Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Cure for Optimism posted:

Try the front page, latest garbage day article. ;)

Hehe, thanks. :)

Pannus fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 26, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

private message
Aug 22, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
Any thoughts on the new Nokturnal Mortum? I'm not sure how I feel about the clean vocals in one song, but after 2 listens the album seems really good. And they finally have a drummer that doesn't sound exactly like a drum machine.

astounding_zlatan
Apr 27, 2003
---

astounding_zlatan fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 23, 2020

HorrorJunkie
Dec 12, 2006

My heart's as full as a baked potato!

Qu Appelle posted:

:nyd:

This thread needs more actual gay people in it, to freak you guys the gently caress out.

I'd be surprised and really depressed if anyone was honestly freaked out by a gay metalhead. Is there really anyone in this thread that doesn't have a friend or at least a very good acquaintance that is openly gay, if the answer is yes I'd be absolutely shocked.

astounding_zlatan
Apr 27, 2003
---

astounding_zlatan fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 23, 2020

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Sodomy is like one of the five pillars of black metal. Of course gays are accepted.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

pugna posted:

I really like it. It's not black metal any more, but it's epic and rocking and majestic and all that stuff. Track #4 is particularly awesome.

Yeah, whatever it is, it's pretty loving cool.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

You guys might be interested in watching Severed Ways. It's on Netflix instant watch for convenience.

some bloke posted:

"Severed Ways" features music by Popul Vuh, Burzum, Morbid Angel, Brian Eno, Dimmu Borgir, Queens of the Stone Age, and Judas Priest

It's actually pretty cool and nice to have on in the background, as it's essentially a 2 hour long Burzum music video.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Sue Denim posted:

Wow 'The Most Metal Things Ever!' article is hilarious, it even got a good response over on MA. I think this might be because they picked some good targets that just about everyone can see the humor in, didn't rag on one genre the whole time and didn't touch any scared cows. If the author's are reading this, I'd like to congratulate them on such a well written article.

Thanks :). I'm actually surprised it's gone this far, the origins of that article are really just a troll on a PYF thread.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

stairway to hippo posted:

Sodomy is like one of the five pillars of black metal. Of course gays are accepted.

This is good. Seriously.

However, the word 'fag' as insult does make me uncomfortable, and not just in an academic 'PC' sort of way. (It's not just on SA, either - I've heard it bantered around many times at various metal shows and the like.) And while there may not be explicit homophobia in the genre, an undercurrent of it is there, and I feel it's something that should at least be addressed somehow. And it looks like it is, with more artists coming out as LGBT and starting a dialogue with the metal scene about it.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 27, 2009

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
I've never really had a problem with people using fag as an insult, kind of like how I don't have a problem with people saying friend of the family, I guess it's because my friends use both as a general insult but kind of in an endearing way. I think it will be one of those words that will just be used as a general insult so much it will probably lose it's original meaning all together. So you know, there could be a positive side to it's use in such a general way thanks to the constantly evolving nature of linguistics.

I've never understood any homophobic sentiment from black metal fans based on bm ideologies, surely as being so widely regarded as a sin it should be up there with the most blasphemic of acts. Really, any fan who takes black metal ideologies seriously should be engaging in homosexual practice regardless of sexual orientation to do their part, otherwise they are just plainly not contributing to the community.

So guys, I've been pretty out of the loop this year, the only metal album I have from this year is Amesoeurs out of pure interest as to how it would turn out. I lost interest in music all together for a while so needless to say I haven't really been keeping up with what has been released this year, I have no doubt I've probably missed a hundred Drowning the Light releases for a start.

What would you guys consider to be the essential black metal albums of 2009?

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Dec 27, 2009

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Sue Denim posted:

What would you guys consider to be the essential black metal albums of 2009?

Well, maybe not essential, but some of my favorites this year:

Gorgoroth - Quantos Possunt Ad Satanitatem Trahunt
Skeletonwitch - Breathing the Fire
Belphegor - Walpurgis Rites- Hexenwahn
Marduk - Wormwood
*Nazxul - Iconoclast
*Drudkh - Microcosmos
Anaal Nathrakh - In The Constellation Of The Black Widow
Goatwhore - Carving Out The Eyes Of God
Old Man's Child - Slaves Of The World
*Oranssi Pazuzu - Muukalainen Puhuu
Wolves In The Throne Room - Black Cascade
Wolves In The Throne Room - Malevolent Grain
*Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II - Dialogue With The Stars
Vreid - Milorg

That should keep you pretty busy for a while. The four with stars beside them I would consider essential for the year because they're so damned good.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Thanks! You just got me super excited about a new Nazxul album, I thought they were inactive?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Sue Denim posted:

Thanks! You just got me super excited about a new Nazxul album, I thought they were inactive?

They got back together in 2008, lost a member in a car accident, replaced him, and recorded Iconoclast in 2009. It's a fantastic album.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Qu Appelle posted:

This is good. Seriously.

However, the word 'fag' as insult does make me uncomfortable, and not just in an academic 'PC' sort of way. (It's not just on SA, either - I've heard it bantered around many times at various metal shows and the like.) And while there may not be explicit homophobia in the genre, an undercurrent of it is there, and I feel it's something that should at least be addressed somehow. And it looks like it is, with more artists coming out as LGBT and starting a dialogue with the metal scene about it.

The metal scene (black metal included) has always been extremely male dominated, and the culture certainly has a macho element to it. I think a certain degree of homophobia will always be present in such a setting, and I've heard a lot of homophobic bullshit from metalheads. A lot of metal heads are pretty open minded too, though.

A lot of people are very concerned about the "ideology" of black metal. The only aspect of it (whatever it might be) that is really important to me is individuality. That means freedom of choice, and not giving a poo poo what kind of genitals other people enjoy fondling. I guess homophobia may be rather prevalent in the NSBM subgenre considering what Hitler thought about gays, but I don't care much for NSBM anyway, so I wouldn't know.

I've read some juvenile comments about Gaahl, formerly of Gorgoroth, coming out of the closet. But except from the people commenting on youtube vids, it seems like most people don't really care about his sexuality. I don't like him very much, but that has nothing to do with him being gay.

Completely unrelated: The first two Carpathian Forest albums own.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

I've read some juvenile comments about Gaahl, formerly of Gorgoroth, coming out of the closet. But except from the people commenting on youtube vids, it seems like most people don't really care about his sexuality. I don't like him very much, but that has nothing to do with him being gay.

Yeah I was just about to mention Gaahl is openly gay ... and you cant deny hes a largely influential part of Black Metal. Actually, Gaahl is my biggest influence and what brought me further into Black Metal, especially interest as a Vocalist ... but more for the Trelldom side of things because my favorite Gorgoroth albums are only up to Destroyer. Although I like all of them, I listen to the later less often.

And call me an rear end in a top hat, but I just started listening to Borknagar - The Olden Domain and it rocks. No seriously, call me an rear end in a top hat. My Black Metal collection actually isnt very extensive. I dont hoard every album out there, I tend to over use and abuse the ones I love for months until I get bored and search for another one to love then I quit my searches again. Been pretty wrapped on Ulver - Bergtatt for the past few weeks so exited my search.

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

HELLO, YES, THIS IS BUBBLE BATHORY. LOOKS LIKE WE'VE GOT A BADASS OVER HERE WHO CAN'T STOP POSTING ABOUT HOW MUCH HE LOVES MEMES.

THAT'S THE JOKE.

Plasma1010 posted:

Yeah I was just about to mention Gaahl is openly gay ... and you cant deny hes a largely influential part of Black Metal. Actually, Gaahl is my biggest influence and what brought me further into Black Metal, especially interest as a Vocalist ... but more for the Trelldom side of things because my favorite Gorgoroth albums are only up to Destroyer. Although I like all of them, I listen to the later less often.

And call me an rear end in a top hat, but I just started listening to Borknagar - The Olden Domain and it rocks. No seriously, call me an rear end in a top hat. My Black Metal collection actually isnt very extensive. I dont hoard every album out there, I tend to over use and abuse the ones I love for months until I get bored and search for another one to love then I quit my searches again. Been pretty wrapped on Ulver - Bergtatt for the past few weeks so exited my search.

Agreeing with you on the Gaahl stuff, and I'm the exact same way with records.
Only in the past week or so have I been seriously going against my usual routine and just digging away at all kinds of BM.

A lot of great stuff has come out recently. I personally can't give Drudkh enough praise. Definitely a new favorite.

Noktorn
May 30, 2008
So after a million years my band finally has some tracks up on Myspace. Unmixed tracks from our full-length album. Check it out.

https://www.myspace.com/aforestpath

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Plasma1010 posted:

rear end in a top hat :)

Now go out and get the rest.

I actually do the exact same thing. My most recent purchase finally included some Moonsorrow, and I'm kicking myself for not getting into this band for so long. That has been rectified! And I cannot wait until they come to town in April!

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Qu Appelle posted:

I actually do the exact same thing. My most recent purchase finally included some Moonsorrow, and I'm kicking myself for not getting into this band for so long. That has been rectified! And I cannot wait until they come to town in April!

Hurrah! Kai's and my nagging finally paid off then. Hävitetty is my favourite album. Also jealous that they're touring North America again. :( come back to Europe, you Finnish layabouts!

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Plasma1010 posted:

Yeah I was just about to mention Gaahl is openly gay ... and you cant deny hes a largely influential part of Black Metal.
Gaahl would definitely be a top, I can't even imagine what type of a giant and intimidating man it would take to have him as a bottom.

I knew one of the Gorgoroth members had to be gay! When they're tour rider was released I noticed that it had strawberry flavored condoms and I thought unless one if them was homosexual I couldn't really imagine them caring too much about having flavored condoms.

As far as their music goes I'd have to say Antichrist is my favorite album and that I really admire how consistent the quality of their releases has been over the years without being one trick ponies. I think one of the major pitfalls of the genre for many bands is that even if they have consistent material often each album is just more of the same which always dissapoints me.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 28, 2009

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Sue Denim posted:

Gaahl would definitely be a top, I can't even imagine what type of a giant and intimidating man it would take to have him as a bottom.
You be the judge

Pannus fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 28, 2009

Noktorn
May 30, 2008

Sue Denim posted:

I knew one of the Gorgoroth members had to be gay! When they're tour rider was released I noticed that it had strawberry flavored condoms and I thought unless one if them was homosexual I couldn't really imagine them caring too much about having flavored condoms.

Actually the members of Gorgoroth are most likely pedophiles. Actually not a joke. There was a story a while back about a Mexican concert promoter getting asked where they could get child prostitutes and this was corroborated by a friend of mine who is close friends with a Colombian booking agent. Their main request: five 12-year-old boys.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Noktorn posted:

Actually the members of Gorgoroth are most likely pedophiles. Actually not a joke. There was a story a while back about a Mexican concert promoter getting asked where they could get child prostitutes and this was corroborated by a friend of mine who is close friends with a Colombian booking agent. Their main request: five 12-year-old boys.

I somehow can't believe your story. Even if it were true, it most likely would be for some satanic sacrafice or something.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Noktorn posted:

Yeah, this is not true. King Ov Hell actually works as a teacher in a primary school. They used to have a link to NAMBLA on their website, but that was likely meant to provoke. They also had some hilarious crayon-drawings in the fan-art section.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Noktorn posted:

Actually I find this hard to believe

Actually

private message posted:

Any thoughts on the new Nokturnal Mortum? I'm not sure how I feel about the clean vocals in one song, but after 2 listens the album seems really good. And they finally have a drummer that doesn't sound exactly like a drum machine.

I finally got around to checking this out, it's loving great. Not the same as their older stuff at all, but really good.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ElectricWizard posted:

Yeah, this is not true. King Ov Hell actually works as a teacher in a primary school.

That's a really hilarious mental picture even though I know he probably doesn't wear corpsepaint and shriek multiplication tables at small children.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

It's possible they would put something like that on their rider, but it's obviously just a shock/joke thing. If they were actually planning to have sex with little boys, I'm sure they would be a little less blatant about it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

IRQ posted:

That's a really hilarious mental picture even though I know he probably doesn't wear corpsepaint and shriek multiplication tables at small children.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Mudflap McDirt posted:

I don't think anyone would let Infernus near children, at least that guy's got a criminal record. Loving the concept though.

edit: Unless that's actually a photo of King I haven't seen before, in which case I'm a moron. :downs:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

ElectricWizard posted:

I don't think anyone would let Infernus near children, at least that guy's got a criminal record. Loving the concept though.

edit: Unless that's actually a photo of King I haven't seen before, in which case I'm a moron. :downs:

Whoops that is Infernus :sweatdrop:

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Noktorn posted:

Well give us some hard evidence to this Rumor please.

Sue Denim posted:

As far as their music goes I'd have to say Antichrist is my favorite album and that I really admire how consistent the quality of their releases has been over the years without being one trick ponies.

Yeah and basically all the side projects have been loving awesome as well. Jotunspor (Kvitrafn and King), I (Abbath, King), Gaahlskagg (Gaahl and Skagg) and Wardruna (Gaahl, Kvitrafn) are just top notch. I will actually be really disappointed if before Gaahl quits the BM scene him and King dont do at least one God Seed album.

Noktorn posted:

So after a million years my band finally has some tracks up on Myspace. Unmixed tracks from our full-length album. Check it out.

https://www.myspace.com/aforestpath

Pretty cool. Im feeling more Death and not much Black though ... and I am not one to comment on Death because I have no reference point.

Noktorn
May 30, 2008

Plasma1010 posted:

Well give us some hard evidence to this Rumor please.

What hard evidence am I supposed to provide of two different bits of hearsay? I'm hardly going to get a written documentation of the kid-rape.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Noktorn posted:

What hard evidence am I supposed to provide of two different bits of hearsay? I'm hardly going to get a written documentation of the kid-rape.

You could send him a letter or something.

"Hey - Infernus? Would you be willing to sign this affidavit stating that you illegally sought out the company of underage foreign boys for the purpose of intimate company? Oh, and I loved your guitars on 'En Stram Lukt av Kristent Blod'. They were, like, totally brutal and evil and stuff.

Stay metal,
Noktorn."

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 29, 2009

Noktorn
May 30, 2008

It's possible they would put something like that on their rider, but it's obviously just a shock/joke thing. If they were actually planning to have sex with little boys, I'm sure they would be a little less blatant about it.

Why? They do it in third-world countries where child prostitution is common and difficult track. People will assume it's just for shock value even if they say they do it. Easiest way to hide something is in plain sight. I mean obviously the poo poo I've heard is no guarantee but the Mexico story has been circulating around for years now and to hear it corroborated by my Colombian friend is pretty damning in my mind. Especially when Gaahl's tastes as far as boys go are already a tad questionable.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

Noktorn posted:

Why? They do it in third-world countries where child prostitution is common and difficult track. People will assume it's just for shock value even if they say they do it. Easiest way to hide something is in plain sight. I mean obviously the poo poo I've heard is no guarantee but the Mexico story has been circulating around for years now and to hear it corroborated by my Colombian friend is pretty damning in my mind. Especially when Gaahl's tastes as far as boys go are already a tad questionable.

Asking the singer of Baby Basher is not "corroborating evidence." Besides, Colombian =/= Mexican. Unless he was the one getting plowed or selling little boys to Gaahl, I don't think Alex is them ost reliable resource.

I've heard this story tons of times, but it'd be drat near impossible to prove.

thepitgoddess fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 29, 2009

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Mudflap McDirt posted:

Shadows of the Sun is one of my favorite albums ever. Hell, I spent like $40 on a vinyl copy.

Where'd you find one?

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Mudflap McDirt posted:

Well, maybe not essential, but some of my favorites this year:

Gorgoroth - Quantos Possunt Ad Satanitatem Trahunt
Skeletonwitch - Breathing the Fire
Belphegor - Walpurgis Rites- Hexenwahn
Marduk - Wormwood
*Nazxul - Iconoclast
*Drudkh - Microcosmos
Anaal Nathrakh - In The Constellation Of The Black Widow
Goatwhore - Carving Out The Eyes Of God
Old Man's Child - Slaves Of The World
*Oranssi Pazuzu - Muukalainen Puhuu
Wolves In The Throne Room - Black Cascade
Wolves In The Throne Room - Malevolent Grain
*Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II - Dialogue With The Stars
Vreid - Milorg

That should keep you pretty busy for a while. The four with stars beside them I would consider essential for the year because they're so damned good.

You should also check out Absu- S/T.
Its loving awesome :D

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn

Noktorn posted:

Especially when Gaahl's tastes as far as boys go are already a tad questionable.

Haha what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Caucasus Belli posted:

Haha what

I think he's trying to say Gaahl's lovers are not up to par for a man of his influence in black metal.

At least, that's what I got out of it.