Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

GoodShipNostalgia posted:

Just got a PSP and Dissidia. Do you guys have any tips?

Learn to dodge. Learn to dodge. Learn to dodge. Also, learn to dodge.

sexual rickshaw posted:

I should be getting in Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2 from Gamefly in the next few days. Any tips for that?

Burning Gundam is the best gundam in the game. Master Gundam comes in a very close second.

They don't explain it well, but your pilot of choice learns skills from the mobile suit you choose to pilot for that particular mission. The percentage next to them is the chance your pilot will learn them and they increase as your pilot levels up, so pick up your licenses ASAP and diversify.

Serene Mind and High Tension = Win Button for all top tier gundams. Burning Gundam can oneshot most Aces with his ultimate Hyper SP attack, because it creates 2 Burning Shadows that move and attack as you do. If you do Burning Slash Typhoon while this is active, you will hit an Ace 80+ times in the span of a couple seconds. They can't do additional SP attacks with you, but you can control them if you're getting knocked around. Learn it, love it.

There will be an opportunity to become a Newtype on all non-Newtype characters, allowing you to pilot Newtype only mobile suits.

Mobile Armors suck, learn how to kill them quickly.

EDIT: You can research and upgrade parts before each mission. However there is one branch that requires you to sacrifice a part to make a new one. DON'T USE THIS ONE. It's a waste of time. And keep in mind that any parts you put in to upgrade or research can't be used by that mobile suit until your mission is over. The parts they will work on is randomly selected before each mission, but won't change until you work on them or pass on it. No sense in passing on them though.

Research and upgrade as much as you can. Your "engineers" have their own level that increases as they do stuff and you unlock better upgrades and parts the higher their level is.

Every Mobile Suit has it's own (usually very difficult) mission to unlock their highest level parts. Most of these are opened by doing their original pilot's missions up to a certain point.

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 29, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

sexual rickshaw posted:

I should be getting in Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2 from Gamefly in the next few days. Any tips for that?

Pick a main pilot for Mission Mode and stick to it. Unlocking skills, missions and mobile suit licenses can take literally dozens of hours, and these things don't carry over from one character to another. If you haven't unlocked the character you want to use, look it up, it's rarely very hard when you know what you're doing.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

McCoy Pauley posted:

Just started playing Assassin's Creed 1 (both on the 360 to the extent that matters)

For AC1, any general advice? I'm mainly interested in playing through the game before I start up AC2, so I'm not interested in tracking down all the achievements. Is there any particular reason to press a button during the cutscenes when that weird static shows up? Also, is the game autosaving all the time, or do I need to do something specific to save progress when I have to quit in the middle of a section (or memory, or whatever it's called)?

I'm someone that loved the first AC and got 1000/1000 achievements, so take it from me: don't bother with any of the flags. At all. There are around 400 flags, with different kinds for each different district of each town. If you take the time to track all of them down (like I did), you will get nothing but achievement points. Don't do it. Don't even look at the flags. The same goes for the Templars scattered around. They're cool to fight, but don't worry about killing them all.

Again, from someone that loved it, the game is really repetitive, and if you try to power through it in a few days you will hate it. If you take it slow, it grates on you a lot less.

I think you can skip the little side missions before an Assasination if you want to, but if you do most of them you get health upgrades or something.

Throwing knives are overpowered but wonderful.

If you make your way through it and hate it, still give AC2 a shot. It fixes every problem from the first one and is a massive, immersive game with so much more to offer.

Kayvall
Jan 15, 2008

Any advice for King's Bounty: Armored Princess? Haven't played either of the games before. Just started as a warrior.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Smirking_Serpent posted:

If you make your way through it and hate it, still give AC2 a shot. It fixes every problem from the first one and is a massive, immersive game with so much more to offer.

I wouldn't say it fixes every problem, the controls are still finicky as gently caress, and Ezio will go leaping off into a direction you weren't even looking at from time to time. Except this time, it doesn't mean instant death if Ezio decides on his own that he'd like to take a dip.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

GoodShipNostalgia posted:

Just got a PSP and Dissidia. Do you guys have any tips?

Every single character is terrible when you begin playing as them. As they get more skills, your opinion of them will change from "God this guy sucks!" to "Hey, this guy's actually not bad at all! :ocelot:". Firion is particularly guilty of this.

Pick a hero that handles in a way you like and stick with them through the storyline, the game is designed in such a way that levelling heroes is at first a lot easier than levelling villians, after beating the main game an option called Duel Coliseum will unlock that makes levelling villains a lot less stressful.

Don't worry too much if you don't have the funds for armour. All armour is shared, and often when you buy what you need for one person you'll discover it's what three or four other characters needed too, so it's a lot less money than you think.

Learn to dodge, and learn to block. If someone is giving you grief, block then counter.

Firion and Emperor have the best Ex Modes in the game, but it's a lot easier to utilize as Firion.

Jecht is extremely difficult to use properly but if you can learn how to properly chain his attacks he becomes an absolute monster, as you'll see when fighting against him. If you can't work it out look up some tutorials on Youtube, and remember if your chain ends with a Chase X you messed up the timing a fraction and can't tack a HP attack on the end.

At a certain point in the game you're probably going to want a ton of Megalixers and Rosetta Stones. The fastest way to get them is via. the Time Attack arcade mode, which is unlocked a lot later in the game. Beating it in under 15 minutes gets you the ingredients to buy 10 of each. Jecht is good for this.

Finally, a couple of ways you can abuse the bonus systems to your advantage. Bear in mind it won't be as fun this way, but if you want to mess around with a character without investing the time in levelling them it's useful.

Levelling from 1 to 100 in 60 seconds.
Get the Magic Pot summon from Cloud's storyline path. Equip whatever exp bonus items you have, Chocobo Wings and poo poo like that. Wait for your bonus day to roll around, and fight regular fights as whoever until you see an EXP multiplier show up in your play plan, ideally x5. Start a Quick Battle against a lvl100 character with easy to dodge HP attacks (ExDeath and Gabranth are both good for this). Let your character get hit by a Brave Attack and wait for your brave to reset before hitting Magic Pot (assuming their brave is 9999). Hit them once and laugh at all the exp you just got. Here's a video of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8n1e3LqVEo

But now you have lvl100 character with zero combat skills levelled. Not much use at all.

There's a way to get quick AP for levelling your skills also. It's not as fast as the levelling trick, but it's still much faster than playing normally.
Again on your bonus day, equip the character with the Diamond set of armour and a Diamond Ring (not necessary but it speeds up the process). Start a Quick Battle against a lvl1 Chaos and pay attention to the AP Bonus message at the start, that's the criteria you need to fulfill. If it says do below below a certain amount of HP damage with one hit, restart and try again. It will be the same criteria for all three of his forms. For fulfilling the criteria on all three forms you should get around 100 AP total for a few minutes fighting. Repeat as often as necessary.

If you have any more questions, either character specific or in general, post them here.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I want to play Mass Effect and was wondering if the PC version has been fixed. I remember people complaining about major bugs when it was released, have they been fixed? I have a 360 pad to use, is there anything else to know about?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

bbcisdabomb posted:

I want to play Mass Effect and was wondering if the PC version has been fixed. I remember people complaining about major bugs when it was released, have they been fixed? I have a 360 pad to use, is there anything else to know about?

It has been fixed, some random errors from system to system though.
Also use mouse+keyboard, and wrex. you want wrex.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ArmoredBlue posted:

I got Dragon Age for Christmas and have been playing it non-stop, but I was wondering if the enemies scale with you. I ask because in all the areas I think, "wow, thank god I didn't come here 3 levels ago", which would seem to make sense so the game doesn't punish you for taking on a quest too early.

They do to an extent. When you first enter an area, enemy level is scaled based on your level, but stays there. So if you leave to go level up elsewhere and come back, the fights will be significantly easier as the enemies have not leveled up.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I've just gotten the L4D + L4D2 pack from Steam. Considering I suck at anything even remotely resembling an FPS, am I going to have a hard time or is the game so much fun that I won't notice how much I (probably) fail at playing with any degree of skill?

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

The Blue Pyramid posted:

It's probably been stated before, but I don't have search nor the patience to go through 77 pages, but...

I just restarted Final Fantasy VII. Correction, I just started FFVII (We rented it once from Blockbuster when it first came out, my brother screwed up the plot somehow and disc 4 broke at Omega Weapon, and I personally never got to play past escaping Midgar).

I'm currently at the Don Corneo mission. What should I know about playing the game? I grew up with FFVIII, and am much more comfortable with the Junction system than with Materia; is it worth spending money on new materia when I find it in stores, or is it better to try and find it out in the world?

Also, just how does materia work? If I put materia in armour, is it like Junctioning in FFVIII in that I gain a resistance to that materia's element? Is it worth specializing each party member with different types of magic, as in one guy has fire and bolt, one guy has ice and water, one guy has healing and buffs? Or is it better to spread out materia so everyone has access to a few basic essential spells?

Also, is it worth buying every new weapon and armour upgrade? I've already spent several thousand gil upgrading everyone from Bronze to Iron to Titan to Mythril bangles; should I just save my gil and see what the world gives me?

I just recently beat this game this month. What I did was upgrade all of my equipment for the main characters in my party than gave their old armor to the guys I didn't have on the fighting team. Also, since I asked this a few pages back, I took the liberty of copying and pasting all of the info that they all gave me. Some of it is answering questions talked about in other quotes that I didn't include so some of it may not make sense, but you'll get the picture.

Here it is:

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Based on my own experiences as a young lad so ymmv:

For one the best way to get money without grinding is to level up All materia... they level up fast as poo poo and when mastered they sell for a lot of cash. Keep an eye on your weapons and armor, as certain weapons and armor have reduced or enhanced AP gain (or whatever it is materia needs to level up). With this in mind you can level up materia fast as gently caress if you get the proper equipment on someone that enhances the AP gain and dump all the materia you want to level on him/her.

You'll also probably notice that summon materia in particular lowers your stats pretty heavily, but honestly I never once cared about that when I played and honestly I'm not even sure what the stats do. The only time it MIGHT come up is with a particularly hard boss, but I have no memory of having to switch out materia because of stats, with the possible exception of HP as too many HP lowering materias can really put a dent in you.

Party Boat posted:

Unless you pile every summon materia onto one guy it really won't be an issue, so don't sweat your builds too much.

- Try to get cover and counter levelled on the same guy (Cloud is good for this as he's strong and has bags of HP) as at the highest level they'll be soaking up and countering every attack the enemies make.

- There are some great Enemy Skills available if you know where to look and you can use the command materia to easily get the attacks you need. White Wind in particular is a cheap and awesome healing spell for early on, you can earn it from these cactus-owl looking motherfuckers near Junon. Trine rules as well if I remember right.

- Put anyone that uses a gun in the back row. Makes no difference to their attack power but physical attacks do less damage to them.

- Limit breaks seemed to level up randomly when I first played but there is a pattern to it. You earn each new level by that character doing a certain amount of killing blows on enemies, and to get the second limit break in each level you have to use the first one a certain number of times.

- Fury status increases how fast your limit bar charges but with a higher miss rate. Sadness slows your limit bar and makes you take less damage. Fury's totally worth it so make sure you have plenty of Hypers to keep your characters in that state.

- When you're given the choice of front door or back stairs, stairs nets you nothing but an elixir and some funny dialogue. Front door gives you some tough fights but the XP, cash and items you get are worth it.

m2pt5 posted:

To add: Both hidden characters have the 'long range' ability on all of their weapons, and Barret has it on nearly all of his. There's also a Long Range support materia you can get that will add this effect to any weapon.

Cptn_Cuco posted:

Actually the materia system is not complicated, you'll get it right away. Best hint I can give you is to try different combinations on weapons with linked materia slots and see what comes out of it.

Still there are a couple of things worth knowing:

-The Final Attack + Phoenix combo that was mentioned before can be extremely useful when fighting against tough enemies. There's one (optional) fight where this is a must. Also linking anything with MP or HP absorb works wonders.
-There's this W-Item materia that allows you to use an item twice in a turn. You'll get a single shot to get it, I think it was in your second trip to Midgar. This materia is glitched, used in a certain way it will duplicate items, and this can be abused to get tons of whatever and sell the items or stock up on megalixirs and poo poo.
-I believe elemental materia can add elemental effects to your weapon and/or armor, this can be useful in certain battles.
-To get the most powerful summon materia you'll have to complete a chocobo breeding sidequest. This sidequest is a pain in the rear end and I don't know if it could be accomplished without a guide, but even with a guide it will take many hours. If you decide to go for it, keep in mind that this summon is game breaking, and will suck the fun out of the final battles if you use it. Still, it will make things a lot more bearable if you want to beat a couple of optional bosses.

That's about all I remember, hope it helps.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

SinetheGuy posted:

I just started playing Mass Effect. Got to the point where I command the ship. I'm playing as an Infiltrator, but I recently heard that hybrid classes are worse than pure classes. I wouldn't really mind starting over again, but gently caress if I'm going to go through all that dialogue again (har har). Is it worth it to play as a hybrid class? I don't know if I feel like shooting a pistol the whole time without all the tech benefits.

Any class works perfectly fine, just make sure you take party members who compliment your class and play style.

The pistol is an amazing gun if you get the marksmanship skill. You're in nearly constant rapid fire, and poo poo just falls over dead.

If you're intending to level a character up to transfer to ME2, don't stick any points in Charm or Intimidate for the first play through. You'll get several points for free just by doing the story, and everything on the first play through doesn't count, decision wise. Save you real decisions for the final run through on a character.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Kruller posted:

Any class works perfectly fine, just make sure you take party members who compliment your class and play style.

The pistol is an amazing gun if you get the marksmanship skill. You're in nearly constant rapid fire, and poo poo just falls over dead.

If you're intending to level a character up to transfer to ME2, don't stick any points in Charm or Intimidate for the first play through. You'll get several points for free just by doing the story, and everything on the first play through doesn't count, decision wise. Save you real decisions for the final run through on a character.

Each playthrough has an endgame save made for use in ME2. Just so in case you did a Paragon playthrough first and then a Renegade after and wanted to be a Paragon in ME2. At least I'm pretty sure.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

The level 60 version gives the best rewards for ME2, however.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I think you can skip the little side missions before an Assasination if you want to, but if you do most of them you get health upgrades or something.

You get health increases by doing them and completing missions, but there's a limit to how much health you can have. If you find it boring don't worry about doing them once you reach that max.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Jolo posted:

I've heard several times that the game is almost unplayable on the pc unless you turn on/off a certain option. Hardware cursor possibly, I'm sure someone else can chime in.

As for the game itself:

For the most part, you get ammo based on what you have with you. It's a good idea to limit yourself to 2 weapons instead of carrying around an arsenal. The plasma cutter is the first weapon you get and one of the best weapons in the game. I used the plasma cutter and the force gun and it worked well throughout the entire game.

I'd steer clear of the ripper and the flamethrower the first time through. They look cool, but aren't as easy to use effectively as some of the other guns.

I just picked Dead Space up too. I think you are right about ammo and weapons, and I am doing it wrong so far (carrying around 3 guns at once). It forces me to fill my inventory slots with too much ammo. The weapons are different and unique enough to make it really fun to figure out what they do though. I didn't understand the Line gun at all from the description. But the first time I fired it and cut a monster in half with a beam of energy...holy poo poo I understood it then.

The game is great in teaching you what to do, but for beginners I found out two things on accident I wouldn't have guessed at first. 1) use stasis on bad guys. 2) You can pick up a lot of things with the kinesis that you wouldn't guess. Just try. I had a half-life 2 moment when I noticed a saw blade on a table and threw it at a baddie.

It would be great to get some tips on upgrading, because so far it feels like I really don't know what's important.

Also, lights off and headphones on is the only way.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

ArmoredBlue posted:

I also got Batman: Arkham Asylum and I played about 10 minutes of it and am very excited to get through the rest of it. Any thoughts?

Take some time and practice fighting in the challenge mode on the first basic fighting challenge level you get. I read a bit online on how to affectively fight too. I think the first and most important rule is to never button mash. This game knows exactly what you mean to do if you just tell it with one click of the mouse/key/button.

The game will make you feel like a complete badass if you know how to fight. There is nothing like when you get to one of the great little setups where you take on 4 or 5 guards at once and you absolutely dismantle them in one continuous motion.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

casual poster posted:

FF7 stuff

Oh yeah, if you really want to min-max go to the materia screen, there should be a list of what stats get affected by equipping each materia in the bottom left I think. You really don't need to though.

When you get the prop plane head to an island called Mideel in the south east. If you run around on the beach there you'll fight sandworms that give you like 3000AP a shot, useful if you want to level materia in a hurry.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

That wiki of yours, Centipede, is getting poo poo all over by someone who is obsessed with seeming "cool" and "edgy" by continually making references to Lu Bu. We get it, whoever you are, you're totally "in the know" about video games culture and contemporary catch phrases. It doesn't take a trip to urbandictionary.com to tell that you're a complete oval office.

I just snagged myself a copy of the genuine "Homeworld-killer" that is O.R.B. - Offworld Resource Base. Anyone have any tips or tricks for this game? It's surprisingly difficult for me, despite my familiarity/obsession with the Homeworld series.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Faerie Fortune posted:

I've just gotten the L4D + L4D2 pack from Steam. Considering I suck at anything even remotely resembling an FPS, am I going to have a hard time or is the game so much fun that I won't notice how much I (probably) fail at playing with any degree of skill?

It's not like your standard run+gun FPS. Check out the Goon4Dead steam group thread in private servers. It will almost certainly be frustrating while you're learning to play because it is not very forgiving at all. Most Special Infected will render you helpless almost instantly, but your teammates can save you.

As survivor:
-Get a cheap microphone if you don't have one and use it to communicate with your team.
-Stay with your team at all times. Going alone = you will probably die. At the very least, you'll take more damage than you would if you were with your team.
-In L4D2, melee weapons are extremely powerful and can kill the Tank, toughest enemy in the game, in seconds. Each different melee weapon has its own small differences, so get to know which one you like best.

As infected (versus/scavenge mode):
-Attack with your team. You are relatively weak when you attack solo, unless it's a spot where you can isolate one survivor and his team can't come to save him.
-Learn the best attack spots for you. The different Special Infected play in radically different ways and need to attack from different positions. Usually, attacking from rooftops is a good bet for most situations (people generally don't look up and spot you).

I'm Sinistar on Steam, if you want you can add me and I'll help you out learning the basics in L4D1.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Party Boat posted:

Oh yeah, if you really want to min-max go to the materia screen, there should be a list of what stats get affected by equipping each materia in the bottom left I think. You really don't need to though.

When you get the prop plane head to an island called Mideel in the south east. If you run around on the beach there you'll fight sandworms that give you like 3000AP a shot, useful if you want to level materia in a hurry.

Yeah, summon's usually take away alot of HP. I think the pheonix one took away like 10% of your HP which sucked! Not to mention that summon wasn't even all that great.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Phoenix on its own is pretty mediocre but pair it with Final Attack and it can be a lifesaver in later boss fights. Yeah summons can really drop your max HP especially if you pile loads on the same guy, just stick to your strongest few and use HP+ materia to counteract it. Oh yeah HP+ loving rules by the way, get it on all your party members straight away.

Oh yeah when you switch party members around and need to swap materia go to arrange (just below the armour slots) then exchange. Took me ages to realise that was there.

gently caress I played FF7 a lot as a kid.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Agent Nick posted:

That wiki of yours, Centipede, is getting poo poo all over by someone who is obsessed with seeming "cool" and "edgy" by continually making references to Lu Bu. We get it, whoever you are, you're totally "in the know" about video games culture and contemporary catch phrases. It doesn't take a trip to urbandictionary.com to tell that you're a complete oval office.

Those tips all came from different people, actually, in the first couple of pages. Seems to have been a running joke at the beginning of the thread. So it wasn't one person, but rather multiple people, and it was easier to leave it all in that edit it out.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

MarikRoman posted:

Any advice for King's Bounty: Armored Princess? Haven't played either of the games before. Just started as a warrior.

Keep full stocks of armies at all times.

When you get your dragon, use it whenever you can, since it gains experience from its attacks.

Pick your battles wisely, and I'd recommend saving before each one since you don't really know when something is going to mess you up. There's a lot of walking around, avoiding enemies, and finding groups that won't completely obliterate you.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Just picked up Jade Empire from the Steam sale. Any tips or suggestion regarding the game?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

Just picked up Jade Empire from the Steam sale. Any tips or suggestion regarding the game?

Except for the final arena fight all the fights in the game are really easy, so character builds or anything like that isn't worth thinking about. Find a style you like and use it, the same goes for what stats you increase. I do recommend you have at least a bit of magic for the final fight in the game though.

Make sure to read all the scroll stands. Even if you don't give a poo poo about fluff each one gives gradually more experience, to the point where you'll get about a thousand for each one in the late game.

Evil and good (sorry, closed fist and open palm) fall in the same category as most other Bioware RPGs, in that they're arbitrary choices with very little real consequences. Off the top of my head I know they determine one magical style (earth for good which sucks, or lightning for evil which sucks a bit less.)

Normal Bioware RPG rules apply; talk to your companions when you're in camp, both the hot chicks and the hot dude can be romanced, Dawn Star only as male while Silk Fox and the dude I ignored the entire game are fair game for either gender.

Companions in this game work a bit differently. You can only have one and they either meditate and give you a passive bonus, or fight with you and be totally useless except as a damage soak. I always used the passive mana bonus since it allows you to heal, power up attacks, and a whole bunch of other poo poo.

I might've missed something but I think this covers you. Don't rush the game since the world and art are probably the game's strongest suite. Enjoy.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

It would be great to get some tips on upgrading, because so far it feels like I really don't know what's important.

Focus initially on upgrading the Plasma Cutter, Rig and whatever your favourite weapon is, in about that order. Maybe Stasis too if you use it a lot. Your first node should go in an Air upgrade on the Rig to give you a bit more (ahem) breathing space, but don't take any more Air nodes thereafter, stick with Health nodes. The Plasma Cutter is arguably the best weapon in the game and, if you upgrade it, stays lethal throughout. If you plan to use the Pulse Rifle be aware that if you don't upgrade it then it becomes hopelessly outclassed in later levels.

Finally, keep one power node in your inventory at all times to open node doors, it's always worth opening them.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Why is it worth upgrading the health on the Rig? I don't recall any full health recharges in the game, and the health packs refill a set amount every time. I didn't play through the whole game, but unless there's a monster that'll kill you in one hit without any health upgrades, I didn't see a reason to bother. Max HP is more a function of how many health packs you have at any given time, and not really worth spending nodes on.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Months behind, I just picked up Metal Gear Solid 4 today. I have learned that my stealth skills have been reduced to those of an incontinent ten year old. I've triggered like four alerts within five minutes of getting the Mk.II because I am hopeless and inept.

I know the game had become more friendly to runnin and gunnin over the sequels, but it doesn't feel right. Someone give me some tips on how not to tip off everyone in a five mile radius :(

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Ledneh posted:

Months behind, I just picked up Metal Gear Solid 4 today. I have learned that my stealth skills have been reduced to those of an incontinent ten year old. I've triggered like four alerts within five minutes of getting the Mk.II because I am hopeless and inept.

I know the game had become more friendly to runnin and gunnin over the sequels, but it doesn't feel right. Someone give me some tips on how not to tip off everyone in a five mile radius :(

Use the Solid Eye as much as possible, and get friendly with the locals. They can keep enemies occupied as you stealth by. Also, you can get even stealthier by going completely flat on the ground (can't remember the button for this), and hiding in grass. Also, stay aware of your surroundings. Don't be afraid to go tranq crazy too. You'll get better with practice. Then you'll be able to throw on your iPod and rock out to your favorite tunes as you masterfully sneak by everything.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Phenotype posted:

Why is it worth upgrading the health on the Rig? I don't recall any full health recharges in the game, and the health packs refill a set amount every time. I didn't play through the whole game, but unless there's a monster that'll kill you in one hit without any health upgrades, I didn't see a reason to bother. Max HP is more a function of how many health packs you have at any given time, and not really worth spending nodes on.
There are those tentacles that grab you into their hole and those that flatten you. Having a bit more health is always helpful in case you ran out of kits or just got hit too hard that one time you forgot to heal to full.

Go play impossible mode.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 30, 2009

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Scalding Coffee posted:

There are those tentacles that grab you into their hole and those that flatten you. Having a bit more health is always helpful in case you ran out of kits or just got hit too hard that one time you forgot to heal to full.

Go play impossible mode.

Also, if memory serves the game doesnt pause while you go into your inventory to heal, so having a bigger maximum health can be useful as it means you are less likely to die when you are trying to heal.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

SiKboy posted:

Also, if memory serves the game doesnt pause while you go into your inventory to heal, so having a bigger maximum health can be useful as it means you are less likely to die when you are trying to heal.

I forget which one it is, but one of the four directions on the pad (on the 360, at least) instantly uses a Healthpack, so you don't have to waste time in inventory.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Davoren posted:

Anyone got any advice for Ace Combat 6? I haven't played one of these since 2 on the Playstation.

First off, I'd recommend picking up 4, 5, and Zero on the cheap at eBay. They're all stellar games. If you have a PSP, grab Ace Combat X; the sound quality is spectacular (use some PC speakers or headphones, though), there is a veritable shitton of planes to unlock, and it lets you customize your plane with parts you earn on missions. But you didn't ask about those games, did you?

There have been several modifications to the gameplay over the years, for better or worse (mostly better!). The first thing you'll notice is that most of the missions are loving l-o-n-g. Too many times I've gotten within a minute of the end, only to stupidly collide mid-air with another plane. Guess what happens then? You get to do it all over again!

Okay, enough bitching, I guess. One cool thing they added is a live airfield. To refuel and resupply on lots of maps you can land on your own (or capture an enemy's!) airfield right in the middle of the mission. Things keep going on around you while you're doing so, however, so make sure you sterilize the area before you come in for a landing.

It is now much, much easier to take down a target with your gun. Gone are the days of tearing rear end across the sky, chasing some jerk at close range while holding down the fire button--now, if you happen to be shooting and someone crosses your path, they're toast.

The d-pad issues orders to your wingman and allies. When you satisfy enough objectives, you will gain the ability to send friendly forces (air and ground alike) to attack a particular group of targets. This is really handy when there's a bunch of poo poo to do on a map--you can just make them do it for you!

Now, get up there and show those Soviets Estovakians who's boss!

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

Ensure you keep a decent amount of Focus in your build. The last boss uses the mechanic and you'll need to use your own to counter it or DIE HORRIBLY.

Alternately, completely finishing a certain quest in the Imperial City involving John Cleese(You'll understand when you get there) will net you a weapon(Should you choose it as the reward) which can drain enemy health, chi and focus with it's attacks. This WILL drain the last boss's focus.

Use your Harmonic Combos. They are instant-kills and guaranteed health/mana orbs, and thus can save your life, especially early on where things can actually kill you damm quickly.

The basic weapon you're given at game start, if their focus use is maxed out, can cost zero Focus to use. This is not true of the upgraded version you may find.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Party Boat posted:

Oh yeah when you switch party members around and need to swap materia go to arrange (just below the armour slots) then exchange. Took me ages to realise that was there.

Are you making GBS threads me? Everytime I did had to switch party members it was like a 5 min ordeal. gently caress.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Someone posted about The Witcher before but didn't get a response.
I just picked up this game to, and I'm enjoying it immensely, but the amount of things to do seem overwhelming. What starting talents are good and should be picked first?

I just got to The Outskirts of the village, done/doing some small quests (barghest skulls, lighting fires and similar).

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

After you beat Batman: Arkham Asylum , is there any way to make it so there are bad guys to fight while going around and collecting all the trophies you missed the first time? Like some random bad guy generator mod or something? If there isn't, then I probably won't bother getting all the trophies as its just too boring walking around in that empty place.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Since the Modern Warfare 2 thread moves along at a pretty fast clip and mostly reads like Greek to me, I guess I'll ask this here. Having just picked it up (for the 360, to the extent it matters), and have not played any MP in Modern Warfare 1 (except back when the beta for that game was out), anything I should keep in mind as I'm starting out in the MP in Modern Warfare 2? What does this stuff about "prestige" mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

:poland: :poland: :poland:

McCoy Pauley posted:

Since the Modern Warfare 2 thread moves along at a pretty fast clip and mostly reads like Greek to me, I guess I'll ask this here. Having just picked it up (for the 360, to the extent it matters), and have not played any MP in Modern Warfare 1 (except back when the beta for that game was out), anything I should keep in mind as I'm starting out in the MP in Modern Warfare 2? What does this stuff about "prestige" mean?

I'll admit I don't know much, but watching my roommate play it every day and then playing part one, I might know a thing or two. Prestige, if it works like in part one, is when you reach level 60 or whatever the max level is, then restart at level 1 as a prestige class or something stupid. Basically it's a way of continuing to gain levels after you've maxed out, and doesn't really do anything useful.

At least I think