Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Iron Squid posted:

Would some of you guys (PV and Yog, I'm looking at you) post a tutorial on basic painting, say and Ork or Space Marine. My first model doesn't look very good, and I'd love to see the techniques you guys use to make models look so goddamn awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yITRhnATlCw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Does anyone here use a specific lighting setup to paint under?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Iron Squid posted:

Would some of you guys (PV and Yog, I'm looking at you) post a tutorial on basic painting, say and Ork or Space Marine. My first model doesn't look very good, and I'd love to see the techniques you guys use to make models look so goddamn awesome.

youtube has a bunch of better tutorials than I can make, since I have no vid camera because Im a plebian

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Every year I and some frends see a nightmare before christmas by tim burton as a chrismas tradisjon. And every time we say that it would be realy cool to make a punking king army!

How about it? We could use the nurge-deamon prince and mod his head and paint his body and his newly modded head as a pumpking. Regular Marines and and terminators can have pumkings for head. A dreadnought could be a giant pumpking with legs and claws and cannon. You could have a hero that rides a bike and has a cut of pumpking (his head!) in his hands.

What do you think? And would it be doable? :-)

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I don't care where that came from, I just hope it's not a native english speaker, because that was pretty pathetic.

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Fyrbrand posted:

Every year I and some frends see a nightmare before christmas by tim burton as a chrismas tradisjon. And every time we say that it would be realy cool to make a punking king army!

How about it? We could use the nurge-deamon prince and mod his head and paint his body and his newly modded head as a pumpking. Regular Marines and and terminators can have pumkings for head. A dreadnought could be a giant pumpking with legs and claws and cannon. You could have a hero that rides a bike and has a cut of pumpking (his head!) in his hands.

What do you think? And would it be doable? :-)

TG Discussion: Chrimas Tradisjon - Pumpkin King Army

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
So which of these sealers should I buy? Testor's Dullcote or Glosscote? Or both?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

So which of these sealers should I buy? Testor's Dullcote or Glosscote? Or both?

Get both- seal with glosscote for protection, then will dullcoat to kill the shine. Dullcote alone isn't that great. Buy at a 2-1 or 3-1 ratio of dull to gloss: in my experience it takes 2 or 3 coats with dull to really kill the shine.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Something of a dumb question but this is new for me what is the purpose of the foundation paints GW has?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

They're supposed to cover way better than normal paints, letting you build up difficult colours much faster.

Also, some of them are great for clearing out the sinuses, because they smell loving awful.

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Why doesn't GW just make *all* their paint Foundation Paints?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

PaintVagrant posted:

youtube has a bunch of better tutorials than I can make, since I have no vid camera because Im a plebian

How would you, say, highlight black power armor

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Iron Squid posted:

Why doesn't GW just make *all* their paint Foundation Paints?

Because some paints have very expensive pigments and making foundation versions of them would cost like 10+ bux a pot

If you notice most foundation paints look and smell like housepaints, thats not a coincidence

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

The Saddest Robot posted:

I couldn't get to sleep on Sunday night and decided to finally get around to the babyphant conversion of a carnifex that I 'started' 3 years ago. 'Started' consisted of cutting off a single hoof on one of the fex's feet and putting everything back in the box. After a night of frenzied chopping, sawing and clipping I ended up with this at 5am. It was originally inspired by Moloch's babyphant on his website but I decided I wanted something more spindly.

Here he is pre-greenstuff with a paint-test guant for scale. I'm pretty happy with him now, the breakthrough for me was when I decided that I needed to extend the first joint of his arms and the 2nd joint of his legs and then everything came together the way I envisioned it.

What's left (aside from the obvious greenstuff in the joints) is to figure out how I am going to curve it's tail under the body and to create some ball sockets for the weapons closer to the underside of it's body. I might also do some work to it's head/neck so I can get it to point forward instead of down.

Simple Green is awesome... for metal models. Paint and primer slides right off. The primer on my plastic models stubbornly refuses to come off and I use my toothbrush so much that I am worried about wearing down the plastic :(

Scything talons as fex legs looks dumb because they weigh 14 tons and the talons are super thin. They have hooves because nothing else can hold them up.

Either the talons would snap or they'd just sink into the ground.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

You heard him! Slap some hooves on those scything talons! Giant psychic space bugs don't make sense any other way. :colbert:

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Broken Loose posted:

Scything talons as fex legs looks dumb because they weigh 14 tons and the talons are super thin. They have hooves because nothing else can hold them up.

And there's :supaburn::siren:only four limbs:siren::supaburn:

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Broken Loose posted:

Giant spiderbeasts with spiked tarsi are a classic sci-fi element for a reason: they look awesome.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Crossposting from the Firestorm thread. If anyone ever feels the need to go crazy with the freehand on your starships, then I suggest trying your hand at some Aztecing:

Go from this:

Click here for the full 800x335 image.

To this:

Click here for the full 800x1280 image.

Full instructions here:
http://theminiaturespage.com/workbench/702458/

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Been busy for what used to be the GBS thread. Crossposting without remorse, since I'm pretty happy.

Looks nice. People who don't play the game will look at it and say "Wow, this is what Christmas in WWI looked like!"

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

How do I paint rope and gray hair

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate
crosspostin!

Welp, the carriage, common parts and all the bell assemblies are done, so I've got a fully painted screaming bell :D

Think I'll take a break on some slaves or jezzails before i round out the plague furnace components and base. I'm so very pleased with the way this came out, paintwise and with the magnetizing. Looks gorgeous sitting on my table, now to spray all the painted bits with sealant so they dont lose paint on the edges from all the assembly handling.

regarding painting tutorials, videos are definitely the way to go, theres many good free resources available. Much better than text descriptions (in my day it was dr fausts painting clinic and whatever random articles i could find). That said, practice will get you further than any tutorial. Here's a pic of a clanrat from the first box of miniatures I ever painted, and another clanrat a couple of years later, compared to what I'm painting now, another 6 or so years down the track. Practice practice practice :)

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

crime fighting hog posted:

How do I paint rope and gray hair

Rope: Calthan base, Snakebite 1st highlight, Snakebite/Khaki 2nd highlight

Grey Hair: Codex -> Fortress (maybe the other way around I forget which is darker) -> Fortress/White Mix

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Nice. Last bit: How do I paint wood

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Been busy for what used to be the GBS thread. Crossposting without remorse, since I'm pretty happy.

Love it. Will you be changing your avatar, or is the nurgle snowman going to stay? :)

Z the IVth posted:

That's crazy. You're crazy. I can't view your tutorial though, because for some reason the font size is all kinds of hosed up. I can only fit 4 letters on a screen even when zoomed out all the way. :(

Aranan fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 24, 2009

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

And there's :supaburn::siren:only four limbs:siren::supaburn:

well gee i'm sorry for telling somebody his stuff looked gay in a thread about showing off our stuff and telling each other what it looks like

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

You would hate the biotitan that the conversion is based on then. It makes just as little sense because it would weigh several hundred (or thousands?) of tons more and all of its weight is still directed to those four tips.

You're right that it makes no sense as an effective means of movement but I'm trying to adhere to the visual look of the titan.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
and if you had asked if i didn't like the legs on the heirophant, i would answer, "no, I do not like the legs on the official fw heirophant model for the same reason."

i gave an opinion and my reasoning for my opinion. you guys need to take a chill pill

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Yog-Sothoth posted:

crosspostin!

Welp, the carriage, common parts and all the bell assemblies are done, so I've got a fully painted screaming bell :D

This is pretty nice. I really like the brass of the bell itself and the contrasts between the stone colours and the bright warp-fire and skaven.

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Should I fully assemble my Chaos Space Marines, or paint them first, then assemble? I know with some of the Space Marines I put together, the arm would be right against the chest which is going to make it really hard to paint the detail on the chest. Also, I'll prime my Chaos Space Marines black and then go over the armor with Menechite Red, to make them look like Red Corsairs. Should I use a different shade of black or is the Chaos Black primer coat good enough?

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
If chaos marines are anything like loyalist marines you can do what I did. I just assembled everything but bolters and backpacks. I got pretty good results doing that.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

Yog-Sothoth posted:

sweet screaming bell

I love the rat standing on top of the bell. Very cool model overall and you did a great job painting it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fyrbrand posted:

Bonus nurglesque action shot:

What does this stuff do to resin and would it be safe to, say, stick Armorcast parts in it. I'm going to be coming into possession of some Titans and I'll want to strip the paint from them, but if it's not safe to do with simple green or LA's then I don't know what the gently caress

Dawww, this is so adorable. It's such a wonderful juxtaposition of a typical diorama. :3:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

What does this stuff do to resin and would it be safe to, say, stick Armorcast parts in it. I'm going to be coming into possession of some Titans and I'll want to strip the paint from them, but if it's not safe to do with simple green or LA's then I don't know what the gently caress

I didn't notice anything when I threw some green stuff scraps in mine but I'm really not sure.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Yog-Sothoth posted:

Screaming Bell
My only nitpick is just that the wood doesn't seperate colourwise from the stone enough. It's too weatherworn for my taste.

Yog-Sothoth posted:

What the hell happened that Clanrats turned into weird, short, monkey-proportioned dudes with no armor?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

If your talking about the armorcast ones they can take a lot of abuse, I striped the ones I have now with DOT 3 Brake fluid when I got them so I think simple green or LA's should be perfectly safe.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I know the gold looks like rear end but I don't want to repaint it all. Maybe a darker wash over it would work? I need to work on taking better pictures. I've read the tutorials, I just need practice. Overall, I'm really happy with how this is coming out. It looks good on the table.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Honestly it needs some light more than making it darker. Highlight with a silver-ish color?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

bhsman posted:

Honestly it needs some light more than making it darker. Highlight with a silver-ish color?

Yeah Gold has a lot of luster to it.

As a fellow menite though I do love the color scheme.

Don't mean to step on your coat tails but here's what I did:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 24, 2009

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Lightening the gold seems like the answer but I don't want to use pure silver. I've got Shining Gold on there now, can I lighten it with a lighter gold? What about mixing something (silver?) in with the gold I have for a lighter gold? Highlight silver then sepia wash? I hate metallics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

GoodBee posted:

Lightening the gold seems like the answer but I don't want to use pure silver. I've got Shining Gold on there now, can I lighten it with a lighter gold? What about mixing something (silver?) in with the gold I have for a lighter gold? Highlight silver then sepia wash? I hate metallics.

Shining gold + Mithril silver = :circlefap:

• Locked thread