Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
where are you guys getting the new chapters? neither 788 or 789 are up on onemanga and I can't find them with google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

ANIME AKBAR posted:

where are you guys getting the new chapters? neither 788 or 789 are up on onemanga and I can't find them with google.

For scanslated chapters, go here:
Ignition-One

For the raws, go to westbound.proboards.com (see bottom of those scans), and there is a subforum for chapter discussion. Raws are uploaded there.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Ytlaya posted:

Wasn't there some spar between Itagaki and Randy Boy Jr. where RBJ was winning? If not Itagaki who was that spar with?
RBJ destroyed Itagaki because he had no idea what his gimmick was and was taken completely by surprise.

In the match he just had Itagaki's bullet-time power suddenly got completely ridiculous.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Serious Frolicking posted:

Itagaki vs. Goku.

vs superman

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Ippo would beat Itagaki. He better be able to.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/878/

Black people show that high level boxing.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Oh, well at least people were wrong about those spoilers. It's Ippo who gets told to trade shots, which actually makes sense.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

No it's 879 where Woli is told to trade shots.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Sindai posted:

Oh, well at least people were wrong about those spoilers. It's Ippo who gets told to trade shots, which actually makes sense.

Infinitum posted:

No it's 879 where Woli is told to trade shots.

Really, you should know better than to have misplaced optimism at this point.

Niklas Kronwall 2.0
May 15, 2009

goodvisiontoucan posted:

Ippo would beat Itagaki. He better be able to.

Ippo and Itagaki do spar at one point, and Ippo gets his rear end handed to him but then it's hinted that he smokes Itagaki.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Niklas Kronwall 2.0 posted:

Ippo and Itagaki do spar at one point, and Ippo gets his rear end handed to him but then it's hinted that he smokes Itagaki.

Man, Ippo got so drat high from that. Smoking dat poo poo'll gently caress you up, but in a good way. Unless you mean a different kind of smoking, which is certainly possible given Ippo's gynophobia.

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump
So the highlight of this chapter is that Ippo blocked a punch?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

He also remember that in his third fight he was a boxer, so he should probably start hitting things now.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
New Chapter http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/879/

And it ends with a bullshit cliffhanger punch thats not gonna land

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The expressions in the last page...

I hate this fight so much..

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Infinitum posted:

The expressions in the last page...

I hate this fight so much..

Last page with tiny sticklike Ippo arms and great expressions, a beautiful page. Can we start getting 2-page spreads of Woli up in this, maybe make his hair flow a little more like Griffith to go with it?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'm surprised Ippo hasn't succumbed to brain damage yet, took Rocky 5 movies but Ippo has gotten way more beatings, or maybe he already has....

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Rocky had something like 60 fights before the first movie.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Sure but Rocky never used Simpson's patented "just keep takin it" technique until fighting Mr. T; unlike Ippo.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

Honest Thief posted:

I'm surprised Ippo hasn't succumbed to brain damage yet, took Rocky 5 movies but Ippo has gotten way more beatings, or maybe he already has....

JAPAN IS SUPERIOR.

Big L
Oct 30, 2005

Fedora Emelianenko
I know I'm pretty delusional at this point but please hit him please hit him please hit him :cry:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I want it to be like when he hit that "haha I have abs of steel" guy in the body and he thought half his torso was blown off, only for real.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
This fight sucks. This is awful.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Remember that Martinez is the best and doesn't use any gimmicks?

Well, gently caress this Jungle Book boxing poo poo. I hope Ippo beats him fast becaise the less chapters of this left, the better.

Next opponent: A Native-American boxer who is fighting to protect his tribe! He has been training by knocking out charging buffaloes (The Tatanka straight!). He also has a spirit second that coaches him mid-fight.

Shaolin Monk Boxer!

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
There is no way it's going to end in round 4. This is going to make the Randy Boy Jr fight look snappy; it's going to have Woli zwee-fight behind Ippo with his mystical racist monkey-man powers for 20 more chapters before Ippo suddenly remembers how to hit things by his fractured skull and closeted love for Miyata and NIPPONESE SAMURAI SPIRITO

then Ippo will slip on a banana peel in the gym and not hold hands with Token Love Interest and prepare to fight a challenger with a mysterious forbidden boxing technique!!!!!!!!!! WILL DEVILISH DARK SKINNED FOREIGNER MAGIC BEAT IPPO'S PURE WILLPOWER? no

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007
That sucked, but now I'm pretty sure this fight will end with Ippo unveiling his new Dempsey roll. Woli's coach told him to stop doing his stupid god-mode monkey-time defense crap and go on the offense, meaning he can't do both at the same time. Offense + Defense at the same time is Ippo's specialty.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Squinty posted:

Offense + Defense at the same time is Ippo's specialty.

Getting hit in the face is Ippo's specialty.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

trucutru posted:

Next opponent: A Native-American boxer who is fighting to protect his tribe! He has been training by knocking out charging buffaloes (The Tatanka straight!). He also has a spirit second that coaches him mid-fight.

This actually sounds like something Mori would do at this point :smith: There's no way in hell Ippo will hit him. Dunno what crap Woli will do, but it won't work. I can't think of the last time a situation like this came up and the next chapter came up with Ippo hitting the dude. It always has happened midways or nearing the end of the chapter. The pacing seems proper for a god-mode twist and Mori going "DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING, DID YA?? :buddy:"

Lil Jon Galt
May 22, 2002

IS A MAN NOT ENTITLED TO THE SWEAT DROP DOWN MY BALLS?
I really appreciate the author's taking away any hope of a decent ending by recycling a plot that was garbage to begin with

what a satisfying read this fight has been

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

This chapter is mostly unsatisfying because it ends with the potential for a career-ending punch, which everyone wants, but it's not going to happen.

7thLevelOfYar
Sep 30, 2003
You will be judged harshly.
As Woli blocks the left body blow, Ippo's right hand arcs down from overhead and caves his face in with a WHITE FANG AND HE SCREAMS gently caress YOU I CAN STEAL MOVES TOO

Positronbob
Jul 5, 2007
Right through the pants

7thLevelOfYar posted:

As Woli blocks the left body blow, Ippo's right hand arcs down from overhead and caves his face in with a WHITE FANG AND HE SCREAMS gently caress YOU I CAN STEAL MOVES TOO

Arrrrgh! That's not gonna happen. Would be so loving good, though. Way to get me pumped.

This body blow is obviously not going to hit. But Woli has already shown that he can't take a punch from Ippo due to his arm being almost disabled just from blocking one.

When it comes it had better be a spread, put it that way.

I Know the Answer to That
Jan 26, 2005
I'm a caring potato.

7thLevelOfYar posted:

oh please god let this happen

please

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Ippo has been getting tagged [hot] on onemanga recently - I feel bad for the people who've never read the manga before that see the most recent release tagged that and click to satisfy their curiousity, only to be subject to chapter after chapter of smug vs. idiot

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them never give it a chance past that, as this fight is a terrible example of the quality of the manga as a whole

Yet, I'm happy for them at the same time. Following a story for 850+ chapters only to have it deteriorate in quality over the last couple of years, the end nowhere near in sight, is a reading experience no one should ever be subject to

I mean, at least Captain Tsubasa retitles the series every time the protagonist conquers a significant milestone - at this point a timeskip ending where Ippo's the former world champion who beat Miyata and married Kumi (with no explanation of how either event happened) would be better than the alternative, i.e. a series of progressively more ludicrous gimmick fights, five times a year

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Pshhh, everyone knows Ippo's just gonna get punched around for another ten chapters or so until Woli gets freaked out by his tenacity, so then Woli makes a mistake, Ippo lands one punch and *KAPOW* they're suddenly equally hurt.

Then another five chapters of the deep, deep of determination of Ippo, then 3 chapters of Woli seeming like he's gonna pull it out, then another two chapters to set up the two page spread of Ippo mutilating Woli.

Then they become bosom buddies, funny scene about Ippo's penis, annnnnd back to training.

(Don't get me wrong, I'm still gonna read it all. But still...)

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Someone awhile back mentioned that Woli appeared on a cover with Gedo and Jimmy Sisfa, implying that Ippo would have to beat them to move on to the next stage in his career. At the end of the first fight (against Sisfa), Takamura referred to an improved Dempsey Roll and implies that it'll give Ippo a spot on the world stage (well, that's what I took from it, anyways).

Maybe these fights will end with Ippo beating Woli, the genius, backed up by the coach's old enemy, by perfecting the Dempsey Roll and allowing him to move on.

Maybe. :ohdear:

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I think it was me who mentioned that. Here's the cover by the way. I think it's from well before the Gedo fight but I'm not sure.

http://i43.tinypic.com/16trb9.jpg

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

pnumoman posted:

Pshhh, everyone knows Ippo's just gonna get punched around for another ten chapters or so until Woli gets freaked out by his tenacity, so then Woli makes a mistake, Ippo lands one punch and *KAPOW* they're suddenly equally hurt.

Then another five chapters of the deep, deep of determination of Ippo, then 3 chapters of Woli seeming like he's gonna pull it out, then another two chapters to set up the two page spread of Ippo mutilating Woli.

Then they become bosom buddies, funny scene about Ippo's penis, annnnnd back to training.

(Don't get me wrong, I'm still gonna read it all. But still...)

I hate that you're right. :sigh:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
Ippo wins by headbutting Woli's fist hard enough to break it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007
Since Ippo is kind of modeled after Mike Tyson, you guys should have expected this decline all along. Soon the Coach will die and a money hungry person with tall hair will take over managing Ippo, and the decline will begin in earnest.