Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I've heard good things about using Colour Shapers for sculpting green stuff. Apparently the rubbery tips of these things don't stick to green stuff, so you can sculpt without having to worry about water/petroleum jelly/nose grease.

As for sealing your painted models, I'd probably wait to do any static grass additions to the base until after sealing. I'm not sure if the grass would just fall down if you hit it with gloss/matte sealant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
Little update on my dragon.

Been painting all day and gonna have to call it a night here now as the light has gone to poo poo and i cant see straight anymore.

Here's some WIP shots though, i'm liking the glowy effect i got going and amazed myself with the top of the wings.

Mud wash is still wet in this picture (stuff takes FOREVER to dry)

Undercoat: Chaos Black
Basecoat: Ice Blue
Wash: Asureman Blue
Wash: Badab Black
Drybrush: Mordlan Blue
Highlight: Ice Blue + Space Wolves Grey 1:1
Extreme Highlight: as above but 1:2

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Nice looking dragon.

While I wait for the FW Nurgle Prince to arrive I've been thinking about how to paint him. I'm inclined towards essentially making him a walking turd with a vat of infected, blood streaked, semen on his back, who goes around spraying AIDS into the faces of his enemies.

Have I gone wrong ?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Sole.Sushi posted:

I have never personally used milliput products for any epoxy work, so I couldn't comment on them. How does it react to water?

I have a box of Milliput yellow/grey. It's basically the same thing as green stuff, but takes a little longer to set, and is VERY crumbly the first 10 minutes or so. It's super cheap, though, so it's good for filling in spaces before putting green stuff details on top.

I've also heard good things about using milliput/green stuff in a 1:1 ratio but I haven't tried that yet.

asbo subject
Jan 22, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sole.Sushi posted:

There are several ways besides water, but water by far works the best--it doesn't react with the product, and it will air dry completely without any sort of work from your end. If you don't mind a bit of scrubbing after you're done, you can use petroleum jelly (Vaseline, etc.) to apply a very thin coat to your tools. I dislike doing this as I have accidentally removed detail while trying to get the jelly out of the green stuff.

Just a suggestion here- never done any sculpting myself. Why not use some thing water soluble like KY jelly? Just rinse the stuff off when everything has dried.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Vaseline is pretty popular.

asbo subject
Jan 22, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Nice looking dragon.

While I wait for the FW Nurgle Prince to arrive I've been thinking about how to paint him. I'm inclined towards essentially making him a walking turd with a vat of infected, blood streaked, semen on his back, who goes around spraying AIDS into the faces of his enemies.

Have I gone wrong ?

Only in your pathology. AIDS is the disease, HIV is the causative agent.

I could not comment on your own psychiatric pathology. Contact your GP or Family Doctor.

asbo subject fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 26, 2009

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head

Sole.Sushi posted:

I have never personally used milliput products for any epoxy work, so I couldn't comment on them. How does it react to water?

Messily! It seems almost water soluble when not cured, putting it on there produces a kind of milky liquid that just gets in the way. It'd be useful for large-scale stuff because of how bloody hard it dries I think (plus it's a lot cheaper!), but I can't see myself using it for anything even approaching detail work. Mind you, I've only used Milliput super-fine for filling gaps on tanks because it sands well, so I can't speak for their other products.

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology

Aranan posted:

I've heard good things about using Colour Shapers for sculpting green stuff. Apparently the rubbery tips of these things don't stick to green stuff, so you can sculpt without having to worry about water/petroleum jelly/nose grease.

They are awesome, but you should still use water or other lubrication, you just don't need to rely on it so much though. small bits can still sometimes stick to the silicone rubber.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

dpack_1 posted:

That looks really well done. Did you do all that just today?

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Aranan posted:

That looks really well done. Did you do all that just today?

Yeah, a good 6-8 hours worth today, still nowhere near finished, need to wash and highlight the underside, pick out the difference between rock and finished stone in the base, want to do more to the scales, haven't touched the mouth and tongue yet and not even started on the riders so i'll probably be at it all day tomorrow too.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
So about a month ago in the main Warham thread !amicable posted this picture. This is the first Eldar paint scheme that I've really liked. Anyone know what paints these are? Tips on how to do the jewels? Would I use white or black primer here?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Myopic posted:

Messily! It seems almost water soluble when not cured, putting it on there produces a kind of milky liquid that just gets in the way. It'd be useful for large-scale stuff because of how bloody hard it dries I think (plus it's a lot cheaper!), but I can't see myself using it for anything even approaching detail work. Mind you, I've only used Milliput super-fine for filling gaps on tanks because it sands well, so I can't speak for their other products.

Yeah this is what I've used as well, you get two white "sticks" that are in different colour wrapping to mix together. It's very messy when you add water, but once you've got a blob on a miniature, it doesn't tend to peel off as easily as greenstuff seems to. I use it for gap filling around figure arms/wrists etc where you've had to cut/file to change the angle.

Morning
Aug 10, 2008

TotallyGreen posted:

So about a month ago in the main Warham thread !amicable posted this picture. This is the first Eldar paint scheme that I've really liked. Anyone know what paints these are? Tips on how to do the jewels? Would I use white or black primer here?

I'd say black primer
various shades of grey for highlights/gun (might be basecoated deneb stone?)3
There might be a hint of commando khaki in the mix on some of the highlights

blue gems- maybe necron abyss or another blue tinted with some black, then a enchanted blue with ice blue highlights

Other gems-something maybe dark green leading up to khaki or bleached bone, I cant really tell.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

The lighter grey is codex gray. The armor seems to be charadon granite with dheneb stone hightlights.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

asbo subject posted:

Just a suggestion here- never done any sculpting myself. Why not use some thing water soluble like KY jelly? Just rinse the stuff off when everything has dried.

Biggest reason is that water will dry 100% when left out in air. Water essentially cleans itself up, and it will do so without any problems. It's also abundant, cheap and absolutely everyone knows how water behaves, which is why I recommend it to everyone. With other lubricants, if you miss cleaning a spot, even a water-soluble product, your primer and paint will not stick. In other words, I'm afraid I'll screw up a model by missing a spot with other lubricants :ohdear:

Using a water-soluble lubricant is a great idea though. I probably wouldn't use KY specifically, but it's certainly worth a try.

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
What exactly is in green stuff? My fingertips are all cracked and dried from where I touched it, and I dont remember it doing this before.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Air brushing, I know it has been posted about before but I can't find those posts in the other thread so I'll ask here.

Gravity fed or siphoned?

Has anyone tried spraying primer? If so where do you get liquid primer and what type?

I have the compressor but need to know about the airbrushes so I buy the best unit for hobby painting.

Thanks.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
As I understand it gravity feed is generally regarded as the best.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
To summarize: gravity fed, double action, multiple tips, airbrushed primer is fine - any acrylic primer in a bottle, properly thinned, should work. Buy an Iwata HP-C unless you want to drop $300 on a Paasche AB of some sort (no idea about cheap options)

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Morning posted:

What exactly is in green stuff? My fingertips are all cracked and dried from where I touched it, and I dont remember it doing this before.

Each manufacturer has a specific blend of materials inside their two-part epoxies. While all are safe for handling with bare skin, not everyone's skin is so forgiving. Sometimes there will be chemicals inside the epoxy that cause irritation and dry skin. Just moisturize beforehand, and you should be okay.
As a note: if your fingertips get so bad that it hurts or gets really uncomfortable, congratulations! You are likely allergic to a chemical inside the epoxy! :toot:
Never fear, though. Simply wear powder-free latex gloves, keep a bit of water on your fingers, and you'll be fine.

Also: Indolent Bastard, gesso is an acrylic primer that can be thinned and airbrushed onto a surface. Beware, as it shrinks considerably. You may need to spray it twice to get full coverage. Many goons love gesso, while others hate it with a passion. Try it and see if you like it, it's cheap enough that if you don't like it, you won't regret the purchase.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Painted this up rather quick.

drat, now I do want to make more of these. Gonna have to try to scavenge some bitz from friends. Just in case, anyone know a good site to buy warhammer plastic bitz?

\/ I'm in Sweden

R.S. Gumby fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Dec 27, 2009

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

What country are you in?

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Update on my WIP High Elf Dragon:

Didn't spend that much time on it today, just sorted out the rock and stone finishes on the scenery, touched up the armour a bit more and did a lot of work on the head and mouth.

Still need to do the underside body and wings, highlight the scales, finish up the reigns, touch up the feet and claws and then work on the riders. Urgh this is one hell of a big, detail heavy model.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That dragon is really looking great man, keep it up!

In other news:

:frogsiren: :regd08: :frogsiren: :regd08: :frogsiren:

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Here is a Goblin Pirate from Reaper I painted as a birthday gift for a coworker. The peacock feather didn't turn out quite as nicely as I would like.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Fyrbrand posted:

That dragon is really looking great man, keep it up!

In other news:

:frogsiren: :regd08: :frogsiren: :regd08: :frogsiren:

You got what I wanted for Christmas. Good thing the birthday is 'round the corner! :v:

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
Does anyone have experience with Pig Iron heads? There's a squad painting competition at my FLGS coming up and I want to use some to make a traitor guard unit.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

C&C the freehand if you may! The rest of the paint is a little thick but I think the freehand turned out pretty well. Needs another coat of thin white!

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate
Remember when I said I would paint some slaves first?

I lied

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

FirstCongoWar posted:

Does anyone have experience with Pig Iron heads? There's a squad painting competition at my FLGS coming up and I want to use some to make a traitor guard unit.

They're great. You just need to file down the neck a bit and they sit perfectly on cadian bodies.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Combaticus posted:

They are awesome, but you should still use water or other lubrication, you just don't need to rely on it so much though. small bits can still sometimes stick to the silicone rubber.

Sometimes you need it and other times you don't. One of the best things to learn about greenstuff is how to take advantage of the fact that it's more like sculpting with chewing gum than with clay. The fact that it is so tacky can be useful, sometimes.

Also color shapers are awesome, but you will still want to have a hard edged tool on hand.

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate
Sneak peak of 10 slaves I knocked out this afternoon, need a wash on the fur, eyes and teeth/nails done and the bases finished but most of the work is done on this. Not doing them to too fancy a degree since I'll have dozens of them to do and they'll be in big ranked blocks anyway but I think it's going to end up a decent tabletop standard. I've not spent very much worktime on these and they're already looking quite servicable. After I finish these and another 10 slaves to round out the unit I might start on converting a hellpit abomination

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Anphrax posted:

C&C the freehand if you may! The rest of the paint is a little thick but I think the freehand turned out pretty well. Needs another coat of thin white!

Dig it, after the last coat of white, thin out some of the purple and use it to clean up the edges a bit :v:

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

The day's update on the dragon

Got the saddle and belts done, the underside of the wings and highlighted the fleshy body parts and brightened up the scales some what. Pretty much all that's left is the reigns and claws. And i'm thinking of going for a sand and static grass base.

What's this i hear about painting sand? any tips on doing that before i glue everything in place?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

dpack_1 posted:

The day's update on the dragon

All I can say is that it looks great. A friend of mine used to base his Dark Angels by putting down ballast and priming it with the rest of the model and dry brushing it red/washing it black and dry brushing it red again. I imagine sand isn't hard, just find some or buy some that the train modelers use

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I use woodland scenics ballast, I mix the small and medium together so I get a variety of consistency.

The trick is to use good white glue, slightly dilluted, and glue the sand down to the base.

:siren: then dont loving touch it for like 5 hours :siren:

That glue has to be very, very dry for you to paint the sand. Paint it with a thinned dark color and after that is dry, drybrush with a lighter color.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

PaintVagrant posted:

Dig it, after the last coat of white, thin out some of the purple and use it to clean up the edges a bit :v:

You have no idea how much this means to me :3:

Though... this picture was taken before I cleaned up the edges. I'll post a final picture when I do another coat of white.

Any tips for gloss and matte coats to keep it safe?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Anphrax posted:

You have no idea how much this means to me :3:

Though... this picture was taken before I cleaned up the edges. I'll post a final picture when I do another coat of white.

Any tips for gloss and matte coats to keep it safe?

gloss spray, let it dry a day, a couple of coats of matte. If youre worried about shine, just do a couple of coats of matte, but I like using the gloss...it makes the model pretty hard to damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

PaintVagrant posted:

gloss spray, let it dry a day, a couple of coats of matte. If youre worried about shine, just do a couple of coats of matte, but I like using the gloss...it makes the model pretty hard to damage

A couple months ago I heard that just matte might look bad.. any input on that?

• Locked thread