Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I didn't find a better thread for this:

Is there an extension for Firefox to block dialogue pop-ups? I hate it when I got to sites that give me "WAIT ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO LEAVE????" message.

In addition, has anyone else noticed websites that don't allow you to use the back button? It seems like any time you go to one of these sites, it redirects you to the same page, so any time you press back you get redirected right back where you were.

I did tons of searching for both of these and found nothing, which is strange because of how annoying they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Got Professional for a pittance with a student discount.

I guess a college education is good for something still. :toot:

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Got Professional for a pittance with a student discount.

I guess a college education is good for something still. :toot:

Yeah, that's how we do. :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: :whatup:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rubiks Pubes posted:

While we're talking about RDP is there any way to enable it in Home Premium? VNC is super slow for some reason and now I'm using logmein as a last resort.

The closest thing to "enabling" it would be throwing money down and upgrading it to Professional. Home Premium can't be server to an RDP session by design, anything that would "activate" it would effectively be a software crack.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Which is a shame because I really want the language feature in Ultimate.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Which is a shame because I really want the language feature in Ultimate.

Why do you want your menus to be in another language? Seriously, it's all it does.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

fishmech posted:

Why do you want your menus to be in another language? Seriously, it's all it does.

Perhaps he's foreign?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm not there yet, but I plan on going full immersion to the extent that I can once I get more proficient in Russian.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

fishmech posted:

English speaker living with international housemates? I know a friend who uses it because his girlfriend is Korean and it's easier for her to use it that way.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
Alright so onto a new fun problem with windows 7. I own a copy of xp but it's installed on an old hard drive i'm not using on this system. ( still have the key and the disc.)

So after installing Win7 and running into the problem of registering it. I thought I could repartition/reformat, install winxp(32 bit), then register win7(64 bit), reformat/partition, and install it.

Sadly my computer seems to get the BSOD during WinXP installation. (No problem installing Win7.)

Should I just do a fresh re-install of Win7 and contact microsoft for a key that works? I suppose I could connect the old hard drive, but I'm not sure if Win7 would recognize the old install with outdated hardware..) Plus it's a pain..

Thoughts/opinions?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Senor P. posted:

So after installing Win7 and running into the problem of registering it.
Going to need more information on this part because it makes no sense. What kind of license? Where did you purchase it from? What is the exact error?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Senor P. posted:

Alright so onto a new fun problem with windows 7. I own a copy of xp but it's installed on an old hard drive i'm not using on this system. ( still have the key and the disc.)

So after installing Win7 and running into the problem of registering it. I thought I could repartition/reformat, install winxp(32 bit), then register win7(64 bit), reformat/partition, and install it.

Sadly my computer seems to get the BSOD during WinXP installation. (No problem installing Win7.)

Should I just do a fresh re-install of Win7 and contact microsoft for a key that works? I suppose I could connect the old hard drive, but I'm not sure if Win7 would recognize the old install with outdated hardware..) Plus it's a pain..

Thoughts/opinions?

edit: Oh, it's 32 to 64 bit, nevermind.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

strwrsxprt posted:

Going to need more information on this part because it makes no sense. What kind of license? Where did you purchase it from? What is the exact error?

I purchased it from the win741.com website. The license was the windows7 home upgrade, for 30 dollars. The error is saying the key isn't good for a full install. (Which I expected.) I thought there might be a place to enter my old winXP(32 bit) key.

The BSOD error from the installation of windows xp on the newer hard drive is the good ol "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" Tried mucking around in BIOS to fix it, didn't. So I dug out my old hard drive, hoping windows7 will recognize the previous xp installation and register.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Senor P. posted:

I purchased it from the win741.com website. The license was the windows7 home upgrade, for 30 dollars. The error is saying the key isn't good for a full install. (Which I expected.) I thought there might be a place to enter my old winXP(32 bit) key.

The BSOD error from the installation of windows xp on the newer hard drive is the good ol "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" Tried mucking around in BIOS to fix it, didn't. So I dug out my old hard drive, hoping windows7 will recognize the previous xp installation and register.

It almost certainly will see the XP installation just fine, as long as basic hard drive/hard drive controller functions are working. After all, it doesn't need to boot your XP install to verify its presence, so its (XP's) driver situation or whatever can be hosed to kingdom come but not affect anything.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Yossarko posted:

I just had an idea.
Jumplist launcher or explorer jumplists (you can pin stuff, remember?)

Eikre
May 2, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Jumplist launcher or explorer jumplists (you can pin stuff, remember?)

yes he does but

Yossarko posted:

I've been wanting to add seperate folder shortcuts to my Superbar

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So it's not going to let me do a straight upgrade but it's saying it will create a folder called "windows old" with essentially a backup of my old files. Will I be able to copy items from that folder after installing or is it read only? Will I be able to get rid of it once I've situated my files?

(it's 64x Vista premium to 64x 7 Professional.)

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

beuges posted:

Springboard

usage: springboard.exe c:\folder\name

source:

code:
#include <windows.h>

int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE, HINSTANCE, LPSTR, int)
{
	int numargs = 0;
	LPWSTR* args = CommandLineToArgvW(GetCommandLine(), &numargs);

if (numargs < 2)
		MessageBox(NULL, L"Please supply a complete folder path as a command line argument", L"Springboard", MB_ICONERROR);
	else
		ShellExecute(NULL, L"explore", args[1], NULL, NULL, SW_SHOWNORMAL);

return 0;
}

Thanks, just tested - works great ! Exactly as imagined.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Will I be able to copy items from that folder after installing or is it read only?

"Read only" precisely means that you'll be able to copy items from that folder. You know...it reads from the folder and writes somewhere else.

Will I be able to get rid of it once I've situated my files?

Yes.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Quick question here - my external hard drive is displaying generic 16-bit 16x16 icons for a lot of .exe files. When I copy them to another drive they display the proper icons appear. I formatted the troublesome hard drive then copied all the stuff back onto it again, and once again the icons are messed up. What's doing this, and how can I fix it?

Edit: Using Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM. Didn't think this was all worth a thread in HOTS.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 6, 2010

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Windows 7 keeps telling me that my hard drive is dying and all my system info/system scanners say that my HD is reporting zero errors. Is there an app that will tell me why Windows 7 is reporting HD errors or what these HD errors are?

Alex007
Jul 8, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

Windows 7 keeps telling me that my hard drive is dying and all my system info/system scanners say that my HD is reporting zero errors. Is there an app that will tell me why Windows 7 is reporting HD errors or what these HD errors are?

Did you look at your even viewer ?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Alex007 posted:

Did you look at your even viewer ?

Yeah but it doesn't say much other than its a SMART fault.

quote:

Windows Disk Diagnostic detected a S.M.A.R.T. fault on disk SAMSUNG HD103SJ ATA Device (volumes C:\). This disk might fail; back up your computer now. All data on the hard disk, including files, documents, pictures, programs, and settings might be lost if your hard disk fails. To determine if the hard disk needs to be repaired or replaced, contact the manufacturer of your computer. If you can't back up (for example, you have no CDs or other backup media), you should shut down your computer and restart when you have backup media available. In the meantime, do not save any critical files to this disk.
Is there a program that will verify if my HD actually needs to be swapped out?

Edit: I realized that its only happening when I come out of hibernation just like this guy: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1180782

Also here is the report Everest spits out. The columns are threshold, value, worst, data, status

quote:

[ SAMSUNG HD103SJ (S246JDWSB27526) ]

01 Raw Read Error Rate 51 100 100 0 OK: Value is normal
02 Throughput Performance 0 252 252 0 OK: Always passes
03 Spinup Time 25 73 73 8298 OK: Value is normal
04 Start/Stop Count 0 100 100 86 OK: Always passes
05 Reallocated Sector Count 10 252 252 0 OK: Value is normal
07 Seek Error Rate 51 252 252 0 OK: Value is normal
08 Seek Time Performance 15 252 252 0 OK: Value is normal
09 Power-On Time Count 0 100 100 340 OK: Always passes
0A Spinup Retry Count 51 252 252 0 OK: Value is normal
0B Calibration Retry Count 0 252 252 0 OK: Always passes
0C Power Cycle Count 0 100 100 88 OK: Always passes
BF Mechanical Shock 0 100 100 4610 OK: Always passes
C0 Power-Off Retract Count 0 252 252 0 OK: Always passes
C2 Temperature 0 64 64 17, 29 OK: Always passes
C3 Hardware ECC Recovered 0 100 100 0 OK: Always passes
C4 Reallocation Event Count 0 252 252 0 OK: Always passes
C5 Current Pending Sector Count 0 252 252 0 OK: Always passes
C6 Offline Uncorrectable Sector Count 0 252 252 0 OK: Always passes
C7 Ultra ATA CRC Error Rate 0 200 200 0 OK: Always passes
C8 Write Error Rate 0 100 100 1 OK: Always passes
DF Load/Unload Retry Count 0 252 252 0 OK: Always passes
E1 Load/Unload Cycle Count 0 100 100 90 OK: Always passes

Edit 2: Just did a chkdsk and it shows nothing wrong either.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 6, 2010

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Strong Sauce posted:

Yeah but it doesn't say much other than its a SMART fault.

Is there a program that will verify if my HD actually needs to be swapped out?

Edit: I realized that its only happening when I come out of hibernation just like this guy: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1180782

Also here is the report Everest spits out. The columns are threshold, value, worst, data, status

Edit 2: Just did a chkdsk and it shows nothing wrong either.

Since you mention Hibernation, what size is the disk? I know 7 was having bluescreens resuming from sleep/hibernation when the drive housing the C:\ partition was >=1TB. Since it was a timing issue, I wonder if that's a minor version of the same issue manifesting itself.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

Since you mention Hibernation, what size is the disk? I know 7 was having bluescreens resuming from sleep/hibernation when the drive housing the C:\ partition was >=1TB. Since it was a timing issue, I wonder if that's a minor version of the same issue manifesting itself.

Yeah it is just a 1TB drive with no partitions.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

Yeah it is just a 1TB drive with no partitions.

Definitely look into the fix that was put out on 12/22 (my linkage search is failing me ATM). Not a guarantee, but it can't hurt, at least.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

Definitely look into the fix that was put out on 12/22 (my linkage search is failing me ATM). Not a guarantee, but it can't hurt, at least.

I think this is the one you are takling about? http://tech.icrontic.com/news/microsoft-fixes-windows-7-sata-bug/

Also the description sort of matches my troubles but I am not getting any stop errors. I'll try it out later tonight to see if it fixes it.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 6, 2010

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

I think this is the one you are takling about? http://tech.icrontic.com/news/microsoft-fixes-windows-7-sata-bug/

Also the description sort of matches my troubles I am not getting any stop errors. I'll try it out later tonight to see if it fixes it.

That would be the one.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Has anyone been getting system freezes? My system hangs for 30-40 seconds at random intervals. Sometimes I'm just in Firefox, other times I'm playing a game, it's hard to predict.

I checked Event Viewer and it says nvstor64 is the source, event ID 129. It also says "Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued"

Could these be linked? Any solutions? I've googled but can't find anything useful.

I'm not using a RAID setup so if I can disable it that'll be fine.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Xanin posted:

Has anyone been getting system freezes? My system hangs for 30-40 seconds at random intervals. Sometimes I'm just in Firefox, other times I'm playing a game, it's hard to predict.

I checked Event Viewer and it says nvstor64 is the source, event ID 129. It also says "Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued"

Could these be linked? Any solutions? I've googled but can't find anything useful.

I'm not using a RAID setup so if I can disable it that'll be fine.

I'm going to guess you have an nVidia storage controller on your MoBo. Check your BIOS settings and make sure RAID is not enabled if you're not using it. It could be causing massive I/O Waits if it's looking for anything on the storage controller and waiting for something to timeout.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Xanin posted:

Your hard drive looks to be dropping off the bus or having some similar issue. What drive and what host?

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I'm using a Western Digital 1TB 7200rpm 32MB Caviar Black drive, it's only a month old. My other hard drive failed.

Not sure what you mean about host, strwrsxprt, sorry.

Using an Asus P5N32-E sli with q6600 if that's any help. Will check the BIOS now. Thanks

edit: checked my BIOS, RAID is disabled.

Lady Gaza fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 6, 2010

Chop Suey
Jul 24, 2003

Wake Up!
I read the op but I'm not the most computer saavy... Here are my questions/issues.

- Dell inspiring 1720 laptop
- 2.40ghz intel core2 duo (64kb primary memory cache)
- recently upgraded from 2gb of 5300 ram to 4gb 6700 ram (think that's the numbers)
- 8600m gt video card
- 160gb hard drive that has been running with 1gb free and never formatted / defragged in 3+ years

when playing online games I put my graphics on low settings, will have a ping of 30 to 100 and my machine hiccups or lags often. My frames get hammerred when lots of people are on screen. (playing counter strike and darkfall). Was hoping the doubling of ram would fix it... It didn't. Hoping a fresh /clean install of win 7 will fix it, because I believe I can't upgrade my vid card on this Dell laptop.

I should be buying the win 7 64bit home premium upgrade and following the clean install instructions correct? Any thoughts if this will fix the issues I've been having?

Edit: Eeek! just check system info and it says 32bit operating system. Should i just go ahead and get the full upgrade for win 7 64bit. It will work with my computer/hardware right? Not really sure what exactly makes it better and if its worth it with my cpu and ram (believe my dell laptop/motherboard is capped at 4gb)

Chop Suey fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 6, 2010

NadaTooma
Aug 24, 2004

The good thing is that everyone around you has more critical failures in combat, the bad thing is - so do you!
(Forgive me if this has already been asked in the previous 213 pages...)

I bought my Dad a copy of Windows 7 for Christmas, and just upgraded his 32-bit version of Vista. The upgrade completed with no issues, and even downloaded some updates... but then his broadband just stopped working. I initially figured it was a DSL modem password issue, and spent lots of time getting his ISP's Tech Support to reset it, but still no luck...

I kept getting this: "Error 651: The Modem (or other connecting device) has reported an error."

Once I got the chance to research this a bit, I found a possible solution:
http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-7/error-651-with-pppoe-connections-in-windows-7/

It involves taking the old "raspppoe.sys" driver from Vista, and replacing the new one on Windows 7, in the "C:\Windows\System32\Drivers" folder. Apparently a 32-bit Windows 7 upgrade will sometimes clobber the working driver, or something like that. Before I make the long drive over there and try out this fix (especially since I obviously won't have internet access there until this is fixed), I figured it couldn't hurt to ask if anyone had run into something similar. Thanks.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Striker 9 posted:

I read the op but I'm not the most computer saavy... Here are my questions/issues.

- Dell inspiring 1720 laptop
- 2.40ghz intel core2 duo (64kb primary memory cache)
- recently upgraded from 2gb of 5300 ram to 4gb 6700 ram (think that's the numbers)
- 8600m gt video card
- 160gb hard drive that has been running with 1gb free and never formatted / defragged in 3+ years

when playing online games I put my graphics on low settings, will have a ping of 30 to 100 and my machine hiccups or lags often. My frames get hammerred when lots of people are on screen. (playing counter strike and darkfall). Was hoping the doubling of ram would fix it... It didn't. Hoping a fresh /clean install of win 7 will fix it, because I believe I can't upgrade my vid card on this Dell laptop.

I should be buying the win 7 64bit home premium upgrade and following the clean install instructions correct? Any thoughts if this will fix the issues I've been having?

Edit: Eeek! just check system info and it says 32bit operating system. Should i just go ahead and get the full upgrade for win 7 64bit. It will work with my computer/hardware right? Not really sure what exactly makes it better and if its worth it with my cpu and ram (believe my dell laptop/motherboard is capped at 4gb)
You cannot just upgrade 32-bit to 64-bit, you'd have to backup your data, reformat, then reinstall W7-64. Also to figure out if your computer can handle it:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions

quote:

To run a 64-bit version of Windows, your computer must have a 64-bit-capable processor. To find out if your processor is 64-bit-capable, do the following:

Open Performance Information and Tools by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Performance Information and Tools.

Click View and print details.

In the System section, you can see what type of operating system you're currently running under System type. Under 64-bit capable, you can see whether you can run a 64-bit version of Windows. (If your computer is already running a 64-bit version of Windows, you won't see the 64-bit capable listing.)

Chop Suey
Jul 24, 2003

Wake Up!

Strong Sauce posted:

You cannot just upgrade 32-bit to 64-bit, you'd have to backup your data, reformat, then reinstall W7-64. Also to figure out if your computer can handle it:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions

Aye, I've already backed up all my data in prep for doing a clean format/install. Not sure I'm going to do it though as my laptop is dated and I think it is my video card that is the bottle neck. Don't think a new fresh install is going to fix the problems.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
During a virusscan I noticed it was searching through a folder on my external drive called $RECYCLE.BIN (hidden, can't view it unless I enter it directly). Inside is 15GB of data, but there's nothing in the recycle bin. When I enter it through a cmd-prompt, it's empty as well. Any way to clean it?

edit: Managed to delete it using

rd /s /q $RECYCLE.BIN

Grawl fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 6, 2010

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Striker 9 posted:

Aye, I've already backed up all my data in prep for doing a clean format/install. Not sure I'm going to do it though as my laptop is dated and I think it is my video card that is the bottle neck. Don't think a new fresh install is going to fix the problems.

Darkfall may give your card problems but if you cant run CS or even CS:S then I don't think its a video card issue.

Also if you're not using a 64-bit OS your laptop can't access all 4Gb of RAM.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I bought W7Pro-64 a few days ago using the college student 29.99 deal but I can't complete the download from Digital River. I first tried to get the .exe version with the setup and box files but it would freeze at 68%. Next I tried getting the straight .iso version but that one would freeze at 50%. Whenever it hits 50% the speed just drops to zero and I see a 0.01mb increase every couple minutes.

I don't think the server is being hammered since this is January and they already went through all this back in October. I tried googling for similar issues but everything was from October/November and nothing recent.

Is there any other way for me to legally download W7Pro-64 without using Digital River's lovely download manager that keeps stalling on me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Eddain posted:

I bought W7Pro-64 a few days ago using the college student 29.99 deal but I can't complete the download from Digital River. I first tried to get the .exe version with the setup and box files but it would freeze at 68%. Next I tried getting the straight .iso version but that one would freeze at 50%. Whenever it hits 50% the speed just drops to zero and I see a 0.01mb increase every couple minutes.

I don't think the server is being hammered since this is January and they already went through all this back in October. I tried googling for similar issues but everything was from October/November and nothing recent.

Is there any other way for me to legally download W7Pro-64 without using Digital River's lovely download manager that keeps stalling on me?

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/10/28/direct-download-ISO-dvd-for-windows-7-student-upgrade/