through a desktop shortcut :pcgaming:

Games folder is more than worthless. It has worked (or not worked) the same since Vista (ie: it's one of those "not something new in Windows 7" features).

One copy of Guild Wars = 4 guild wars icons ("gw.exe" translates into the three campaigns and expansion as separate games for some reason).

Game titles are almost hard-coded (you have to edit the Registry to change them!). So instead of games like "Neverwinter Nights", you end up with "Atari's(R) NeverWinter Nights(TM) Diamond Edition(TM) Game" plus icons for all of its expansions as well.

It uses mixed-case for some game names. Instead of "World of Warcraft" (as Blizzard writes it), it uses "World of WarCraft". You can't rename it unless you edit the registry (or Hide the icon and create another).

Some game installers won't make a program folder for the game on the Start Menu, and will instead only add the game (with its long/hosed up name) to the Games folder.

You also end up with generic "requirements" listed like a "2" for the Windows Experience index. So a demanding 3D online game may list "2", and a simple 2D chess game may list "2" as well, even though real requirements are no-where near each other for the games. Or a game may list a "1"... Where everything from a Core 2 Duo system to a Pentium III system may all have a "1" because of some weird driver issue.

Lamestream Media
Dec 2, 2007

by angerbotSD
I just bought an Acer netbook with Windows 7 and full of bloatware. How do I make/get a clean install disc for Windows 7? I've made system restore discs with a USB DVD writer but I can't figure out how to make a disc with just the OS and none of the bloat crap on it.

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.
Is there any way to fix the taskbar disappearing after resuming from sleep? It's like the entire panel except the orb vanishes; I can click on the desktop underneath it.

Going into screensaver and then out of it seems to fix it, but this is quite an annoying workaround.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.
forgive me if its been asked, but does windows 7 64 have some/alot of wireless connectivity problems?

Driving me up the wall, I have a dell studio 15 with 1510 wireless-n card, and trying to connect to my girlfriends linksys router is just pure luck, most of the time connected but with limited connectivity, probably 30 percent of the time i can connect, she can connect all of the time though. At my house i can connect to a belkin router fine.

Router is all in working order, reinstalled wireless drivers, no firewall on router, turned off eset, anything else?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

What would be the point of the Games Explorer Folder Thingamajig assuming it wasn't as lovely as described?

I just type "border" into the start menu to start Borderlands.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Thermopyle posted:

What would be the point of the Games Explorer Folder Thingamajig assuming it wasn't as lovely as described?

Centralized list for ratings/updates/system requirements like Steam for people without Steam.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Lamestream Media posted:

I just bought an Acer netbook with Windows 7 and full of bloatware. How do I make/get a clean install disc for Windows 7? I've made system restore discs with a USB DVD writer but I can't figure out how to make a disc with just the OS and none of the bloat crap on it.

From a few pages back, match the .iso to your version and make a disc or usb or whatever.

Shofixti posted:

Surprisingly, there are non dynamic iso download links available from digital river. I'm not sure how that came about but these are the same links you get if you email digital river tech support and ask for an iso instead of the exe.

32-bit Windows 7 Home Premium x86 ISO
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-65732/X15-65732.iso

64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium x64 ISO
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-65733/X15-65733.iso

32-bit Windows 7 Professional x86 ISO
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-65804/X15-65804.iso

64-bit Windows 7 Professional x64 ISO
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-65805/X15-65805.iso

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/11/10/windows-7-iso-x86-and-x64-official-direct-download-links-ultimate-professional-and-home-premium/

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

Games folder is more than worthless. It has worked (or not worked) the same since Vista (ie: it's one of those "not something new in Windows 7" features).

One copy of Guild Wars = 4 guild wars icons ("gw.exe" translates into the three campaigns and expansion as separate games for some reason).

Game titles are almost hard-coded (you have to edit the Registry to change them!). So instead of games like "Neverwinter Nights", you end up with "Atari's(R) NeverWinter Nights(TM) Diamond Edition(TM) Game" plus icons for all of its expansions as well.

It uses mixed-case for some game names. Instead of "World of Warcraft" (as Blizzard writes it), it uses "World of WarCraft". You can't rename it unless you edit the registry (or Hide the icon and create another).

Some game installers won't make a program folder for the game on the Start Menu, and will instead only add the game (with its long/hosed up name) to the Games folder.

You also end up with generic "requirements" listed like a "2" for the Windows Experience index. So a demanding 3D online game may list "2", and a simple 2D chess game may list "2" as well, even though real requirements are no-where near each other for the games. Or a game may list a "1"... Where everything from a Core 2 Duo system to a Pentium III system may all have a "1" because of some weird driver issue.
The thing that confused me the most were the "unspecified" games. What does "unspecified" mean? Why does clicking on them do nothing? Why can't I delete them? Why is this mentioned nowhere in the documentation or the Microsoft website? It boggles me how Microsoft finally got so many things right with Win7 but for some reason shipped a feature as broken as this, especially when the OS is definitely not any worse off without it. I just wasted a lot of time trying to figure out how it works, only to discover that it doesn't.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

Assuming Borderlands was anywhere on your Start Menu, typing "border" would start it just fine if the Games Explorer folder never had existed.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I bought a new computer a month or so ago, and while I thought I'd be getting 64bit Windows 7 I was actually given 32. I only have 4gigs of ram so I'm not missing out on a lot of potential memory but I was wondering what the process would be if I ever wanted to upgrade to 64. I don't imagine it'd just install over the top but I'd love to be wrong to avoid all the installations and customisations etc I have done.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

It would be kind of nice to be able to browse a list of all of my games without opening steam and a bunch of folders.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

spanky the dolphin posted:

I bought a new computer a month or so ago, and while I thought I'd be getting 64bit Windows 7 I was actually given 32. I only have 4gigs of ram so I'm not missing out on a lot of potential memory but I was wondering what the process would be if I ever wanted to upgrade to 64. I don't imagine it'd just install over the top but I'd love to be wrong to avoid all the installations and customisations etc I have done.
Nope, you can't do an upgrade install from 32-bit to 64-bit.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Is it possible to change the start menu to default to listing all programs? Since the most used programs list doesn't seem to list items pinned to the taskbar, the all programs list is the only reason I use the start menu.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Xenomorph posted:

Assuming Borderlands was anywhere on your Start Menu, typing "border" would start it just fine if the Games Explorer folder never had existed.

Yeah, that's what I just said.

But anyway, it sounds like people are interested in having a feature that I don't see a need for. I didn't realize people kept enough games installed to need a centralized list. After I beat a game, I uninstall it, and I only play one multiplayer game at a time. That's cool, though...people like a lot of things I don't like and vice versa.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, that's what I just said.

But anyway, it sounds like people are interested in having a feature that I don't see a need for. I didn't realize people kept enough games installed to need a centralized list. After I beat a game, I uninstall it, and I only play one multiplayer game at a time. That's cool, though...people like a lot of things I don't like and vice versa.

Steam works as my Games Explorer, so I just use it.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I'm using AVG and Comodo Firewall on Vista right now. When I move to 7, is it worth reinstalling them or are Windows' antivirus and firewall all right?

T.K.
Dec 25, 2009

shenanigans upon 1000 equally unprecedented shenanigans

Casao posted:

Steam works as my Games Explorer, so I just use it.

Now if they would just let you launch games without having to go through steam for no good reason.

Case in point: Killing floor.

If you browse through the folder hierarchy, you find normal, standard EXEs which when run, start the game as they should with no bull.

But no. If I try to use the shortcuts provided (and I have steam set to NOT start when my computer does, thank-you-very-loving-much), I get to wait a good two minutes for steam to log in, fail since i'm not near an access point, etc. Just launch the freaking game. Is that so hard?

</rage>

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

tzirean posted:

I'm using AVG and Comodo Firewall on Vista right now. When I move to 7, is it worth reinstalling them or are Windows' antivirus and firewall all right?

Assuming by Windows antivirus you mean MSE, then yes. And Windows firewall has been all right since XP SP3.

Never Scroll
Aug 15, 2008

Can I use a digital river iso with my lenovo laptop oem key for a clean install? (on the laptop if it matters)

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Assuming by Windows antivirus you mean MSE, then yes. And Windows firewall has been all right since XP SP3.

Ha, I actually had to Google MSE. I'm really out of the loop on the whole "trusting Microsoft's security" thing. Thanks.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Killgasm posted:

Can I use a digital river iso with my lenovo laptop oem key for a clean install? (on the laptop if it matters)

Yes.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've started using remote desktop to control my HTPC when I need to make some changes, which is great.

What is not great is that after I log out, it boots me back to the main login screen, so I have to get up and go to the computer to log back in.

Any way to have it automatically log in after my remote desktop session is done? I tried turning on the automatic login option in the control panel, but that only seems to effect the initial boot-up.

I suppose I could use a different user account to do remote desktop, but I'm worried some changes I make then wouldn't show up for my HTPC account.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Strict 9 posted:

I've started using remote desktop to control my HTPC when I need to make some changes, which is great.

What is not great is that after I log out, it boots me back to the main login screen, so I have to get up and go to the computer to log back in.

Any way to have it automatically log in after my remote desktop session is done? I tried turning on the automatic login option in the control panel, but that only seems to effect the initial boot-up.

I suppose I could use a different user account to do remote desktop, but I'm worried some changes I make then wouldn't show up for my HTPC account.

Thanks.

There are some workarounds that aren't that easy, but honestly the best thing to do is just use VNC.

Or, if you have a remote you use with your HTPC you can just hit the OK button or enter button and it logs you right in.