Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serious Business
Jun 22, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

Comatoast posted:

What exactly is there to "oh god" about? It looks pretty functional to me.

In a barn, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Serious Business posted:

In a barn, maybe.

I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with your eyes. It's not "omg" quality...but

Serious Business posted:

haha, oh god... oh god, oh god... really?

really?

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Serious Business posted:

In a barn, maybe.

I dunno, I like it. Replace that Acer with a 24" ACD and it would be fantastic minimalism.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Thorpe posted:

Is that an Axe-FX ultra I see there?

Hell yes it is!

And I'll say this about it: I've been playing guitar for about 13 years, and during that time I've worked in several music stores, have owned several very nice tube amps, and have generally been a giant nerd about guitar tone. I have never been more satisfied with my tone and happy to play the guitar than when I've playing through this thing. It's amazing. I sold two tube amps I had at the time to get it and I haven't missed them at all since they've been gone. In fact, I've pretty much been able to duplicate them exactly.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 28, 2009

Serious Business
Jun 22, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

timb posted:

I dunno, I like it. Replace that Acer with a 24" ACD and it would be fantastic minimalism.

It's not the computer equipment, I just thought it looked like where a child would sit. I'm probably being to harsh.

Apps
Oct 3, 2009

Serious Business posted:

It's not the computer equipment, I just thought it looked like where a child would sit. I'm probably being to harsh.
You never posted your setup.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
I don't believe in mousepads. It's against my religion.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

GreatGreen posted:

Hell yes it is!

And I'll say this about it: I've been playing guitar for about 13 years, and during that time I've worked in several music stores, have owned several very nice tube amps, and have generally been a giant nerd about guitar tone. I have never been more satisfied with my tone and happy to play the guitar than when I've playing through this thing. It's amazing. I sold two tube amps I had at the time to get it and I haven't missed them at all since they've been gone. In fact, I've pretty much been able to duplicate them exactly.

Oh man, I just have a Pod X3 live at the moment but after hearing some of the stuff those things can do, and not having to fight with the drat thing to get good tone, Ive definitely started saving up for one.

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

Yeah it's an mStand.

Trapdoor posted:

Haha, tiny rear end window. :smug:

Sometimes I get tired of the big ones :smugbert:

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.

Panthrax posted:

I don't believe in mousepads. It's against my religion.

I'm the same way, my desk is a pretty good mousepad on its own.

Trapdoor
Jun 7, 2005
The one and only.

Dogcow posted:

Sometimes I get tired of the big ones :smugbert:

Sometimes I get tired of mine too. :smugbert:

edit: To be fair that picture is from work, and I have to take maybe 6-7 steps to see that.

Trapdoor fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 29, 2009

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Thorpe posted:

Oh man, I just have a Pod X3 live at the moment but after hearing some of the stuff those things can do, and not having to fight with the drat thing to get good tone, Ive definitely started saving up for one.

Do this. Save up and buy one. I can say without a doubt that every single shred of hype about this thing is absolutely true. Normally, I hate hype because nothing can ever live up to it. This thing lives up to it. It can take a while to build a really great sounding patch just because you have so much freedom to tweak every little parameter you can think of and then some, but brilliant sounds (a whole lot of them actually) are definitely in there. Don't let that intimidate you though. It's not hard to operate so much as that it's so open ended that you have to approach the whole thing with a different mindset. You really need to have a good idea as to the type of sound you want before you start making a particular patch or you'll spend all day twisting knobs and fiddling around, and although that in itself can be great fun on a slow Sunday, it's normally counter-productive when you're trying to get somewhere. :)

sorry for the derail, by the way

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 29, 2009

supdns
Nov 1, 2004
Does anyone have experience with those ergonomic kneeling chairs? They seem like they would be helpful for posture and your back, but it doesn't seem like they would be comfortable for very long sessions at the computer.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

mcwaite posted:

Does anyone have experience with those ergonomic kneeling chairs? They seem like they would be helpful for posture and your back, but it doesn't seem like they would be comfortable for very long sessions at the computer.

They are not. They are pretty comfy in stints but the lack of back support means you will start to slouch over periods, and then it is just horrible. It is also a bitch if you have any kind of knee injury. I have one from when I was a kid and it almost never bothers me, but it sucked when I used to have one of those chairs.

Downtime
Sep 25, 2009
A little messy, and the lighting wasn't amazing.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Downtime posted:

I hope you don't actually keep browser windows maximized on the 30" monitor.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Boring stuff. Need more screens.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

GreatGreen posted:

holy poo poo AxeFX :circlefap:

What power amp are you using with it? I can't make it out. VHT?

Downtime
Sep 25, 2009

Erwin posted:

I hope you don't actually keep browser windows maximized on the 30" monitor.

Nope, that was just so there was something on the display for when I took the pic. I generally keep browsers on the side screens.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Downtime posted:

What is it like having an absurd amount of monitor real estate?

Also, how do you feel when you use a 17" monitor?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

I'm the guy who complained that he couldn't fit a 27'' iMac on his desk in the Mac Hardware Thread. :v: Most of the time the second monitor is off, I probably should pick up a mini-DP to VGA adapter but I don't think I would have a real use for that monitor.

Downtime
Sep 25, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

What is it like having an absurd amount of monitor real estate?

Also, how do you feel when you use a 17" monitor?

Luckily I don't know of anyone who has a 17" monitor so I'm not troubled by that. The real estate is nice, overwhelming at first but it was easy to get adjusted to. It is nice playing games on it (especially when wrapped to all 3 screens), though I will need to upgrade my 8800gts soon as it is starting to show its age. I use 19's at work, but I use multiple there as well so I am never stuck using just one screen.

Some studies were done that showed using just 1 extra monitor could increase productivity by 9% to 50%. I have been using multiple for years and can't see myself going back to just 1. LCD's keep dropping in price so its a good time to invest in a multi-screen setup imo.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Click here for the full 1539x1155 image.

Did some cleaning over the holiday break. Moved my 2nd computer and 360 elsewhere, took out one of the monitors (left a 24" and a 19" behind, 1920x1200 and 1680x1050 resolution on both) to keep with the other computer, cleaned off the desk, and installed a blu-ray drive for fun. Also picked up a rotating stand for my gateway so I can flip it around when I want to. Finally, I also got rid of my g15 and picked up a Logitech wave to use instead. (There's still a mass of cables running around, but I'll deal with that eventually....)

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Is that the Cooler Master HAF, how do you like it? Ive been looking at cases for my next computer build and I'm in a toss up at the moment between the HAF and the Stacker 830. I currently have the previous model Stacker and really like it but I need to get another case for this build.

Terrybogard
Dec 29, 2009

Guess I should look into spending 30minutes & cleaning...

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002

Downtime posted:

I still don't understand what is so amazing about the Jerker. Sure it looks like it will do the job, but I don't see anything that makes people go on and on about it.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

SmirkingJack posted:

I still don't understand what is so amazing about the Jerker. Sure it looks like it will do the job, but I don't see anything that makes people go on and on about it.

Hey now, that's the Dave Matthews Band of Desks you're talking about!

- J -
Jan 11, 2007

Downtime posted:

Dude, you're web browsing on your gaming screen! How can you live like that!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

warwick5s posted:

holy poo poo AxeFX :circlefap:

What power amp are you using with it? I can't make it out. VHT?

I'm using a VHT 2/90/2. It's 98 watts per side and uses four KT-88 tubes (two per side), which have a little more dynamic range, frequency bandwidth, and headroom than most other types of tubes, which basically means the loudest louds and the quietest quiets are a little farther apart, and it can handle lower bass frequencies and higher treble frequencies than most tubes. Also, because of the high wattage, it's a very clean sounding amp. Very hard to break up. Loud. As. gently caress. But, the volume knob is extremely impressive. It has a very gradual curve so you have a lot of control over the actual volume, even at TV and bedroom levels. The volume knob doesn't have that spot where it jumps from barely audible to LOUD OH MY GOD in 1 degree of movement like a lot of amp heads do. Also, the KT-88 tubes are a little more transparent than other tube types, which really pairs well with something as diverse as the Axe-Fx.

Looking back, I would have probably been just as well off with a VHT 2/50/2 which uses EL-34 tubes. Both amps sound fantastic, but a quad of EL-34's are cheaper to replace :). Also, at the volumes I usually play at (not very loud), I probably wouldn't hear much of a difference anyway. I'll say this though, I've never had as much control over my sound and had as much fun playing guitar as I do with this rig. It's great. Can't wait to upgrade the cab to something better.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 30, 2009

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Downtime posted:

snap, but i have a linak adjustable height desk
(and I don't really game tbh)

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002

Trustworthy posted:

Hey now, that's the Dave Matthews Band of Desks you're talking about!

It will crash into me if I try to use it?

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

According to The Oxford English Dictionary, the word "snapshot" was originally a hunting term.
Home for winter break, living like poo poo.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Hello, this is my desk. I like it to be nice and neat.

Click here for the full 1109x656 image.

I often like to watch TV while I am at my desk, so I keep that close by as well.

Click here for the full 1097x648 image.

ndrz
Oct 31, 2003

Jealous Cow posted:

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Boring stuff. Need more screens.

You have the cables reversed on your AV-40s right? Otherwise your sound is backwards. Make sure to wear those headphones backwards too.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

tk posted:

I often like to watch TV while I am at my desk, so I keep that close by as well.

Click here for the full 1097x648 image.

I envy you. A Mirra and the overpriced Galant that I want.

How do you like the Mirra?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

vty posted:

I envy you. A Mirra and the overpriced Galant that I want.

How do you like the Mirra?

It is a very nice chair. More comfortable than I thought it would be.

Terrybogard
Dec 29, 2009

niss posted:

Is that the Cooler Master HAF, how do you like it? Ive been looking at cases for my next computer build and I'm in a toss up at the moment between the HAF and the Stacker 830. I currently have the previous model Stacker and really like it but I need to get another case for this build.

Get the CM Haf, you'll love it. The only gripe people find with it is that the inside isn't painted black as well, which you can just do yourself. I was going to get the HAF to go with my Core i7 build, but the GF ended up surprising me with the Corsair 800D for Christmas O.O

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

tk posted:

As a minimalist, this is fantastic. I also have nothing but my computer on my desk. Doesn't that extra space make you want something else there, though? I couldn't fit much more than my computer on this desk, but you've got room for another monitor, at least!

Then again, that would probably block the view of the TV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

SmirkingJack posted:

At the time? It was cheaper than most equivalent desks elsewhere and built like a tank. In a nuclear holocaust the Jerkers will remain in tact, gain sentience, and carry the torch of humanity.

Now? I have no clue. It is a solid desk but the value is kind of gone.