Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adante
Sep 18, 2003
lol. Upgraded to 9.10 a few days ago.

Now the base 2.6.31-16-generic kernel doesn't boot.

So I dropped back to 2.6.28-17 kernel image. But now audio doesn't work.

As I nowadays find myself less and less inclined to spend 20+ hours fixing fundamental things like this over and over again, I was wondering if anybody knew of a quick fix for this problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

adante posted:

As I nowadays find myself less and less inclined to spend 20+ hours fixing fundamental things like this over and over again, I was wondering if anybody knew of a quick fix for this problem?

Try upgrading to a different kernel. There are some in synaptic.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Vague question time....What got all of you linux gurus started on linux? I've thought about trying to get a good grasp on linux to add a skillset to my extremely bare resume. I just can't think of any beginner projects to tackle or things that I could use linux for at my house to help me learn the system. I work tier 1 support for an ISP so I drat sure don't need/use it at work.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

Vague question time....What got all of you linux gurus started on linux? I've thought about trying to get a good grasp on linux to add a skillset to my extremely bare resume. I just can't think of any beginner projects to tackle or things that I could use linux for at my house to help me learn the system. I work tier 1 support for an ISP so I drat sure don't need/use it at work.

i tried it through hearsay and thought it was up my alley. When i tried it on my laptop, the sound drivers didn't work. So i went through the forums and fixed it, mainly through command line. I then switched to debian and found that not only did my sound not work, but also wifi and my nvidia driver. So i went through the same process, looked things up and fixed them mainly through command line.

I then experimented with packages and going through configurations and played with experimental packages and whatnot to get a hold of how the linux operating system worked. Finally, i went through the installation of Arch linux and honed in some of my command line skills.

The most important thing is to not get lazy and stick to one thing all the time. Try different programs and set them up how you like them. I would also suggest reading up on how certain projects around the open source community are doing. I occasionally check up on the nouveau and radeon free drivers to see what they've added along with btrfs and wine.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
So I guess installing and running linux off a thumbdrive isnt that stable? I just installed ubuntu server 9.10 on my 8 gig thumbdrive and it randomly crashes and spews forth random lines of code.

My setup was going to be odd, Im using a hp slimline case with two 1TB harddrives in it for data and then I was either going to install and run unbuntu off the thumbdrive or a harddrive using HP's expansion port which is just a USB 2.0b connector.

should I just install ubuntu on one of the harddrives?

rugbert fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 28, 2009

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

rugbert posted:

So I guess installing and running linux off a thumbdrive isnt that stable? I just installed ubuntu server 9.10 on my 8 gig thumbdrive and it randomly crashes and spews forth random lines of code.

My setup was going to be odd, Im using a hp slimline case with two 1TB harddrives in it for data and then I was either going to install and run unbuntu off the thumbdrive or a harddrive using HP's expansion port which is just a USB 2.0b connector.

should I just install ubuntu on one of the harddrives?

I haven't tried server from a thumb drive but it should run fine. What crashes/errors are you getting?

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

Bob Morales posted:

I haven't tried server from a thumb drive but it should run fine. What crashes/errors are you getting?

stuff like this:
code:
[98.168002] [<c013dbd7>] ? try_to_wake_up=0xf7/0x350
[98.168002] [<c0167236>] ? getnstimeofday+0x56/0110
could that be a issue with the ram? It happens like, 3 minutes in.

edit - nvm, its gotta be a hardware issue, I just installed using a sata harddrive and the same thing happened. looks like it happens after the computer pulls a DHCP address then restarts samba and openssh.

rugbert fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 28, 2009

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

rugbert posted:

stuff like this:

That's not nearly enough information to diagnose. You need to scroll up to find a line with something about "OOPS" or "PANIC" or "BUG" and post everything from that line down. What you have posted is just a very small section from the middle of a stacktrace, with no indication of what kind of problem happened or where the problem is.

That said, the most likely cause of kernel faults is hardware issues, with RAM being the most common hardware to fail.

Edit: Also, is it really 3 minutes in, or just 98 seconds in? Because if it's really 3 minutes in, then there's something extremely wrong with your system clock.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

ShoulderDaemon posted:

That's not nearly enough information to diagnose. You need to scroll up to find a line with something about "OOPS" or "PANIC" or "BUG" and post everything from that line down. What you have posted is just a very small section from the middle of a stacktrace, with no indication of what kind of problem happened or where the problem is.

That said, the most likely cause of kernel faults is hardware issues, with RAM being the most common hardware to fail.

Edit: Also, is it really 3 minutes in, or just 98 seconds in? Because if it's really 3 minutes in, then there's something extremely wrong with your system clock.

Yea more like 98 seconds.. I couldnt scroll up tho, my computer completely freezes. Installing ubuntu 8.04 server fixed it tho.

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns
when i ls -la my /var/log/apache2 directory, the access.log file looks like this:

code:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root adm      3663 2009-12-29 09:33 access.log
yet when I try to view the file, I get a permission denied error:

code:
7 12:32:41 chris@linode ~ $ less /var/log/apache2/access.log
/var/log/apache2/access.log: Permission denied
what gives?

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

nbv4 posted:

when i ls -la my /var/log/apache2 directory, the access.log file looks like this:

code:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root adm      3663 2009-12-29 09:33 access.log
yet when I try to view the file, I get a permission denied error:

code:
7 12:32:41 chris@linode ~ $ less /var/log/apache2/access.log
/var/log/apache2/access.log: Permission denied
what gives?

read and execute on directories above the file, see namei -m on linux.

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns

covener posted:

read and execute on directories above the file, see namei -m on linux.

thanks, sudo chmod o+x /var/log/apache2 did the trick. I had no idea you needed to be able to execute the directory to view whats inside...

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Just a quick question about Symlinking

I have a server that is doing call recording to /var/log/asterisk/spool/monitor/
The client installed a 1TB USB drive for me to record on. For a variety of reasons I can't change the programs config, so I'd like to sym link the old recording folder to the new one.

That's not hard to do, I realize, but the old path has a few gigs of recordings already in it. When I symlink it to the other path, how will it treat the files in the old path? Will the suddenly vanish?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I have a server that is doing call recording to /var/log/asterisk/spool/monitor/
The client installed a 1TB USB drive for me to record on. For a variety of reasons I can't change the programs config, so I'd like to sym link the old recording folder to the new one.

That's not hard to do, I realize, but the old path has a few gigs of recordings already in it. When I symlink it to the other path, how will it treat the files in the old path? Will the suddenly vanish?

They will dissapear I'm pretty sure, and only be recoverable by doing some file system level inode stuff. That's assuming ln will even let you do that. I think it will just say 'folder exists' an die out. You'll need to move the monitor folder onto the new drive and then create a symlink in spool. So you'll have to stop recording for a couple of minutes while the old recordings copy over.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Jerk McJerkface posted:

You could just mount the new drive at /var/log/asterisk/spool/monitor. That would let you keep whatever is in there on the old drive, though you'd have to unmount the new drive to see the old files.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Zom Aur posted:

You could just mount the new drive at /var/log/asterisk/spool/monitor. That would let you keep whatever is in there on the old drive, though you'd have to unmount the new drive to see the old files.

I didn't even think of that. Brilliant! I can just copy whats there to the new drive, wipe out the directory, and then mount the drive there. Thanks!

Nerf Herder
Sep 2, 2006

Scruffy-Looking
I'm looking for a distro to throw on a computer that would just let the user to access firefox.

I'm setting up a computer in a coffee shop. I would like to make it so that people can put in a email address and sign on for an allowed time then not let them log in for another allowed time.

any advice would be great.

emf
Aug 1, 2002

Nerf Herder posted:

I'm looking for a distro to throw on a computer that would just let the user to access firefox.

I'm setting up a computer in a coffee shop. I would like to make it so that people can put in a email address and sign on for an allowed time then not let them log in for another allowed time.

any advice would be great.
There are a few linux kiosk guides online, so if nobody else comes up with something better, that may be a good place to start looking. I think the problem is your email address sign-in. Are you going to have some kind of authentication to make sure the address is valid? If so, how is the person going to check their email to validate the email address if they can't log into their email from your kiosk until they're validated?

Nerf Herder
Sep 2, 2006

Scruffy-Looking

emf posted:

There are a few linux kiosk guides online, so if nobody else comes up with something better, that may be a good place to start looking. I think the problem is your email address sign-in. Are you going to have some kind of authentication to make sure the address is valid? If so, how is the person going to check their email to validate the email address if they can't log into their email from your kiosk until they're validated?

Good Question. The email will be a way for the coffee shop to advertise. Just something that makes them login with their email, valid or not. they just want to keep people from writing term papers on it and things like that. I am open to suggestions by all means, they just want a way to send things like coupons to people for free coffee, and a way to have them agree to terms and all that.

Nerf Herder
Sep 2, 2006

Scruffy-Looking
Reading up on a whole lot of sites about kiosk computers. They talk about how It is better not to completely limit them because it dares people to try to break them. kinda interesting. back to the drawing board.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Misogynist posted:

If you have SSH open to the Internet, it's not a bad idea to change the port, either. It won't stop anyone deliberately trying to find their way into your box, but it will clear up about 99.9% of the random bruteforce attempts from your logs.

He could also setup for port knocking. It is a great way to leave it running at a standard ssh port and still have it return nothing or a closed to random queries.

Hughmoris posted:

I started because I had been dealing with Solaris at the university and wanted the environment to test my program. Later I started using it as a box to download torrents, learn new languages (only/better/free toolchains for some languages until later). Finally, I started using it on my laptop after getting one from work with Windows Vista and finding with 2 gigs it was a pig and I wanted a 64 bit os).

HFX fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 2, 2010

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm upgrading my graphics from an integrated device to a fancy new discrete card. They're both ATI. Do I need to do anything to my system prior to the upgrade?

Last time I did this I went from Nvidia to ATI and I was not able to fix my X config, so I'm trying to be careful this time.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

rt4 posted:

I'm upgrading my graphics from an integrated device to a fancy new discrete card. They're both ATI. Do I need to do anything to my system prior to the upgrade?

Last time I did this I went from Nvidia to ATI and I was not able to fix my X config, so I'm trying to be careful this time.

u shouldn't have to do anything when it comes to upgrading from integrated to discrete graphics. Just make sure linux installs fglrx or the radeon free driver.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

HFX posted:

He could also setup for port knocking. It is a great way to leave it running at a standard ssh port and still have it return nothing or a closed to random queries.
I never understood why port knocking would ever be considered a legitimate approach to anything ever, especially over SSH when you could just use key-based authentication if you're that worried about users choosing insecure passwords. Could someone enlighten me about why you would choose port knocking over a real security approach?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I like CSF for intrusion detection: http://www.configserver.com/cp/csf.html

If somebody is trying to brute force it will block them out, among other things.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Misogynist posted:

I never understood why port knocking would ever be considered a legitimate approach to anything ever, especially over SSH when you could just use key-based authentication if you're that worried about users choosing insecure passwords. Could someone enlighten me about why you would choose port knocking over a real security approach?

Probably just the fact that the port is 'off' until you turn it on.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Hey can someone post some linux vs windows graphs? Just like every non joke one you have? I need these for my presentation on tuesday and want to make sure I havnt missed any vital ones.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

lemonslol posted:

Hey can someone post some linux vs windows graphs? Just like every non joke one you have? I need these for my presentation on tuesday and want to make sure I havnt missed any vital ones.

Translation: This is a meaningless question without context.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Accipiter posted:

Translation: This is a meaningless question without context.

Thanks man! I was looking for something like this but GIS would just give me a bunch of poo poo.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Accipiter posted:

Thanks for this, it made my day.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I'm currently trying to get my Windows clipboard to somehow cooperate with the X Selection of my Debian Guest OS (Virtualbox).

Here's what I added to my .Xdefault

code:
XTerm*VT100.Translations: #override                                         
	Shift<Btn1Down>:	select-start()                               
	Shift<Btn1Motion>:	select-extend()                      
	Shift<Btn1Up>:		select-end(CLIPBOARD)                
	Shift<Btn2Up>:		insert-selection(CLIPBOARD)          
	Shift<Btn3Down>:	start-extend()                               
	Shift<Btn3Motion>:	select-extend()                      
	Shift<BtnUp>:		select-end(CLIPBOARD)  
Thing is, it pastes the Windows clipboard into xterm just fine (middle click), but shift+selecting xterm text doesn't find its way to the Win clipboard. I found the snippet doing a quick google search, but don't know why it works only one way.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.
We have a machine running CentOS 5.4. Periodically, I am unable to connect via SSH and receive a message indicating that the connection was refused. The message pops up immediately upon attempting to connect.

I am then able to log into the Webmin interface, so I know the machine is at least functional. If I stop the SSH Server in Webmin and then start it again, I am able to log in via SSH.

The problem here is that this has been happening more frequently of late.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what we can look at when attempting to diagnose this issue?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Butthole Prince posted:

We have a machine running CentOS 5.4. Periodically, I am unable to connect via SSH and receive a message indicating that the connection was refused. The message pops up immediately upon attempting to connect.

I am then able to log into the Webmin interface, so I know the machine is at least functional. If I stop the SSH Server in Webmin and then start it again, I am able to log in via SSH.

The problem here is that this has been happening more frequently of late.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what we can look at when attempting to diagnose this issue?

Start looking at the log files?

/var/log/secure

Check dmesg to see if sshd is crashing.

Can you run with the verbose option on and perhaps get more information?

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.

Bob Morales posted:

Start looking at the log files?

/var/log/secure

Check dmesg to see if sshd is crashing.

Can you run with the verbose option on and perhaps get more information?

I don't see anything in 'dmesg' regarding sshd.

In the 'secure' log, I do see a great number of failed login attempts. So I am assuming that constant connections and especially failed logins, like a dictionary attack, would probably cause problems.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Butthole Prince posted:

I don't see anything in 'dmesg' regarding sshd.

In the 'secure' log, I do see a great number of failed login attempts. So I am assuming that constant connections and especially failed logins, like a dictionary attack, would probably cause problems.

Everyone has those, they shouldn't be causing any problems.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Weird smbfs problem here, hope someone can help me.

I've got the /opt/fileshare defined in /etc/fstab on a Suse10 box. When it's set to just have username/password for options, "mount /opt/fileshare" works fine.

However, I added fmask=0777,dmask=0777 to it. Now, "mount /opt/fileshare" returns "mount: can't find /opt/fileshare in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab". Using "mount -a" mounts it fine, and "umount /opt/fileshare" works fine to unmount it.

Removing the fmask/dmask stuff immediately makes a direct mount work fine. Using only fmask or dmask still causes the problem.

/etc/fstab is definitely still in Unix format, so it's not that, and there's nothing wrong with the mount in general since mount -a works fine. So how is it that adding fmask and umask manages to make it unfindable by mount but still work for -a? Is it the length of the options line or something? I'd really appreciate any help.

Standish
May 21, 2001

Misogynist posted:

If there's ever a worm that spreads using a sshd vulnerability it'll protect you from that. (Yeah, probably still not worth it though.)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I have a bunch of servers running Debian, some prod, some dev.

Currently, we deploy to production by calling scripts on dev that copy the relevant files to prod, but that's a bit of a pain since perms tend to get hosed up.

I'm thinking about having some cronjob or something on the prod servers poll a file on the dev servers and pull the changes if indicated.

Is that a horrible idea?

Mister Biff
Dec 26, 2006

Wasn't sure if this was the best place, but it seemed like a good bet.

Anyone have a quick recommendation for a reliable PCI gigabit NIC? My network is choking under the weight of torrents + streaming, and I'm finally going to upgrade my router to a gigabit switch with wireless-N, but will need my media server to have a gigabit NIC to keep up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Mister Biff posted:

Anyone have a quick recommendation for a reliable PCI gigabit NIC? My network is choking under the weight of torrents + streaming, and I'm finally going to upgrade my router to a gigabit switch with wireless-N, but will need my media server to have a gigabit NIC to keep up.
For household stuff, it really doesn't matter, and whatever's cheap and works will probably do you fine. But you can't go wrong with the Intel PRO/1000 desktop adapters.

You should give some more information about the network problems, though. Even a cheap switch shouldn't be choking under the weight of gigabit unless you're totally maxing out the backplane somehow, and I doubt that's happening with torrents unless you somehow have a gigabit Metro Ethernet link to the outside. If torrents are killing your network performance, the NAT tables in your router are probably too small. You can alleviate this by turning down the idle connection pruning timeout from your NAT table, if your router allows you to tweak that.