Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loztblaz
Sep 8, 2004
1-14-04, Never Forget.

A Duck! posted:

Communists, all of you.

To each according to his needs. :colbert: I use the numpad a lot, basically for anything longer than two numbers. I would have considered getting a separate USB keypad and a tenkeyless majestouch if they had the keypad in stock when I ordered, but my previous keyboard was a G15 so even a fullsize board is a welcome change. I am so glad to stop using that giant creaky mushy piece of poo poo.

My second choice keyboard was a Deck Legend due to the backlighting and their warranty, but with this board I never find myself needing to glance down at the keys. Deck's warranty is great, 30 days no questions asked return policy and their standard warranty covers modding.

I'm a full on Filco fanboy now though, I've already convinced two friends to buy them after they tried mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sotorious
Dec 23, 2009

Loztblaz posted:

To each according to his needs. :colbert: I use the numpad a lot, basically for anything longer than two numbers. I would have considered getting a separate USB keypad and a tenkeyless majestouch if they had the keypad in stock when I ordered, but my previous keyboard was a G15 so even a fullsize board is a welcome change. I am so glad to stop using that giant creaky mushy piece of poo poo.

My second choice keyboard was a Deck Legend due to the backlighting and their warranty, but with this board I never find myself needing to glance down at the keys. Deck's warranty is great, 30 days no questions asked return policy and their standard warranty covers modding.

I'm a full on Filco fanboy now though, I've already convinced two friends to buy them after they tried mine.

I'm coming over to give your keyboard a few strokes..... no homo.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

An update on this guy:

I'm using it right now and I have to say it's a worthwhile purchase. It is by no means the highest quality keyboard ever, the keys are a bit mushy and the trackball skips when you move it too fast. That said, it does suit my purposes exactly.

Shintaro is an Australian-based brand so I don't know how non-Australians could get a hold of one, however they're a rebrander of generic OEM stuff so it's likely that you could find the same product under a different brand name where you live.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

SwissCM posted:

Shintaro is an Australian-based brand so I don't know how non-Australians could get a hold of one, however they're a rebrander of generic OEM stuff so it's likely that you could find the same product under a different brand name where you live.

Like here for example. :)

Thanks for the review, this will probably be my next HTPC keyboard.

This Chicony 9820 (the black one) has served me very well for years, but it looks like ps/2 ports are finally disappearing and besides this thing eats batteries like crazy.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Bagarthach posted:

Like here for example. :)
Yup, even appears to ship with the same batteries :) Oddly enough mine was a little cheaper at AU$70.

Bagarthach posted:

This Chicony 9820 (the black one) has served me very well for years, but it looks like ps/2 ports are finally disappearing and besides this thing eats batteries like crazy.

Judging by reviews online I hear good things about the battery life of these keyboards, the 3 month battery life indicated in the specs appears to be an accurate estimate.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
So I've had a Razer Lycosa for just over a year now, and I like it, but...

Yesterday, when I was playing Team Fortress 2 suddenly the A key just stopped working.

I pulled off the A key and tried pushing on the little... plastic piece underneath it. I did it with the next key over and it registered fine, but the A key didn't register at all.

Has anyone else had this problem? Some quick googling shows that it seems that some people have had similar problems, but it sounds more like people have problems when they JUST get the keyboard with keys not registering when they hit them, and nothing as "permanent" as this.

Should I contact Razer about it?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I just discovered the Filco keyboard, the black one with blank keys and no numberpad. I want to buy one right now. I've always wanted a keyboard without a numberpad.

Wish they made it with backlit keys though.

bloodynose posted:

Why would you have blank keys and backlit?

I basically just mentioned the blank keys to describe the keyboard I was talking about, not because it was a feature I felt positively or negatively about. I guess, now that I think about it, blank keys with backlit symbols would be cool though. I don't exactly need the the key to have the symbol on it to know what buttons I'm pressing because I learned to touch type a while ago, but it would be cool to have the backlighting just so I wouldn't have to fumble around and find the anchor keys when my computer room is dark.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 4, 2010

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

GreatGreen posted:

I just discovered the Filco keyboard, the black one with blank keys and no numberpad. I want to buy one right now. I've always wanted a keyboard without a numberpad.

Wish they made it with backlit keys though.

Why would you have blank keys and backlit?

Edit: If you wanted something similar but backlit, Deck makes backlit mechanical keyboards. They use Cherry MX "Clears" in the tactical variety, which are close to the browns in the tactile Filcos.

NickPancakes fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 4, 2010

xevz
Jul 16, 2005
Mjew.

bloodynose posted:

One of the GeekHack dudes has been working on his own keyboard design for a while now. If this thing ever gets produced, its going to be amazing. http://www.guru-board.com/

If a bluetooth version is ever made, I will so buy one for HTPC use. :dance:

RichestManInTown
May 1, 2004

People I meet keep getting torn into pieces.

ChewyLSB posted:

It can't hurt. I had a Lycosa and the media touchpad died on me. Their RMA process is a bit of a pain in the rear end, since they require you to provide a copy of your receipt, but once I jumped through all their hoops they sent me new one. Never use it though. I got my Filco Linear for gaming and day-to-day and a HHKB Pro2 for typing.

Edit: Also, it's been a while since I've done anything to the OP. Is there anything people think should be added/deleted/revised?

RichestManInTown fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 6, 2010

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

I just recently got a filco n-key with blue cherrys, and the LEDs on it are dim green ones. It seems they've listened to the main complaint and fixed it.
I'm getting use to the clicking but I still sometimes think the browns would have been better. On the plus side, n-key works as advertised and I can press as many keys as I want and have them all register (over PS/2).

I hate using other keyboards now.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Ok, I've looked all over google, and I can't seem to find any official Filco keyboard website or even vendors that sell them for American dollars. What gives?

And I have no idea what the differences between all the models and key types are. Is there one comprehensive website that explains all this... and maybe lists the prices and has an order form on site as well?

VVVV Thanks for the links! I think I'm going to go for one of the number pad-less Filco keyboards. Should be nice.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jan 6, 2010

sotorious
Dec 23, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

Ok, I've looked all over google, and I can't seem to find any official Filco keyboard website or even vendors that sell them for American dollars. What gives?

And I have no idea what the differences between all the models and key types are. Is there one comprehensive website that explains all this... and maybe lists the prices and has an order form on site as well?

http://www.overclock.net/computer-peripherals/491752-mechanical-keyboard-guide.html

This is a link pretty much breaking it down, and the types of mechanical keyboards they have, If you want to give that a brief run threw.

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?lang=en

This is where they have filco, and i think where a lot of people order from, i have yet to build up the courage to order one but i feel it coming... coming real sooooon...

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Ok, so I've read up on these mechanical keyboards and they sound pretty cool. Now, however, I've been made aware of the three different types of keys (Cherry Blues, Browns, and Blacks) and have no idea which kind I'd like more.

I've ruled out the Cherry Blue keys because I'm not a fan of keys with a super light feel, and all the late night typing I do would probably wake up MY GIRLFRIEND if the keys were clicky.

That leaves Cherry Brown and Black. From what I understand, they're pretty similar, except the Browns have a tiny bump in their travel for tactile feedback, while the Blacks have zero tactile feedback, so they travel completely smoothly all the way down, and they're a little stiffer than the Browns. What this means is that the Browns tend to be a little better for typing and the Blacks tend to be a little better for gaming. I do a lot of both. Hmm, what to do what to do.

Whatever keys I get though, I'll probably go for a Filco keyboard without the numberpad, with the red escape key and purple WASD keys. It's all kinds of nerd-awesome.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 6, 2010

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

Ok, so I've read up on these mechanical keyboards and they sound pretty cool. Now, however, I've been made aware of the three different types of keys (Cherry Blues, Browns, and Blacks) and have no idea which kind I'd like more.

I've ruled out the Cherry Blue keys because I'm not a fan of keys with a super light feel, and all the late night typing I do would probably wake up MY GIRLFRIEND if the keys were clicky.

That leaves Cherry Brown and Black. From what I understand, they're pretty similar, except the Browns have a tiny bump in their travel for tactile feedback, while the Blacks have zero tactile feedback, so they travel completely smoothly all the way down, and they're a little stiffer than the Browns. What this means is that the Browns tend to be a little better for typing and the Blacks tend to be a little better for gaming. I do a lot of both. Hmm, what to do what to do.

Whatever keys I get though, I'll probably go for a Filco keyboard without the numberpad, with the red escape key and purple WASD keys. It's all kinds of nerd-awesome.

Browns are lighter than blues, blues are only "super light" in comparison to buckling spring. Blacks shouldn't even count as mechanical, the tactile feel is the main reason to go mechanical over rubber dome. And why would they be better for gaming, looks to me that browns are more popular for gaming because of the lighter activation force, you don't want to have to strain your fingers when gaming.

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Cherry+switches+and+boards#Range+of+MX+switches+by+stem+colour

The cN measurement next to the keys is the activation force required.

Go blues if you like noise and browns if you don't, do not go blacks for your first mechanical keyboard. Don't worry about "light feel" if you're coming from rubber dome.

edit: VV - Glad I could help, haha.

NickPancakes fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 6, 2010

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Alright then. Looks like I'm getting a Filco keyboard, sans number pad, with Brown Cherry MX keys!

Now to decide whether to get the standard or blank version. :(

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

ChewyLSB posted:

So I've had a Razer Lycosa for just over a year now, and I like it, but...

Yesterday, when I was playing Team Fortress 2 suddenly the A key just stopped working.

I pulled off the A key and tried pushing on the little... plastic piece underneath it. I did it with the next key over and it registered fine, but the A key didn't register at all.

Has anyone else had this problem? Some quick googling shows that it seems that some people have had similar problems, but it sounds more like people have problems when they JUST get the keyboard with keys not registering when they hit them, and nothing as "permanent" as this.

Have you tried restarting yet? I've had that happen 2-3 times in the year or two I've owned my lycosa and it always fixed it.

very
Jan 25, 2005

I err on the side of handsome.

Charun posted:

I just recently got a filco n-key with blue cherrys, and the LEDs on it are dim green ones. It seems they've listened to the main complaint and fixed it.
I'm getting use to the clicking but I still sometimes think the browns would have been better. On the plus side, n-key works as advertised and I can press as many keys as I want and have them all register (over PS/2).

I hate using other keyboards now.

I think blue cherries come with the green LEDs, and browns come with the BLUUUE LEDS.

very
Jan 25, 2005

I err on the side of handsome.

GreatGreen posted:

Alright then. Looks like I'm getting a Filco keyboard, sans number pad, with Brown Cherry MX keys!

I got blank keys for work (so people don't want to mess with my machine, not that I leave it unlocked anyway), but I'd rather have labels for home/play as to not alienate visitors.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
Has anyone here used the Razer Lycosa drivers a lot? I was trying to change all my keys to Dvorak, so that I could switch keyboard layouts with Razer's driver manager instead of with Windows language settings, but...

It doesn't seem to me like you can get the keyboard to remap a key to completely mimic a completely different key. What I mean by this is that you can't get the Razer drivers to mimic a keypress down when you push the key down and a key press up when you let go of the key. The best I've been able to do is to have the key mimic key downs and key ups continuously while I hold the key down which obviously isn't the same thing at all.

I feel like I'm explaining this badly...

Basically, has anyone tried using the Razer drivers to do ANYTHING similar to this?

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!

Plan B posted:

I've been looking for a wireless keyboard like this one to use for gaming. Tell me, is there any keystroke lag at all due to being wireless? And does it take enough simultaneous keypresses to do, for example, a run-strafe-duckjump (W+D+ctrl+space)?

I've had this keyboard for a while now, and can confirm it has problems with multiple keys pressed at the same time. In Day of Defeat: Source this is evident when you attempt to walk-duck-prone (in that order). You have to release the duck button before pressing prone (releasing duck won't trigger prone if all 3 have already been pressed).

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
Shopping around for a new keyboard is a nightmare. All of them seem to suck in their own unique ways. I used a Saitek Eclipse 2 for like 3 years and I'm tired of it and it's sticky-ish keys and it's habit of getting dirty.

-The G11 is cool but has no screen.
-The G15 V1 is mostly perfect but is impossible to find.
-The G15 V2 is mostly perfect but is a stupid orange color that does not match with all the black and blue stuff I have around. The screen is also smaller for no apparent reason.
-The Lycosa is the ultimate keyboard for style but it seems unreliable and fragile and reviews are generally bad.
-I don't like the design on the Tarantula
-The G19 is too expensive.

Basically I want a G15 V1 without a billion worthless macros, but if I can find one I'd deal with it. Anyone know of a place where to purchase a V1 G15 new?

Athropos fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 8, 2010

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

GreatGreen posted:

I just ordered this exact keyboard with blank key caps. It will hopefully be here in a few days and ill post a quick appraisal.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

ChewyLSB posted:

Has anyone here used the Razer Lycosa drivers a lot? I was trying to change all my keys to Dvorak, so that I could switch keyboard layouts with Razer's driver manager instead of with Windows language settings, but...

It doesn't seem to me like you can get the keyboard to remap a key to completely mimic a completely different key. What I mean by this is that you can't get the Razer drivers to mimic a keypress down when you push the key down and a key press up when you let go of the key. The best I've been able to do is to have the key mimic key downs and key ups continuously while I hold the key down which obviously isn't the same thing at all.

I feel like I'm explaining this badly...

Basically, has anyone tried using the Razer drivers to do ANYTHING similar to this?

The macro system for the lycosa is really lacking. However; in my search to rebind my capslock key I found a program that could suit your purposes quite nicely and more elegantly: Sharpkeys

Typh
Apr 18, 2003

LAY EGG IS TRUE!!!
Hmmm, I might be looking to ditch my HHKB Pro 2 for a Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Tactile Touch "Otaku". The lack of arrow keys end up being a pain in the rear end when I'm using a program that depends on them a lot, and the Otaku looks like the best of both worlds. drat.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Typh posted:

Hmmm, I might be looking to ditch my HHKB Pro 2 for a Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Tactile Touch "Otaku". The lack of arrow keys end up being a pain in the rear end when I'm using a program that depends on them a lot, and the Otaku looks like the best of both worlds. drat.

God drat that is one sexy keyboard. Does anyone know how these compare to the HHKB Pro?

I am trying to find a modern equivalent to the Model M I used to use. Does not have to be noisy, just has to have the tactile feedback. If this is will feel like my Model M, I'll just pick this up.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Bonobos posted:

God drat that is one sexy keyboard. Does anyone know how these compare to the HHKB Pro?

I am trying to find a modern equivalent to the Model M I used to use. Does not have to be noisy, just has to have the tactile feedback. If this is will feel like my Model M, I'll just pick this up.

It does not. The tactile feel is very slight, and if you like typing on a Model M, it will smack the bottom every time. I like my cherry browns because the activation is so light, I'm pretty much just focusing on not touching the bottom, and waving my fingers up and down. You get a little bit of feedback, but you really have to focus to notice.

Typh
Apr 18, 2003

LAY EGG IS TRUE!!!

Bonobos posted:

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=7746

This thread talks about the differences. Looks like they are essentially the same, and neither compares to the feedback of a Model M.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Typh posted:

I'd be happy to take your HHKB P2 off you... been wanting to try it.

Typh
Apr 18, 2003

LAY EGG IS TRUE!!!

headcase posted:

I'd be happy to take your HHKB P2 off you... been wanting to try it.
I'll let you know if I decide to switch. I wish I had a way to try out the cherry browns/blues.

Typh fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 8, 2010

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

We have a bunch of Filco Browns/Blues at work, I like the Filco tenkeyless much more than a Das or any other normal keyboard.

I like the Topre keys in the HHKB/Realforce more than Cherries myself, but it's completely subjective. I hear you about the key layout, going from a HHKB Lite 2 with the arrow keys to the Pro 2 was a bit of a learning curve.

There's a dip switch on the back that let's you turn the left <> into another Fn key, which really helped me get used to the HHKB Pro 2's arrow keys. I'm as fast with them now as I am on a normal keyboard.

I can't take pictures at work of all our Filcos for comparison unfortunately, but the size difference even on the tenkeyless is pretty funny once you get used to the tiny tiny HHKB.

I almost bought the 86 key Realforce the other day, but ended up getting another HHKB Pro 2 after deciding I didn't need dedicated arrow keys as much as I thought.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Bonobos posted:

If you want a Model M, they are still being made, new today. Complete with things like w/ or w/o Windows keys, TrackPoint, USB, black, etc.

http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/keyboards.html

What the hell are you guys doing not pimping Unicomp who owns the design and manufacturing rights to the Model M, complete with the original IBM tooling?!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

EnergizerFellow posted:

If you want a Model M, they are still being made, new today. Complete with things like w/ or w/o Windows keys, TrackPoint, USB, etc.

What the hell are you guys doing not pimping Unicomp who owns the design and manufacturing rights to the Model M, complete with the original IBM tooling?!

I just bought 2 of them and they are exactly like my super old Model M. The plastic is even textured in the same way. The buckling springs feel and sound EXACTLY like they should as well. Overall for 70 bux it is a bargin. The original M's cost around $120 back in the early 80s.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

EnergizerFellow posted:

If you want a Model M, they are still being made, new today. Complete with things like w/ or w/o Windows keys, TrackPoint, USB, black, etc.

I love the feel on those old keyboards, but they just look so dated, compared to the Filcos. Is there any similar feeling keybaords that look more modern? From what I read on this thread so far, I think blue cherry keyboards will feel most like the Model M, so maybe the Filco with blue cherries is the way to go?

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Bonobos posted:

I love the feel on those old keyboards, but they just look so dated, compared to the Filcos. Is there any similar feeling keybaords that look more modern? From what I read on this thread so far, I think blue cherry keyboards will feel most like the Model M, so maybe the Filco with blue cherries is the way to go?

From what I've read, people with all of their experience on rubber domes will feel better on browns. People that want to move on from buckling springs to a lighter (but plasticy) touch will appreciate blues.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

headcase posted:

From what I've read, people with all of their experience on rubber domes will feel better on browns. People that want to move on from buckling springs to a lighter (but plasticy) touch will appreciate blues.

I'm stepping down from a Unicomp after years of a Model M, and I ordered the Filco with blue switches. I'll post a trip report when it arrives.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Bonobos posted:

Nothing, AFAIK, is as heavy as the Unicomp/IBM Model M, which has a key press activation weight of ~70g. The RealForce is available in a 55g version (regular is a mix of 35/45/55g). The Cherry MX Blues weigh in at ~45g, IIRC.

As for looks, retro is in, right? :c00l: ;)

Twiin posted:

I'm stepping down from a Unicomp after years of a Model M, and I ordered the Filco with blue switches. I'll post a trip report when it arrives.
Sounds like a plan. Let us know.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

EnergizerFellow posted:

Nothing, AFAIK, is as heavy as the Unicomp/IBM Model M, which has a key press activation weight of ~70g. The RealForce is available in a 55g version (regular is a mix of 35/45/55g). The Cherry MX Blues weigh in at ~45g, IIRC.

What I'd really like Filco to do is make some boards with Cherry "Clears" (Which are actually white stemmed, but there was already a White I guess).
They are the same sort of feel as the Browns, but require more force than the blues. Deck makes some boards with them, but Deck boards are big and have an awful font. Gimmie a Majestouch Tenkeyless Otaku Clear plez Filco.

Edit: Apparently, if you happen to have a ton of cherry switches lying around like some of the GeekHack guys, you can hack together your own Clears. Take a Brown stem, and swap the Spring with a Black. Brown Stem + Black Spring = Cherry Clear, Black Stem + Brown Spring = Cherry Red.

NickPancakes fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 8, 2010

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

Some people were asking me for a size comparison of the HHKB/Tenkeyless Filco/Realforce, so here's some lovely cell phone pictures of the one I just got in.

Fresh from glorious nippon~~

If you want 'Much better Operational Performance' or 'Good feeling of oneness with cup rubber', this is the keyboard for you friends.

Next to a generic membrane 104 key.

Here's the key layout if you've ordered one without key cap lettering, then promptly forgot where a key is like me.

I'll borrow a Filco 87 key from work on Monday if anyone wants to see one of those.

Yeah it's small, but you get used to the function keys for the arrows or page up/whatever really fast. Getting used to more VI-style 'never leave home row' coding has done wonders for my wrists at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey, just making sure you know: you are a retard if you actually buy a keyboard with no labels on the keys.

• Locked thread