Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

lordblytzkrieg posted:

I wasn't too sure about the front graphic. I searched for the artist (thank you btw) and couldn't remember the name of the painting, however I was 100% sure about the graphic on the back.

edit: The painting was made in 1896, so yea definitely not Holocaust related.

My mistake, the more you know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
Double post woo!

So apparently there was a six hour symposium on black metal in Brooklyn last weekend with several lecturers. Here's the NY Times article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/15/arts/music/15metal.html?pagewanted=1&_r=4&th&emc=th

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Not Very Metal posted:

Double post woo!

So apparently there was a six hour symposium on black metal in Brooklyn last weekend with several lecturers. Here's the NY Times article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/15/arts/music/15metal.html?pagewanted=1&_r=4&th&emc=th

Got a non-subscribing link ? Or can you post the article text here ?

Plasma1010 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 15, 2009

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Plasma1010 posted:

Got a non-subscribing link ? Or can you post the article text here ? I live on loving Long Island why was I not told about this ?

Use this for login and password: seagoth

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
Sure, sorry:

NY Times posted:

The bald, beefy moderator, Niall Scott of the University of Central Lancashire, approached the podium in darkness. “It is my revolting pleasure,” he susurrated, pulling on his long goatee, “to introduce Professor Erik Butler, who will present his paper ‘The Counter-Reformation in Stone and Metal: Spiritual Substances.’ ”

And Mr. Butler, an assistant professor of German studies at Emory University, talked about black-metal music — in its second-wave, largely Norwegian form — as a cryptic expression of Roman Catholicism. He started with the 16th-century Council of Trent and the early modern church. He quoted lyrics from the face-painted, early-1990s Norwegian black-metal bands Gorgoroth and Immortal; he framed black metal as respecting some of rock’s orthodoxies, as opposed to the heresies of disco and punk; and he spoke of black metal’s preoccupation with “the abiding and transcendent: stone, mountain, moon.”

You can imagine several orders of hostility toward “Hideous Gnosis,” a six-hour theory symposium on black-metal music that commenced on Saturday afternoon at Public Assembly, a bar and nightclub in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Not just because plenty of people like to make fun of academics discoursing on youth culture but because the subject was something like the music that dare not speak its name.

Black metal, which has been a self-conscious genre since the early 1990s — with a prehistory in some ’80s metal bands — remains metal’s most underground subspecies. (Black refers to a bleak outlook on life.) Musically it’s all scoured howls, nonsyncopated blast-beat drums, and cold, trebly guitars. It sounds like it’s rotting, and that’s the point: black metal represents decay, radical individualism, misanthropy, negativity about all systems, and awe of the natural world. (Death metal, on the other hand, is more proactive, body-centered and psyched about gore.)

“The purest black-metal artist is one who’s unknown and inaccessible,” said Nicola Masciandaro, a professor of medieval literature at Brooklyn College who organized the six-hour event.

In a way, black metal runs on a very old cultural motor: loss of faith, and the hysterical fear and sadness that come with it. But it has become one of rock’s best modes of resistance, which is why it persists, why recent books and films about it have found an audience (like Peter Beste’s photo essay “True Norwegian Black Metal” and the documentary “Until the Light Takes Us”) and why it has inspired a new American wave of bands, including Nachtmystium, Krallice, Wolves in the Throne Room and Liturgy.

Even as the Americans bend black metal far away from tribalism, violence or antireligious malevolence (some Norwegian black-metal musicians became notorious for murder and church burnings) and toward something more Whitman-esque, it remains ingrown. Some of its practitioners — like the Americans Xasthur and Leviathan — make records but will not perform or, in Leviathan’s case, give interviews. Talking about black metal in certain quarters seems deeply lame.

One commenter on the online-forum page of the metal magazine Decibel summed up a certain kind of black-metal fan’s attitude toward the symposium. This music, the contributor wrote, “has nothing to do with being intellectual and everything to do with not wanting to try and break every little thing apart” for analysis.

“There’s lots of resentment toward a sensible discourse around black metal,” said Mr. Masciandaro in an interview. “There’s also lots of dissent and difference around what black metal is. Its center of gravity is an essential negativity, an idea of some remainder, something that cannot be reduced.” He was inspired to organize the symposium, he said, by the conference on heavy metal, held last year in Salzburg, Austria, organized by Mr. Scott. He was there and wanted to create a more specific event. He chose a club with a bar as the setting, rather than a university, figuring it would be more “ludic.”

Was the afternoon humorous, ridiculous or at least ludic? Not really. (It could have used a few more dozen spectators and a temperature boost of about 15 degrees.) To the contrary, it felt necessary. Despite what black-metal musicians might proclaim — Ovskum, an Italian singer and guitarist, was quoted in one of the symposium’s lectures as saying, “my music does not come from a philosophy but from a precritical compulsion” — their work is basically philosophy. It is theoretical, a grid for looking at life, with ancient roots. It could use a critical apparatus, and though the afternoon’s many citings of Continental philosophers like Lacan, Derrida and Bataille might have seemed ludicrously distant to the practice of black metal, such writings relate to the subgenre’s big subjects: death and time.

Mr. Masciandaro’s lecture, “Anti-Cosmosis: Black Mahapralaya,” dealt with ideas of cosmic evolution and annihilation in black metal. In “Perpetual Rot: Obsessive Cycles of Deterioration,” Joseph Russo talked about, um, rot, and the “liminal death-space” in the work of Xasthur. Brandon Stosuy, a Brooklyn music critic, read from his oral history in progress of American black metal: a welcome demystification, cast in normal-dude voices.

“Transcendental Black Metal,” a lecture by Hunter Hunt-Hendrix, the young singer and guitarist of the Brooklyn band Liturgy, gave the Nordic black-metal tradition a stern challenge, and amounted to an artistic manifesto for his own band. He discussed how America represents “dignity, freedom, renewal and hybridization,” and suggested that these qualities could be represented in a new form of black metal. He proposed a new rhythm to replace the blast beat: the “burst beat,” by which rhythm can contract and expand in time, as in free jazz. He cited Aaron Copland’s “Appalachian Spring” and Ornette Coleman’s “Skies of America” as philosophical models, with their “joyful experience of the continuity of existence.” He talked of “life and hypertrophy” replacing “death and atrophy,” and in his own way he was as nonnegotiable as Ovskum: “Our affirmation is a refusal to deny.”

During a Q. and A. period Mr. Hunt-Hendrix was challenged by Scott Wilson, a professor from Lancaster University, who, like Mr. Scott, had traveled from England to attend the conference. Mr. Wilson wondered, skeptically, if transcendentalist black metal just boiled down to “all you need is love.”

“I’m not so interested in defending anything I say,” Mr. Hunt-Hendrix replied. “I only like to be judged on whether it’s interesting or not.”

But perhaps the day’s most profound lecture came from Mr. Scott, who spoke in priestly cadences about black metal as part of the ritual of confession.

“The black metal event is a confession without need of absolution, without need of redemption,” he said. It is, he added, “a cleaning up of the mess of others.” He invoked the old English tradition of sin eating by means of burial cakes, in which a loaf of bread was put on a funeral bier or a corpse, and a paid member of the community would eat the bread, representing sin, to absolve and comfort the deceased.

“Black metal has become the sin eater,” he intoned. “It is engaged in transgressive behavior to be rid of it.”

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

We were talking about that symposium last weekend. Glad to see it being summarised in the press and, despite some peoples' criticism, discussed on an intellectual and analytical level. I freaking love Masciandaro. He's impenetrable (as some of the other speakers must be in their day-to-day writings) but cool. His gloss of Black Sabbath's Black Sabbath as the founding moment of metal is worth a read. I may have posted the link before but: http://reconstruction.eserver.org/092/masciandaro.shtml

NATO
Aug 3, 2009

by Lowtax

HankMcCoy posted:

so im just starting to get into black metal. I've alwasy dug stoner/sludge, old school thrash, and stuff like that (Slayer, Mastodon, High on Fire, Pig Destoryer, Clutch, CoC, eyehategod, Fu Manchu, Kyuss etc)

Anyways, instead of looking through 50 odd pages, i was hoping osmeone could show me where to start with melodic and mid-tempo black metal. What i always like about the genre is the atmosphere building stuff. I mean, I know burzum is kinda a taboo band (i guesss esp since im jewish) but i dig Dunkelheit. love the sinister tone and imagery the music creates.

maybe melodic black metal meet sludge with a touche of ambiance? man thats a sub-sub-sub genre if i ever heard one.
I think you might like some of these (seconding that WITTR suggestion)

Wolves in the Throne Room - (Shimmering Radiance) Diadem of 12 Stars
Drudkh - Eternal Sun
Ulver - Capitel V: Bergtatt - Ind i fjeldkamrene
Paysage d'Hiver - Äther
Paysage d'Hiver - Ich Schreite...

I'm unsure about the last one because it's pretty fast, on the other hand it should appeal to Burzum fans.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Not Very Metal posted:

Sure, sorry:

Thank you so much for posting this. I really wish I could have been there and may yet email the organisers to ask for copies of the papers that were presented.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Drastus' new EP "Serpent's Chalice - Materia Prima" has some cool bits in it. The song "Resonance of Naught" is a definite highlight.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

Not Very Metal posted:

NY Times posted:

He quoted lyrics from the face-painted, early-1990s Norwegian black-metal bands Gorgoroth and Immortal...

Where did he get Gorgoroth lyrics?

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Openknees posted:

Where did he get Gorgoroth lyrics?

It's possible to figure out parts of the lyrics for some songs by ear. Most of it is pretty impossible to understand, though.

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn
So have y'all heard the new tracks Dark Fortress have up on their myspace? Ylem is going to be a motherfucker of an album.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of Ulver, am I the only one that still listens to them post-black metal?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Latis posted:

Speaking of Ulver, am I the only one that still listens to them post-black metal?

Shadows of the Sun is one of my favorite albums ever. Hell, I spent like $40 on a vinyl copy.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Latis posted:

The Teachings In Silence compilation is one of my favorite pieces of music ever. "Not Saved" especially gives me chills, it's so subtle yet beautiful. I'm really looking forwards to the cover-album they're releasing next year. From any other band I'd disregard it as a lame cash-in, but I have faith that Ulver can pull it off.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

Latis posted:

I like their cover of Solitude on Shadows of the Sun, but that's about it. With such a drastic change in sound, Ulver should've changed their name after Nattens Madrigal.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

Mudflap McDirt posted:

Shadows of the Sun is one of my favorite albums ever. Hell, I spent like $40 on a vinyl copy.

It owns, I listened to it the other day walking through the rain to the airport. It felt like I was in an art.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Black metal thread: What are your albums of the year? Mine are, in no particular order:
Altar of Plagues - White Tomb
Oranssi Pazuzu - Muukalainen Puhuu
Nazxul - Iconoclast
Mistur - Attende
Secrets of the Moon - Privilegivm
Shining - VI: Klagopsalmer
Enmerkar - Starlit Passage (EP)
Skagos - Ást
Drudkh - Microcosmos

Only on my first listen-through, but I'd like to add Merrimack - Grey Rigorism to the above list. What an awesome album.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
We have to compose a list for The Metal Observer every year, so here's my top 20 of 2009:

1. Blut Aus Nord – Memoria Vetusta II: A Dialogue With The Stars
2. Drudkh – Microcosmos
3. Sunn O))) – Monoliths & Dimensions
4. Shrinebuilder – s/t
5. Arckanum – ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ
6. Church Of Misery – Houses Of The Unholy
7. Wardruna - Runaljod: Gap Var Ginnunga
8. Arghoslent / Martial Barrage – Send Forth The Best Ye Breed
9. The Gates Of Slumber - Hymns Of Blood And Thunder
10. Om - God Is Good
11. Funeral Mist – Maranatha
12. Wolves In The Throne Room – Black Cascade
13. The Devil's Blood - The Time Of No Time Evermore
14. Wino – Punctuated Equilibrium
15. Lifelover – Dekadens EP
16. Fen – The Malediction Fields
17. Austere – To Lay Like Old Ashes
18. The Ruins Of Beverast - Foulest Semen Of A Sheltered Elite
19. Sólstafir – Köld
20. IXXI – Elect Darkness

The worst thing to happen in black metal this year:

Bethlehem - A Sacrificial Offering to the Kingdom of Heaven in a Cracked Dogs Ear

dead56k
Sep 23, 2009

the seduction of america's youth
Speaking of Wolves in the Throne Room, have any blackmetal bros in here found lyrics to Black Cascade anywhere? Help would be greatly appreciated, i've been hunting all over the place with no luck.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

dead56k posted:

Speaking of Wolves in the Throne Room, have any blackmetal bros in here found lyrics to Black Cascade anywhere? Help would be greatly appreciated, i've been hunting all over the place with no luck.

You have broken an unwritten rule of the underground Black Metal circles.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Plasma1010 posted:

wittr is bad?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Hung Yuri posted:

wittr is bad?

Lyrics are the don't ask don't tell of black metal for some wacky reason.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

IRQ posted:

Lyrics are the don't ask don't tell of black metal for some wacky reason.

Another on the long list of contradictions in the world of black metal.

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Only on my first listen-through, but I'd like to add Merrimack - Grey Rigorism to the above list. What an awesome album.

It's pretty awesome and a huge step up from the somewhat boring Entropy.

dead56k
Sep 23, 2009

the seduction of america's youth

Plasma1010 posted:

I know, I know. The worst offense.
I bought it on vinyl recently, and some of the inner artwork has some weird fairy poo poo going on. I love WITTR, but I must make sure it isn't a black cascade of fairies and unicorns and such.

I wouldn't commit such a heinous act if I hadn't dug deep everywhere to find no results. Asking here seems like a better idea than some lovely metal forum.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

dead56k posted:

I bought it on vinyl recently, and some of the inner artwork has some weird fairy poo poo going on. I love WITTR, but I must make sure it isn't a black cascade of fairies and unicorns and such.

Well listen deep and determine if you interpret the Artwork and Sound as Weird Fairy poo poo. Perhaps this is the case and it is not something you can stand by. The sound and image of ones Black Metal art should not have to be stood by and explained. A painter often creates a painting and puts it out for display, but does not always stand by it and explain every detail of the image. This is well respectable because not everybody is going to interpret that image the same. Instead of narrowing down the art to be portrayed in one way it can be best to let many interpretations flow. Black Metal allows for these many interpretations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

dead56k posted:

I wouldn't commit such a heinous act if I hadn't dug deep everywhere to find no results. Asking here seems like a better idea than some lovely metal forum.

Their imagery, album art, lyrics, persona, ideologies, everything - are related in some part to the forest, to old pagan druidic philosophies, that sort of thing. They could very well be singing about fairies.

That said, I think I need to go back and listen to Malevolent Grain a few times. It's so relaxing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

dead56k posted:

WITTR are basically tree-hugging vegan hippie fags who support eco-terrorism so that's entirely possible.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

IRQ posted:

WITTR are basically tree-hugging vegan hippie fags who support eco-terrorism so that's entirely possible.

AFAIK, they are all completely straight in their sexual orientation.

But you're spot on about the rest of the description. They're big about living 'off the grid' in a forest in Washington State by Olympia.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

IRQ posted:

Don't use fag as a pejorative. You look like a child.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

cryme posted:

Even my homosexual friends use fag as a pejorative. rear end-U-ME

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

cryme posted:

Don't be such a queen about it.

Personally, I like black metal for the atmosphere and really don't have a problem listening to some goofball vegans who live in a shack over neo-nazis or theistic satanists that probably live in shacks.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Hung Yuri posted:

Even my homosexual friends use fag as a pejorative. rear end-U-ME

Homosexuals can also look like children

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

This is a really odd thread to find political correctness but I guess

Not Very Metal posted:

Another on the long list of contradictions in the world of black metal.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

cryme posted:

Don't be a fag, human being.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Haggins posted:

Don't be a fag, human being.

:nyd:

This thread needs more actual gay people in it, to freak you guys the gently caress out.

I bring you ASSACRE - A one man BM project from Austin, TX. He's also an out gay man, and a member of the larger queer scene. In this interview, he talked about his music and, like as a gay man in the metal scene. (The English is on the lower half of the page.)

http://censura20.com/2009/12/08/assacre-la-obscuridad-del-metal-y-la-homosexualidad/

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Wow 'The Most Metal Things Ever!' article is hilarious, it even got a good response over on MA. I think this might be because they picked some good targets that just about everyone can see the humor in, didn't rag on one genre the whole time and didn't touch any scared cows. If the author's are reading this, I'd like to congratulate them on such a well written article.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Sue Denim posted:

Wow 'The Most Metal Things Ever!' article is hilarious, it even got a good response over on MA. I think this might be because they picked some good targets that just about everyone can see the humor in, didn't rag on one genre the whole time and didn't touch any scared cows. If the author's are reading this, I'd like to congratulate them on such a well written article.

Got a link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cure for Optimism
Dec 31, 2005

Outside a path to knowledge
Inside a waste of cells
Try the front page, latest garbage day article. ;)