Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Hudson posted:

I wonder whatever happened to that Women's Title that Madusa dropped in the trash.

Probably got taken to a landfill sometime that week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hudson
Jun 1, 2004

Beneath the surface lies the future.

Karmine posted:

Probably got taken to a landfill sometime that week.

I think some neck beard guy has it somewhere in the Southern US.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Hudson posted:

I wonder whatever happened to that Women's Title that Madusa dropped in the trash.

The plan was for Jim Duggan to find it and defend it.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Speaking of Medusa, I went looking into why Bigfoot fell off the major circuits and why that piece of poo poo Grave-digger had become the big hit today. I then learned Medusa ended up driving Bigfoot in 2006 for a year and a half. Odd.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Not only that, she also had her massive implants removed.

POOR MANS HROLF
Apr 9, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump
I don't know if this is the right place but this needs to be shared. Credit to GH & Joe from like ten years ago or something.

a tribute to the greatest commentator wcw ever had

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I miss GH and Joe, they are loving hilarious in Prodigy Chat and their recaps of Raw and Nitro were even funnier.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Not only that, she also had her massive implants removed.
Good for her. Implants look and feel gross.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

I had totally forgotten about this until you mentioned it. That segment owned hard.
Seriously, Norman Smiley was all kinds of awesome when he'd do poo poo like come out and defend his hardcore title dressed in football pads (complete with helmet).
Surprised no-one has mentioned the BOOGIE KNIGHTS team of Disco Inferno, Alex Wright and the DISCO DUCK! Also when Disco was part of the Filthy Animals stable and changed his name to the Hip-Hop Inferno. I will always have a special place in my heart for Glenn Gilberti. Seriously, poo poo like when the "Last Dance" was a standing figure-four and he would always forget how to do the manouver and Disco would pull out a piece of paper with instructions on how to perform the move. Disco Inferno owned hard!

Best bit was when they were The Dancing Fools and Tokyo Magnum kept trying to join them and would be out there dancing behind them without Disco and Alex noticing him. Then Public Enemy killed him in a tag team match at Road Wild.

Hudson
Jun 1, 2004

Rusty Shackelford posted:

The plan was for Jim Duggan to find it and defend it.

Haha, just picturing this cracks me up

Hudson
Jun 1, 2004

I also remember when the nWo did a live conversion of the WCW Nitro set to an nWo one and the ratings during that time just nose dived.

It was like 20+ minutes of newly converted nWo stage workers busting their rear end.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Hudson posted:

I also remember when the nWo did a live conversion of the WCW Nitro set to an nWo one and the ratings during that time just nose dived.

It was like 20+ minutes of newly converted nWo stage workers busting their rear end.

It was on 24/7 not too long ago and god drat I thought people were exaggerating but yup they spent 20+ minutes on primetime television striking a set.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Karmine posted:

It was on 24/7 not too long ago and god drat I thought people were exaggerating but yup they spent 20+ minutes on primetime television striking a set.

Anyone got a youtube of this?

Hudson
Jun 1, 2004

blunt posted:

I tried to find it but I couldn't. It has be somewhere though.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

blunt posted:

One of the nitro uploaders on youtube is due to put this show up any day now. When he does I'll link it.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I've got that entire Nitro. I'll see about uploading it.

Hudson
Jun 1, 2004

The whole set takeover thing has actually aged quite well if you ask me because watching it now is amusing and a little nostalgic. However doing something like this during the Monday Night War and in Prime time was just stupid as hell.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Hudson posted:

However doing something like this during the Monday Night War and in Prime time was just stupid as hell.

Raw was a pretaped show that night as well. They actually knew exactly what they would be going head to head with when they made that decision. Oh and it was the go home show to STARCADE 97.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Here's the videos of the nWo dismantling the set I promised earlier plus the immediate aftermath of a botched motorcycle gift and an awkward limo thing.

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bVKtq3ulaI
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFyzfSPSYtA (8:50 "Wrong one, goddamn")
Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8GFWunRMlI

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 6, 2010

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Skinty McEdger posted:

Raw was a pretaped show that night as well. They actually knew exactly what they would be going head to head with when they made that decision. Oh and it was the go home show to STARCADE 97.

You know, I didn't watch Nitro or Raw at the time, but I can understand the rationale in the abstract. It was the NWO at their height adn they were showing what would happen if Hogan beat Sting, and the NWO took over and changed everything. Admitedly the execution was appalling but the idea was sound. I just would have had the set built beforehand, I suppose.

Captain Misc.
Sep 8, 2007

Why don't the kids
want to buy my mask?
:mad:

Jack Krauser posted:

Here's the videos of the nWo dismantling the set I promised earlier plus the immediate aftermath of a botched motorcycle gift and an awkward limo thing.

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bVKtq3ulaI
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFyzfSPSYtA
Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8GFWunRMlI

A YOU WIF US OR NOT!

PUT THIS ON!

KEEP IT ON!

4LIFE!!!!

Hudson
Jun 1, 2004

Von Linus posted:

You know, I didn't watch Nitro or Raw at the time, but I can understand the rationale in the abstract. It was the NWO at their height adn they were showing what would happen if Hogan beat Sting, and the NWO took over and changed everything. Admitedly the execution was appalling but the idea was sound. I just would have had the set built beforehand, I suppose.

Could be wrong here but as I recall Eric pulled that stunt to gauge the reaction of a possible nWo Monday Nitro and keep Thunder as a regular WCW. Of course when the ratings nose dived during the set redesign the idea was scrapped. Yeah, building it before hand with some small shorter clips of the nWo taking over might have been a better idea.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
The biggest part about the Monday Night Wars is that it allowed you to pick what you wanted to watch. If Raw and Nitro were on at the very same time and you were watching Raw, if you didn't like a guy or a storyline or there was a commercial, you flipped to Nitro. And vice versa. This usually gave you a two hour wrestling show of what YOU wanted to see, no commercials.

This is why pro wrestling, even when making millions of dollars, had trouble getting sponsors. These sponsors were not dumb. The moment Raw had a commercial, even in its glory days, people would flip to Nitro to see what was going on there. Fortunately for the WWF, it was usually dogshit.

Being :canada:, we got Raw on Monday Night and Nitro on Tuesday night. There wasn't really a war. It was moreso wrestling all week. Mondays were Raw. Tuesdays were Nitro. Wednesday's were Thunder. Thursdays were Smackdown!. Fridays you could rent a wrestling tape. Saturdays and Sundays were a big combination of Worldwide/Saturday Night/Heat/Jakked/Metal/Shotgun and Superstars. We didn't get to miss the commercials by flipping to the other show.

I guess that's why I enjoyed last Monday so much. I got to feel what Americans got during the Monday Night War.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

The NWO actually took over the show 4 times in the year running upto the December 22nd show. Each time they got a small ratings boost from it. They had even had NWO Souled out, the PPV equivilent of it, starting with the NWO riding to the stadium on the back of garbage truck. So on paper I can see why it seemed a good idea. The execution just backfired.

Souled out was a terrible show it must be said, but something so different that its worth a watch for the trainwreck.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Skinty McEdger posted:

The NWO actually took over the show 4 times in the year running upto the December 22nd show. Each time they got a small ratings boost from it. They had even had NWO Souled out, the PPV equivilent of it, starting with the NWO riding to the stadium on the back of garbage truck. So on paper I can see why it seemed a good idea. The execution just backfired.

Souled out was a terrible show it must be said, but something so different that its worth a watch for the trainwreck.

The announcer for that show was a creepy disembodied voice. What's not to love.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Lone Rogue posted:

The biggest part about the Monday Night Wars is that it allowed you to pick what you wanted to watch. If Raw and Nitro were on at the very same time and you were watching Raw, if you didn't like a guy or a storyline or there was a commercial, you flipped to Nitro. And vice versa. This usually gave you a two hour wrestling show of what YOU wanted to see, no commercials.

This is why pro wrestling, even when making millions of dollars, had trouble getting sponsors. These sponsors were not dumb. The moment Raw had a commercial, even in its glory days, people would flip to Nitro to see what was going on there. Fortunately for the WWF, it was usually dogshit.

Being :canada:, we got Raw on Monday Night and Nitro on Tuesday night. There wasn't really a war. It was moreso wrestling all week. Mondays were Raw. Tuesdays were Nitro. Wednesday's were Thunder. Thursdays were Smackdown!. Fridays you could rent a wrestling tape. Saturdays and Sundays were a big combination of Worldwide/Saturday Night/Heat/Jakked/Metal/Shotgun and Superstars. We didn't get to miss the commercials by flipping to the other show.

I guess that's why I enjoyed last Monday so much. I got to feel what Americans got during the Monday Night War.

TNT used to run Nitro right after Nitro would end, or like an hour later. I think they wedged an episode of Walker...Texas Ranger in the middle sometimes, but if something really amazing happened, you could just set ye olde vcr and watch it the next day. That's why despite being mainly a WWF fan for the monday night war era, I have an oddly extensive collection of NItro on tape

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
On the best coast, erh, I mean west coast, Nitro was on at 5 and when it was over Raw started so I just watched both, BACK TO BACK TO BACK like a good little smark.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

Raeg posted:

The announcer for that show was a creepy disembodied voice. What's not to love.
Hogan exposed The Giant's buttcheeks after the nWo beatdown/spraypainting, THAT'S what's not to love

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

FishBulb posted:

On the best coast, erh, I mean west coast, Nitro was on at 5 and when it was over Raw started so I just watched both, BACK TO BACK TO BACK like a good little smark.
They stopped doing this in '98 or '99 and IMMEDIATELY started losing the ratings war, yet nobody ever brings this up.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Am I the only one that remembers the WWF doing the same thing for a while? Re-running Raw immediately after it finished.

UndergroundHero
Feb 1, 2005

Throw reason right out the fuckin' window.

FishBulb posted:

I use to be so excited for Monday nights because I could do the 5 hours of non-stop wrestling.

Of course when they stopped airing Nitro live on the West Coast I stopped watching. Kind of bummed since I missed WCW2000.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
That's weird I don't remember them stopping I guess I must have taped one and watched the other.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
In 1999 I was working Monday nights, so I remember having to set up the VCR to tape the first hour of Nitro, then Raw (plus the overrun), then the last two hours of the Nitro replay, just to make sure I saw everything, and I wouldn't actually get to watch much of either show before Tuesday.

If only I had all those Nitro-watching hours back...

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

FishBulb posted:

That's weird I don't remember them stopping I guess I must have taped one and watched the other.
It was when all of TNT and TBS stopped broadcasting Eastern times even on the West Coast.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Does anyone else remember the horrifically embarrassing WCW/MTV live call-in special they did one year? I can honestly say it's the biggest trainwreck of WCW's entire existence. Even with stuff like Arquette as champ, I've never felt as bad for the company as this show.

It was on a weekend where they were scheduled to do 3 hours of a tournament. From what I could tell, the tournament would be based on both actual matches and phone call votes. Because it was live and outside, there was a huge rain storm that made the ring completely unsafe. They got one tag match out of the way before putting the kibosh on any more. The three hour special was moved down to two hours.

Now, the whole vote thing wasn't just for the wrestlers themselves. It was for the wrestlers matched with a music video. So instead of voting for DDP based on him being a happening dude and a popular wrestler, you'd be voting for him because he represents that Van Halen video with the chick in the ice cave from back when the dude from Extreme was lead singer. Really, an hour and fifty minutes is dedicated to two wrestlers (or three if a tag team is involved) walking to the ring and saying "Yeah, vote for me and my Madonna video SUCKAAAAA!"

It ended with DDP vs. Raven (representing some Hole video) and a brawl between the two to at least give the live crowd something to go home with.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The DDP/Raven angle was pretty awesome and I loved that whole storyline (and only saw highlights of the Mtv thing on Nitro) so I had no problems with any of that!

WCW had some weird crossovers with Mtv though. That battle royal they had while Fear Factory played on a beach was... very weird. Why would Fear Factory play on a beach? To wrestling? With no point?

Von Dozier
Jul 10, 2009

by Peatpot

Gavok posted:

Does anyone else remember the horrifically embarrassing WCW/MTV live call-in special they did one year? I can honestly say it's the biggest trainwreck of WCW's entire existence. Even with stuff like Arquette as champ, I've never felt as bad for the company as this show.

I do remember this :psyduck:

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Never let it be forgotten that the reason for the start of the Raven DDP feud was that the flock crashed a Stuck Mojo video taping. Sure it was later retconned to be about their rivalry over being Jake Roberts favoured student, but to begin with it was because of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoQB8JACkuI

You have to remember that WCW treated this as being a legit invasion of a music video and not as being part of the 'videos script' which begs the question: what was the video going to be beforehand? 5 minutes of DDP standing half naked in a ring?

Hudson
Jun 1, 2004

I loved the promos that Macho Man used to cut with Sting and some of the other guys around 1995 in WCW. They were just awesome. Botchamania did a year of PPV Macho Man Promos on youtube but I can't find it anymore because I think youtube shut down his account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Can we talk about something that WCW did that I thought was great? I really thought the WCW All-Nighter specials were awesome from top to bottom.

For those not aware, WCW ran a couple of marathons on TBS of old matches and it was hosted by Tony, Larry, Bobby & Gene hanging out in what appeared to be a hotel room like they were having a sleepover of sorts and they would talk about the matches and the angles before and after they showed them.