Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evale
Dec 20, 2009

JerseyMonkey posted:

What jackass thought it was smart to put an audio jack at the front of the laptop? Friend had that, so annoying having that big audio cable sticking outward.

The little jack jutting out doesn't really bother me though. And like a few others said, it was probably meant to make it easier to plug in earphones 'on the go.'

Phillyt posted:

Awesome Motorhead poster from the first album! I've been on such a huge loving Motorhead kick the past month or so. That first album is just so good.

:rock:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tlc
Jan 6, 2005

dont send help

Not shown, crashpad to right, with occupant dog.

Serious Business
Jun 22, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

tlc posted:

I could not work like this.

tlc
Jan 6, 2005

dont send help

Serious Business posted:

I could not work like this.
Nonsense. That amp puts out a good 200W RMS!

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

glitch77 posted:

Sorry for the terrible quality.

I spy with my little eye steel battalion. :krad:

I just happened to re-wire my desk. Took the PS3 out of the equation to make room for my new desktop I'll be building in a few weeks and for the fact that I never play it.

Also, How can you guys stand CRT monitors anymore? Just looking at them makes me cringe.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

tlc posted:

That looks like a Lundia shelf, but the holes point in the wrong direction?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jon93 posted:

I spy with my little eye steel battalion. :krad:

I just happened to re-wire my desk. Took the PS3 out of the equation to make room for my new desktop I'll be building in a few weeks and for the fact that I never play it.

Also, How can you guys stand CRT monitors anymore? Just looking at them makes me cringe.

I actually really like them for video, but I can't stand to use them to do anything that requires reading.

VanguardTruth
Mar 11, 2006

Da Troof

ATwoSlotToaster posted:

What kind of laptop stand is that? I've been looking for something to raise and angle my laptop for a while now.

Seconding the Rain mStand. Just google Rain Design. It's completely worth it. Great construction, hole in the back for cable management, and matches perfectly with the MacBook's design.

Ample
Dec 26, 2007

Dogcow posted:

Yes I paid $30 for an aluminum mousepad because that's how much of a massive Apple douche I am.

USB on the right side leads to a little DAC into the amp here, opposite the desk.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of record player is that? I want to buy my brother a decent record player for the holidays without breaking the bank.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ample posted:

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of record player is that? I want to buy my brother a decent record player for the holidays without breaking the bank.

Pretty sure it's a Rega, either a P1 or P2.

rubbersoul
Oct 11, 2007
curse you mop toppers!

PopeOnARope posted:

Plus, you have the whole extra issue of it being pressured if you use the laptop in bed. At least it keeps the cable from coming out of the jack as often, though (I'm looking at you, D830, who's power lead falls out if I so much as fart).

One thing I really miss (had this on my Inspiron 1500) are front "media" buttons. Volume up/down and mute where I can reach them (rather than ham-handedly mashing the loving power button) were great.

I really really wish Apple would farm out their magsafe adapter for this reason alone, I hate how laptops become worthless as soon as their lovely power cord becomes loose from the board.

Also to glorify Apple a little bit more, why in the flying gently caress doesn't Windows let you just assign global media keys to your f1-f12 keys, having my media player controls right there and instantaneous is one of the many reasons I think Apple does laptops just right.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

rubbersoul posted:

I really really wish Apple would farm out their magsafe adapter for this reason alone, I hate how laptops become worthless as soon as their lovely power cord becomes loose from the board.

Also to glorify Apple a little bit more, why in the flying gently caress doesn't Windows let you just assign global media keys to your f1-f12 keys, having my media player controls right there and instantaneous is one of the many reasons I think Apple does laptops just right.

Depending on your media player, this is already possible.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
Yeah, foobar can do it for one. Besides the fact that everyone should use foobar, it would be nice to have it baked into the OS. Gnome has it as well, and I do kind of miss it.

Chopper
Feb 13, 2006

glompix posted:

Yeah, foobar can do it for one. Besides the fact that everyone should use foobar, it would be nice to have it baked into the OS. Gnome has it as well, and I do kind of miss it.

Apart from you have to be some kind of programming genius to configure the right combination of plug-ins to make foobar user friendly and look even reasonably pretty.

evale
Dec 20, 2009

Chopper posted:

Apart from you have to be some kind of programming genius to configure the right combination of plug-ins to make foobar user friendly and look even reasonably pretty.

That's what I thought before I started using it, but the out-of-the-box themes and plugins are super easy to use and configure. Plus adding some awesome functionality simply means downloading a dll file and copying it into the components folder.

I can have my foobar working and looking the way I want in minutes.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I got off my rear end and relocated my workspace today. I'll get a better pic up soon as my wife un-loses my camera charger.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Chopper posted:

I am nothing of a programming genius and it works ok for me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Subwoofer on top of your desk :psyduck:

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Router mounted on the wall in full view

Imipolex G
Apr 1, 2009

kri kri posted:

Cat not hidden behind desk.

Serious Business
Jun 22, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

kri kri posted:

Mu Zeta posted:

Could lose the tower to the left side, on the ground for more room as well.

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

Imipolex G posted:

Cat not hidden behind desk.

Chair not mounted on ceiling.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Netbook not shown but usually sitting opposite the monitor. Im rocking a better chair now, thankfully.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I was expecting a lot of those replies, but here's the thing. That setup was put together so that NOTHING is on the floor. The UPS and all the power cabling is tucked away inside that desk. The router and cable modem are wall mounted and in the open to be accessible because there's a workbench just to the right of all that. I wasn't crazy about the sub on the desk, but mounting it would cause a rattle. That PC case is up to because it has a quick swap HDD bay on the front that I use for ghosting disks when needed and I like to be able to get to it.

That was about as well as I could figure out while keeping everything off the floor and not having to build a rack.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I know I'm living like poo poo, but you can't see the wires with the chair in place.

And yes, that's a 24" widescreen CRT you're looking at. Also, sorry for the crappy camera phone pic.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Farking Bastage posted:

I was expecting a lot of those replies, but here's the thing. That setup was put together so that NOTHING is on the floor. The UPS and all the power cabling is tucked away inside that desk. The router and cable modem are wall mounted and in the open to be accessible because there's a workbench just to the right of all that. I wasn't crazy about the sub on the desk, but mounting it would cause a rattle. That PC case is up to because it has a quick swap HDD bay on the front that I use for ghosting disks when needed and I like to be able to get to it.

That was about as well as I could figure out while keeping everything off the floor and not having to build a rack.

Just one question.

Why does it matter if anything is on the floor and why is your sub blasting you in the face and why can't you reach the hdd swap bay if the computer is on the floor?

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Off the floor is a honey-do request from my wife. Otherwise I'm just loving lazy and don't feel like sliding in the writing board to get to it.

That's a down blasting woofer and being on the carpet would muffle the poo poo out of it.. It's really not bad up there.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

GreatGreen posted:

I know I'm living like poo poo, but you can't see the wires with the chair in place.

And yes, that's a 24" widescreen CRT you're looking at. Also, sorry for the crappy camera phone pic.

Is that an Axe-FX ultra I see there?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
My desk:

Serious Business
Jun 22, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

hotsauce posted:

My desk:

gently caress, I can't read any of that nonsense.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

hotsauce posted:

My desk:

Can't read a lot of that.

Instant Stalker
Aug 8, 2002
JUST ADD RAPE

hotsauce posted:

My desk:

Tablet users :rolleyes:

I can read most of it but what in the world is that pyramid thing?

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Instant Stalker posted:

Tablet users :rolleyes:

I can read most of it but what in the world is that pyramid thing?

Text appears to read "Award :)"

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Sir Nigel posted:

Text appears to read "Award :)"

Yep, award.

Sorry it's hard to read. Shrunk it too much. Anything you curious about?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

3 laptops on one desk. Is the Fujitsu supposed to be your "netbook?" Because I see no point in keeping that around when you have a X200 tablet.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

3 laptops on one desk. Is the Fujitsu supposed to be your "netbook?" Because I see no point in keeping that around when you have a X200 tablet.

Yeah, good point. My wife would 100% agree with you.

Guess I keep the Fujitsu around b/c I got on fleabay for $220 and if I drop it I don't give a drat. Perfect for laying in bed, on the couch, while cooking, etc. The extended battery was basically brand new and it lasts for about 4 hours.

The X200 gets the most work. On it now. Love it.

The MacMini is where I store everything. Photos, movies, etc. All computers are backed up to my HP Server.

Other than that, I'm on my work computer, well, working.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.
My desk is the bottom part of a loft bed, which, being in Honolulu where houses cost a million bucks per square foot, is a really good setup. I use a swivel-chair to get 180 degrees of computing, so I need three images to show it all.

My main monitor is 28” with about 25.5” viewable, driven by my gaming rig, surrounded by a 5.1 speaker setup. Cable management? What’s that?

This 22” monitor is driven by the Acer Aspire Revo, underneath it to the right, and acts as my HTPC (and Skype station) with a 2.1 speaker system. The monitor is held up on a wire rack so I have room for the mouse underneath it.

180 degrees from the main monitor is my laptop station, which currently has a HP Mini 311. The fan underneath is a holdover from my P4M Dell, which got seriously hot seriously fast.

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

How can I make this as complicated as possible?
Nothing fancy, an extremely old school desk and a old cherry crate holding up my monitor.

Serious Business
Jun 22, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

Galg posted:

Nothing fancy, an extremely old school desk and a old cherry crate holding up my monitor.

haha, oh god... oh god, oh god... really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Serious Business posted:

haha, oh god... oh god, oh god... really?

What exactly is there to "oh god" about? It looks pretty functional to me.