Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrazoTheClown
Jun 23, 2006
One Man. One Way.
Here's a glass. I kinda hosed up on it, but I'm just starting, so i think it looks alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes
You should really think about using a backlight.

John Blaster
Aug 2, 2006

I can't fall asleep without thinking about killing people.
Needs more polygons!

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.

butterypancakes posted:

You should really think about using a backlight.

I think it's more "dramatic" this way, and the lack of polygons creates "tension".

GrazoTheClown
Jun 23, 2006
One Man. One Way.

Hinchu posted:

I think it's more "dramatic" this way, and the lack of polygons creates "tension".

lol, I can tell you're bashing me, it's all good. I just started doing 3D a few days ago, so I expect the harshness. You wouldn't mind giving me some pointers though, would you?

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving
I think he's mocking you because people have been giving you advice, but you seem to be ignoring it.

"Use more lights/use a backlight" and "needs more polygons"

ceebee: Thanks, I'm only really familiar with the unreal engine, but this is more for portfolio I guess. I'm working on a series of them toppled over like dominoes. I see what you mean about the sillouette; I have a few of the edges with damage, but could definitely use more.

EoinCannon: Thanks, yeah the markings are way too regular.

GrazoTheClown
Jun 23, 2006
One Man. One Way.

le capitan posted:

I think he's mocking you because people have been giving you advice, but you seem to be ignoring it.

"Use more lights/use a backlight" and "needs more polygons"

I don't know what a backlight is or how to create more polygons.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving

GrazoTheClown posted:

I don't know what a backlight is or how to create more polygons.

John Blaster posted a link to a 3 light system tutorial (http://www.3drender.com/light/3point.html). The "rim light" in that tutorial is a backlight. It's just a light that lights the object from behind.

As for more polygons, it really depends on how you made the glass. I think the best way to go about making that glass would be to create a line and use the lathe modifier. You can make it smoother/increase the polygons in the lathe modifiers properties.

If you don't know what any of that means I would suggest going into the help section of whatever program you're using. They usually have beginner tutorials; probably a good place to start. Otherwise you could just google beginner tutorials for which program you're using.

good luck

le capitan fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 1, 2010

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Also glass looks boring without any kind of reflection map. "Studio lighting" is nice and all but it really doesn't help you make it look realistic when you're tweaking the material. Just don't overdo it.

Seconding the help files that come with every major 3D application. Either that or Gnomon, 3DBuzz, Lynda, Youtube, etc.

John Blaster
Aug 2, 2006

I can't fall asleep without thinking about killing people.

GrazoTheClown posted:

lol, I can tell you're bashing me, it's all good. I just started doing 3D a few days ago, so I expect the harshness. You wouldn't mind giving me some pointers though, would you?

It's all good, homie. Always good to know more people are getting into 3D. It's the wave of the fyooch. If you just started a couple of days ago, you're doing really well. I look forward to seeing your progress. Just ALWAYS remember your help files, online tutorials, CGtalk.com, and LOOK AT REAL LIFE - (How is light hitting this sea shell? How much refraction is on this bottle of cologne? What's the specularity like on this sausage? On this log of poo poo? ARE THESE SHADOWS REALLY BLACK??!?!!! Hint: nope.) Also, flickr is your buddy.

Oh, also, learn Houdini.

John Blaster fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 1, 2010

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.

le capitan posted:

This.

Although I really couldn't help myself. What everyone else said is good advice and they provided good links. I don't mean to be elitist or anything ;) When you render stuff and it disappears into black it's generally not a good thing. Generally you light to show off your geometry, not to hide and obscure it.

GrazoTheClown
Jun 23, 2006
One Man. One Way.
My texture is all hosed, I know, but this is my face on a head I modeled.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

GrazoTheClown posted:

My texture is all hosed, I know, but this is my face on a head I modeled.

Not a bad head considering how new you are to this but what everyone is trying to tell you is to stop rendering against black and try a little lighting.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Flex Mentallo posted:

Lots of code.

Ahh, I see what you did. As aforementioned, MEL isn't my strong point, just trying to figure out a better way to get this sussed (as opposed to hand-animating it all). This worked -- going to try to refine it for better results. Hope to post something soon!

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Does anyone know any websites or agencies that list all 3d studios, not just games like Gamasutra or Datascope? I'm trying to find a decent list of 3d studios in the UK but all I can find are games studios!

Oh also because I never show anything off here's a few of the animals I made for a Wii game that's been out now for a few months.

3-5000 triangles, mostly around 3.5k, hand painted diffuse map after baking in a lighting map for shadows. Some are better than others but it was my first go at more involved organic modelling.

Click here for the full 970x939 image.

Click here for the full 752x540 image.

Click here for the full 648x612 image.

Click here for the full 884x632 image.

Click here for the full 922x768 image.

Click here for the full 754x957 image.

Copyright Sega.

brian encino man fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 2, 2010

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Nice stuff Brian Encino Man. I especially like the impala's texture and horns. I can't imagine keeping that under 5,000 polys.

I've got a quick question for the thread, if you guys don't mind. I'm working on this scene, but I'm having some weird issues with the ray tracing. You can see in the top right of the image, one of the reflections of another glass is opaque, not transparent. It's really bizarre and I'm assuming it's got something to do with ray depth or the number of reflections a ray can make but I'll be damned if I can figure out what to change

Here's my material settings;

Using the newest version of Blender x64 with internal renderer.

GrazoTheClown
Jun 23, 2006
One Man. One Way.
I made a cannon.

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Do you want constructive criticism?

GrazoTheClown
Jun 23, 2006
One Man. One Way.

brian encino man posted:

Do you want constructive criticism?

Yes, anything would be appreciated.

I can't figure out how to not render in front of Black, I put backgrounds and skys up, but it still renders in black.

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Ok well click on Render, then Environment and look what the colour is. Default is black. The trouble with black is it looks horrible in most circumstances, ruins a silhouette which is monumentally important and is unnatural. As John Blaster said previously, you don't really ever see black shadows.

One thing that looks ok sometimes for rough models is to make a matte shadow render. Look I'll show you how:

Disclaimer: I don't really know anything about lighting and this is really only to show how to change environment colour and set up a matte shadow so I'm going to use a skylight. You probably shouldn't if you want to show off a model as it flattens the texture somewhat.

Ok I just chucked an untextured box in to max and clicked on Render, then Environment.

Here you can set what colour you want. Please don't go crazy and put in like bright pink! A nice mid-tone grey will look fine for this test.

Then I made a plane. This is going to be the thing that catches the shadows from the turd-polishing skylight, or 3 position omni's or whatever you feel like. Then click Materials or press M for murder. Then click where it says Standard.

Click Matte Shadow. This means it catches the shadow but the rest is transparent. It really depends what you're going for but it looks good for beginner models.

Drag the material on to the plane and then put in whatever lighting you want. That's a skylight with shadows turned on.

There, a non-black render with shadows. Its rubbish yes but at least you can see the model and its outline.

You mentioned earlier you want to put in a background. Well that's in Render -> Environment, like the colour before, but just click on the box next to colour and select an image. Frankly you should be making a skybox but you did ask.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Nice stuff Brian Encino Man. I especially like the impala's texture and horns. I can't imagine keeping that under 5,000 polys.

I've got a quick question for the thread, if you guys don't mind. I'm working on this scene, but I'm having some weird issues with the ray tracing. You can see in the top right of the image, one of the reflections of another glass is opaque, not transparent. It's really bizarre and I'm assuming it's got something to do with ray depth or the number of reflections a ray can make but I'll be damned if I can figure out what to change

Here's my material settings;

Using the newest version of Blender x64 with internal renderer.

Pretty sure you're right. I'd try increasing both ray depths to 10 or 12 and seeing if that changes anything.

GrazoTheClown
Jun 23, 2006
One Man. One Way.
That look better?

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

GrazoTheClown posted:

That look better?

Looks like you need a brighter light.

GrazoTheClown
Jun 23, 2006
One Man. One Way.

Chenghiz posted:

Looks like you need a brighter light.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Now you're just messing with us!

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
ahahahaha

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Hahahaha.

Grazo, 3D rendering is about 75% lighting. You have to think like a photographer.

Don't just increase the intensity of one light. Use 3 sources of light ideally.

EDIT: Can anyone recommend any good books on modelling? Specifically people but other things work to.

Moist von Lipwig fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 3, 2010

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

I never thought the 3dcg thread would get trolled but that's hilarious.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

That is pretty amazing, bravo sir :golfclap:

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
New anim reel yo (yes I KNOW it looks more like vfx reel but that's the shots I got!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-ZUAGTzXLA

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That's great work mate
The shots from Surfs Up and G-Force are particularly awesome
Very impressive

GrazoTheClown
Jun 23, 2006
One Man. One Way.
I give you.......A LAMP!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

GrazoTheClown posted:

I give you.......A LAMP!

Turn down the intensity

Spaceman Love
Jun 19, 2003

come on take a trip in my rocket ship

Alan Smithee posted:

Turn down the intensity

Spaceman Love
Jun 19, 2003

come on take a trip in my rocket ship
oh you think maybe i should add another light? well here you go :smug:

just threw this together in Nuke for kicks

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
quick and dirty. I almost didn't post but I like how you can see the progression as I remember how to do things and how you shouldn't do things.

yeah yeah Star Wars but I'm trying to reengage my brain and you gotta start somewhere

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
This is an approved cross post from the jobs thread here in CC: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2563469&pagenumber=21#post370628280

The company I work for needs badass 3D artists and I know there are a lot of badasses around here.

Job Posting

I've posted for programmers before, this time its artists we're after. We are a small simulation / serious game company located in Orlando, FL. Instead of writing up something pretty I just got some requirements from our Art Director.

Interested and qualified people can e-mail me at pdriggett (AT) ecsorl (DOT) com

• 2 years professional 3D industry experience
  • Proficient in 3DSMax, preferably in low-poly real-time modeling
  • Strong Photoshop skills for photo manipulation and hand-painted texture work
  • Strong UV Mapping skills
  • Some experience with animation, rigging and/or organic modeling a plus
  • Architectural and static modeling skills
  • Experience with lighting and rendering, especially with MentalRay or equivalent rendering system
  • Portfolio and work examples REQUIRED for consideration
  • Local to Central Florida, or willing to relocate immediately (Feb 1st)

This is for immediate fill, so get in contact with me while its hot. They're doing interviews I type.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Beautiful little CG short.

VVV Thought they went a little overboard with the DOF / rack focus VVV

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 8, 2010

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

It's a good effort for a beginner, definitely has some way to go though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

People keep linking me that thing and I've not sat through it once because it's just a big boring showreel on how to light concrete walls. I'm sure lots of effort and care was spent in the making but gently caress if I give a poo poo.