Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I got done some bases for my SH->CSM termies, excuse the ridiculously small thumbnail, what do you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Cakefool posted:

I got done some bases for my SH->CSM termies, excuse the ridiculously small thumbnail, what do you think?

Looks pretty awesome. :)

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology
Those are some really sweet bases. Where did you get the card with the floor texture?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Beige stuff was from eBay, I didn't save the seller, which could be a problem as it's the best sized treadplate I've found so far.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Morham posted:

Took a couple more photos, I'm a pretty bad photographer but I guess practice makes perfect so I'm sure I'll get better. This is the same knight from before but I took the other side and a close up of the face. I've noticed some little splodges of paint that shouldn't be there since I took these, and also the fact that my models are covered in dust.

But enough excuses, I'm pretty happy with this guy IRL, but my painting has definately improved since I did him. Its pretty sunny today so I could probably take some more pictures later...anyway thoughts?

Loving the hell out of that shield weathering.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Cakefool posted:

Holy poo poo those are money as heck

Those would be great for Infinity models too :swoon:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I wish I'd got some expanded mesh, it would have given a bit more depth. Maybe for the 30 csm troopers, I won't add any height to those though, just a little texture.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Morham posted:

Took a couple more photos, I'm a pretty bad photographer but I guess practice makes perfect so I'm sure I'll get better. This is the same knight from before but I took the other side and a close up of the face. I've noticed some little splodges of paint that shouldn't be there since I took these, and also the fact that my models are covered in dust.

But enough excuses, I'm pretty happy with this guy IRL, but my painting has definately improved since I did him. Its pretty sunny today so I could probably take some more pictures later...anyway thoughts?

I really like this! The cross on the lower shield is a bit wonky looking but otherwise it's awesome! I guess I'm just a sucker for christian iconography and knights.

Morning
Aug 10, 2008

crime fighting hog posted:

I really like this! The cross on the lower shield is a bit wonky looking but otherwise it's awesome! I guess I'm just a sucker for christian iconography and knights.

Maybe some grey highlights on the hair around the hooves and tail? Other than that, pretty good

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Here is some finished stuff: GKT's

special weapons, same guys with different magnetized arms

Morham
Jun 4, 2007

Morning posted:

Maybe some grey highlights on the hair around the hooves and tail? Other than that, pretty good

I was super lazy with the horse, I'll do some more work on it when I go back to tidy up the mistakes I spotted :)

Thanks for the encouragement people! And suggestions for heraldry is welcome...I have the hammer, a black sun, a candle and a trident so far, really starting to wish I didn't decide to file off all the fleur de les' and not use the transfers :(

(I don't like the fleur de les symbol)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Annnnnnd a fuckton more:

Dont sweat the small errors/paint damage on the bases, Ill fix all that stuff prior to varnishing them. Most of that damage is from handling them too much during photography

Squad 1 (vertical stripe)

Squad 2 (diagonal stripe)

Squad 3 (chevron)

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
drat those are some sexy GKs there PV. How did you do the silver? If there is one thing I am never happy with is my metals. Any words of wisdom?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Its the army painter silver spray, with a thinned badab black wash. Lay the models down while it dries so it doesnt run towards their feet.

The terminators got a couple of layers of wash to build up a more shaded looking effect.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I just ordered all the models I need to finish 1500pts of CSM. That should tide me over for 12-24 months or so with converting & painting everything, which is kinda lucky as with a kid on the way I'm not going to have any spending money for about 18 years :suicide:

2 Vindicators
A Defiler
20 CSM
10 SM tac squad

Ad-Mec Defiler & Vindicators, 30 non-chaos marines of various marks of armour on simpler bases, finish & paint the lot.

How do you goons with kids cope by the way?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Cakefool posted:

I picked up a paintbrush for the first time since the beginning of November just the other night :suicide:

All joking aside, it's just finding the time to sit down and do stuff without interuption. If you don't mind interuptions then it's all cool I guess and you can just stop and start as needed :)

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Jesus gently caress, PV. Those are incredible.

Cakefool posted:

Cope with which part? The cost? The noise? The fact that our awful hobby is comprised of sharp blades, noxious chemicals, and tens of thousands of tiny choking hazards?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't someone here looking for Red Corsairs pics? Pretty decent stuff here.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I find my back winds up really hurting when I'm modeling/painting. Any tips for workspace set-up, so I can no long have a future tolling bells in France?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

get your lighting up high, so you dont have to bend your neck/back to get under your lamps. Try to set it up so you have a chair you can lean back in, or at least sit up straight in.

Use yellow tack to attach the model to the top of a spraycan or something like that, it makes it easier to hold and you can sort of rest it against your chest while you paint, keeping your head more upright.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I find my back winds up really hurting when I'm modeling/painting. Any tips for workspace set-up, so I can no long have a future tolling bells in France?

Get a nice comfy chair with arm rests so you can prop your arms up on that sometimes instead of leaning over your desk? I've got a bad back too. Stretching each morning and night helps a bit though.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
This thread has awesome advice for miniatures, and now it has advice on keeping proper posture while painting and modeling. This is, un-ironically, the best thread ever. :science:

Also, Cakefool, have you given any thought to resin-casting those bases? Those are sweet as gently caress.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'd have to make new ones with an eye to casting them, these are basically composed of voids & undercuts. I could knock out about 5 an hour this way if I didn't mind them being a little repetitive.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Well, if you do Cakefool, LMK, and I'd be willing to make it worth your while for a few of them.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Do you want a bunch of bases or a few masters for casting? I've got nothing to do until my big order turns up so I could knock out a bunch of bases if needed.

MOLLUSC
Nov 30, 2005

I started putting a terminator chaplain together yesterday but I'm a bit confused about how to fit it on to the base. The one that came with it is solid but the figure has a long metal bit at the bottom that looks like it should fit into a slotted base. Do you have to cut your own slot out?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

http://archive.brushthralls.com/pre-painting-prep/soft-tissues-for-hobby-painters.html

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology

Cakefool posted:

The Beige stuff was from eBay, I didn't save the seller, which could be a problem as it's the best sized treadplate I've found so far.

Just found some in antenociti's workshop, I ordered a couple of sheets. I can let you know if it's any good if you want.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Chaos Emerald posted:

I started putting a terminator chaplain together yesterday but I'm a bit confused about how to fit it on to the base. The one that came with it is solid but the figure has a long metal bit at the bottom that looks like it should fit into a slotted base. Do you have to cut your own slot out?

I had a similar issue with Necron Wraiths (I HATE those models.), had to take a hobby knife to the bottom of the base where they had frames for slots underneath, just not precut.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Combaticus posted:

Just found some in antenociti's workshop, I ordered a couple of sheets. I can let you know if it's any good if you want.

Dam that's half what I paid. Well, the more you know...

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Cakefool posted:

Do you want a bunch of bases or a few masters for casting? I've got nothing to do until my big order turns up so I could knock out a bunch of bases if needed.

Five 30mm bases and even one 60mm one would be awesome! How much would you charge?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Airbrushes make me woot a little.

Did that in about 2.5 hours. At least an hour of that was putting on a removing silly putty masking and another 30-40 minutes on having to stop and clean the cheap brush.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
They do indeed rock.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Can someone post a good rust tutorial? I'm throwing together a squad of nurgle bikers and need them to look ugly as sin.

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Fyrbrand posted:

Wasn't someone here looking for Red Corsairs pics? Pretty decent stuff here.

That was me. Thanks! :)

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Dr. Lenin posted:

Can someone post a good rust tutorial? I'm throwing together a squad of nurgle bikers and need them to look ugly as sin.

For my Ork stuff, I do Tin Bitz, then a drybrush of Boltgun, and then a wash of thinned-down orange to places that rust would gather. Comes out looking decently rusty, but probably not evil chaos blight rusty.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Just got a bunch of VGC inks. Do I need to water them down at all? They are basically extra heavy washes right? Where do you guys tend to use them?

I got them after reading the EOW washes only thread to do some plague marines.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Dr. Lenin posted:

If you want proper corroded looking stuff, do paint chips with really dark browns or black, not metallics. Exposed metals start rusting very quickly, only fresh chips will be shiny. You could try sponging some chips onto some of the bigger surfaces on the bike -

http://migjimenez.blogspot.com/2009/11/sponge-chippping-and-rust-stains.html

The engine and stuff I'm not so sure about, probably still use metallics since they'd be chromed. Possibly sponged rust spots could work to show the coating blistering and failing. Maybe try undiluted ink to get an oily finish - I've used Windsor & Newton Nut Brown on a few pistons and things on some of my vehicles.

The sponging suggestion is a bit experimental btw - it works great on tanks and stuff, but I'm not sure how well it'd translate to something smaller.

LewdMonocle
Mar 8, 2007
Where to start? I'm jealous of people like dpack_1 coming out of nowhere and making GBS threads this thread up with his amazing dragon. How long did that take, 2-3 days? Geez...

Morham, as fluff goes, your model REALLY upsets me. He looks down-trodden, demoralized, and ragged. A breat knight would never go to battle in that condition. (or maybe he's on his final charge?)

As a model goes, hats off to ya!

My only pet-peeve:

I hate that part of the GW horse model. It already has three planted hooves. I'd cut that off.

Fyrbrand posted:

A huge stack of reptiles
:hfive:

Again, great tuts Sole. Was also going to ask for a feather guide.

Combaticus, can you expand more on your trukk project? i.e. what thickness plasticard, what type of glue, was it freehand, how did you make the wheels? More, more, more!

Beautiful Space Marines PV.

Finished some skinks:

Click here for the full 1713x274 image.

Lastly, playing with light direction:

Click here for the full 2000x740 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Feeple posted:

Five 30mm bases and even one 60mm one would be awesome! How much would you charge?

Well I'd have to buy some 30mm, I don't have any standing by. I'm in the UK for p&p, they could go large letter so 50p upwards. Say £5 + p&p? Do you have any particular models in mind for them? e.g. are perfectly flat bases a requirement?

• Locked thread