Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The more I read about Dillinger Is Dead and Pedro Costa, the more I'm looking forward to those titles. This is the first month in ages where every release is either a definite purchase or a potential purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

How often do y'all purchase poo poo without having seen it?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

penismightier posted:

How often do y'all purchase poo poo without having seen it?

I'm much more likely to buy a Criterion release blindly than a normal movie, if only for the fact that I can always resell it for a decent amount if it turns out I hate it. :v:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

What's wrong with blind buying? Most of my Criterions are blind-buys, but is it really objectionable to get The Third Man or Seven Samurai just from reading about them?

However, my blind-buys are always from sales.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Usually if I blind-buy, it's just because a movie is in a box set with another movie I want. I bought the Teshigahara box for Woman in the Dunes, but ended up really loving The Face of Another too, so that worked out nicely.

I rarely blind-buy in other cases, and when I do, I usually end up not keeping it (like recently with Up).

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
I'll blind buy a Criterion if its something I'm getting for cheap/on sale and am relatively sure I will like, or if its an OOP edition that I find in a used store (For Ex: I just bought Notorious last week).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Unless you absolutely want Rudy Behlmer's commentary, the MGM/Fox edition is better in every way and cheaper. I think all the archival supplements were retained, plus new documentaries and commentaries recorded.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Egbert Souse posted:

What's wrong with blind buying? Most of my Criterions are blind-buys, but is it really objectionable to get The Third Man or Seven Samurai just from reading about them?

However, my blind-buys are always from sales.

Don't get all excited, I'm just curious.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Unless you absolutely want Rudy Behlmer's commentary, the MGM/Fox edition is better in every way and cheaper. I think all the archival supplements were retained, plus new documentaries and commentaries recorded.

Well, crap, I wish I'd known. On the other hand, I was getting it with trade-in so I only paid like $9.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Why would anybody sell Up?

Gorgeous movie, and gorgeous release too.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

bmmello posted:

Why would anybody sell Up?

Gorgeous movie, and gorgeous release too.

Maybe he didn't like it as much as some people and is squeezed for shelf space as it is?

I actually think the only blind buys I do are Criterions. I usually have seen everything else I own in theaters or from VHS/DVD/HBO/Etc.; of course, being familiar with the directors/stars help, though, so I guess it's more a "legally blind" buy, not a full one. I think the only full-out blind buy I've done was Last Year At Marienbad, and I think that might have been because FFD and Egbert Souse were like "oh, holy poo poo, that's a must buy".

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I don't think I vouched for Marienbad... I've already tried watching it twice without falling asleep. Granted my hours are terrible this time of year (working until 7, getting home at 8 on weekdays), but I'm probably reselling it soon unfortunately.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

I don't think I vouched for Marienbad... I've already tried watching it twice without falling asleep. Granted my hours are terrible this time of year (working until 7, getting home at 8 on weekdays), but I'm probably reselling it soon unfortunately.

Huh. Well, I know some people were high on it, and it's what inspired me to just out and out buy it. You should try to push through one last time when you may have a little more space in your schedule to relax with it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Cameo posted:

Maybe he didn't like it as much as some people and is squeezed for shelf space as it is?

Yeah, I'm not getting why Up should be considered a must-own title. It's a good movie (I gave it an 8) but so far the only Pixar in my collection is WALL-E.

As for shelf space, I finally ordered a new rack. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of space to work with (unless we rearrange the living room which I don't wanna do) so it's not much bigger than what I've already got. But it'll give me a little more room to grow the collection.

The Cameo posted:

Huh. Well, I know some people were high on it, and it's what inspired me to just out and out buy it. You should try to push through one last time when you may have a little more space in your schedule to relax with it.

I know I was one of the people cheerleading for Marienbad.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I drifted off during Marienbad, but also during Eraserhead. They are far from boring movies, they just tend to put me in a very trancelike state of mind. The blu-ray is absolutely gorgeous though, no doubt about that.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I still have no idea whether I like Marienbad or not. It's one of those films that starts out with a dream sequence, except the dream sequence never ends. In a way it's kind of disturbing because no matter what happens the film loops back on itself; the audience is never given a chance to really get a grip on what they are seeing.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 17, 2009

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Egbert Souse posted:

I work strange hours too (third shift) and when I first watched Last Year at Marienbad I dozed off. I wish I hadn't because it was genuinely fascinating, but I can never seem to find the right time to sit down and watch it. :(

I don't regret blind buying it though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/8-1-2-Blu-ray-Review/7731/

:aaa:

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.

RichterIX posted:

gently caress, anybody want to buy my copies of Yojimbo and Sanjuro? :)

I'm in this boat too. They already look so good on DVD, though...

who am I kidding my birthday is in march those are going on my shelf day 1

troll for dollars
Jan 10, 2005
Blind bought Marienbad since the blu-ray was on-sale at Amazon and it sounded interesting. I completely get the people that say they're not sure whether or not they like it. I never felt bored with it, and it certainly seemed to move along pretty well enough. Very pretty, I'll say that much.

Also, I just want to comment on how much I enjoyed Naked Lunch. Not a movie for everyone, but I found myself enjoying it as much, if not more, as Videodrome. The bits with the typewriters are so completely ridiculous and over the top yet make complete sense at the same time.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Is there like some gigantic golden C somewhere that I can go and worship as a false idol? Because, seriously, if they keep on making these things look better and better...

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Looks like a bunch of Criterion distributed films just went Instant on Netflix. This includes (from ones that were on my queue): Soderbergh's Che, Europa, Jules and Jim, Elevator to the Gallows, L'Avventura, Mala Noche, Closely Watched Trains, Wings of Desire, and The Vanishing . From what I can tell, it looks like a bunch of Kurosawas went Instant too.

Che is certainly a surprise. I'll try to check it out within the week.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Friedpundit posted:

Looks like a bunch of Criterion distributed films just went Instant on Netflix. This includes (from ones that were on my queue): Soderbergh's Che, Europa, Jules and Jim, Elevator to the Gallows, L'Avventura, Mala Noche, Closely Watched Trains, Wings of Desire, and The Vanishing . From what I can tell, it looks like a bunch of Kurosawas went Instant too.

Che is certainly a surprise. I'll try to check it out within the week.

More than that have gone instant and many more are coming soon. It looks like they are putting the whole library up.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Yes, I only knew what I had seen go Instant on my queue.

Looks like it's 35 Criterions in fact.
http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/12/21/criterion-adds-thirty-five-films-to-stream-via-netflix/

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews8/8.5.htm

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
drat, I was really hoping the Days of Heaven blu ray would be coming from Paramount. The new Malick-supervised transfer from Criterion is so de-saturated that it doesn't feel like the same film. I always end up watching my cheap, 9 dollar Paramount disc instead.

Rush Hour Renegade
Jul 8, 2008

I haven't seen this posted yet but if it was I apologize. Criterion confirmed on their Facebook that they are releasing Jim Jarmusch's Mystery Train this summer. You can submit questions for them to ask Jim, it will be a part of the special features like they did with Night On Earth and Stranger Than Paradise.

CinnamonToastFunk
Nov 11, 2008

"He is ill clothed that is bare of funk."
--Pimpjammin Funklin
Guess who just picked up the three disc edition of Brazil for $20?

(hint: it was me)

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
Hey everyone! I bought a movie released on DVD by Criterion!

And I got a good price on it too!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Hey everyone! I bought a movie released on DVD by Criterion!

And I got a good price on it too!

Yeah, me too, I even double-dipped on it :argh: Criterion!!!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Yeah, but the special features on the new edition of Film Étranger Prétentieux (1959) make it totally worth it.

AndItsAllGone
Oct 8, 2003

My parents bought me the AK 100 box set for Christmas. I don't go back to work until Tuesday, so I know what I'm doing until then! I guess none of the films have commentary or anything--it's just the original movie with no extras. There are a few in this box that I haven't seen yet, so I'm looking forward to catching up.

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

I just watched Seven Samurai and the subtitles felt a bit off to me. I assume they are the best available but they felt too modern and westernised. I understand it must be hard getting a translation right but a 16th Century samurai saying jerk doesn't takes me out of the film a bit. How accurate are they?

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Anyone else get Last Year at Marienbad and have a huge sticker on front that you can't tear off?

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
Criterion released a New Year's mega-clue:

criterionforum sez:

Blu-Ray:
M (blue M on shirt of bike guy)
Days of Heaven (blue locusts)
by Brakhage Vol. 2 (Dog Star Man)
The Leopard (The blue leopard)
Revanche (blue axe)
Yojimbo/Sanjuro (blue katana)
Red Shoes (red shoes; presumably BR because of the new print)

DVD:
Close-Up (motorcycle and flowers)
Ride with the Devil
Rossellini's War Trilogy (road signs)
Colossal Youth (big baby)
Dillinger is Dead (polka dot revolver)
Four Feathers (the white feather)
Vivre Sa Vie (hotel sign)
Summer Hours (modernist vase at base of sign post)
Red Desert
Che (t-shirt)
Lola Montes (girl with the gun/t-shirt/ballet shoes)
Paris, Texas (road sign)
Make Way for Tomorrow (The Idlewild Home for Ladies sign)
Bigger than Life (pitcher of milk)

I think all of these were "known" and some even have street dates already.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I'm excited to see further confirmation for My Life to Live in the near future, I just watched it earlier today and loved it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Most of these we already knew (some of the clues are even recycled) but I'm really excited to see "confirmation" of Red Desert and Close-Up. Both are superior films.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The blue sky clearly indicates a new Criterion Blu-Ray of Armageddon

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's nice to see official confirmation of The Leopard, M, and The Red Shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Does anyone know/have a guess as to what the Masters of Cinema version of M will be like versus the Criterion one?