Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
I fixed my horn. Woo! Okay so the relay was bad and it so happens that one of the relays I yanked out of a junked 924S looked basically exactly the same except it was a different manufacturer and the fuse on it was 12 amps instead of 8 but on the test fit it worked good and it really only needs to be there to pass inspection.

Next stop, have my muffler welded back on, and sweet, sweet legality will once again be mine upon those snarled and congested roads of northern Virginia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

CornHolio posted:

My overflow tank filler (what gets low) and my radiator cap are one and the same. (Not my pictures)

I haven't seen any leaks anywhere... odd... could it be seeming into the crankcase at extremely cold temperatures only to evaporate when the engine hits operating temperature?

Another vote for looking at the heater core. Does your heat smell like coolant at all? For something a little more accessible to check, you could also take a look at the small-diameter hose running from the top of the tank under the plastic cover to the radiator. These can sometimes develop little pinholes, but you'll never see them because the entire hose is hidden and the leak isn't big enough to spill out and become visible. This is an issue that sometimes crops up with the 8 series, but it looks like your car uses the same expansion tank setup (assumably with the same hidden hose).

One thing you may definitely want to do as PM - if your expansion tank is yellowish semi-translucent plastic (as the one in the pic appears), there is an updated one (black) available from BMW for about $100. Seems that the yellowish one likes to violently explode without warning once it gets a few years on it. Not a good thing for an aluminum (or any) engine to instantly lose its cooling system on the expressway - which is where this is most likely to happen, since that is when the engine is generating the most heat and your cooling system is working the hardest. If it goes at a bad time, you have an excellent chance of cooking your motor before you even realize something's wrong.

Doctor Bud
Jul 25, 2008

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
New Nitto Neo-Gen's all around courtesy of Tire Kingdom due to their inability to get poo poo right the first time. Paid for by them as well.

Next up, replace bushings, shocks, spark plugs, and a few interior bits.

Later, find a new replacement front left fender to replace the one the sumbitch who attempted to hit-and-run me on a suspended license with no insurance decided to crush with his brand-loving new F350-dually. And you wonder why I have a custom title still? gently caress people.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads

Black88GTA posted:

One thing you may definitely want to do as PM - if your expansion tank is yelowish semi-translucent plastic (as the one in the pic appears), there is an updated one (black) available from BMW for about $100. Seems that the yellowish one likes to violently explode without warning once it gets a few years on it...

The black ones blow up as well. (Well, they crack or split at least. Blowing-up sounds cooler though). It's more about age and heat cycles than color. Plastic just doesn't last forever, especially around hot pressurized coolant.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Black88GTA posted:

Another vote for looking at the heater core. Does your heat smell like coolant at all? For something a little more accessible to check, you could also take a look at the small-diameter hose running from the top of the tank under the plastic cover to the radiator. These can sometimes develop little pinholes, but you'll never see them because the entire hose is hidden and the leak isn't big enough to spill out and become visible. This is an issue that sometimes crops up with the 8 series, but it looks like your car uses the same expansion tank setup (assumably with the same hidden hose).

One thing you may definitely want to do as PM - if your expansion tank is yellowish semi-translucent plastic (as the one in the pic appears), there is an updated one (black) available from BMW for about $100. Seems that the yellowish one likes to violently explode without warning once it gets a few years on it. Not a good thing for an aluminum (or any) engine to instantly lose its cooling system on the expressway - which is where this is most likely to happen, since that is when the engine is generating the most heat and your cooling system is working the hardest. If it goes at a bad time, you have an excellent chance of cooking your motor before you even realize something's wrong.

The expansion tank was replaced just last year. My heater doesn't smell like coolant but I'll poke around and look for any coolant buildup anywhere. I'll also check the hoses and stuff, though all the hoses were also replaced last year. Thanks!

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
It wasn't my car, but on Saturday I helped my sister and her husband decide on a used car to buy.

They ended up getting a 1999 Nissan Maxima GXE five-speed with about 170k miles on it for $2200. The car has aftermarket wheels and a Fidanza flywheel. The previous owner was a very meticulous type, a pharmacist by trade. The car is very clean and the drivetrain is strong.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

PBCrunch posted:

It wasn't my car, but on Saturday I helped my sister and her husband decide on a used car to buy.

They ended up getting a 1999 Nissan Maxima GXE five-speed with about 170k miles on it for $2200. The car has aftermarket wheels and a Fidanza flywheel. The previous owner was a very meticulous type, a pharmacist by trade. The car is very clean and the drivetrain is strong.

Check all the usual suspect areas for any "trade goods" he may have forgotten... :drugnerd:

Sponge! fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 15, 2009

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

PBCrunch posted:

Man that sounds like a deal. I was trying to get my wife to look at Maxima 5-speeds when we were car-shopping earlier this year but they were hard to find in good condition and she didn't like the look anyway.

That VQ should run until the end of time. And awhile after that I would imagine.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Replaced the thermostat.

Old & busted, new hotness.

BUT. On my way to my friend's house to do this, the yellow "engine" light came on. I thought "meh, it's just because the engine is cold, I didn't warm it up long enough before I started driving, and the temperature gauge is wobbling around every time I slow down for an intersection". We swapped the thermostats (surprisingly easy, the hardest thing was driving up onto his ramps), then I parked it on the street. I was sitting there letting it idle for about 3 minutes, then went inside. It was surging a little, running between about 1200 and 1800 rpm, but calmed down after a couple of minutes. Again, I'm thinking cold engine means some odd behaviour until it warms up.

Driving home, the "engine" light came on again. Crap. Good news: temperature gauge now behaves like it should, though even with the new t-stat and the large pieces of cardboard I wedged in front of the radiator, at any speed above 80 km/h the needle goes down, I guess my car is still overcooling. The light came on after the needle dipped below the C mark as I accelerated on a highway, the temperature slowly rose to just over the C after that. So I'm thinking the engine light reacts to too-fast changes in the temp gauge, but why it's only started doing that tonight is beyond me.

650 km drive tomorrow, hope I don't die. '88 Honda Prelude 2.0Si and it's about -10*C (about 14*F) out there.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

ExecuDork posted:

Replaced the thermostat.

Old & busted, new hotness.

BUT. On my way to my friend's house to do this, the yellow "engine" light came on. I thought "meh, it's just because the engine is cold, I didn't warm it up long enough before I started driving, and the temperature gauge is wobbling around every time I slow down for an intersection". We swapped the thermostats (surprisingly easy, the hardest thing was driving up onto his ramps), then I parked it on the street. I was sitting there letting it idle for about 3 minutes, then went inside. It was surging a little, running between about 1200 and 1800 rpm, but calmed down after a couple of minutes. Again, I'm thinking cold engine means some odd behaviour until it warms up.

Driving home, the "engine" light came on again. Crap. Good news: temperature gauge now behaves like it should, though even with the new t-stat and the large pieces of cardboard I wedged in front of the radiator, at any speed above 80 km/h the needle goes down, I guess my car is still overcooling. The light came on after the needle dipped below the C mark as I accelerated on a highway, the temperature slowly rose to just over the C after that. So I'm thinking the engine light reacts to too-fast changes in the temp gauge, but why it's only started doing that tonight is beyond me.

650 km drive tomorrow, hope I don't die. '88 Honda Prelude 2.0Si and it's about -10*C (about 14*F) out there.

Pull the carpet in the passenger floor and read out the blink codes.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
:siren: Hey, my engine isn't turning over when I turn the key! :siren:
Oh man, this is going to be an expensive visit to the BMW guy. :smith:

And what the hell is up with that funny looking button where my cigarette lighter should be?!

:v:

My Flickr Page! :nws:

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I (with the help of some of my family) replaced the five wheel studs on the rear driver's side wheel on my Neon after I somehow managed to shear three of them off on my way home from work.

I drove 2 miles on two wheel studs, which were right next to each other. :psyboom:

Needed the studs, five new lugnuts, a new wheel, and I had the tire remounted and balanced.

When we trailered my car to my uncle's shop, it broke through the trailer. We fixed the hole in the wooden floor, but I broke through it again on the way off the trailer.

What should have taken 30 minutes ended up taking 8 hours.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Cut up the remants of the chassis that the donor motor for the lux came from...

And had the 9" grinder jam and flick into my face :(

Motherfucking OW!

The cut doesnt hurt, the loving 5kg grinder to the face did... gotta love codine!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Threw some Dunlops on my car today.

It's state inspection time and this time the guy said I'd have to perfunctorily address the metal sticking out of the front of my car. He said he'd let me go with tennis balls popped on top of the metal.

Also took the piggyback chip off my ECU, which in the Focus in located here:

Thanks to no interior in the way, I skipped about 80% of the steps.

The chip is an old SCT Red unit, which is from the era just before they figured out flashing the EEC-Vs. I know it was making some difference, because the engine response to throttle tip-in is now garbage. But what I'm really hoping for is that the stock ECU now talks to Massachusetts' OBD scan test correctly. Something was blocking all readouts of O2 and cat performance, which caused my emissions to get rejected by default. The shop has to follow up with the RMV, too, since the test was emailed or uploaded straight to them, with no chance for me to fix it and come back to the shop.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

kimbo305 posted:

Threw some Dunlops on my car today.

It's state inspection time and this time the guy said I'd have to perfunctorily address the metal sticking out of the front of my car. He said he'd let me go with tennis balls popped on top of the metal.
Why is there metal sticking out the front of your car? :black101:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

Why is there metal sticking out the front of your car? :black101:

supports for the rally lights, and a tow hook.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
Oil change with Penrite HPR10, a mad tyte JDM Drift magnetic oil filter, and a new air filter.

Not bad for a hot afternoon's work.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Put more coolant in. I hope this doesn't turn into a weekly occurrence. I've been looking for leaks but haven't found anything obvious yet.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Not yet, but I'm going to stop by Wamsutta's place after work and borrow his scangauge because if a new IACV didn't fix the bouncing idle and it's not a vacuum leak, it's probably the TPS. Hopefully tonight I'll post "I finally fixed my stupid car after 3 months!"

kill me now posted:

Test fit next years track wheels and took some very blue pictures

18x9.5 and 18x10.5 RPF1's with 285/35/18 and 305/35/18 555r2's
Drops 62 lbs of rotational weight compared to the stock wheels with 275/40/20's and adds quite a bit more and stickier rubber.
Your white balance is set to "indoors" :argh:

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009
Installed a new matching wood grain shift knob:

Badged my front caliper covers:

Also, I installed chrome door handle covers, but I haven't figured out how to take a picture of them so you can actually see them!

Doctor Bud
Jul 25, 2008

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Mr.Peabody posted:

Badged my front caliper covers:

Also, I installed chrome door handle covers, but I haven't figured out how to take a picture of them so you can actually see them!

No offense but I don't think the first picture really captures the level of classy that probably contains. Looks kinda muddy and crappy, no offense. Congrats though, Carlsson makes some fantastic things!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

It was the first weekend day in several weeks that it didn't rain or snow.

- About 2 years ago I had bought replacement headlight housings off of eBay. They didn't really fit well and had a weird light pattern, but it was better than the clouded old original lights. Last year I had restored the corroded ones, and finally today I put them back in. Gonna sell the other ones on Craigslist or something.

- Changed oil.

- Wire brushed rusty areas on my sub frame. Cleaned it all off and spray painted it with rustoleum.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

GWBBQ posted:

Your white balance is set to "indoors" :argh:

I know, but i wasnt putting the wheels back on to get pictures with the correct color balance. I only took the pics initially to give some other srt8 owners an idea of the clearances they would have if they went with that size tire/wheel for the track.

Lancek
May 31, 2007
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Mr.Peabody posted:

I'm not trying to bag on your car or anything I'm just genuinely curious about something, but your shift lever looks like an automatic yet it has the shifter boot traditionally associated with a manual transmission to me.

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande
Got a "FOG LAMP FAILURE" when doing my monthly testing of the 2K before the 'lets go in the snow and do donuts today :haw: ) winter weekend; tested the juice, was fine. Replaced the bulbs and reaimed the highbeams (H7 woo) so the left one wasn't slightly wonky - again. Expoxied together the fusebox cover on the driver's side door and 'fixed' the broken driver seat control with a couple of metal brackets to hold it to the seat frame.

Frankensaab is happy again - other than the half-dead-pixels SID and driver's side asswarmer switch that I haven't bothered to replace yet.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cablekid posted:

I'm not trying to bag on your car or anything I'm just genuinely curious about something, but your shift lever looks like an automatic yet it has the shifter boot traditionally associated with a manual transmission to me.

Some cars put a boot around their automatic shifters. No big deal.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Flushed brake fluid and rotated the tyres on my beater.

Checked all the boots and bushes while it was in the air, all good as new. I loving love this car.

Edit: watched my brother and sister wash it for me

Scuzzy
May 12, 2001

I <3 Ayanami,
omg anime fag
Spent three hours disconnecting everything in the engine bay of my Sera in preparation for engine removal. All that's left is the CV's and three engine mounts and it's good to go. Need to re-build the motor sadly, 20 years has finally caught up with it and nice noises are coming from the bottom and top end.

Once it's re-build with lower compression pistons, the plan is to throw a TD04L turbo on it from a WRX and throw in a water to air inter cooler and some other bits that I haven't quite figured out yet.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Pulled the big lightforces off and stripped the HID kits out of them.

New 55W HID's go in tomorrow! :D

And she looks wierd without its spotlights. :(

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I treated the rubber boots on my doors with WD-40 and sprayed some lithium grease in my lock cylinders. Hopefully the car is not so grumpy in the cold now.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
Started wetsanding the 320i. I still have two more grits left, not looking forward to it.

Kindridx
Dec 26, 2007

by Ozma
Put on car seat covers which I got from Goodwill for $3 and were brand new. Put on vent visors. Gave my car a wax and cleaning. Filled up windshield washer fluid.

Nothing mechanical :D but I sure do like looking at my baby, to bad its gotta be driven in the snow tomorrow :(

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Cablekid posted:

It's the Mercedes 7G-Tronic transmission.

To note, today I added the matching steering wheel.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Washed it, only to have the loving birds poo poo all over it again moments later.

Also refinished my mom's headlights so she can see at night. They're good enough for now (they throw light fine), but the perfectionist in me wants to go back and wetsand them with a couple more grits so they look nicer.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

Mr.Peabody posted:

That is the coolest steering wheel ever made. Interior looks awesome. I figured it would have more chrome and aluminum in it for some reason.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

Mr.Peabody posted:

Normally I detest wood in cars, but I like that a whole lot.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I managed to put a new battery in my brother's Accord backwards (it was dark) and on the way home from loving that up the timing belt on my 1998 Ford ZX2 jumped a tooth.

Edit: I replaced the main fuse in the fuse box of the Accord and everything is peachy. In the last week I have fixed both of my brother's beat up Hondas (95 Integra & 92 Accord).

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 5, 2010

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

DogDodger posted:

Normally I detest wood in cars, but I like that a whole lot.

Thanks, I was definitely cautious about it. I've been doing the wood one piece at a time and seeing how it blends and balances. The steering wheel I really couldn't do anything wrong, because the original wheel is the most boring and uninspired circle I've ever seen.

Next, I'm going to swap out the vent panels for wood, and to finish I'm having the rest of the interior wrapped in black leather with silver stitching. I'm hoping it turns out as nice as I'm imagining it!

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

VibrioCholera posted:

That is the coolest steering wheel ever made. Interior looks awesome. I figured it would have more chrome and aluminum in it for some reason.

Thanks, I was considering an aluminum nub for the bottom of the middle spoke, but went with this instead.The star in the center of the wheel is chrome, but it didn't reflect from this angle so you might not have noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zamin
Jan 9, 2004
Replaced the driveaxles on my 88 Accord. When I bought the car over a year and a half ago, the CVJ boots were torn up, and recently they started clicking very loudly during turns. Between this and the timing belt that I'm going to change fairly soon, it shouldn't need any major maintenance for another 100k miles or so, unless something really hosed up and out of the blue comes up.

FYI, popping the steering knuckle ball joint out of the lower control arm of a car that probably hasn't had it removed in over 2 decades is a giant pain in the rear end.