Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

eddiewalker posted:

Are you arguing whether metal corrodes? I just pulled this out of my trash. It's only a year or so old, but quit making a reliable connection due to corrosion.

(I didn't solder that. It's ugly but was functional before it met the elements.)

I know metal corrodes, but not as fast or as much as Monster would lead you to believe.

Seriously do you live on the sea or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Sports TV. I put lots of expensive equipment out in the weather. I replace a lot of connectors like that, especially during baseball season with long homestands in the humidity.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

eddiewalker posted:

That's not a terrible price for an accessory for an Apple product that's almost 10 years old.

Yes it is. They were still selling iPods that charged by firewire in 2005, and the Apple price was $25 for the cable.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

fishmech posted:

Yes it is. They were still selling iPods that charged by firewire in 2005, and the Apple price was $25 for the cable.

That's the cable for pre-2003 ipods without a dock connector.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

Sports TV. I put lots of expensive equipment out in the weather. I replace a lot of connectors like that, especially during baseball season with long homestands in the humidity.

So basically you're comparing your experience with equipment that has to sit outside and bear the elements vs a cable that will most likely never leave the computer desk. That's what snake oil salesmen do my friend.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
No, the point I was trying to make is that gold plated connectors do have a benefit, albeit minor, in their resistance to corrosion. This thread is about mocking the "tweaks" that won't benefit anyone in any situation no matter what.

At least there aren't as many outfits saying they use gold because its conductivity any more.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

eddiewalker posted:

No, the point I was trying to make is that gold plated connectors do have a benefit, albeit minor, in their resistance to corrosion. This thread is about mocking the "tweaks" that won't benefit anyone in any situation no matter what.

At least there aren't as many outfits saying they use gold because its conductivity any more.

That's still a bit disingenuous at best.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doc Spratley posted:

Monster© Sata Cables - "Turn your BitStream into a BitRiver! Powered by Monster BitFlow© technology"

The Something Audio Audiophile-Grade Better Audio Gizmo Solutions

Throughout the centuries, the seekers of the purest sound knew one thing: That they had to avoid using their computers like the plague. It wasn't until 1920 that Tidus Ronso started his quest to allow people from all around the world to truly experience sound as God intended from a computer. Now, almost a century later, his researches are finally accessible to everyone...

For only $3,000.00 you'll be able to reduce every single problem your computer has ever offered to your sound experience. Jitter, latency, interference, not enough power for your speakers or headphone... these issues that trouble even the most ignorant mind have finally come to an end. The improvements are so obvious that even the average Joe will notice, and no longer be able to listen to music without the BAGS.

But what are the BAGS composed of? Well let's take a look:

Audiophile-Grade RAM memory: These low-latency RAM are optimized to load music files. As a matter of fact, they'll only load audio files. No more will other files delay the execution of your sweet music again.

Noise Cancelator Detonator: This PCI board will actively cancel all the noise going in inside your computer.

Low-Noise CPU Fans: Projected to assist the NCD in its arduous task.

Audio-Master SATA cables: These cables will transfer your audio files to the RAM much better. How you ask? By making the bits much sweeter, and improve their soundstage of course!

Reviews:

"I must say when I first read about the "Something Audio" audiophile-grade products, I was a bit skeptical. Could someone finally have solved the myriad of problems involved with computers when looking for a fine audio performance? We had to try it.

We here at AVBlablah had the honor to test many powerful, robust solutions, but the truth is: None of them are nearly as elegant as the SAAG BAGS. We believe the BAGS can turn your computer into a solid, dedicated audio solution. For only $3,000 the package, you'll be only paying 1/10th the price of the more expensive CD players and cables but we guarantee you - it will be as good, if not better."

"Speechless. I would not, in fact, dare to speak while listening to the sound powered by the magic of the SA equipment. Even a whisper would be but an offense to one's ears while they appreciate the pure, crystalline sound. I am, still, speechless."

"I could not believe... the sound was so clear. It was like the instruments were around me for the first time. Despite the fact we say this to every new product, be it cable, amplifier, headphones, etc. But the Something Audio products... they really made the difference."

"When I proudfoot started my website I would never expect to find audio products that actually worked. To say this thing improves your sound is an understatement. Luckily for you you can buy directly from our website. Just use the exclusive coupon "SAGOONS" for 50% discount."

Elentor fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Dec 22, 2009

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Elentor posted:

Noise Cancelator Detonator: This PCI board will actively cancel all the noise going in inside your computer.

No lies noise was my biggest loving problem with my computer. It was so back my sound card was picking up high frequency noises from my mouse. A separate sound card fixed my problems.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

timb posted:

Do you live on a houseboat or something? What the gently caress...

You try getting good corrosion protection on Venus!

205b
Mar 25, 2007

Elentor posted:

HIS may have beaten you to the punch here: http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-388.shtml

A bargain at only $80!

authentic customer testimonials posted:

-Makes the inside of my computer look a little more sophisticated, I think. A computer that has more components crammed inside looks more powerful to a person who knows little about computers.
-Gives me something to think about.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

HKR posted:

It was so back my sound card was picking up high frequency noises from my mouse.

I have this on my work pc - when I have headphones in, rotating the scroll wheel produces a high pitched scratching, and oddly enough when dragging a window around (not just click/moving) it produces static. Pain in the arse.

Nagelfar
Mar 21, 2005

cubicle gangster posted:

I have this on my work pc - when I have headphones in, rotating the scroll wheel produces a high pitched scratching, and oddly enough when dragging a window around (not just click/moving) it produces static. Pain in the arse.
Having a dell computer? Using the front output for your earphones? Try using the one in the back, fixed the problem for me.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

HKR posted:

I know metal corrodes, but not as fast or as much as Monster would lead you to believe.

Seriously do you live on the sea or something?

If you're outside and the connectors are going to be regularly exposed to moisture it does actually make sense to have gold plated pins. Back when I worked for a cable company that supplied the large touring companies as well as places like abbey road studios the only people who specified gold connectors was the higher end live sound and O/B guys.

Quality cable actually does make a difference as well - once you start running lengths of 2km.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
There's also that some older electronics would commonly use one metal and regular cables used another, and if there was any ambient humidity, those two metals + electricity meant they'd start corroding each other once plugged in.

Forget what the two metals were, but the gold tip thing mostly started out of people wanting a cable that wouldn't corrode half the stuff you plugged it to.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
For some reason I get and audio newsletter or something like that in my e-mail. I usually ignore it, but yesterday they had this article:

http://www.avguide.com/review/furutech-gt2-usb-cable-playback-26?src=Playback

I have no words.

Edit: Well, actually I have some words. From the article:

Thus, my challenge to skeptics is a simple one: set aside your preconceptions and carefully compare USB cables playing actual music through your preferred reference USB DAC in a good sound system. See what (if any) differences you observe. If one cable does consistently sound better to you than another, then you’ve found a good thing. If not, then no real harm has been done (apart from having enjoyed a good evening of music, which is surely not a bad thing).

No harm, except a $240 dent in your wallet for nothing.

evobatman fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 23, 2009

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Chris Martens posted:

Little did I know at the time that the blog would become a magnet for critical commentary from self-proclaimed “real electrical engineers” eager to stamp their feet, make disparaging comments, and to argue (or even to “prove”) that high quality USB cables can’t possibly make an audible difference. My thought: perhaps engineers—like politicians—would be better creative problem solvers if only they were not blinded by what the late President Reagan might have termed “the things they know that just aren’t so.”

Uh, what? Blinded by SCIENCE?

The comments are awesome though:

Michael G posted:

This is the kind of black magic that makes me shake my head and cry. I make peace with it by reminding myself that freedom of religion is a fundamental part of a civil society.

Hey, I've wasted more than $100 and hookers and booze ... who am I to criticize Chris? ;-)

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Elentor posted:

Audiophile-Grade RAM memory: These low-latency RAM are optimized to load music files. As a matter of fact, they'll only load audio files. No more will other files delay the execution of your sweet music again.

On a slightly serious note, wouldn't freaks buy ECC RAM so that the audio data is "how god intended it"? I would market the poo poo out of that to audiophiles, especially given that it is already such a pricey item, and they seem to like that.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Nagelfar posted:

Having a dell computer? Using the front output for your earphones? Try using the one in the back, fixed the problem for me.

It's a boxx - probably the audiophile version of a vfx pc, but they ended up cheaper than dell. edit: http://www.boxxtech.com/
I will give that a go though - I am on the front, and I have a headphone extension somewhere I can dig out.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 25, 2009

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Do you have audio from your motherboard? this is the problem.

Sunesis
Apr 17, 2003

RANPHA IS MAD LOL

Gromit posted:

On a slightly serious note, wouldn't freaks buy ECC RAM so that the audio data is "how god intended it"? I would market the poo poo out of that to audiophiles, especially given that it is already such a pricey item, and they seem to like that.

Again, because of the way digital audio works, missing even one bit from the stream would create something akin to static noise, or a thump. It would be very noticeable, because its just not that sample that gets affected, its the samples around that broken sample, because the samples make up a waveform, and that waveform just got mangled. The only way this wouldn't matter would be for the LSB, but if its happening randomly to the LSB, it will be happening to the other bits too.

Same thing with the USB cable. The bits are buffered into samples before being decoded. The audio either ends up at the sound card in one piece, or it becomes a mess.

Buggerlugs
Aug 27, 2003

"All right, Bellamy came on at Liverpool and did well, but everybody
thinks that he's the saviour, he's Jesus Christ. He's not Jesus Christ"
Dave Rat, the sound engineer for RHCP and Blink182 - this guy designs speakers and sound systems, just take a look at his blog - has a word or two about audiophiles.

http://www.ratsound.com/cblog/archives/362-Possibility-Plausibility-Probability-Provability.html

proudfoot
Jul 17, 2006
Yak! Look! a Yak!
I got a better idea; if audiophiles are so concerned about cable quality, why not sell them superconducting interconnects? They have a sheath around them which is filled a cryogenic coolant. And when the sheath invariably leaks, they die.

Whats the markup you can make on one of these?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Sunesis posted:

Again, because of the way digital audio works, missing even one bit from the stream would create something akin to static noise, or a thump. It would be very noticeable, because its just not that sample that gets affected, its the samples around that broken sample, because the samples make up a waveform, and that waveform just got mangled. The only way this wouldn't matter would be for the LSB, but if its happening randomly to the LSB, it will be happening to the other bits too.

Same thing with the USB cable. The bits are buffered into samples before being decoded. The audio either ends up at the sound card in one piece, or it becomes a mess.

So you're saying yes, they should be wasting their money on ECC RAM?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

proudfoot posted:

I got a better idea; if audiophiles are so concerned about cable quality, why not sell them superconducting interconnects? They have a sheath around them which is filled a cryogenic coolant. And when the sheath invariably leaks, they die.

Whats the markup you can make on one of these?

Without a markup this will be very expensive. As in hilariously expensive.

Sunesis
Apr 17, 2003

RANPHA IS MAD LOL

Gromit posted:

So you're saying yes, they should be wasting their money on ECC RAM?

What i am saying is it either works, or doesn't work. Little 1% improvements don't work for Digital Audio, unless you are in a dealing with lots of different clocks from different devices, or lots of digital gear hooked up after each other.

so no way, no ecc ram or anything crazy like that.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Sunesis posted:

What i am saying is it either works, or doesn't work. Little 1% improvements don't work for Digital Audio, unless you are in a dealing with lots of different clocks from different devices, or lots of digital gear hooked up after each other.

Crazy being the operating word. These are people who firmly, adamantly, obnoxiously and aggressively believe in the "little 1% improvements." And they can be suckered, trivially easily, into buying whatever bullshit you want to sell. Whole publications dedicated to trumpeting the next fevered bullshit. Products that could not physically be doing anything to the sound receiving rave reviews from all of the major publications in the audiophile industry.

If you can build it, they are dumb. And rich. There's a saying somewhere in there, something about a fool and some money, I don't know.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Sunesis posted:

These are the same people who believe that special (expensive) HDMI cables gives you a warmer and richer picture compared to regular HDMI cables.

proudfoot
Jul 17, 2006
Yak! Look! a Yak!
Someone calls out Charles Hansen on his hilariously expensive rebadge of the Oppo BDP-83. He responds!

Charles Hansen posted:

Anybody that quotes Jimi in his signature line gets bonus points from me. But there is no need to take anything to private messages. If you feel that there is something that would be beneficial to share with the other readers of this thread, by all means, fire away!

But if all you want to do is argue that "bits are bits" and that the Ayre cannot produce a better picture quality than the Oppo, please refrain until you have had direct experience. It's one thing to say, "I compared the Ayre to the Oppo with XYZ display and ABC discs and saw no differences." It's another thing entirely (and in my experience, totally useless) to say, "The Ayre delivers the same data to the display as the Oppo, so therefore there cannot be any difference in the picture quality."

The former has value. The latter does not.

"You have to see it or you won't know the difference mannnnnn".

(And if you do, you're going to see a difference thanks to rationalizing your 10k Blu-Ray player purchase)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

quote:

It's another thing entirely (and in my experience, totally useless) to say, "The Ayre delivers the same data to the display as the Oppo, so therefore there cannot be any difference in the picture quality."
laughing out loud

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
that is amazing

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Sunesis posted:

Yeah, you're not getting my meaning. I'm not suggesting it makes any sense, I'm suggesting it's a perfect product to aim at the audiophile market.

proudfoot
Jul 17, 2006
Yak! Look! a Yak!
The really sad thing, is that even the reasonable/sane forums(AVSForum) are setup so people can't really jump in a thread and call bullshit on a manafacturer.

I saw qirex posting in the Blu-Ray player forums as well, and I so desperately want to jump in and call bullshit on the Ayre thread. But if I go in alone and get banned, its not worth the effort.

Qirex, If you do, I'll jump in too.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1181755

This thread is just a few pages of finely worded bullshit.

proudfoot fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 1, 2010

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

You can't call a spade a spade on AVS without getting called a troll, It's perfectly fine to say "I don't believe any of this makes a difference" but their mods are really trigger happy. Plus I don't know if it's sock puppeting or what but it seems like every guy who works for a company on there has a bunch of dudes riding his nuts ready to white knight for him.

qirex fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 1, 2010

proudfoot
Jul 17, 2006
Yak! Look! a Yak!

qirex posted:

You can't call a spade a spade on AVS without getting called a troll, It's perfectly fine to say "I don't believe any of this makes a difference" but their mods are really trigger happy. Plus I don't know if it's sock puppeting or what but it seems like every guy who works for a company on there has a bunch of dudes riding his nuts ready to white knight for him.

Theres a pretty big difference between being a fanboy of a product, and defending it, compared to the absolute utter bullshit spewed out by a company CEO.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

proudfoot posted:

Theres a pretty big difference between being a fanboy of a product, and defending it, compared to the absolute utter bullshit spewed out by a company CEO.

CEO wins because he at least knows it's bullshit?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Boiled Water posted:

Without a markup this will be very expensive. As in hilariously expensive.
We are talking about a target audience in which people have bought this:
http://www.hifi-products.com/Transparent,Cable/Opus,MM2,Speaker,Cable,cable,1035916212FC55E7,PicFront.html

proudfoot
Jul 17, 2006
Yak! Look! a Yak!
Lexicon BD-30 - not only a rebadged Oppo, it's actually one inside another aluminum shell!

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/...xicon-outside-1

quote:

Possibly the funniest shot was the one we took of the bottom of the Lexicon BD-30 Blu-ray player. Here you can see that they literally cut out the aluminum bottom to make space for the vent holes of the Oppo's chassis. If you didn't "get" that Lexicon actually put a full Oppo BDP-83 INSIDE of a chassis, slapped a label on it and is shipping it for $3000 more, this photo should help. Of course, they did add a Lexicon splash screen to the menu system (which, by the way, is identical to the Oppo except that some items are reordered) and a billet aluminum faceplate is certainly nice.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

proudfoot posted:

Lexicon BD-30 - not only a rebadged Oppo, it's actually one inside another aluminum shell!

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/...xicon-outside-1

I'll bet there are some people who bought it who will swear it's better than the Oppo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

THX has been useless for years too, certifying cheapo Dell computers and Logitech speakers. This whole thing is hilarious. More comments here but go back to the beginning of the thread if you want to read more from the naysayers.