Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gobble gobble one of us.

JOIN OUR HATE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
What Ippo needs is to start solving it's plot and get to the final arcs, honestly we're at the stage where every boxer-of-the-week is quickly forgotten. At the very least have a timeskip to the end of this fight and never speak of it again.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time

goodvisiontoucan posted:

Alright, caught up on 878 chapters in like two weeks. loving hell.

I wanna thank you for your posting these last couple of weeks, they have been a step back in time for some of us, and the rest of us were waiting for your high opinion to quickly decline into gently caress WOLI :)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What confuses me is why he hasn't at least had Ippo challenging random people (hell, the same people even, who cares) on the "World Stage" instead of defending his title. Morikawa could still extend the thing for eternity if he wanted, and it would at least show *some* forward progress. I'm going to be really astounded if he doesn't start moving up after this fight.

edit: Anyone remember when Date "passes the glove" to Ippo and Ippo is all "gently caress yeah let's do this!"? How many years has it been in Ippo-time?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Anyone remember when Date "passes the glove" to Ippo and Ippo is all "gently caress yeah let's do this!"? How many years has it been in Ippo-time?

What is this "plot" you speak of, that's silly. Those days are over.

Let's go air-diving, bro! :smug:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Well okay, isn't this his last challenge in te OPBF area? So when he beats Wolli, hopefully he can move on in the world. Kid's already ranked 8th, so it shouldn't be MUCH longer. I still don't get why he couldn't just fight Miyata after the RANDY BOY JUNIOR fight.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Miyata's ribs got busted in the fight with Randy, and he suffered many other injuries too. Frankly, I thought Miyata showed Ippo-like endurance after he took such a severe beating. So he needs to recover for a while, and may need to change weight classes. Not sure why he's still at Featherweight, really, since he presently doesn't seem determined to fight Ippo.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Jedah posted:

Miyata's ribs got busted in the fight with Randy, and he suffered many other injuries too. Frankly, I thought Miyata showed Ippo-like endurance after he took such a severe beating. So he needs to recover for a while, and may need to change weight classes. Not sure why he's still at Featherweight, really, since he presently doesn't seem determined to fight Ippo.

Miyata has always had Ippo-scale endurance in his fights abroad. His bouts with Crocodile Arnie and Sisfa ended with him practically half-dead :smith:

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

I feel like it would have been good for the plot if Miyata lost the fight with Randy.

The manga needs a fresh direction, especially with a boring and one dimension character like Miyata. Remember when Ippo lost? It opened up all sorts of possibilities with his character.

Miyata would be forced to confront his reckless decision to fight with a major weight handicap. Finally, if Miyata then swapped weight classes, he'd be able to fight people like Vorg.

C'mon, Vorg vs Miyata. That would be great! They'd be perfect match for the World title. Two long-term characters and fan favorites, fighting at the World stage. That's where we should be right now.

Also, a loss may have motivated him to change his style. To adapt his outboxing to be his, not his father's. We could have seen that his father's style had limitations.

Mostly, Miyata's win annoys because RBJ was FAR more interesting than Woli, and I don't want to see him get written out of the series. RBJ had a believable style that looked intimidating, without being too gimmicky. I mean, he kinda looked like... Surprise! A very strong, World Class boxer.

This whole gimmick fight thing... Man, I don't know. I barely recognize the manga anymore. Also, I don't know what's going on with Takamura these days either. I think Mori made him too good, so now he's having him idle quietly and become a joke character again. That's fine, as long as his next title match is a good one.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 29, 2009

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The only way I could be completely satisfied with this fight anymore is if it ends with Ippo slugging Woli once while he is in mid air resulting in a ring-out and career ending face-plant into a lamp + electrocution somewhere behind the stands. Then the manga can switch genres from boxing to baseball, and Miyata gets to be the ball.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jedah posted:

Mostly, Miyata's win annoys because RBJ was FAR more interesting than Woli, and I don't want to see him get written out of the series. RBJ had a believable style that looked intimidating, without being too gimmicky. I mean, he kinda looked like... Surprise! A very strong, World Class boxer.

I agree. Even though I hated the Randy Boy Jr. fight, I thought he was a fairly compelling character/boxer. Being ambidextrous is a fairly realistic "gimmick" to have. RBJ vs. Ippo would actually be an interesting fight to see.

Niklas Kronwall 2.0
May 15, 2009
879 spoilers:

Miguel tells Woli to stop dodging and have a punching match with Ippo

:rolleyes:

I hope Woli beats Ippo at his own game and then challenges Martinez and gets stomped just to show Ippo how far away he still is.

Reading the entire manga in 2 weeks and running into this Woli fight really makes you see how fast it went downhill.

Niklas Kronwall 2.0 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 30, 2009

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Niklas Kronwall 2.0 posted:

879 spoilers:

Wait, what? So he basically tells him to stop using a winning strategy and take a huge unnecessary risk? That's lame. Even if/when Ippo wins, it'll only be because Woli's coach gave him dumb instructions.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Jedah posted:

I feel like it would have been good for the plot if Miyata lost the fight with Randy.

The manga needs a fresh direction, especially with a boring and one dimension character like Miyata. Remember when Ippo lost? It opened up all sorts of possibilities with his character.

Miyata would be forced to confront his reckless decision to fight with a major weight handicap. Finally, if Miyata then swapped weight classes, he'd be able to fight people like Vorg.

C'mon, Vorg vs Miyata. That would be great! They'd be perfect match for the World title. Two long-term characters and fan favorites, fighting at the World stage. That's where we should be right now.

Also, a loss may have motivated him to change his style. To adapt his outboxing to be his, not his father's. We could have seen that his father's style had limitations.

This whole gimmick fight thing... Man, I don't know. I barely recognize the manga anymore. Also, I don't know what's going on with Takamura these days either. I think Mori made him too good, so now he's having him idle quietly and become a joke character again. That's fine, as long as his next title match is a good one.

I agree with you about RBJ but Takamura is going to continue to move up in weight and will be fighting larger, more powerful dudes that he won't be able to overpower as easily as his previous fights. So his next fight in 2012 might be interesting.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Wait, what? So he basically tells him to stop using a winning strategy and take a huge unnecessary risk? That's lame. Even if/when Ippo wins, it'll only be because Woli's coach gave him dumb instructions.

The "world class" coaches aren't that awesome in this manga :(

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ytlaya posted:

If he wants to use this fight as a learning experience, he might find it beneficial for Woli to experience a punch as heavy as Ippo's. I mean, the guy only has 3 matches under his belt, and we've learned through Miyata that natural talent only takes you so far. Maybe Miguel's just gonna throw the match by sending him to the slaughter.

gently caress this manga for that to even be a possibility.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

879 spoilers:

I hope Woli beats Ippo at his own game and then challenges Martinez and gets stomped just to show Ippo how far away he still is.

Reading the entire manga in 2 weeks and running into this Woli fight really makes you see how fast it went downhill.

If thats loving true this fight is literally the worst ever

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

it was ok until she started peeing on me

Indiana_Krom posted:

Then the manga can switch genres from boxing to baseball, and Miyata gets to be the ball.

Well Ippo would be more than happy to be the catcher. :gay:

Since we're discussing the only thing that can redeem this fight, I have a simple one. The fight ends in either this coming chapter or the one after that. I don't really care either way who wins or how at this point, as long as it ends so we don't have to see this annoying fucker anymore (Woli).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Maybe if Ippo lost he would also lose his current complacent attitude. His only strategy for quite some time has been to train and fight like he always does. That's really drat boring.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Serious Frolicking posted:

Maybe if Ippo lost he would also lose his current complacent attitude. His only strategy for quite some time has been to train and fight like he always does. That's really drat boring.

To be fair he really doesn't train, and he definitely doesn't fight(well).

If he approached someone on the world stage who was an actual loving character and had some actual loving talent (for boxing, not being a cheating jumping human being) maybe we could see ippo train and try some new training techniques. The last few have been "I have no clue who this guy is! But he'll be tough! Better train like I always do with no variation!"

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Well he's run farther. That's something.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

I agree, Ippo does need a reality check. Everyone saw the Karasawa match and thought, "oh, wow! Maturity! Growth! the main character is becoming a Champion!"

Then, you know, a series of terrible fights happened, and Ippo apparently forgot how to box.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

879 spoilers:

I didn't think this fight could possibly get any worse, yet here we are.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Infinitum posted:

I didn't think this fight could possibly get any worse, yet here we are.

The only way this might be spun in a positive manner is if, as we're sorta expecting, this punching match idea results in an Ippo win, but Ippo is fully aware that he would have lost had Woli not taken that strategy and it serves as a "wake up call" of sorts letting Ippo know that poo poo needs to change.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
This already happened during the rookie tournament, though. The guy who could have easily beaten Ippo with a technical win started exchanging blows instead. However, that was a rookie boxer getting too excited and making a mistake, not a deliberate strategy by a supposedly competent coach. In short, the whole situation is retarded.

Niklas Kronwall 2.0
May 15, 2009
This poo poo also wouldn't be happening if Kamogawa had allowed Itagaki and Ippo to spar so Ippo could get used to god-moding.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

This poo poo also wouldn't be happening if Kamogawa had allowed Itagaki and Ippo to spar so Ippo could get used to god-moding.

dont you understand that wouldve damaged his fragile psyche and

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

I'm gonna go ahead and say that this fight and the Gedo fight are seriously the only ones I didn't like of the entire manga, though

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

879 spoilers:

Ha. So the author's written himself in a corner and this is the only way he can get out?

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

L-O-N posted:

Ha. So the author's written himself in a corner and this is the only way he can get out?

You jest, but wait until Woli's crazy loving bananna-endurance thrashes the poo poo out of Ippo and the only way he can win now is by showing him the true Japanese bushido spirit in an astral battle.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The only way I could see this fight ending normally would be if Woli runs out of stamina because he is not used to fighting the full 10 rounds. Losing because his coach starts giving him retarted advice seems like the worst cop-out in the series so far. As long as it all ends with a glove hammered into that smug face then I can start forgetting this fight ever happened.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

goodvisiontoucan posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and say that this fight and the Gedo fight are seriously the only ones I didn't like of the entire manga, though

Even Takamura's last fight where he almost lost because he forgot how to box?

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007
whenever I get done reading a new ippo chapter i like to grab the sides of my monitor and put my face really close to it and then scream at the top of my lungs. oh hehe a girl just looked at me

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Even Takamura's last fight where he almost lost because he forgot how to box?

I just ignore the filler title defenses. And Takamura v Hawk was so loving awesome that it makes up for anything else he does

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Was there ever any explanation for why Kamogawa didn't let Ippo spar with Itagaki?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Was there ever any explanation for why Kamogawa didn't let Ippo spar with Itagaki?

It was implied that Ippo would lose, what with the time stop bullshit.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It was implied that Ippo would lose, what with the time stop bullshit.

Whoa. I honestly can't think of any way for them to get past characters being flat out faster than Ippo and able to dodge everything he does.

One idea might be for Ippo to develop some sort of counter himself, since the only time he'd be able to hit someone who dodges every punch he throws would be to attack at the same time as his opponent is attacking.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Ytlaya posted:

Whoa. I honestly can't think of any way for them to get past characters being flat out faster than Ippo and able to dodge everything he does.

One idea might be for Ippo to develop some sort of counter himself, since the only time he'd be able to hit someone who dodges every punch he throws would be to attack at the same time as his opponent is attacking.

Unfortunately, Itagaki's speed powers are so ridiculous that even fast guys cant keep up with him. He can dodge anything because it's all in slow-mo. It's not even in the realm of boxing, it's superhuman, beyond anything else we've seen in this series so far. Once Itagaki starts fighting people on the same level as Ippo's opponents, the author is going to have to find a way to nullify or kill off that advantage he has, or be forced to let him steamroll people like Volg and Sendo.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Itagaki vs. Goku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Darke GBF posted:

Unfortunately, Itagaki's speed powers are so ridiculous that even fast guys cant keep up with him. He can dodge anything because it's all in slow-mo. It's not even in the realm of boxing, it's superhuman, beyond anything else we've seen in this series so far. Once Itagaki starts fighting people on the same level as Ippo's opponents, the author is going to have to find a way to nullify or kill off that advantage he has, or be forced to let him steamroll people like Volg and Sendo.

Wasn't there some spar between Itagaki and Randy Boy Jr. where RBJ was winning? If not Itagaki who was that spar with?