Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Nutt says that when he was living with Lady Margolotta he would sneak around the castle in the hidden passages and at one point he mentions seeing a troll made of diamond come visit.

Oh, we're counting stuff like this as a cameo? I assumed a cameo meant some 'face time'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande
ok show of hands who thinks the last book was poo poo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
*crickets chirping*

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Swamp Zero posted:

ok show of hands who thinks the last book was poo poo.

Not quite poo poo, but certainly pretty low on my list. The two plots felt half-assed and didn't mesh together at all. Nutt would have been a better fit for the watch environment, and the soccer plot should've been a standalone "sports satire" book.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought the whole fashion model thing was a particularly bad fit in the story as it didn't really have anything to do with any of the plots.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

muscles like this? posted:

I thought the whole fashion model thing was a particularly bad fit in the story as it didn't really have anything to do with any of the plots.

Yeah, I agree. I kind of felt like the whole book had a 'race against time' feel to it. It was like Pratchett had a ton of ideas that he wanted to do, but might not get to if this is his last book.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I thought the fashion model plot was more a ripoff of Cinderella than anything else, and to give some tension to the romantic subplot by giving what's her name a reason not to hang around for Trevor.

LGBT War Machine
Dec 20, 2004

ooooohawwww Mildred
I had the whole fashion model bit down as a joke on the WAG phenomenon (if that's not a misuse of the word). Since there aren't any real models on the Discworld, first they had to be invented...

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I was skimming through The Last Continent again, and it's way better than I remembered the Rincewind books being. Maybe because it's got so much UU Faculty and Death in it. And lots of great wordplay, like when one of the Wizards refers to "paleontology, archaelogy and other skullduggery". :rimshot:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

LGBT War Machine posted:

I had the whole fashion model bit down as a joke on the WAG phenomenon (if that's not a misuse of the word). Since there aren't any real models on the Discworld, first they had to be invented...

This too, but for one: that doesn't translate very well in North America, and two: there was way too much plot time devoted to it for it to be a one-trick joke like that.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
I read those sections as mostly being an important part of Glenda's character growth as well as a chance to take the piss out of the fashion industry using dwarven fashion. After all it's the main impetus behind several important decisions and realisations for her.

Edit: I was a bit disappointed we didn't get to see the match for the Archchancellor's hat.

Vengeance of Pandas fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 16, 2009

LGBT War Machine
Dec 20, 2004

ooooohawwww Mildred

Moist von Lipwig posted:

This too, but for one: that doesn't translate very well in North America, and two: there was way too much plot time devoted to it for it to be a one-trick joke like that.

Is Pratchett that bothered about North Americans getting every joke? Surely any North American who reads Pratchett is both intelligent and a Britophile and therefore can look it up? j/k

As with most things Pratchett, I think there are multiple layers to the joke, so we have a Cinderella/WAG/staers doing it for themselves sub-plot.

And it wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that once upon a time all fashion models were required to be under 5 foot tall and then the first tall slender proto-supermodel emerged and it was a further gag on that.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

GhostDog posted:

Not quite poo poo, but certainly pretty low on my list. The two plots felt half-assed and didn't mesh together at all. Nutt would have been a better fit for the watch environment, and the soccer plot should've been a standalone "sports satire" book.

I'm also not a big fan. It felt a bit all over the place, a bit disjointed. I think there were some good jokes, but overall it was pretty 'meh'.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Edit: I was a bit disappointed we didn't get to see the match for the Archchancellor's hat.

Actually, yeah. That seems like quite a big thing to leave out. It was like it was just dropped after devoting a lot of time to setting it up.

It's another point of pacing that was a bit off with this book. The search for Nutt on his way to Uberwald felt like it could have lasted another book, nevermind a chapter, and felt like it should have been nearer the end.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nilbop posted:

It's another point of pacing that was a bit off with this book. The search for Nutt on his way to Uberwald felt like it could have lasted another book, nevermind a chapter, and felt like it should have been nearer the end.

Well, there were two stories in the book, and their climaxes were totally seperate events. And since the first one was the one that I was far more invested in, it left the actual ending as something of an anticlimax.

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf
Here's something to cheer you up :

34 minute long excerpt from the Guardian Book Club from 12th December, 2009

Edit :

A response to an audience question : "I'd rather be a rising ape then a falling angel"

evilbastard fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 21, 2009

Vetinari
Mar 25, 2006

by Fistgrrl
Something I've noticed in the recent Discworld books is that there seems to be an excess of ideas vying for screentime.

Thud, Making Money, Unseen Academicals, all seemed to have multiple plots that were unnecessary or were resolved weakly. Thud's Da Vinci code parody, Making Money's random glooper, UA's entire Romeo and Juliet subplot...

Monstrous Regiment seemed to suffer the opposite and had only ONE plot that wasn't compelling enough, though I will say that in retrospect, the idea of them all being girls isn't that bad once you remember that 50 percent of the population is female, and the entire point of the story is that once the men are all dead, they still need bodies for war, so they'll move into the reserves.

Pratchett still has the talent to write, but it seems to be shotgunning lately with all the random thoughts going all over the place and not fitting together smoothly. It would be of poor taste to blame his illness for this, but I am at a loss to explain where the lack of cohesion comes from. I have heard he is dictating his books now, I believe, versus typing them by hand. Perhaps this lack of "hands on" writing leads to more loose threads? You'd think a good editor would be able to stitch those up with a practiced hand by now.

Now that the criticism is aside, here is some praise and some fun details I've noticed.

Making Money makes reference to a popular board game A-M likes to play, Exclusive Possession. One might say the goal of it is to get a monopoly. And there are various pieces that one uses to play: A boot, a dog, a top hat, an iron, a horse and rider, a car/carriage, a battleship, a wheelbarrow, a thimble, and lots of money. All of those appear at some point in Moist's game, but he also has to concentrate on being the banker, which divides the player's attention...

Meanwhile, one player quietly is going through a Grand Undertaking, snapping up all the utilities and talks about public transportation while allowing the other players to squabble over lands. Besides, he's not worried, he has the Get Out Of Jail Free card. Although as any player of Monop-Executive Possession knows, near the end of the game, it's sometimes safer to sit in jail than keep going around the board.

Gloing This term appears all the time when the new ball is bounced. Gloing gloing gloing, just a football bouncing.

But, actually, it's not the FIRST time Discworld hears that sound. Nutt hears it earlier when they light the everlasting Candle.

Gloing...the sound of something lighting up the darkness. A "w" away from Glowing.

One of Pratchett's talents is to use words that SOUND what they mean. In this case, while it LOOKS like the sound of a ball bouncing, it's been established as the sound of something glowing in the dark, kind of like how the gods smile upon Juliet and "Romeo" as they glow in the finale, and how the Urn was brought to light by the goddess of chance. Lady Luck only comes when you DON'T ask for her.

Vetinari was banking on the new football bringing out the best in people, as previously it was a dark, untamed animal where people got hurt or worse.

The theme of UA is lighting the darkness with knowledge, which is what a university and what teachers SHOULD be doing. Which shouldn't be left only to the rich academics, but available to everyone, including those left in the dark below stairs. Especially those below stairs, in fact, because they're the real Unseen Academicals.

Vetinari fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 24, 2009

gfl
Dec 30, 2008
Is anyone else getting a bit tired of AM? I really miss Rincewind and those sandy oriental places he used to visit. AM always seems to be on the verge of becoming Victorian London. Why can't we revisit the hilarious brutality of the Ephebians etc?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Because people complain. Borogrovia is at it's heart an AMless story, as are the Tiffany Aching books, but if you say Discworld, people think of Sam Vimes.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I finally got around to reading Night Watch and it is a truly amazing book. drat.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
SkyTV has put up some pictures from the forthcoming production of Going Postal.

I think it looks great. The characters are almost all exactly how I imagined them, particularly David Suchet/Reacher Gilt.

SaintFu fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 30, 2009

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
That will do quite nicely. Moist looks great, even if his gold suit is a bit dull. Guilt looks very cartoony, which actually suits him.

The wizards continue to look a bit too much like twits though.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

Nilbop posted:

That will do quite nicely. Moist looks great, even if his gold suit is a bit dull. Guilt looks very cartoony, which actually suits him.

Jeff from Coupling is an excellent Moist. I'm actually exited for this.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Nobby posted:

Jeff from Coupling is an excellent Moist. I'm actually exited for this.

I wonder if I'd be able to watch this without constantly expecting him to say something horribly perverted.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Nilbop posted:

I'm sorry, but aren't the wizards supposed to be a bunch of twits. At least that is the impression I get from all, but Ponder Stibbons.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The UU Faculty are never drawn / portrayed fat enough.

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

Entropic posted:

The UU Faculty are never drawn / portrayed fat enough.
This exactly.
They are a bunch of twits; but they have gravitas, or more accurately, gravity.

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm sorry, but aren't the wizards supposed to be a bunch of twits. At least that is the impression I get from all, but Ponder Stibbons.

I quite liked the few moments in UA when the "twit" mask slipped off Ridcully.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Vetinari posted:

Monstrous Regiment seemed to suffer the opposite and had only ONE plot that wasn't compelling enough, though I will say that in retrospect, the idea of them all being girls isn't that bad once you remember that 50 percent of the population is female, and the entire point of the story is that once the men are all dead, they still need bodies for war, so they'll move into the reserves.

I read it right after the Fifth Elephant so everyone turning out to be girls seemed like retreading old ground. Only worse, because there really aren't many human girls who make convincing guys, so I was picturing the main girl as "Bob" from Blackadder. The title was a good reference, though.

I read Nation recently, and I have to say it was the most compelling Pratchet book I've read in years. That and Night Watch are the only two that kept me reading into the small hours of the morning since I first started reading his books. I'm now on Good Omens (Pratchet and Gaimon) and enjoying it a lot so far.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I just have to post these here. They were originally posted in the 3DCG thread in CC by EoinCannon and they are the greatest. Seriously, go look.

Polly
Cohen

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

bitterandtwisted posted:

I read it right after the Fifth Elephant so everyone turning out to be girls seemed like retreading old ground. Only worse, because there really aren't many human girls who make convincing guys, so I was picturing the main girl as "Bob" from Blackadder. The title was a good reference, though.

I read Nation recently, and I have to say it was the most compelling Pratchet book I've read in years. That and Night Watch are the only two that kept me reading into the small hours of the morning since I first started reading his books. I'm now on Good Omens (Pratchet and Gaimon) and enjoying it a lot so far.

Yeah, I tracked down Nation even though it's a YA book and was not disappointed. Really awesome story.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I just have to post these here. They were originally posted in the 3DCG thread in CC by EoinCannon and they are the greatest. Seriously, go look.

Polly
Cohen

Polly looks like she forgot her sock.

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Yeah, I tracked down Nation even though it's a YA book and was not disappointed. Really awesome story.

I think Pratchett is on record saying that the only difference between children's and adult books is that the words aren't quite as long and the sex isn't as obvious.

This means you should read all of his YA books.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 3, 2010

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

pseudorandom name posted:

I think Pratchett is on record saying that the only difference between children's and adult books is that the words aren't quite as long and the sex isn't as obvious.

This means you should read all of his YA books.

Tiffany Aching is super-awesome. (Not gonna read the Maurice book, though; I can barely stand the plots involving Gaspode.)

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

inklesspen posted:

Tiffany Aching is super-awesome. (Not gonna read the Maurice book, though; I can barely stand the plots involving Gaspode.)

Gaspode was my favorite character besides Vimes for quite a while :argh:
Regardless, you should read it. It's still miles better than 99.9% of the literature out there, and if I recall correctly, Gaspode is a very small part of the plot (obviously there are other talking animals; also, I could be wrong since I haven't read it in forever and a day).

Tiffany Aching IS super-awesome.

Cacto
Jan 29, 2009
The Maurice book is kind of like the Bromeliad. The rats are basically human. The talking cat is just smug.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
In a way I think Pratchett's YA stuff is his strongest. The three Johnny books (particularly Johnny and the Bomb) are excellent, and when I read Nation a couple months back I thought it was one of his best books in years.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

John Charity Spring posted:

In a way I think Pratchett's YA stuff is his strongest. The three Johnny books (particularly Johnny and the Bomb) are excellent, and when I read Nation a couple months back I thought it was one of his best books in years.

Going on Maurice and the 3 TA books I have to agree. The TA stuff is exactly what I'd want a daughter to be reading in the 9-13 age bracket and Maurice is just a phenomenal story with amazing writing. Do 't skip Maurice because of Gaspode (who has minimal bearing on the plot) nor for any other reason.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

mllaneza posted:

Going on Maurice and the 3 TA books I have to agree. The TA stuff is exactly what I'd want a daughter to be reading in the 9-13 age bracket and Maurice is just a phenomenal story with amazing writing. Do 't skip Maurice because of Gaspode (who has minimal bearing on the plot) nor for any other reason.

It's not because of Gaspode himself. I just don't think the "hey, intelligent animals in the Discworld" plot is fun.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Don't eat the green wobbly bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Wasn't a big fan of Unseen Academicals. There were a few funny bits and winks to old books, and some characters I wouldn't mind seeing more of (like Dr Hix -- skull ring! -- and Charlie), but I didn't give a drat about the main plot and most of the new characters were boring. Nutt wasn't exactly a compelling protagonist. A meek savant who is the best at everything he tries? Really? Trev and Juliet were barely characters, and everything to do with Glenda just seemed like an amalgamation of rejected prose from the Witches books or something.

Most of the cameos were a bit dull, too. When Vimes showed up in, say, Monstrous Regiment, he was hilarious, but when he showed up in UA it was to a resounding "so what"?

I still have high hopes for Raising Taxes though.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 4, 2010