Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Anphrax posted:

A couple months ago I heard that just matte might look bad.. any input on that?

If you apply way too much it can dull colors, but a couple of quick passes shouldnt change anything noticeably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

JESUS :pcgaming:

I remember that dude used to post his stuff on warseer back in the day, and it was really nice...but not like that. wow.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Fyrbrand posted:

holy loving poo poo

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

God help me if I got the money to do a Tzeentch daemon army cause I love their stuff the best. I dislike how humanoid most of the daemons are made out to be and like the big writhing masses of confusion and teeth better.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo saurus spears are seriously dangerous. I've already stabbed myself hard enough to bleed pretty good, and I've only assembled 5.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fyrbrand posted:

Holy poo poo saurus spears are seriously dangerous. I've already stabbed myself hard enough to bleed pretty good, and I've only assembled 5.

Chaos Warhorse horns are worse, trust me

I punctured through like 5 layers of skin with one of those fucks

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fyrbrand posted:

I'm totally down with the Lord of Change being redone as a Horror deluxe. It can still have wings, I guess.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
My mom: :bravo2:
Me: :colbert:

quote:

:bravo2:: Hey honey, your birthday is coming up!

:colbert::Yeah, and I know exactly what I want!

:bravo2:: Ohh do you still want those toys!?

:colbert::God dammit mom, they aren't toys!

:bravo2::They are expensive toys.

:colbert:: /cry

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A Dodge Viper is just a toy for men in a midlife crisis or who have small penises. Calling Warhams toys nothing to be ashamed of. :c00lbutt:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

A Dodge Viper is just a toy for men in a midlife crisis or who have small penises. Calling Warhams toys nothing to be ashamed of. :c00lbutt:

For all the money you could spend on a viper, think of the hams

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I took a ride in a yellow viper convertible with a friend of mine who didnt necessarily understand the torque that thing has...and he shifted into second in a corner and I was out one pair of boxers

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

PaintVagrant posted:

I took a ride in a yellow viper convertible with a friend of mine who didnt necessarily understand the torque that thing has...and he shifted into second in a corner and I was out one pair of boxers

He shift your pants?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

dpack_1 posted:

And i'm thinking of going for a sand and static grass base.

What's this i hear about painting sand? any tips on doing that before i glue everything in place?

Your dragon is pretty. :3 Sand painted like the rocks would look great but I'm not digging the idea of green static grass on that base. If you've got it on the rest of your army, it would tie everything together and look better as an army. As a stand alone piece, I would leave the static grass off of this one. I'm just thinking about the GW neon grass or the one with a little red in it, if you've got something else in mind, disreguard. Maybe if you drybrushed the static grass? Either with some off-white to tone it down or if you could get it a blueish-green somehow. I've never tried this but I would probably do some test bases. Maybe a thin blue or turquoise wash over just the static grass?

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate
Finished the slaves I was working on today, and also knocked out another 10

Here's the army so far

Feels like I've painted so much for only a couple of units but big kits like the bell & doomwheel are multiple regiments worth of work, so hopefully it will all move along quickly now. Now I can either start some jezzails tomorrow or start messing about with a hellpit conversion. Still not entirely sure what parts im going to use, I've got an old unused chaos spawn, some rat ogre & dragon ogre body parts, a spare head and tail from a hydra lying around so I'm thinking I can get a good start with those and some greenstuff

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

GoodBee posted:

Your dragon is pretty. :3 Sand painted like the rocks would look great but I'm not digging the idea of green static grass on that base. If you've got it on the rest of your army, it would tie everything together and look better as an army. As a stand alone piece, I would leave the static grass off of this one. I'm just thinking about the GW neon grass or the one with a little red in it, if you've got something else in mind, disreguard. Maybe if you drybrushed the static grass? Either with some off-white to tone it down or if you could get it a blueish-green somehow. I've never tried this but I would probably do some test bases. Maybe a thin blue or turquoise wash over just the static grass?

I was going with a mostly sand base with just a few patches of grass around the base of the rocks sort of like a moss growing in the nooks and crannies.

I've got an assortment of glade grass, scorched grass and regular static grass along with a mixed ballast of sand / rocks which i'll paint a dull sandy colour and highlight it as per PV's advice and then pick out some of the bigger pebbles to paint like the rocks from the model.

Should have it all done by the end of the day and have some nicer photos of it finished this evening... assuming i can get motivated.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
I FINALLY finished my Lady Justice Guild crew for Malifaux. I buy too much and paint too slow, but once in a while something gets completed.

Lady J

Her right-hand man, Judge

What's in the boooooox?

I fuckin' love justice!

Crouching Marshal, Hidden... I got nothin'.

The crew's all here.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Where can I go to purchase/order a set of Vallejo Game Color Inks in the US?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

CyberLord XP posted:

Where can I go to purchase/order a set of Vallejo Game Color Inks in the US?

http://thewarstore.com/vallejogamecolors.html

I think Smokey Ink is on page 1, and most of the other inks are on page 2.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Very nice stuff guys!

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Kay, got him all painted up and semi-based, right now they're just stuck down with some blu-tac, waiting for the sand to dry before painting it then gonna glue everything down in place, but this is the final look for the dragon. Gonna start on a rider tomorrow i guess.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Jesus christ

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Do you guys work with your paints straight from the pot? And do you ever get clumps of tacky, partially dried paint about halfway up the bristles?

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Thin that poo poo and wash your brush more often, yo.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Iron Squid posted:

Do you guys work with your paints straight from the pot? And do you ever get clumps of tacky, partially dried paint about halfway up the bristles?

I never work from the pot. Use a home-made wet palette using a chicken breast packing foamy thing, a paper towel and a piece of parchment paper.
http://www.camospecs.com/Article.asp?FictionID=14

If you are getting clumps of dried paint halfway up the bristles, you are putting too much paint on your brush, and possibly aren't cleaning it properly. Steal a bar of soap from the bathroom and twist your bristles gently across it (with the brush handle close to horizontal I mean) before your final rinse.

edit: added wet palette link

edit 2: added these here pictures

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 29, 2009

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
Never, ever work straight from the pot, it will forever look like poo poo

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Jonny Nox posted:

I never work from the pot. Use a home-made wet palette using a chicken breast packing foamy thing, a paper towel and a piece of parchment paper.
http://www.camospecs.com/Article.asp?FictionID=14

Out of all the materials to make a wet palette with, you had to go for the one that could give you salmonella? :gonk:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Aranan posted:

Out of all the materials to make a wet palette with, you had to go for the one that could give you salmonella? :gonk:

umm, clean it first?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Aranan posted:

It's not like he's EATING IT

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I may just buy an inexpensive wet pallet rather than risk contracting CHICKEN AIDS.

I usually dip my brushes in a cup of warm water as I'm painting. Is there something better to use?

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Iron Squid posted:

I may just buy an inexpensive wet pallet rather than risk contracting CHICKEN AIDS.

I usually dip my brushes in a cup of warm water as I'm painting. Is there something better to use?

I find cold water works better for me. the warmth cures the paint quicker which might be why you're finding dried bits stuck in the bristles. just really wash it around well and kinda 'paint' the bottom of the cup with the brush.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

crime fighting hog posted:

It's not like he's EATING IT

As long as you don't put your brushes in your mouth you should be....

Oh dear.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Maybe I'm crazy. I just prefer using tupperware containers, or empty blister packs, or an old tin lid to foam that absorbs chicken juice. vv

[edit] Or at least pick one up that hasn't been used from your butcher/grocer.

Aranan fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 29, 2009

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

warm water can also loosen the bristles glued in the ferrule, causing them to fall out\

also: dont use chicken styro :wtc:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I'm about ready to make a wet pallet too. I'm loving tired of putting out gobs of paint and maybe using a quarter of it before it dries.

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
damp sponge under a piece of parchment paper. Bam!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

FirstCongoWar posted:

Never, ever work straight from the pot, it will forever look like poo poo

Wrong. If you're doing rank and file its fine.

If you're doing anything with blending or whatever then you need to thin them down.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

Bhyo posted:

Wrong. If you're doing rank and file its fine.

If you're doing anything with blending or whatever then you need to thin them down.

sorry dude unthinned paint looks like poo poo even in the middle of a rank of dudes.

I can appreciate wanting to save time on painting but let's be honest with ourselves.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

FirstCongoWar posted:

sorry dude unthinned paint looks like poo poo even in the middle of a rank of dudes.

I can appreciate wanting to save time on painting but let's be honest with ourselves.

Oh really?

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Un thinned paints all the way. Straight out of the pot on 99% of that. The only things I thinned were mixes for some of the gems because I didnt have the right colours.

So yeah its very possible. I wouldnt do it again because my painting looks so much nicer now but it can look good if you put the effort in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

Okay, that's very rad, but I will stand by my opinion for the other like 80% of people that don't paint that well.

• Locked thread