Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm so glad your cat is home Gilf Hunter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

GILF Hunter posted:

Went to the vet today with my injured cat. Basically, he has some sort of burn or abrasion on the bottom of his foot. It's weird how it's only on one foot. They weren't sure just exactly what it was since cats don't talk.

They said the biggest pad and maybe some of the digits might fall off (like a fingernail) in the next few days, and would heal in a few weeks time. They cleaned up the would real good, gave him some sort of antibiotic injection that lasts two weeks (as opposed to force-feeding him pills), and I have a few days worth of painkillers as well. They said his temperature was "on the high side of normal", but his lymph nodes were okay, so he probably didn't have a fever or anything, especially since he's been eating just fine. Other than that, he's in tip-top shape, aside from being a little stressed out.

I'm so glad he's okay. :) I love my kitty.

That said, I wandered into Petsmart today, since it's attached to the Banfield, and they had a bunch of different local pet adoption organizations there. There was a grey cat there who looked *identical* to my Wheezy. The striping as exactly the same, even down to the markings on his face and the color of his eyes and nose. Seriously, like a long lost sibling or something If it wasn't for that fact that I already have two cats and a dog, and I'm a student, I probably would have scooped him up right there. Poor little guy didn't even have a nametag on his cage or anything, so no one was even looking at him. I would give him a home in an instant. Sigh.

So he's going to lose toes or the skin is just going to come off and regrow? :ohdear:

Thank goodness you took him to the vet, sounds like a pretty bad injury. Maybe he approached some sort of warm machine when he was outside and got too close or stepped on the wrong part.

never look at the shelter kitties unless you are looking for a new cat its too sad :(

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe he stepped in water then on ice also? he was outside for awhile. i don't know what it's like where you are but it's been pretty lovely here.

Yuriki
Mar 27, 2004

Who the hell do you think I am?

madlilnerd posted:

gently caress our kitten has started peeing in the corner of the lounge.

Has your kitten used the litter box before? If it's not a medical issue then you need to put the little one in a litter box and rub her paws into the litter nicely to show that she can dig into it. I think that's in the OP.

quote:

This whole getting a new kitten thing is causing a lot of friction in our house, actually :(. Everyone seems to disagree on what's best for her. They keep shouting at her for climbing on the worktops and the sofa and everything and then I pointed out that she didn't have anything to climb and got the response "yeah, well we took her out in the garden yesterday and she didn't seem very interested in climbing trees!" Whenever Zero bites me it's always "oh well you shouldn't pick her up so much" but when she bites or scratches my mum or dad it's never their fault she's just a bad cat.

My kitten would bite the poo poo out of me when I first got him, but if you follow the advice in the OP and yelp at her and leave her alone then she'll get the hang of it. Kittens bite, they're going to do it, and they're not bad kittens for it. You just have to teach them that it's not OK and it hurts you.

Kittens are assholes and will climb and sit on everything. It's a ritual now to gently pick Oreo up and put him in the floor then wash my hands multiple times while cooking. It's just a fact of life.

GILF Hunter
Dec 3, 2005

Chairman Meow
leads us forward!

HondaCivet posted:

So he's going to lose toes or the skin is just going to come off and regrow? :ohdear:

Thank goodness you took him to the vet, sounds like a pretty bad injury. Maybe he approached some sort of warm machine when he was outside and got too close or stepped on the wrong part.

never look at the shelter kitties unless you are looking for a new cat its too sad :(

The skin is going to come off and regrow. The vet described it as "like a injured fingernail". I'm not really sure. The pad doesn't really look THAT bad. One of his toes is blistered pretty good though. Here's a crappy picture if you're curious what it looks like. The big pad (his "palm") is there, it was just hard to get a pic of it without disturbing him too much.

I couldn't NOT look at the shelter kitties today. I had to go buy new cat litter (so the scoop stuff I have now doesn't stick to the injured pad) and it's all the way in the back corner, so I had to navigate the maze of those poor animals. I guess it was too cold outside today, so all the animals were inside. It was pretty crazy. I don't even think I've seen that many animals at our local humane society.

GILF Hunter fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 21, 2009

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Xerin posted:

Has your kitten used the litter box before? If it's not a medical issue then you need to put the little one in a litter box and rub her paws into the litter nicely to show that she can dig into it. I think that's in the OP.

My kitten would bite the poo poo out of me when I first got him, but if you follow the advice in the OP and yelp at her and leave her alone then she'll get the hang of it. Kittens bite, they're going to do it, and they're not bad kittens for it. You just have to teach them that it's not OK and it hurts you.

Kittens are assholes and will climb and sit on everything. It's a ritual now to gently pick Oreo up and put him in the floor then wash my hands multiple times while cooking. It's just a fact of life.

Yeah, we've had her nearly 2 months now and have had no problems with the litter box before, she's been completely fine. This is the second time she's peed in the corner though, my brother said apparently she started mewing and then just went and peed in the corner. Yesterday she did it without any kind of warning.

And I really understand the biting thing. If she bites me I firmly put her down and firmly but not harshly say "NO.". She's started doing this thing now where if you tell her no whilst at her level then she goes for your face with her claws.

Zero is just getting into the real teenage arsehole phase, and is probably sick to death of my family constantly shouting at her. They blow everything into a big deal- if she jumps on the kitchen table, I tend to pick her up and put her on the floor with an accompanying "NO", but my mum just prefers to shout (well, more like screech) at her until she gets down.

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

HondaCivet posted:

Seconding that kitten food isn't necessary as long as you have a good quality high-protein food at hand.

I've heard that adult neutered male cats love to mother kittens, sounds like they weren't lying. :3:

Yeah he is all about cleaning the kitten now, and only every now and then does he get jealous like when there is not enough lap room for him to sit and the kitten :P

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
So nobody is sure about what Lillehammer's weight should actually be. She's 5# and teeny, you can kind of see the shadow of her ribcage from the side, I can feel every vertebra when I pet her back, and her pelvis is a little obvious. Her legs and tail are super long, which kind of adds to the illusion of a skinny cat. My knowledge is all dogs and rats, so I can't really tell if she's just naturally petite or needs a few more ounces on her. (I'd peg her as like a 4 on the chart in the OP.)

I was going to wait about a week to start adding Blue Wilderness in with the Science Diet she was eating at the shelter, but maybe it wouldn't hurt to start early? I'm going to pick up a Cat Dancer and a laser pointer in hopes of getting her heavier exercise, because I'd like her to pack on more muscle than fat.

I'd also like to note that Cat Attract is awesome and she found and used her box within like a minute of coming out of the carrier. Score! :haw:

demozthenes fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 22, 2009

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008
So we're having a bit of trouble with our cats pissing all over our poo poo, and we need some suggestions. Wall of Text ahoy!

Little backstory, we had two litter mate cats originally and then adopted another cat, all were kittens when we got them. My wife's sister moved in with us, and brought three of her own cats(all litter mates). We had major conflicts with two of her cats, so we found a family member to adopt both of them, so we are down to 4 cats...our 3, and one of hers.

We would like to try and not get rid of any more cats(especially not hers, since hers went first last time and that's just mean). One of our cats(Cat A) and her cat(Cat B) dislike each other. Our cat hisses and spits whenever her cat comes within range, and for a while we thought it was just her disliking her presence, but we've caught Cat B walking up and attacking Cat A while A is lounging, sleeping, etc... for seemingly no reason other than her mere presence. Both are females, all cats in the house are spayed/neutered.

We've had a consistent problem with varying cats pissing on our poo poo, namely our clothes. If we toss a shirt at the dirty clothes hamper and miss, 80% of the time we walk back in later to find it pissed on. They are not limited to clothes, they've also pissed on our Christmas skirt within a week of it being put up, and we've found cardboard boxes and even paint-roller trays filled with piss.

This is extremely frustrating to all parties. My wife is pregnant which leaves me and her sister to clean the cat boxes, and her sister isn't home most of the time(sleeps over with her boyfriend) so it's left to me to clean it. Problem is, I'm not home much either when school is up. I could make up excuses forever, but I know I don't clean them as much as I should and they generally get cleaned every 2-3 days. We currently have 4 litter boxes and we use clumping litter.

Short of finding time to clean the litter boxes twice a day, is there anything else we can do to help this problem? We've heard from several people that the cats may be fighting over territory in the house, and is thus pissing on all of our stuff...but they almost always piss on clothing(doesn't matter if it's a jacket on the floor, table, a basket of folded clothes, a basket of dirty clothes, they don't seem to mind where it's at). Should we try switching to another litter? Should we have more/less litter boxes? I have to think it's something besides not cleaning the litter boxes everyday, because I cleaned them last night and woke up this morning to a pair of pajama pants my wife left on the floor before going to work...and thus prompted this post.

We have tried cleaning our clothing with a little bit of XO(some pet odor neutralizer my mom raves about) in the wash(we can try other thing as well), hand scrubbed our carpet in the bedroom with a mixture of diluted XO, moved the litter boxes from all being in a row to two on one end of the basement, and two on the other end. We're willing to try just about anything that we can.

Another (possibly) very important note is that we don't know which cat(s) are peeing. We have at some point spotted every cat we have peeing on something when we had all 6 cats, but have yet to catch any cat peeing since we got rid of the two. We find it whenever we wake up, or whenever we come back from doing something. It could be all or it could be just one. Now that the two cats are gone, two of our cats have chilled out a ton and don't mind the third, but the two females are our first suspects with peeing.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of other things we can try? Is 2-3 days too long for 4 cat boxes? Is this all attributed to our lack of cleaning cat boxes everyday, or is there possibly something else going on? We know which is the next cat to go if it comes to that, and we'd rather not go that route unless necessary...but we have to get this under control.

While I'm posting, I have another situation with another cat. One of my male cats nearly refuses to drink from a water bowl(and only then after I've scrubbed it and put fresh cold water in it). He will instead drink from the shower, toilet, condensation off the window, and he's even bold enough to stick his head/paws into our cups of water when we're not looking! We switched from a plastic bowl to a metal bowl because we read that might cause the problem but he still acts like this. Anything else we can try?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Clean the boxes every day, without fail. Just do it. Consider Cat Attract litter to encourage litter box peeing.

Don't leave cloth on the floor of any type. This is more common of an issue than you think, and it's way easier to break the humans of the habit than it is the cats.

As for the water issue, you might want to try a pet fountain, like the Drinkwell pet fountain. Most cats prefer running water over still water.

edit: I forgot to talk about the dominance thing: female cats are notoriously territorial, and you might find that no matter what you do, you won't be able to stop them from hissing and having spats with each other. However, over time, a lot of female cats will eventually accept each other, if not actually get along. Doing what you can to mitigate the pee problem should help.

Fire In The Disco fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 22, 2009

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

If you need an additional reason to clean the cat boxes more often, you should know that the thing that makes the cat boxes dangerous for your wife, toxoplasmosis, does not become infective in the poop until about 24 hours after the poop leaves the cat. This means that by waiting 2-3 days to scoop you are increasing the risk to your wife.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
^^^ I should have pointed that out. I blame my own pregnancy mind for forgetting it. :(

Yisan
Jul 29, 2003

Strike First...
Strike Hard...
SHOW NO MERCY
Kitty question for all of you.

Got ourselves 2 kitties about 3 months ago. Very very good kitties. Probably the best behaving kitties that I have ever had. (I strongly believe that it's because we got 2 and I endorse getting 2 kitties if you are going to get any)

They are a little over 6 months now, and the question has to do with the litter box. They use it, and use it frequently, but they don't bury their business and when they make the attempt to bury, they scratch at the side walls of the box for about 20 seconds before they eventually give up and move on to other kitty things. I was reading up on this and the only thing I found is that it could be the litter. (we use swheat scoop btw) The box is plenty big enough with no top for kitty pleasure.

any thoughts goons/goonettes?

edit: what do you all use for litter?

while you think, here's some visual aid.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
You could try two litter boxes and/or a change in litter, but honestly? Some cats just don't bury. There's really not much that I've ever been able to find that helps it. Sorry dude. :(

Yisan
Jul 29, 2003

Strike First...
Strike Hard...
SHOW NO MERCY

Fire In The Disco posted:

You could try two litter boxes and/or a change in litter, but honestly? Some cats just don't bury. There's really not much that I've ever been able to find that helps it. Sorry dude. :(

Thats alright! I'm probably going to change the litter once this runs out. It's funny because they try so hard to do so. It's not a huge deal anyways. We scoop the litter at least twice a day anyways.

anywho - feel free to throw some litter recommendations my way. The girlfriend is intent on trying the crystal litter. Any feedback on it?

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

This sounds weird, but have you tried showing them how to do it? You might want to try taking their paws while they're in the litter box and manipulating them in the motions of burying their poop to see if they'll catch on. I'm not a cat owner myself, but I've seen this suggested around PI several times before and the success rate seems reasonable enough that it would be worth a shot.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Yisan posted:

Kitty question for all of you.

Got ourselves 2 kitties about 3 months ago. Very very good kitties. Probably the best behaving kitties that I have ever had. (I strongly believe that it's because we got 2 and I endorse getting 2 kitties if you are going to get any)

They are a little over 6 months now, and the question has to do with the litter box. They use it, and use it frequently, but they don't bury their business and when they make the attempt to bury, they scratch at the side walls of the box for about 20 seconds before they eventually give up and move on to other kitty things. I was reading up on this and the only thing I found is that it could be the litter. (we use swheat scoop btw) The box is plenty big enough with no top for kitty pleasure.

while you think, here's some visual aid.

I have a cat that does this. I tried the previously mentioned sticking-his-paws-in-the-litter thing and it didn't work (not that you shouldn't try it). I've also tried demonstrating in front of him. He's just too dumb I guess. :( His brother buries it for him at least. They are also really young like your cats so I am wondering if he might grow out of it eventually.

I've heard mostly bad things about the crystal-type litter although I can't remember what they are off the top of my head. If you want something flushable like Swheat Scoop you can try World's Best, which is corn instead of wheat-based. Some people love it.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Yisan posted:

Thats alright! I'm probably going to change the litter once this runs out. It's funny because they try so hard to do so. It's not a huge deal anyways. We scoop the litter at least twice a day anyways.

anywho - feel free to throw some litter recommendations my way. The girlfriend is intent on trying the crystal litter. Any feedback on it?

We have a Cat Genie for one litter box (it uses washable plastic "litter"), but in the other box we use Tidy Cats Premium Power Blends. It's low dust and clumps really well. My husband scoops that box and has pretty bad allergies, so the low dust is important to him.

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008
Thanks for the advice, I'll continue to work on cleaning it everyday.

While we're talking about litter box habits I think I'll share a particularly annoying one. One of my male cats loves to dig all the litter out of a corner, fill it with urine, then put a light layer over the top. This causes the entire corner to become a literal caked mess that is extremely difficult to get out and just smells awful. He learned this from one of the cats we got rid of. :argh:

If I clean it everyday it might not be so bad, but it's the one infuriating thing about cleaning the cat boxes. *sigh* Thanks!

Vilthuril
Mar 30, 2004

Yarrbossa posted:

So we're having a bit of trouble with our cats pissing all over our poo poo, and we need some suggestions. Wall of Text ahoy!

I know Feliway is expensive as hell, but I really think you should give it a try for a month or two. Along with the Cat Attract litter.

We used it during our move when our kitties had to be in one room together (older kitty does NOT much like anyone else) and they got a long with almost no fights or peeing incidents.

I'm planning on picking up a couple of refills to help the introduction process along this weekend since we made to mistake of looking at shelter-kitties while at the pet store last weekend!

somethingawesomer
Nov 16, 2005

Yisan posted:

They are a little over 6 months now, and the question has to do with the litter box. They use it, and use it frequently, but they don't bury their business and when they make the attempt to bury, they scratch at the side walls of the box for about 20 seconds before they eventually give up and move on to other kitty things.

Some cats don't bury. I've read that it's because they don't feel threatened in their home, because otherwise they would instinctively bury it to cover their scent.

My cat doesn't bury but I think he's just an rear end in a top hat. His day is way too busy to bother wasting precious seconds covering up his poo poo.

Otherwise, I'd recommend changing the litter type, getting a hooded pan and/or getting a larger one. In that order, not at the same time.

As another note, I'm using Naturvet's calming gel for cats to help my cat acclimate to my new foster, and I really like this stuff. It really calms him down and stops him from being his usual bully self. I think I gave him too much the first time because he acted kind of high though.

somethingawesomer fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 24, 2009

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I have a 4 year old neutered male, a big 12 lb orange boy named Jeep. He's been here for about 3+ years now.

My mother though, has alway wanted a kitten, having always had older cats. So we adopted Roxanne, an 8-week old female.

I went through the motions of introducing them through scent and sound, through the door and all that several days ago. I expected some growling and hissing and good old kitty aggression. But instead, Jeep is actually afraid of Roxanne. He's pissed, but he actually runs away from her like a big old weenie. Today they met face to face a few feet apart. Roxanne was understandably terrified of the orange giant, but Jeep wants nothing more than to run away. So I have two kitties yowling and hissing at one another before running in opposite directions. :sigh:

I've read conflicting stories. When two new cats are faced when one another, do I keep them in the same room for long periods to try and get used to one another and only seperate them if it comes to blows...or do I not press the issue too much and let them flee if they're scared of one another?

I'd really like them to get used to one another. Ideally, maybe even be pals.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Hi. We have a two and a half year old neutered indoor-only tom, and he's been scooting at points throughout the day. He's been a little diarrhea-y (probably from the can of low-sodium tuna we gave to our cats as a kitty christmas present [one for each cat, but tubby here probably got more than his share!]), but otherwise seems healthy and fine.

Now usually when he scoots, it's because his bum's dirty and he needs to clean it, but he's been scooting with out a clean bum and it's just sorta weird. Is this something cats do when they have an irritated bum, or should we be consulting somebody on a more professional level?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I have a 4 year old neutered male, a big 12 lb orange boy named Jeep. He's been here for about 3+ years now.

My mother though, has alway wanted a kitten, having always had older cats. So we adopted Roxanne, an 8-week old female.

I went through the motions of introducing them through scent and sound, through the door and all that several days ago. I expected some growling and hissing and good old kitty aggression. But instead, Jeep is actually afraid of Roxanne. He's pissed, but he actually runs away from her like a big old weenie. Today they met face to face a few feet apart. Roxanne was understandably terrified of the orange giant, but Jeep wants nothing more than to run away. So I have two kitties yowling and hissing at one another before running in opposite directions. :sigh:

I've read conflicting stories. When two new cats are faced when one another, do I keep them in the same room for long periods to try and get used to one another and only seperate them if it comes to blows...or do I not press the issue too much and let them flee if they're scared of one another?

I'd really like them to get used to one another. Ideally, maybe even be pals.

How long has this been going on? Unless it's been months and months, I'd just give it more time. I know it takes awhile for the cats to establish a social understanding between themselves, so as long as they aren't murdering each other, they are probably still just working things out.

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.
I'm close to losing my poo poo over this kitten. Here's my situation:

My mom moved into a new apartment complex and these two kittens were playing around the area and she saw them all the time and started to feed them. They were obviously homeless and started to follow her into her place. Eventually she took them in. We also figured out that they are brother and sister because they stick together and were the same age/size when she found them, so they must be from the same litter. My mom has got them check ups with a local vet, and has been training them and feeding them well and properly. They are probably around 6 months old now if I had to guess. Not spayed/neutered yet, but in a week or so they will be. There is another cat in the house that we've had in the family for about 15 years. He's slow, skinny, and has been depressed and anorexic for many years now, but that's a whole other thing.

The problem with these cats is that the male meows like a banshee at night. They play fight and run around and stuff but are generally well-behaved, chill, and nice to have around. But at night, the male goes ballistic with his meowing, it's impossible to sleep. We don't know what he is meowing about. He has food, the liter box (two of them) are cleaned before we go to bed, he has some toys laying around, the doors are open so he can run around the house freely. We also leave a light on and the tv on. Literally nothing changes between night and day except for humans being asleep. His meowing is only at night time and it's impossible to sleep more than 10 minutes in a row without him screaming.

His sister doesn't make a sound. What the hell do we do about this. I don't know if it's also worth mentioning that the male kitten idolizes our older cat, in that he goes where he goes (though he spends 95% of his day sleeping on top of the tv), eats what he eats, etc.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Syjefroi posted:

I'm close to losing my poo poo over this kitten. Here's my situation:

My mom moved into a new apartment complex and these two kittens were playing around the area and she saw them all the time and started to feed them. They were obviously homeless and started to follow her into her place. Eventually she took them in. We also figured out that they are brother and sister because they stick together and were the same age/size when she found them, so they must be from the same litter. My mom has got them check ups with a local vet, and has been training them and feeding them well and properly. They are probably around 6 months old now if I had to guess. Not spayed/neutered yet, but in a week or so they will be. There is another cat in the house that we've had in the family for about 15 years. He's slow, skinny, and has been depressed and anorexic for many years now, but that's a whole other thing.

The problem with these cats is that the male meows like a banshee at night. They play fight and run around and stuff but are generally well-behaved, chill, and nice to have around. But at night, the male goes ballistic with his meowing, it's impossible to sleep. We don't know what he is meowing about. He has food, the liter box (two of them) are cleaned before we go to bed, he has some toys laying around, the doors are open so he can run around the house freely. We also leave a light on and the tv on. Literally nothing changes between night and day except for humans being asleep. His meowing is only at night time and it's impossible to sleep more than 10 minutes in a row without him screaming.

His sister doesn't make a sound. What the hell do we do about this. I don't know if it's also worth mentioning that the male kitten idolizes our older cat, in that he goes where he goes (though he spends 95% of his day sleeping on top of the tv), eats what he eats, etc.

Sometimes cats just howl at night when they're playing but it may be because he's unneutered and going crazy from hormones. Get that done ASAP and see if that helps.

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.

HondaCivet posted:

Sometimes cats just howl at night when they're playing but it may be because he's unneutered and going crazy from hormones. Get that done ASAP and see if that helps.

Thanks for the tip. I visit my mom about once a month, so by the time I'm here again (leaving tomorrow morning) it will hopefully not be a problem, I just have to make it through tonight haha. Also, he does meow loudly during playing sometimes, but again, it's only at night, and sometimes he's just milling around when he decides to yell, I haven't figured out any sort of pattern really.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

JonLikesPie posted:

Hi. We have a two and a half year old neutered indoor-only tom, and he's been scooting at points throughout the day. He's been a little diarrhea-y (probably from the can of low-sodium tuna we gave to our cats as a kitty christmas present [one for each cat, but tubby here probably got more than his share!]), but otherwise seems healthy and fine.

Now usually when he scoots, it's because his bum's dirty and he needs to clean it, but he's been scooting with out a clean bum and it's just sorta weird. Is this something cats do when they have an irritated bum, or should we be consulting somebody on a more professional level?

Could be his butt doesn't feel good, could be worms. You might wanna give the vet a call or take him in for a quick checkup and mention the problem.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Yisan posted:

Zero does this too. She'll do her business and then just scratch at the plastic sides like crazy for half a minute or so. I've done the paw dragging thing to show her and she still hasn't picked up a burying technique. We use the cat litter pellets made from recycled paper and waste wood.

Anyway, it's happy happy happy times in our house as the little bundle of joy has gone into heat! The shelter said she was old enough to be done in January, so she hasn't got an appointment to get fixed yet (my mum is going to make one ASAP). So now we play the fun game of "stop the extremely fast kitten getting out the back door". On the upside, the noises she's making are hilarious, and she's headbutting my legs 100 times as much which I quite like :3:

My slut cat brings all the boys to the yard.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
Lillehammer is giving me grief about leaving the apartment. I think she's still confused by her shelter stay and possibly thinks I'm not coming back. When I start putting on my jacket and getting my purse together, she starts rubbing up against me and following me from room to room, then gets spooked and tries to follow me out of the apartment, mewing pathetically the whole time. (Luckily the door doesn't lead outside, just to a hallway, so if she does manage to get out, it's not that huge a deal.)

She's got plenty of toys that she likes around the place, and I feed her before I leave. Hell, my boyfriend's home with her today, but he was still asleep when I left and she wanted nothing to do with him.

A friend of mine recommended Feliway, which I'll try shortly, but it's god damned heartbreaking and I know it's going to keep making me late for work like I was today. :emo:

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

I've got the worst fucking attorneys
My kitten (7 months-old) doesn't like collars. He never wore them at his foster home, and doesn't want to start now. But I want him to have one so that if he ever gets out (which he tries to do every chance he gets, though I try to keep him indoor-only) he will be OK. He's microchipped, but still. I also want a bell on him so I can keep track of him easier.

I tried a regular break-away collar first, but he spent the next two hours trying to get it off. Eventually he got his lower jaw stuck in it and ended up bleeding because he was trying to get his jaw free and was just going crazy. The break-away mechanism was too strong for him to be able to activate it with just his own strength.

I'm thinking of getting one those stretchy collars, but don't know which one to get. If I get one of those nylon ones with velcro, are those OK? I fear that, because they don't have a break-away mechanism, he could still hang himself on it if it ever got caught or tangled. Is that really a concern if the collar stretches? What's a good one to buy and from where can I buy it? I tried to find stretchy collars in the pet megamart, but they had literally one, it was a crappy color, and only has a small stretchy segment rather than stretching all around.

Is a stretchy collar the best way to go here? Is there something else I can be doing to get him to take to his collar better?

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

- Sex: male
- How long have you had your cat? 10 years
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? whichever they do for boy cats, neutered?
- What food do you use? EVO
- When was your last vet visit? 6 months or so for shots--we try to keep them to a minimum as Sammy has to be sedated in order to have even a regular check up, and now that he's getting older sedating him makes me really nervous. Trying to find a vet that does home visits.
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Indoor only
- How many pets in your household? 3, two cats , one snake
- How many litter boxes do you have? 2

Sammy is steadily losing weight, which kinda worries me. He's still a big cat around 18-20lb, but he used to be 222lb and just seems ... frailer. It might be because he's getting old and that's what old men cats tend to do, but I was wondering if there was a type of wet food or something that we could supplement to help.

He's not doing anything (more) weird that makes me thing he might be sick. He's eating regularly and being his crotchety old self, but he looks frail.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
How rapidly has he lost that much weight? Keep in mind that for an animal the size of a cat, even a larger cat, 2 lbs loss is actually pretty significant. I'd get him checked out ASAP if it was me, just to rule out illnesses.

Does he eat EVO dry only right now? If so, you can definitely try supplementing his diet with wet food. EVO makes one, as do a lot of other ultra premium brands.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

How rapidly has he lost that much weight? Keep in mind that for an animal the size of a cat, even a larger cat, 2 lbs loss is actually pretty significant. I'd get him checked out ASAP if it was me, just to rule out illnesses.

Does he eat EVO dry only right now? If so, you can definitely try supplementing his diet with wet food. EVO makes one, as do a lot of other ultra premium brands.

He's lost about 2 pounds over the course of about a year and half or so. Maybe longer? I started noticing it when we moved apartments and he started eating less. I thought it might be stress over the move, but his eating went back to normal but the weight has been slowly coming off. When I asked the vet about 6 months ago she wasn't worried and actually thought it was good for him because he was a little, um, 'hefty' in her words.

If he had lost it over the course of a short time frame, like a couple of months, he and I would be camped at the vet's door. But she seems to think that it's him being older but isn't sure without seeing him. I'm nervous about bringing him in because he won't let anyone besides myself or my husband near him without being sedated. He scares the vet assistant into hyperventilating hysterics (she's a twit) and the vet has to sedate him in order to be able to touch him. Even then he tries to claw her and growls but is too drugged to actually land anything. But with him pushing 13 sedating him worries me pretty badly. We're trying to find a vet who will do a home visit. (so if someone has suggestions in the Northern Virginia area, let me know)

He only eats EVO dry right now though I give him tuna occasionally as a treat. I'll look for the EVO wet stuff. Do you happen to know if they do an old man food as well?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
EVO is an all-stages food, for cats and kittens, so no senior formula that I know of.

I think I'd still bring him in, even if only for your own peace of mind. But I understand not wanting to sedate him either. One of my cats pees all over himself in fear every time we go to the vet (normally he's completely fearless), so I know what it's like to have a troubled cat. :(

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

EVO is an all-stages food, for cats and kittens, so no senior formula that I know of.

Cool beans. A friend of mine feeds her old man cat some special thing, but then Kale has UTI problems. Sammy has no issues like and the only thing besides his weight loss is his tendency to over groom anytime my husband leaves for longer than three days. Boy has abandonment issues.

quote:

I think I'd still bring him in, even if only for your own peace of mind. But I understand not wanting to sedate him either. One of my cats pees all over himself in fear every time we go to the vet (normally he's completely fearless), so I know what it's like to have a troubled cat. :(

I'd be more willing to chance it if his heart rate went up when he got went into kitty-rage mode, but it doesn't so the vet always runs this mild risk of stopping his heart when she sedates him. As he gets older the risk gets higher. One day I will find the people who abused him and take them out with a god damned baseball bat.

Until then I'll try supplementing with wet food and find a vet who makes home visits. I think it's funny that its easy to find a vet who does home visits in Alaska but so far impossible in DC. I've been thinking of finding a new vet anyway since the vet assistant at this place irritates me. One 20lb cat should not produce crying, hyperventilating hysterics. Idiot girl.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
God, yeah, that would make me pretty loathe to stay with a vet too, especially if I wasn't all "OMG THIS IS THE BEST VET EVER." Which is exactly how I feel about my current vet, but luckily her techs are not complete morons.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Hey I have a similar problem (weight loss) with my cat and was about to make a thread about it so here's the rundown here, I thought this was all about younger cats.

- Sex: female
- How long have you had your cat? Got her 2 months ago from her first owner because she has a kid now and the kid keeps bothering the cat now that he's 3 and walking etc.
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? spayed
- What food do you use? what she's gotten nearly all her life: about a tablespoon of turkey breast, raw, chopped, and 1 tbsp oatmeal as well as another tbsp veggies/fruit, mashed, and oil & her heart&lung medicine and some taurin paste
- When was your last vet visit? exactly 1 week ago for the removal of her second scaly tooth, the first which was removed before I got her
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Indoor only
- How many pets in your household? no other ones
- How many litter boxes do you have? 2, but she only uses one

I just got her back from the vet one week ago for removal of a scaly tooth, and starting 3 days ago, she's gotten progressively weaker, eating very little amounts, starting to get incapable of climbing the sofa, her front legs slipping outside when walking on anything that's remotely flush/slippery, i.e. not a rug, and today she's at her worst but she's starting to eat again, yesterday the vet sent an email that her blood work taken last week indicates that 50% of her kidney tissue is hosed and she'll be having bad episodes when the level of some chemical gets too high, where she'll eat nothing, and then the level will get lower again and she'll eat, causing the level to go up and so on. She's lost 2 pounds since I took her in, from 10ish to 8ish pounds, but the episodes are a recent thing, in the beginning at my place she used to eat like there's no tomorrow, occasionally ignoring a meal or two, but never more than two in a row, until three weeks ago when I took her to the vet and made an appointment for the scaly tooth, which was thought to be the cause of her eating problems, but I think now it's the kidneys' fault all along (or both!).

So earlier tonight I bedded her on some warmed up towels on the rug where she usually sleeps, after she, shaking like she's freezing, has eaten turkey breast bits from my hand, and I sit there for a while, watching her, and then I go to bed myself, and when I get up two hours later to use the bathroom, she's there, in the corner, facing it, like she's dead, but when I touch her and stroke her (she feels like dead too) she wakes up a teensy bit, moves, and so I think she likes the coolness of the tiles there, so I go and get a hammer to use as a doorstopper (she's crawled behind the door, so she won't get crushed but can stay there as well) and when I get back, she's crawled even further up that corner, lying completely still.

What the gently caress? Is this some "cats go to the bathroom to die" bullshit? I'm gonna leave her alone now since she very obviously... I don't know, wants to be left the gently caress alone? She used to pee everywhere at her old owner's ever since she's got that kid, which was why I took her and she only peed on my sofa ONCE so... she must've felt better here... is there anything I can do? I tried giving her some water but she ignored my hand, and I've put a rug in the bathroom so she'll be able to go somewhere warm without having to go all the way back to the living room (2 meters but still)

edit: While I typed this up, she's come in my room and now is facing towards the corner the door makes against the wall. Haven't touched her, will try and go to sleep and see if she's better tomorrow.

Zwille fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 30, 2009

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Zwille posted:

- What food do you use? what she's gotten nearly all her life: about a tablespoon of turkey breast, raw, chopped, and 1 tbsp oatmeal as well as another tbsp veggies/fruit, mashed, and oil & her heart&lung medicine and some taurin paste
Why are you feeding this? What is your cat's source of calcium?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
It's what she's been getting all the time, the previous owner told me specifically to only give her that and the occasional drop of yoghurt or butter, which I gave her in addition to the taurin paste which I asked the vet about and who greenlighted it (I've just looked at the packaging and it actually has 1% of calcium)... have I/the previous owner/the vet hosed up?

Now the cat is in a different room in another corner, barely breathing.