Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Plasma1010 posted:

Yeah I was just about to mention Gaahl is openly gay ... and you cant deny hes a largely influential part of Black Metal.

What

Please elaborate. Name some noteworthy bands who have cited Gaahl as their influence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Best of the Year

- Wodensthrone - Loss
- Folkvang - Atmospheric Black
- Sirin - Moja Otcina
- Gorgoroth - Quantos Possunt ad Satanitatem Trahunt
- Karpathia - Urheimat - Volanie Havranov
- Folkvang / Pagan Hellfire - Firmament Eclipse split
- Graveland - Spears of Heaven

and possibly Nokturnal Mortum's The Voice of Steel. I'm still deciding on that one.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Noktorn posted:

Actually the members of Gorgoroth are most likely pedophiles. Actually not a joke. There was a story a while back about a Mexican concert promoter getting asked where they could get child prostitutes and this was corroborated by a friend of mine who is close friends with a Colombian booking agent. Their main request: five 12-year-old boys.
Are you Noktorn of MA?

As for Gorgoroth being pedophiles, nothing would surprise me in the BM scene anymore, especially when depravity is a commodity. I am a bit amused at how Gaahl has a pretty boy boyfriend though.

Thanks for the lists guys, I appreciate it I'll have to get busy.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Morbid Florist posted:

Where'd you find one?

eBay. And $40 for it was cheeeeap compared to some other ones I've seen, like on discogs.com and other eBay auctions.

thepitgoddess posted:

You should also check out Absu- S/T.
Its loving awesome :D

Fuuuuck ! I forgot about that, that album is astounding.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

Mudflap McDirt posted:

eBay. And $40 for it was cheeeeap compared to some other ones I've seen, like on discogs.com and other eBay auctions.

Fuuuuck ! I forgot about that, that album is astounding.

it is amazing. Did you manage to catch them at MDF last year or on the tour?
Fuckin sick. Proscriptor is a machine live.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

thepitgoddess posted:

it is amazing. Did you manage to catch them at MDF last year or on the tour?
Fuckin sick. Proscriptor is a machine live.

I missed it because my ride up to Maryland backed out (and we didn't have tickets); I was gonna see them in Raleigh, NC a few months back but missed that too :(

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Mudflap McDirt posted:

I missed it because my ride up to Maryland backed out (and we didn't have tickets); I was gonna see them in Raleigh, NC a few months back but missed that too :(

As someone who finds most bands boring live, I thought they were fantasic. Not because of anyone's overwhelming stage presence, but Proscriptor is just funny in an unintentional way....plus he sings and drums at the same time!
What's cooler than that?!

Noktorn
May 30, 2008

thepitgoddess posted:

Asking the singer of Baby Basher is not "corroborating evidence." Besides, Colombian =/= Mexican. Unless he was the one getting plowed or selling little boys to Gaahl, I don't think Alex is them ost reliable resource.

I've heard this story tons of times, but it'd be drat near impossible to prove.

I'm talking about a Colombian incident, not the Mexican one everyone knows.

Sue Denim posted:

Are you Noktorn of MA?

Yeah.

And about his taste in boys, Gaahl was noted to have some very twinky, I think in some cases underage boys in his top friends on his personal Myspace page. This was like 6 months before he came out. Nothing super egregious but definitely some gayboys that looked on the wrong side of 18.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Noktorn posted:

I think in some cases underage boys in his top friends on his personal Myspace page.

Well theres your first problem as, see, every internet page ever run about Gaahl has always been by outsides and most of those pages have stated they were being set up by other people and were never Gaahl.

m-o-o-n posted:

Name some noteworthy bands who have cited Gaahl as their influence.

Roadrunner records lists Gaahl as Number 32 of the 50 greatest Metal Frontmen of all time ...

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/THE-50-GREATEST-METAL-FRONTMEN-OF-ALL-TIME-19861.aspx

As far as a member of a band citing him as a major influence, I honestly couldnt tell you who has cited half the people of various Black Metal bands as influences, nor do I care to research it.

Plasma1010 fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 29, 2009

Noktorn
May 30, 2008

Plasma1010 posted:

Well theres your first problem as, see, every internet page ever run about Gaahl has always been by outsides and most of those pages have stated they were being set up by other people and were never Gaahl.

I'm referring to a Gaahl personal Myspace that was on Gorgoroth's top friends; if this was set up by someone outside it would be very weird and top friending it would be sort of an endorsement of it.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Noktorn posted:

I'm referring to a Gaahl personal Myspace that was on Gorgoroth's top friends; if this was set up by someone outside it would be very weird and top friending it would be sort of an endorsement of it.

Yeah I see two dudes who are like 19 still on that page which is kind of weird. Im still going to take the little children thing with a grain of salt.

Noktorn
May 30, 2008
The one I remember off the top of my head was a super twinky British one. Yeah the whole boyfucker thing could be bullshit but I don't really think it's implausible. Much stranger things have happened in the metal scene and it's not like the members of Gorgoroth don't have a track record.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Noktorn posted:

Nothing super egregious but definitely some gayboys that looked on the wrong side of 18.

The age of consent in Norway is 16. :norway:

Think
Sep 20, 2005

Nokturnal Mortum's The Voice of Steel is shaping up to be my favourite album of 2009, and it just came out too. Really amazing stuff, even though it's not quite black metal anymore. So many awesome tracks, especially Valkyrie and Ukraine.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Faux Shoah posted:

Nokturnal Mortum's The Voice of Steel is shaping up to be my favourite album of 2009, and it just came out too. Really amazing stuff, even though it's not quite black metal anymore. So many awesome tracks, especially Valkyrie and Ukraine.

I decided to give this a listen and this is definitely NOT what I expected to hear from a Ukrainian band. Valkyrie is a very killer song and has a weird rear end very Pink Floyd style breakdown/solo in the middle part. Next up is Ukraine, I expect good things.

edit: And I'm getting good things. I'm glad, most BM bands are a dime-a-dozen and there really isn't much difference. It's always a good thing to see a band start to stand out and do something different while keeping their roots.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 30, 2009

Noktorn
May 30, 2008

lordblytzkrieg posted:

I decided to give this a listen and this is definitely NOT what I expected to hear from a Ukrainian band.

What did you expect? Ukrainian scene is pretty varied.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Nokturnal Mortum is pretty funny in that you can trace their shifting ideologies through the various band logos they've used over time.

It starts a pretty generic logo, then the standard inverted cross then more inverted crosses and suddenly BAM!, swastikas alongside the inverted crosses and then the random pagan/celtic style dragon things to show that they're now just proud of their cultural heritage rather than nazis.

The most hilarious thing was the re-issue of Lunar Poetry which had a swastika made of AK-47s in the booklet.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

MrBling posted:

Nokturnal Mortum is pretty funny in that you can trace their shifting ideologies through the various band logos they've used over time.

It starts a pretty generic logo, then the standard inverted cross then more inverted crosses and suddenly BAM!, swastikas alongside the inverted crosses and then the random pagan/celtic style dragon things to show that they're now just proud of their cultural heritage rather than nazis.

The most hilarious thing was the re-issue of Lunar Poetry which had a swastika made of AK-47s in the booklet.

On a similar note, apparently the Norwegian band Disiplin have gone from being chaos-gnostics and anti-cosmos, to being odinist neo-nazis. Also, the only steady member seems unable to settle for a pseudonym:

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=10327

quote:

WeltenFeind (also known as Eihwaz IX, Haakon Forwald, General K, Savant M, Drakul 218, Drakul Azacain) - Guitar, Bass, Drums

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

ElectricWizard posted:

being chaos-gnostics and anti-cosmos

What does this mean :psyduck:

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

Mudflap McDirt posted:

What does this mean :psyduck:

I'm not sure what the extent of their philosophical and ideological beliefs are, but it sounds a lot like what Jon Nödtveit was. I recall 'chaos' and 'anti-cosmos' being recurring themes with him and Dissection. And one of the members had '218' after a pseudonym of his, which seems to be an important number with the Temple of the Black Light.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
They just fuckin' hate the cosmos.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Chaos Gnostic/Anti-Cosmic (Satanism) is a fairly big trend in black metal. Jon Nodveidt was heavily involved with it (MLO/TOBL) and other prominent black metal figures include Shamaatae of Arckanum.

I've split it up like that because there's a fuckload of bands who identify with the anti-cosmic part (ie. they hate all levels of the known universe), but disregard the satanic element in favour of heathen belief (eg. Sons of Fenris, any other band on the Scythe of Death label).

The core beliefs are basically hating the entire universe, wanting to kill god(s) and, if you embrace the satanic part, worshipping the devil. The chaos gnostic part comes in learning specific "rites" that allow oneself to encounter deities.

Sumerian themes are one of the other big trends in metal, which makes Shaarimoth pretty amusing.

Btw, for the record, Gaahl wasn't even Gorgoroth's best frontman, so his inclusion on any list of that type is laughable. This is ignoring the fact that the list was compiled by a label with next to no credibility these days!

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 30, 2009

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Man, who can top hating the entire loving cosmos? Where do you go from there?

NATO
Aug 3, 2009

by Lowtax
hahaha oh god, imagine one of these people in real life!

"GRRRR I AM GENERAL ADOLF ODINSSON MY BOSS JUST MADE ME FILE OUR TAX REPORTS AGAIN I AM SO ANGRY THAT I WANT TO KILL GOD. ALSO I HATE EVERY LEVEL OF THE KNOWN UNIVERSE."

NATO
Aug 3, 2009

by Lowtax
Be sure to give "Predator Publishing" a look, because disiplin is there and they give no gently caress at all:

quote:

Disiplin: Autocratic Black Metal : Ever hear the sound of a Police Shield Smash into an anarchist's face? Tear gas pumped into an angry mob? Batons smashed into the teeth of a sivil disobediant? Look no further! Disiplin is the Dictator's Iron Grip on Humanity! We are Not Human! We are Predators!

Also, this guy is awesome:

quote:

Daudaort: A subconscious Noise project from Phantom, this is not for everyone! Phantom only makes Daudarord music when in a certain mood, of hopelessness, despair and utter contempt for the world at large. Unbearably painful for some, but balm to the ears for other, perhaps more able minded people.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

NATO posted:

Be sure to give "Predator Publishing" a look, because disiplin is there and they give no gently caress at all:

Also, this guy is awesome:

Next time I come across a band I really just don't like and think sounds like noise (Striborg and Xasthur come to mind), I'm gonna say to myself "well, I must just not be able minded enough to enjoy this."

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Noktorn posted:

What did you expect? Ukrainian scene is pretty varied.

I expected bad production and slower tempo blast beats.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Gr31lly posted:

Btw, for the record, Gaahl wasn't even Gorgoroth's best frontman, so his inclusion on any list of that type is laughable. This is ignoring the fact that the list was compiled by a label with next to no credibility these days!

As a frontman Gaahl did an excellent job. He literally pulled Gorgoroth out of the pool of general Black Metal groups and put them on the higher known Black Metal platform. Whether this is something you disagree with in Black Metal or not, I absolutely can find no reason why he shouldn't be compiled on that list of greatest frontmen. He is an excellent Black Metal vocalist involved in many great project (Gorgoroth, Gaahlskagg, Wardruna, Trelldom) and a very hosed up individual. Hes reigned the cover of Terrorizer and other mags, and been the talk of many a Black Metal circle. What else is it that makes a great frontman ? A frontman is a good vocalist who works also as a public eyepiece for a group. Hat and Pest were awesome in Gorgoroth as well, but they wernt public eyepieces. See, Gaahl was.

Plasma1010 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 31, 2009

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Plasma1010 posted:

As a frontman Gaahl did an excellent job. He literally pulled Gorgoroth out of the pool of general Black Metal groups and put them on the higher known Black Metal platform. Whether this is something you disagree with in Black Metal or not, I absolutely can find no reason why he shouldn't be compiled on that list of greatest frontmen.

What on earth are you babbling about? Gaahl "literally" did nothing of the sort - he was a johnny-come-lately to that band and his only contribution was the musical stagnation of one of the more established 2nd wave bands. If he did anything it was turn Gorgoroth into a laughing stock, beloved of people with the same mentality that gobbles up Dethklok and it's ilk.

quote:

He is an excellent Black Metal vocalist involved in many great project (Gorgoroth, Gaahlskagg, Wardruna, Trelldom) and a very hosed up individual.

He's an "exellent black metal vocalist"? have you ever seen Gorgoroth live? I have, many times, and most of my recollections of Gaahl are: his terrible range, and how he murders the vocals on the early material. His involvement in Gorgoroth was detrimental, and Trelldom were nought but Darkthrone worship (although their 2nd album is not bad at all, and I'd say it's his best work to date). I've never heard anyone mention Gaahlskag as something to seek out (because it isn't), and Wardruna have released one album, and it's nothing special within the realm chosen.

As for "hosed up individual" - so is Mortuus of Marduk/Funeral Mist, so was Dead, so is Varg, so was Jon Nodveidt. That is far from unique, and anyone who sees Gaahl as some uniquely dark snowflake is merely unexposed to most black metal. gently caress it, according to that Absurd must be the holy grail of black metal?

quote:

Hes reigned the cover of Terrorizer and other mags, and been the talk of many a Black Metal circle. What else is it that makes a great frontman ? A frontman is a good vocalist who works also as a public eyepiece for a group. Hat and Pest were awesome in Gorgoroth as well, but they wernt public eyepieces. See, Gaahl was.

Terrorizer? Who gives a crap what magazines give you a spread? Getting terrorizer to love you is simply a matter of being on the right label or band and seeing as Gaahl had joined one of the bigger norwegian bands still around he was guaranteed covers. My only experiences of talking to people actively involved in black metal was more disgust or apathy at his documentary appearances. Hat and Pest were/are superior vocalists, and Gorgoroth was always about Infernus - it's interesting to note that Ghaal and King state that it was october 2007 when they decided to kick Infernus out his own band, given that Gaahl had only given his interview to Peter Beste in April of that year. I'd argue that Gaahl in most of his appearances in media was furthering his own agenda rather than any band's, which would be entirely counter-productive to being it's "frontman".

And the reason the list is shite is because it's missing hundreds of people, a fair few because their bands were once signed with roadrunner/roadracer.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Gr31lly posted:

What on earth are you babbling about? Gaahl "literally" did nothing of the sort - he was a johnny-come-lately to that band and his only contribution was the musical stagnation of one of the more established 2nd wave bands. If he did anything it was turn Gorgoroth into a laughing stock, beloved of people with the same mentality that gobbles up Dethklok and it's ilk.

He's an "exellent black metal vocalist"? have you ever seen Gorgoroth live? I have, many times, and most of my recollections of Gaahl are: his terrible range, and how he murders the vocals on the early material. His involvement in Gorgoroth was detrimental, and Trelldom were nought but Darkthrone worship (although their 2nd album is not bad at all, and I'd say it's his best work to date). I've never heard anyone mention Gaahlskag as something to seek out (because it isn't), and Wardruna have released one album, and it's nothing special within the realm chosen.

As for "hosed up individual" - so is Mortuus of Marduk/Funeral Mist, so was Dead, so is Varg, so was Jon Nodveidt. That is far from unique, and anyone who sees Gaahl as some uniquely dark snowflake is merely unexposed to most black metal. gently caress it, according to that Absurd must be the holy grail of black metal?

Terrorizer? Who gives a crap what magazines give you a spread? Getting terrorizer to love you is simply a matter of being on the right label or band and seeing as Gaahl had joined one of the bigger norwegian bands still around he was guaranteed covers. My only experiences of talking to people actively involved in black metal was more disgust or apathy at his documentary appearances. Hat and Pest were/are superior vocalists, and Gorgoroth was always about Infernus - it's interesting to note that Ghaal and King state that it was october 2007 when they decided to kick Infernus out his own band, given that Gaahl had only given his interview to Peter Beste in April of that year. I'd argue that Gaahl in most of his appearances in media was furthering his own agenda rather than any band's, which would be entirely counter-productive to being it's "frontman".

And the reason the list is shite is because it's missing hundreds of people, a fair few because their bands were once signed with roadrunner/roadracer.

Well, what are you babbling about? Gaahl recorded 3 full albums as full-time vocalist with Gorgoroth, so I have no idea where you get the point he was just "johnny-come-along". In that case, every member to ever enter a band after an album or two are "johnny-come-along". Gorgoroth as laughing stock? Most people I talk to actually consider Incipit, Twilight, and AMSG great albums just as well as the others. If Gaahl ruined Gorgoroth then why did they continue to increase fans once Gaahl came on? The only people pissed were the "hardcore underground" dudes who couldn't handle a line-up change and just listen to the music. Whether you think King and Gaahl should have just left Gorgoroth and done their own things years ago is a matter of opinion, but the music was still just as good. "White Seed" is just as BM as anything else Gorgoroth did.

"Trelldom were nought but Darkthrone worship" that's quite an assumption and I really don't see a musical relation to what Trelldom was doing and Darkthrone at all. Trelldom's sound on "Til Evighet ..." is very much different then early Darkthrone.

"As for "hosed up individual" - so is Mortuus of Marduk/Funeral Mist, so was Dead, so is Varg, so was Jon Nodveidt" - Yeah and that's why they are all on the map. They played the "frontman" part well.

It's just one list compiled by one reputable music company. It's a matter of opinion on the part of a company who deals with music often. Kind of like my opinion, and many others who consider Gaahl to have been an excellent frontman. It's just a matter of opinion, if you don't like it then okay. But myself, Roadrunner, and others probably arn't going to change it because you don't agree.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Plasma1010 posted:

Most people I talk to actually consider Incipit, Twilight, and AMSG great albums just as well as the others.

[citation needed]

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Can I just recommend an oft overlooked US black metal band called Gravewürm. Not to be confused with the italians called Graveworm and who aren't very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7pnChV4ShU

They play in that oldschool Hellhammer/Sodom style and it doesn't really matter which of their first four albums you listen to since they're all pretty much the same style. Fuzzy production, no frills, just nice and old school.

In a similar vein, another incredibly overlooked band is Heretic from the Netherlands. They play a very nice slowpaced Hellhammer inspired black&roll style and believe very much in the fuzzy production and bass overdose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ3K0NjK-UM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYjl3XMkh78

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoBwr2wQWvI

They seem to have changed up quite a bit for their 2009 album "Gods Over Humans, Slaves Under Satan" however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHVTxwaqdEo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86bEClmIvng

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

MrBling posted:

In a similar vein, another incredibly overlooked band is Heretic from the Netherlands. They play a very nice slowpaced Hellhammer inspired black&roll style and believe very much in the fuzzy production and bass overdose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ3K0NjK-UM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYjl3XMkh78

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoBwr2wQWvI

This is awesome. Thunderbelial reminds me of the Misfits for some reason.

Plasma1010 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 1, 2010

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
So I've been listening to the Dark Funeral and I really like it. The cleaner production is nice and everything sounds really great. They somehow managed to leave a lot of bass in the recording and maintain that black metal sound, awesome.

Also, while I was watching the video for My Funeral I noticed that the drummer cracks a smile, which is pretty funny to me.

Anyway, any other bands/albums like this out there? I'm trying to break into more black metal but some of it is tough going.

corpserot
Sep 29, 2009

Moist von Lipwig posted:

So I've been listening to the Dark Funeral and I really like it. The cleaner production is nice and everything sounds really great. They somehow managed to leave a lot of bass in the recording and maintain that black metal sound, awesome.

Also, while I was watching the video for My Funeral I noticed that the drummer cracks a smile, which is pretty funny to me.

Anyway, any other bands/albums like this out there? I'm trying to break into more black metal but some of it is tough going.

If you are looking for heavier BM try another Swedish BM bands..

I recommend:

Marduk - Plague Angel and if you like that you could try Funeral Mist's Salvation.
Setherial - Nord
Watain - Sworn to the Dark

private message
Aug 22, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
Hinsidig's new album Bak og Forbi... is some really good atmospheric black metal. It sounds sort of like a mix of Ulver and Nyktalgia. The guitar leads and the drums are especially good. Highly recommended!

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but in case it hasn't, apparently they've released a lot of the material from the Hideous Gnosis black metal and theory symposium: http://blackmetaltheory.blogspot.com/ (especially for you, EvilMoJoJoJo)

Noktorn
May 30, 2008

MrBling posted:

Can I just recommend an oft overlooked US black metal band called Gravewürm. Not to be confused with the italians called Graveworm and who aren't very good.

I'm tight with Funeral Grave, they're all cool guys.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Just stopping by to throw a band out there I found. A german band called Todtgelichter I found myspace band page hopping. I don't know or care if they're unoriginal or whatever else people bitch about, but I like what I hear. Midpaced black with lots of elements sprinkled around to mix things up, maybe 50/50 newer proggy black with plenty of old sensibilities. I won't nitpick it to death so I guess if you've liked anything I've brought to the table before you just might dig them too.

http://www.myspace.com/todtgelichter

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Noktorn posted:

I'm tight with Funeral Grave, they're all cool guys.

Unneeded name drop!

On topic, Shining is working on a new one.
VII!