Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Wow I looked it up on Google, that looks amazing. Looks like a sweet skate scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Here are some other photos of the spot.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

It's pretty gnarly and always under construction but it's really fun and it's the only spot to skate when it's raining.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Bucket Joneses posted:

It's pretty gnarly and always under construction but it's really fun and it's the only spot to skate when it's raining.

How is THAT empty?

Mincher
May 12, 2008

Bucket Joneses posted:

I want this. Let's hope Santa is reeeeaaallly good to me. :)

e: also, i'm loving the photoshop eraser graffiti!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Mincher posted:

I want this. Let's hope Santa is reeeeaaallly good to me. :)

e: also, i'm loving the photoshop eraser graffiti!

The paint is actually covering up graffiti tags. The place looks really cool when the sanctioned art is up and not ruined by taggers. If you go through Flickr you can see all the old art and different stages of the spot as its been built up.

donJonSwan posted:

How is THAT empty?

This place is only busy in the afternoons and on the weekends. Most times I go there it's completely deserted (in the mornings) and lately even I don't go because it's so goddamn cold outside.

UfoRia
Dec 11, 2009

I quit skating in the last 80's when I discovered women and mdma after skating vert for about ten years. A friend of mine mentioned that a new law was passed in Texas where people couldn't sue the Municipal government if injured at a park doing a dangerous activity. Needless to say tons of world class skateparks opened up in Texas, which was amazing.

Needless to say I went out and bought a pool board and complete set of pads. The first few weeks it was a bit scary riding 8 to 12 foot of vert, but over time it became "less scary". It's the perfect exercise that includes the threat of death/injury, which makes it a loving blast. I have been amazed at how many > 35 year olds skate.....

Mincher
May 12, 2008
I've been sub'd to this guys YouTube channel for a while now. He skates purely for the fun of it and totally thrashes everything he hits.

He's also quite active on his account and will reply to Q's and comments.

Check him out: http://www.youtube.com/user/grimcity

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Dude has some skills but his style is sort of choppy. Maybe he just needs more speed or some bearing lube.

I've been digging on some hometown heroes lately:

Micah Hollinger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRZldYiIUSQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzlgVViCowE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6hRCYW5NdY

Adrian Williams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86AH8LhVVKo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoRGHZit5Hc

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

INTERGALACTIC CAN CHAMPION

Just starting to get comfortable riding transition. The park in my town has transitions that go almost vertical while only being around 5 feet tall, so it was...difficult to start riding up and down them. I'm still not fully comfortable dropping in, but I can pump, ride back down fakie, and pivot (unless I went up fakie). I think once I can drop in smoothly I'll start trying to learn rocks and stalls.

Still can't even land a shove-it though, but I'm pretty close. Do most of the tricks get easier to learn after you can kickflip and pop shove? Also, I am completely unable at the moment to ollie in any stance but regular, is it going to get harder to learn switch/nollie/fakie the longer I wait?

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Zizzyx posted:

Just starting to get comfortable riding transition. The park in my town has transitions that go almost vertical while only being around 5 feet tall, so it was...difficult to start riding up and down them. I'm still not fully comfortable dropping in, but I can pump, ride back down fakie, and pivot (unless I went up fakie). I think once I can drop in smoothly I'll start trying to learn rocks and stalls.

Still can't even land a shove-it though, but I'm pretty close. Do most of the tricks get easier to learn after you can kickflip and pop shove? Also, I am completely unable at the moment to ollie in any stance but regular, is it going to get harder to learn switch/nollie/fakie the longer I wait?

Too much mind sir. Just relax and have fun, don't stress about the order you learn tricks. Just do whatever feels right.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Zizzyx posted:

As far as shove-its go, I got way better at popping big ones after I got my foot position down solid for varial kick flips. For me it's the exact same foot position on the lead foot except with a shove-it you don't flick your toe back. Just pop the tail and it floats around.

As far as learning nollie and switch ollies further along in your progression, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You'll just get frustrated not being able to do any tricks regular or switch so you might as well just be frustrated with one set of tricks. I've been skating for years and I'm only just now getting around to loving around with switch and nollie tricks. It doesn't seem too hard... it's sort of like learning to skate again but you know that your body is capable of doing it so it's not as discouraging.

angrysurfer
Mar 14, 2006
Found some nice big wheels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umXW917Lb9s#t=5m43s

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

Bucket Joneses posted:

As far as shove-its go, I got way better at popping big ones after I got my foot position down solid for varial kick flips. For me it's the exact same foot position on the lead foot except with a shove-it you don't flick your toe back. Just pop the tail and it floats around.

As far as learning nollie and switch ollies further along in your progression, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You'll just get frustrated not being able to do any tricks regular or switch so you might as well just be frustrated with one set of tricks. I've been skating for years and I'm only just now getting around to loving around with switch and nollie tricks. It doesn't seem too hard... it's sort of like learning to skate again but you know that your body is capable of doing it so it's not as discouraging.

The motion that's getting me the closest to landing it is as such: start with my back toes hanging off the board a bit, pop the tail on the ground, and then extend my foot like I'm doing a calf raise. I still can't land on it but it seems to get it spinning properly. I think I'll just have to try a few thousand more before I land one. I'm pretty sure I'll be doing axle stalls and rock&rolls before I ever land a flatground trick :(

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Zizzyx posted:

I think I'll just have to try a few thousand more before I land one. I'm pretty sure I'll be doing axle stalls and rock&rolls before I ever land a flatground trick :(

That was probably the case with the majority of the pioneers of the sport so you're in good company :)

Boppin
Sep 4, 2004
DO YOU WANT TO HEAR A STORY?
I just got back into skating after a few years. It's handy living across the road from a pretty decent skate park. Sadly hosed my wrist up trying to learn rock to fakies at a mini ramp in Coburg.
http://www.skateboard.com.au/fusebox/index.cfm?id=1039&smithgrind=view

I should stick to the smaller quarters at my local maybe, seems to hurt less. 25 year old bones aren't to happy with me.

Mincher
May 12, 2008
I know what you mean. When you're 15yrs old, you seem indestructable.

Fast forward 10 years and you don't hold up so well! I'm constantly hurting myself these days.

Since we're on the theme of hometown heroes and local parks, here's where I get to roll:

Dudhope Park, Dundee:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

I also go here sometimes, although there's an entry fee and the ramps are pro-huge:

http://www.factoryskatepark.com/gallery.html

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
I'm seriously jealous of all the sweet concrete parks people seem to have access to.

The politics in Montreal pretty much prevent any decent cement park from being built. The architects don't want to hire private companies that specialize in building skate parks, so we end up with modular parks and travesties like this:

Luckily the scene here is pretty tight, I had a helping hand in constructing (moving wood around as the carpenters did their thing) this beauty:

There's a big over vert that you don't see in the picture but if you browse the site there are tons of good pictures. http://ndgskate.com/

It's a pretty small place but they're trying to fit everything and anything they can into that space, there used to be a mini ramp separate from the bowl but it blocked a doorway and the town said it had to be removed. They are building a small street course (think banks or quarter ramps at each end of the wall and a box or rail in the middle) alongside one of the walls. Anyways it'll keep me busy during the winter that's for sure.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

That looks sweet. A good indoor park is so awesome when you live in a place that gets a legit winter. Watching skate videos in Decmeber makes me want to move to Santa Cruz.

Last night I got heel flips back. Back to the point that they feel tons easier than kick flips. I think it's because my foot is way more solid flipping with the heel than it is with the toes. Also almost got nose manual > shove > manual down but couldn't commit to it in the low light.

Boppin
Sep 4, 2004
DO YOU WANT TO HEAR A STORY?
Went to Bali last month, while we were there we sussed out the skate park in Kuta and the Globe bowl in Jimbaran. The globe park was pretty hard to find.

Apparently they built this pretty kick arse indoor park but teared it down a couple of months later for some reason.

These kids in Melbourne don't know how lucky they have it with all the different parks we have around.

edit- Broke tables, my bad.

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

I ate poo poo so hard yesterday on my way to the park that I destroyed the pants and sweater I was wearing, but I learned rock to fakie later that day so it's all good!

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Boppin, that bowl looks so sick!

Mincher
May 12, 2008

Boppin posted:

Went to Bali last month, while we were there we sussed out the skate park in Kuta and the Globe bowl in Jimbaran. The globe park was pretty hard to find.

'Where's the park? Down by the statue?'

'HOLY gently caress! LOOK AT THAT loving STATUE!'

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
So happy to see this thread.

I started back up skating daily after a 6+ year hiatus, a few months ago. Moved from New Orleans to Boulder, Co a few years ago, and having skateparks around and *gasp* hills is quite amazing. I've just gotten my moving ollie back, and it's all due to the confidence/stability brought forth by buying an 8" board with Thunder 147's. I've gotten taller in the interim years, and my 7.5-7.75's weren't cutting it.

I'm loving it, just wish that I'd have been more hyped about it before Winter hit. I want to spend every day at the park. This is what I get to skate: http://www.skateboardparks.com/colorado/boulder/

That, and the Safeway parking lot/loading dock by my house. 26 year old bones are certainly more brittle it seems.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
we found a new spot off the side of a highway. its some kind of industrial plant with a nice steep bank to a stall spot.

Mincher
May 12, 2008

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

we found a new spot off the side of a highway. its some kind of industrial plant with a nice steep bank to a stall spot.

Nice!

Old industrial places are always great for little spots like this. Be sure to take a broom though! :D

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Rad, I've been looking for a spot just like this.

That dude doesn't look AZN.

Bombed some parking garages on my dervish this weekend, one of them was ~6 stories tall, holding a turn that long has turned my hamstrings to jello. Standing up hurts soooo loving bad.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

donJonSwan posted:

Rad, I've been looking for a spot just like this.
That dude doesn't look AZN.

haha, he's not AZN, but I am. I knew one day I'd regret using the same handle since middle school, oh well.

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

Threw out my back for the first time at the ripe old age of 22 (moving a desk). How long is it gonna be til I'm back on my board?

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
For an utter beginner what sort of skate do you guys suggest? I went to my local skate shop and they suggested 7.75" one. I'm 175cm(5'9") 65kg(140 pounds).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

donJonSwan posted:

Bombed some parking garages on my dervish this weekend, one of them was ~6 stories tall, holding a turn that long has turned my hamstrings to jello. Standing up hurts soooo loving bad.

Try skating bowls all day long. My thigh muscles hurt so bad I thought I needed a wheelchair the next day.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Suspicious Lump posted:

For an utter beginner what sort of skate do you guys suggest? I went to my local skate shop and they suggested 7.75" one. I'm 175cm(5'9") 65kg(140 pounds).

Whatever you feel comfortable standing on it's all preference, if your shop is good they should let you stand on different decks to let you see if you like the overall shape. Deck widths 7.5" - 8.0" are the most common, 7.75" is kind of the middle of the road and is the size that I usually ride.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

renderful posted:

So happy to see this thread.

I started back up skating daily after a 6+ year hiatus, a few months ago. Moved from New Orleans to Boulder, Co a few years ago, and having skateparks around and *gasp* hills is quite amazing. I've just gotten my moving ollie back, and it's all due to the confidence/stability brought forth by buying an 8" board with Thunder 147's. I've gotten taller in the interim years, and my 7.5-7.75's weren't cutting it.

I'm loving it, just wish that I'd have been more hyped about it before Winter hit. I want to spend every day at the park. This is what I get to skate: http://www.skateboardparks.com/colorado/boulder/

That, and the Safeway parking lot/loading dock by my house. 26 year old bones are certainly more brittle it seems.

Same here; I skated a ton for most of my teenage years... typically 4-6 hours a day (more on weekends.) Quit when I was in 11th or 12th grade, and have lately been on and off about picking it back up, 8 years later. I couldn't resist, now that there is an awesome free park a few miles from where I live. Now that I'm 26 and pretty out of shape, just dicking around on the mini ramp or practicing flat land tricks for an hour or two renders my legs sore and useless for the next few days.

I'm picking it back up pretty quickly though, thanks to the inspiring young kids who are usually at the park (despite being ARGH PUNK ROCK SKATE RAT ASSHOLES DUDE BRAH ARGH GNARLY.) Two kids who couldn't have been a day past 14 were playing SKATE on the mini ramp... dropping in, ollieing up the bank, and landing the craziest poo poo (for a 14 year old) off the side; a good 5ft drop. 360 flips, frontside flips, hardflips, etc. Reminds me of when I was 14, two years into skateboarding, finally learning flip tricks beyond the basic kickflip, and blowing my mind in the process. Here these kids are just churning out 360 flips off a 5ft drop. :-(

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
I completely forgot this thread existed...

Zizzyx posted:

Boarding to and from work makes work slightly less of a chore lately since I have something fun to do before and something to look forward to after.

enojy: I'll have to learn powerslides then. And get over the nerves I feel as soon as I start going down a hill faster than I can kick on level ground haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33FvHMAUTZs

enojy posted:

Bombing hills still scares the poo poo out of me, but that's part of the fun. For some reason, falling at high speed isn't so bad. As long as you roll with it, you usually just end up with some annoying road rash for a week or two.

If you're going faster than you can run, do not roll. You're much more likely to get hurt if you're flopping around like a ragdoll. It's counter-intuitive, I know, but you should land and slide it out. You will get roadrash, but it's better than a broken arm or torn muscles/tendons/ligaments. If you're serious about bombing hills you should have slide gloves anyway, they give you a way to slow down, and you won't turn your hands into hamburger when you bail. I've gone down at 30+ before, my knee and elbow were chewed up, but my hands were fine. Knee and elbow pads would have prevented any roadrash at all, since you can land on those and just slide on the plastic instead your flesh.

Golem II posted:

wheels don't wear down in size. even if they are soft.

Not to be a dick, but...

It's more common with longboarding since you do much more carving, etc., but wheels do wear down.

VROOM VROOM posted:

I just started riding, got a longboard to cruise/get around on and jesus christ skateboarding uses a completely different set of muscles than anything else I've done, I'm dying :sweatdrop: I thought I was in pretty decent shape.
I look like an idiot stopping every few seconds, but I've only fallen once (flat on my rear end trying to go off a curb) and I'm learning - on the last leg of my ride today I figured out "bend your knees you tard, makes things a lot easier to control".

Now I just need to learn a decent way to stop instead of hurling myself at my lawn and hoping I'll be able to stay on my feet and run out of momentum before I hit something. v:shobon:v

Learn to footbrake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LloIFi4Qb8
You really can footbrake at any speed, as long as you can keep your nerves. Just transfer your weight to your braking foot, you want a nice smooth slide, you DON'T want to slap your foot against the ground. You will hurt yourself if you do that.

You can also learn to slide with slide gloves, but not everyone likes to wear gloves everywhere.

donJonSwan posted:

Ever have to do wall-sits in gym class? Practice endurance exercises like that. You need it, especially when you're doing big downhill runs. You can see near the end of this video, this guy has to pound on his thighs since he's tucking for the better part of 2.2 miles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fe4X0Xj8EI

I don't mean to come in and sound like a know-it-all, but thought I'd provide some tips and resources for people.

Mincher
May 12, 2008

DELETED posted:

Words. :eng101:

This is awesome and exactly what I see this thread being for. When I started to learn to skate there was no-one else around to show me the ropes (pre-internet days) so it's always good to pass on knowledge.

Also, do you know of any other exercises that would complement skating? I've been looking but i've never been too into fitness so I have no idea.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Mincher posted:

This is awesome and exactly what I see this thread being for. When I started to learn to skate there was no-one else around to show me the ropes (pre-internet days) so it's always good to pass on knowledge.

Also, do you know of any other exercises that would complement skating? I've been looking but i've never been too into fitness so I have no idea.

Depends. What kind of skating are you into and how committed are you? Here's a video from Sergio Yuppie, it shows him with his kids training with resistance bands and balance balls, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAM9Dw9Agok

You'd probably want to focus on core and leg strength and agility training. There's the Indo Board, which you can buy or make one your self with wood and some kind of cylinder: http://www.indoboard.com/

hankki
Nov 10, 2009
Hey everybody, I just moved to the Chicago area (Evanston to be exact) from Finland and I'd like to pick up skateboarding again. Are the any good indoor facilities with in a 1 hour drive and how much do they usually charge per visit? I found a few on google but I thought that some you might have nice inside information about the places. What I'm basicly looking for is a decent flatground, miniramp, a place to do manuals and about knee-high ledges so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Anyone else watched the "Wizard Smoke" video yet? I thought it was pretty cool

LINK: http://vimeo.com/7640196

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

XIII posted:

Anyone else watched the "Wizard Smoke" video yet? I thought it was pretty cool

LINK: http://vimeo.com/7640196

Seems pretty gimmicky with the dust (pulling off of Jonez's work in Yeah Right for sure). Take away all the dust and slow motion and it's just another skate vid.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
gently caress you guys I just got over my urges to go out and buy another skateboard after 7 years of not riding, no humiliation and no pain, then I see this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Bucket Joneses posted:

Seems pretty gimmicky with the dust (pulling off of Jonez's work in Yeah Right for sure). Take away all the dust and slow motion and it's just another skate vid.

The title font even looks like the type they used for Where the Wild Things Are.