Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Casao posted:

Why? It still pops up if you hit . or / so why does it matter if it's a bar or not?
I'm not sure i remember this right as i only played with it for a while, but i think it pushes the whole page down when it appears instead of just blending over. I might be wrong though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Mithaldu posted:

I'm not sure i remember this right as i only played with it for a while, but i think it pushes the whole page down when it appears instead of just blending over. I might be wrong though.

I just double checked and indeed it did. But I prefer the other functionality it adds over the dialog box.

Been using the latest alpha on my netbook for hours now with no crash or instability. Very nice.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
I seem to be getting some kind of weird problem whereby SomethingAwful Forum threads load only the banner ad at the top of the screen followed by the little copyright notice at the bottom of the page and that is all. I believe it's been limited to the 10.5 pre-alpha (as in, I haven't seen this in any other browser or Opera version). Anybody else getting this?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sergeant Hobo posted:

I seem to be getting some kind of weird problem whereby SomethingAwful Forum threads load only the banner ad at the top of the screen followed by the little copyright notice at the bottom of the page and that is all. I believe it's been limited to the 10.5 pre-alpha (as in, I haven't seen this in any other browser or Opera version). Anybody else getting this?

Is it only happening in Cinema Discusso? If so, there's a thread in QCS about it.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I've had it happen with this version of Opera:

quote:

Version 10.10
Build 1893
Platform Win32

Specifically in the "Gantz" and "Akumetsu" threads in the anime forum.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

sm8000 posted:

Is it only happening in Cinema Discusso? If so, there's a thread in QCS about it.
it happens in a few other subforums and I've had it happen in pre-alpha and non

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

sm8000 posted:

I found that thread and marked it. Glad to know someone's aware of it and looking into it. But yeah, this has happened in SH/SC, Games, TV IV and even Ask/Tell, if I remember correctly.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
In the new pre-alpha, is there a way to turn on middle click scroll? (Windows) I can't really do without it, and it seems the only thing in the way of loving the new build.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Casao posted:

Why? It still pops up if you hit . or / so why does it matter if it's a bar or not?

The old inline Find was amazingly efficient. It worked as you typed in so you could continue to narrow your search and see the first hit automatically (and if you're a bad typist you know when you've fat fingered a letter). It also worked without any other keystrokes, just hit your hotkey then start typing your word and the page automatically went to the first result. And the whole thing worked out of an unobtrusive popup.

In the new Find, it's cumbersome and less efficient. It doesn't start working automatically, you either have to mouse over to the down arrow or press F3 before the Find bar autohides itself. The screen adjusts itself when pressing it as well which seems totally unnecessary with a big Find Bar that has a lot of dead space. And it's harder to read the text onscreen with the greying out so you can't keep things "found" and read the relevant paragraphs as nicely.

I'd be fine with the new Find Bar if it had more features (like choosing Greying or non-Greying and maybe an option to Find As You Type) and if they also had the old streamlined Inline Find.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Ape Agitator posted:

In the new Find, it's cumbersome and less efficient. It doesn't start working automatically, you either have to mouse over to the down arrow or press F3 before the Find bar autohides itself. The screen adjusts itself when pressing it as well which seems totally unnecessary with a big Find Bar that has a lot of dead space. And it's harder to read the text onscreen with the greying out so you can't keep things "found" and read the relevant paragraphs as nicely.

Uh, it definitely still works automatically and as you type. Are you on Linux or OSX or something? Cause I just tested it and it works automatically, and with spiffy dim and highlights to make it immediately obvious where it is.

I'll give you that the find bar is a bit big and pushing down could potentially be the slightest bit annoying, but the ease of being able to change from search text to search whole words/links, as well as an easy up/down and case matching, is definitely worth it to me.

As far as the dimming goes, I have absolutely no issue reading through it, but if you click, it dismisses the dimming and hitting f3 will bring it back up with the same section highlighted.

Basically, it retains all of the functionality of the old system, while adding more.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Opera appoints Lars Boilesen new Chief Executive Officer

The Press Release posted:

Opera Software today announced that Lars Boilesen (42) has been named the company's new Chief Executive Officer, effective immediately. He succeeds Jon S. von Tetzchner, who co-founded the company in 1995 and has served as Chief Executive Officer since that time. Jon von Tetzchner will continue to serve Opera full-time in a strategic and independent capacity.

"Lars Boilesen brings both a very significant industry experience and a deep understanding of Opera to the role as the company's Chief Executive Officer. In short, Opera's spirit runs through his veins," says Jon von Tetzchner. "My decision to assume a new role in Opera is based on a lengthy consideration process. As outgoing Chief Executive, I leave confident in the company's continued leadership in key markets, our strong management team, our ongoing commitment to innovation, and our robust financial foundation."

Boilesen is a recognized business leader with more than 20 years of international management and sales/marketing experience from companies such as Alcatel-Lucent, Tandberg Data, Lego and Opera Software. Boilesen previously worked for Opera from 2000 to 2005 as Executive Vice President, Sales. During the company's formative years, Boilesen played a crucial role in transforming Opera from a desktop browser vendor into a leader in cross-platform browsing. In 2005, Boilesen joined Alcatel-Lucent as CEO of the Nordics and the Baltics. Prior to re-joining Opera in January 2009 as Chief Commercial Officer, Boilesen served on Opera Software’s Board of Directors as Vice Chairman.

"I was very happy about convincing Lars to come back to Opera one year ago. Today, I am very excited about asking him to take over as CEO as we continue our growth and global expansion. We have worked closely together for many years and I am certain that he is the right person to lead Opera into a very bright future," said Jon von Tetzchner.

"I am impressed with what Opera has achieved under Jon’s leadership," says Lars Boilesen. "We provide browser technology not only to nearly 100 million consumers worldwide, but also to the major players in the industry: Vodafone, T-Mobile, Nintendo, KDDI, SKT, Nokia, Samsung, Toshiba and Sony Ericsson to name but a few. Our focus going forward is to execute on our current strategy and continue to deliver the best browser experience to the breadth of our customer and user base."

Lars Boilesen has extensive sales and business development experience from the global IT and telecommunications industries. He has held executive positions in various corporations including Alcatel-Lucent where he was CEO for the Nordics and the Baltics. He has previously served at Opera Software where he was Executive Vice President of Sales and Marketing, from 2000 to 2005. Prior to that, Lars headed the Northern Europe and Asia Pacific markets for Tandberg Data. He started his career at Lego Group.

So this new guy went from being VP of Sales/Marketing to CEO. I'm hoping this means that he'll try to expose more people to Opera, hopefully through an advertising campaign and/or getting Opera put on computers made by big name OEMs. Here's hoping.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp
I've been running the 10.5 alpha since the weekend now, and I'm really impressed with the speed. I encountered fewer problems (and no crashes to date) than I have with many 'final' versions of other software, to the point that it's easy to forget I'm running an alpha version at all.

The integration with Aero and Windows 7 features such as speed dial sites appearing on the taskbar jump list are nice touches. I never hated the earlier default themes as much as some, but having a proper Aero UI is a welcome change.

With a bit of fiddling around with menu layout I managed to get Opera spartan enough to suit my tastes:

Click here for the full 917x750 image.

If only there were a 'new tab' mouse gesture so I could kill off that button too.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

golden_appel posted:

If only there were a 'new tab' mouse gesture so I could kill off that button too.
Does "rightclick -> pull down" not work?

Sergeant Hobo posted:

Opera appoints Lars Boilesen new Chief Executive Officer

So this new guy went from being VP of Sales/Marketing to CEO. I'm hoping this means that he'll try to expose more people to Opera, hopefully through an advertising campaign and/or getting Opera put on computers made by big name OEMs. Here's hoping.
Maybe he'll actually swim across an ocean.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...
Is there any way to stop opera tabs from showing up as separate windows in aero peek? I routinely keep 2-3 different windows open with different sets of tabs in each, and its very confusing to see 20+ tabs open all at once.

golden_appel posted:

With a bit of fiddling around with menu layout I managed to get Opera spartan enough to suit my tastes:

Click here for the full 917x750 image.

What made you bring back the title bar? also, how did you get transparency in the tabs like that?

thrawn86 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 5, 2010

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

Mithaldu posted:

Does "rightclick -> pull down" not work?

Heh, all this time and I never knew that one. I think I learnt a number of gestures ages ago and never expanded my knowledge since. Guess I'll have to dig out the list and see what others I've been missing.

thrawn86 posted:

Is there any way to stop opera tabs from showing up as separate windows in aero peek? I routinely keep 2-3 different windows open with different sets of tabs in each, and its very confusing to see 20+ tabs open all at once.

What made you bring back the title bar? also, how did you get transparency in the tabs like that?

Not sure what you mean by 'bring back the title bar'. All windows have a title bar :confused:. As for the tabs, in 10.5 the tabs seem to be transparent by default but it isn't really noticeable unless you set the colour scheme to 'None' in the Appearance dialog.

edit: I haven't found a way to disable Aero Peek within Opera yet, mainly because I don't really want to. One option would be to modify your Opera shortcut to launch in Vista compatibility mode - this will keep the Aero Glass effects but disable the Win 7-specific stuff.

Comfy Chairs fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 6, 2010

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

golden_appel posted:

Heh, all this time and I never knew that one. I think I learnt a number of gestures ages ago and never expanded my knowledge since. Guess I'll have to dig out the list and see what others I've been missing.

Here's the basic default ones, but you can make your own gestures too. For instance, I have "Left Right" fill in any login fields, and "Up" copy a URL to the clipboard, if the cursor is over a link.

Mouse gestures rock. :c00lbert:

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

golden_appel posted:

Not sure what you mean by 'bring back the title bar'. All windows have a title bar :confused:. As for the tabs, in 10.5 the tabs seem to be transparent by default but it isn't really noticeable unless you set the colour scheme to 'None' in the Appearance dialog.

edit: I haven't found a way to disable Aero Peek within Opera yet, mainly because I don't really want to. One option would be to modify your Opera shortcut to launch in Vista compatibility mode - this will keep the Aero Glass effects but disable the Win 7-specific stuff.

mine looks like that, and the little space up top disappears completely when maximized. basically, just like chrome.

edit: vista compatibility mode does the trick, thanks!

thrawn86 fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 6, 2010

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Has anyone else's bookmarklets stopped working?

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Can anyone get to http://sourceforge.net in Opera? I get an error page from the server in Opera but it works fine in IE.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

DuckConference posted:

Can anyone get to http://sourceforge.net in Opera? I get an error page from the server in Opera but it works fine in IE.

Works fine here, sounds more like you might have an overactive Urlfilter.ini.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Casao posted:

I get random sites where that happens for me too, like https://perlgeek.de. Loads fine on my desktop in opera, but not on my laptop. I doubt it's the urlfilter.ini though, as sites blocked by that usually load up blank and immediately.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Casao posted:

The error is being delivered by sourceforge, and it looks like some people have been having the problem with firefox as well.

http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?locale=en-US&comments_parentId=387697&forumId=1

Meiji Mangaka
Jun 30, 2009

by mons al-madeen

Wheany posted:

Has anyone else's bookmarklets stopped working?

How long ago since they used to work? A while back Opera got a little more strict with regards to how it evaluated java script: URLs meaning you more often had to put them in functions or parens or whatever. I think this happened around 10.0 or so though, so if it's a recent problem it may not be that.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Meiji Mangaka posted:

How long ago since they used to work? A while back Opera got a little more strict with regards to how it evaluated java script: URLs meaning you more often had to put them in functions or parens or whatever. I think this happened around 10.0 or so though, so if it's a recent problem it may not be that.

Okay, I just checked, and actually the problem is that all of my bookmarklets have been truncated to 130 characters for some reason. So naturally a script longer than that results a syntax error.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Why am I able to pop up that think to let me move between tabs only sometimes?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

kapalama posted:

Why am I able to pop up that think to let me move between tabs only sometimes?

I believe it's done by pressing and holding right click and using the scroll wheel. I used to do it inadvertently all the time before I realized what I was doing to trigger it.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

krylex posted:

I believe it's done by pressing and holding right click and using the scroll wheel. I used to do it inadvertently all the time before I realized what I was doing to trigger it.

That;s what seemed to make it happen, but it only sometimes happens.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Another 10.5 snapshot build.

Desktop Team Blog posted:

So what do we have for you so far? Well we have upgraded our core rending engine slightly, done a little work on video support, improved certain aspects of performance, improved Windows 7 integration, fixed some mail issues and added support for IMAP COMPRESS, and finally of course, fixed a number of common crashes!

I can see a little more noticeable performance already.

Fake Edit: Forgot to mention. Only Windows builds so far. Mac and UNIX to come later, apparently.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

kapalama posted:

That;s what seemed to make it happen, but it only sometimes happens.
You can also trigger it via Ctrl+Tab.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I set Opera up as the email thing for my father, using Google mail and IMAP. However it shows every single mail twice. Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Sergeant Hobo posted:

Another 10.5 snapshot build.

Seems a lot more unstable to me.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Mithaldu posted:

I set Opera up as the email thing for my father, using Google mail and IMAP. However it shows every single mail twice. Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

Pretty sure that is just because of the way Gmail handles email, having email both in the inbox and the All Mail folder. There is a lab you can setup to setup what folders show in IMAP, that might sort it out if you hide All Mail.

thegreatcodfish fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 18, 2010

the Dealy Lama
Apr 2, 2005
Hail Eris! Hail Eris! Hail Eris!

thegreatcodfish posted:

Pretty sure that is just because of the way Gmail handles email, having email both in the inbox and the All Mail folder. There is a lab you can setup to setup what folders show in IMAP, that might sort it out if you hide All Mail.

In opera's mail panel, right click on the All Mail folder, click properties, uncheck All Mail, done.

GobyWan
Jun 5, 2006
tiny plastic novelty palm trees are all I need
Has anyone on Windows 7/Vista noticed if this version uses native open and save dialogs instead of the legacy XP ones that 10.10 insists on keeping? It's always bugged me that Microsoft finally improved something annoying about Windows and then Opera went ahead and ignored it.

Also, as someone who uses tabs as 'soft bookmarks' and has anywhere from 50 to 200 of them open at a time in 2-5 different windows, I really, really hope there's an option to turn off Aero Peek for individual tabs.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Wheany posted:

Seems a lot more unstable to me.
I made it about halfway through the massive pile of issues posted in the comments and decided to stick with the old build.

GobyWan posted:

Also, as someone who uses tabs as 'soft bookmarks' and has anywhere from 50 to 200 of them open at a time in 2-5 different windows, I really, really hope there's an option to turn off Aero Peek for individual tabs.
Running Opera in Vista compatibility mode should do it.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

GobyWan posted:

Has anyone on Windows 7/Vista noticed if this version uses native open and save dialogs instead of the legacy XP ones that 10.10 insists on keeping? It's always bugged me that Microsoft finally improved something annoying about Windows and then Opera went ahead and ignored it.
Still the XP legacy version.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Just noticed the new look of the in-page search (ie, .keyword). Very cool.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Is the full screen view (f11) broken for anybody else? Looks like parts of the control aren't being redrawn. Might come from Dual-Screens + 1920x1200 resolution.

Should i file some sort of bug report for that? Or do they already know/not care about stuff in pre-alpha?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Is the full screen view (f11) broken for anybody else? Looks like parts of the control aren't being redrawn. Might come from Dual-Screens + 1920x1200 resolution.

Should i file some sort of bug report for that? Or do they already know/not care about stuff in pre-alpha?
I'd report it if it isn't someone everyone experiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I'm also getting that.

Click here for the full 1366x768 image.