Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

The Blue Pyramid posted:

if you do some weird poo poo (think levitation), you can kill him easily.

That applies to most fights in the game, except cliffracers. Levitation, increased speed, and jump spells will substantially confuse most enemies and give you a huge advantage, particularly if you combine them with marksman or ranged destruction attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

:poland: :poland: :poland:

Astfgl posted:

That applies to most fights in the game, except cliffracers. Levitation, increased speed, and jump spells will substantially confuse most enemies and give you a huge advantage, particularly if you combine them with marksman or ranged destruction attacks.

My favorite time waste in that game was getting on one of the smaller houses in Balmora (right across from the Fighters Guild), sitting there on the roof where a 3 foot ledge kept anyone from getting to me, and sniping all the guards with a bow.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008

The Machine posted:

Can I get some Arx Fatalis tips? I bought the game a year ago and I'm just now starting it up. I was killed by a goblin on level 2.

Look everywhere. The designers of this game didn't mess around with hidden doors, items under beds, gems in pools of water, etc. There is an astonishing amount of hidden stuff, and some of it will be very important. Find a few places to dump stuff off where you know you can it again, especially if it looks like it could be important. You will also probably need to resort to a walkthrough here and there, especially in one or two places near the end.

Practice the spell gestures. Practice. Practice. Getting off a fireball at the last moment can save your hide.

The best way to practice is to by precasting spells with Shift+Ctrl. Coincidentally, queuing up three attack spells to hit an opponent with before they get into melee range is another fantastic way to keep yourself from dying.

Normal (bows & arrows) ranged combat is pretty garbage, as I recall, so don't bother with it.

Melee is really about charging the attack, hitting, then dodging back to avoid the counter. Standing your ground won't cut it, so don't get backed into corners, and don't be afraid to keep props like tables and such between you and your enemies while you ready strikes and cast spells.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

The Blue Pyramid posted:

Question time, for Shadow Complex, is there a way to cook grenades? I ask because I'm still fairly new into the game, but there's a patch of breakable rocks in the very first room up on a ceiling. Is there a way to break this besides a rocket launcher?

Just fire the grenade from a different position so it has more time in the air.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Zushio posted:

Just fire the grenade from a different position so it has more time in the air.

Awkwardly placed grenade obstacles are supposed to be broken by sticking a grenade into foam.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

graventy posted:

Hey, any tips on how to start in X3: Terran Conflict?

The game seems pretty awesome, but slow-moving and.. a bit confounding.

I'd like a few tips on this one too, I picked it up before the steam sale ended and I know it has a reputation for being hard to get the hang of.

ConradPoohs
Mar 18, 2009
Any tips for Vagrant Story? Specifically, I feel a little overwhelmed by all the stuff concerning weapons. Mine came without a manual, so there's classes and affinities and types and all these numbers oh god. :gonk:

Any other tips would be appreciated as well. Assume I know nothing, because I do.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

Awkwardly placed grenade obstacles are supposed to be broken by sticking a grenade into foam.

Obviously, but I didn't find any grenade obstacles I couldn't hit by firing creatively.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

ConradPoohs posted:

Any tips for Vagrant Story? Specifically, I feel a little overwhelmed by all the stuff concerning weapons. Mine came without a manual, so there's classes and affinities and types and all these numbers oh god. :gonk:

Any other tips would be appreciated as well. Assume I know nothing, because I do.

http://wsik.centipeed.com/index.php/Site/VagrantStory

I'm starting to assume that people don't check the wiki before they ask for tips. I can't blame them, I guess, since there's not much we can do for its exposure, except what I'm doing right now of course.

CloseFriend: Would you mind changing the link in the OP to wsik.centipeed.com instead of what it is right now? If you link to the subdomain rather than the subfolder, it doesn't mess up my visitor stats as much.

ahobday fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 6, 2010

Selane
May 19, 2006

ConradPoohs posted:

-Never chain more than 8 hits, because your Risk will start skyrocketing at that point.

-As for weapons, you can focus on Type or Class, just make sure you have something to use in each situation.

-Out of combat, always sheath your weapons, you regen(health, mana, and risk) twice as fast with them put away.

-Buff spells are powerful in this game. On bosses, always use Herakles and Prostasia.

Since you don't have the manual, you might not know what Risk does. As I recall it has four effects.

As Risk increases:

Offensive drawback - your attacks miss more often
Offensive benefit - your attacks crit more often
Defensive drawback - you take more damage
Defensive benefit - you benefit more from healing spells

You should always try to keep your Risk down, but if it ends up high for some reason you might as well bust out a Heal or two to get some extra healing out of it. Also, Heal is affected by magic defense, so you will get two different numbers depending on whether or not you have your sword and shield drawn when you cast it. Check to see which is more beneficial.

Baka Ronnie
Jun 20, 2009

Mazurek Dabrowskiego
I'm looking for some advice on the vintage classic Homoworld. I heard it's a really tough nut to bust and I'd love if someone who manhandled the game sometime before could show me all the soft spots to watch out for.

Guess I should mention I don't have much experience with games in the strategy (this means real time, I've beaten quite a lot of turn based games before)
art of games at all. So please try to give some basic advice that even a noob like me can follow, don't get too indepth. I would like to thank
you in advance! :)

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

Centipeed posted:

I'm starting to assume that people don't check the wiki before they ask for tips. I can't blame them, I guess, since there's not much we can do for its exposure, except what I'm doing right now of course.

CloseFriend: Would you mind changing the link in the OP to wsik.centipeed.com instead of what it is right now? If you link to the subdomain rather than the subfolder, it doesn't mess up my visitor stats as much.

If people stop asking questions here, then how are you going to get additional good starting advice for your wiki? And besides, do you want your wiki to kill this topic? Some of us like posting here on the forums, instead of just sifting through your wiki without any interaction with other people at all.

I was going to ask for starting advice for Metal Gear Solid 3, because I've started one of those backlog things and it's pretty much the first game on my list, but I haven't played it in years and I'm absolutely dreadful compared to how good I used to be. Also, the wiki gives advice for MGS4 in the MGS3 area, so I guess this really is the best place to ask for the help.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Grundma posted:

I'd like a few tips on this one too, I picked it up before the steam sale ended and I know it has a reputation for being hard to get the hang of.

After asking, I found the thread for the game, which has a few useful tips. Also, I recommend reading the manual, as there are a lot of tips in that thing. Still don't know what I'm doing, though. :)

sugary
May 6, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Baka Ronnie posted:

I'm looking for some advice on the vintage classic Homoworld. I heard it's a really tough nut to bust and I'd love if someone who manhandled the game sometime before could show me all the soft spots to watch out for.

Guess I should mention I don't have much experience with games in the strategy (this means real time, I've beaten quite a lot of turn based games before)
art of games at all. So please try to give some basic advice that even a noob like me can follow, don't get too indepth. I would like to thank
you in advance! :)

You made a good choice. It can seem a little overwhelming at first, and the interface will feel bloated and hard to manage. However, once you peel back the exterior you'll find a robust and rigid system of giving orders and stimulating gameplay.

I suggest reading the manual and maybe googling a guide for it. It took me a little while to get started, but once I did I was docking ships like a pro.

One last suggestion, if you decide to play the single player, start with an easier difficulty even if you've played RTSes before. They'll get you trained up and hardened for the tougher encounters and you can move up to a higher difficulty later. It's important to note that the enemies can seem endless, so at times you'll be beating off guys left and right but they'll keep coming, so just keep at it and you'll eventually get them all off.

In other words, play the tutorial and you'll be fine. Great game, though.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

ConradPoohs posted:

I believe most if not all of the manual is replicated in the in game help.

The short version about classes affinities and types: Keep your strongest blunt, piercing and edged weapon on you at all times. Use the weapon with the most effective type against your target, then use the elemental weapon spells to match affinities. Don't worry about class.

In general Dragons are weak to piercing, Skeletons to blunt, beasts and humans/zombies with exposed flesh to edged. There are exceptions.

The long version:

Classes describe the kind of monster your fighting. Ashley is a human, everything else falls into one of the 6 categories. Human, Beast, Dragon, Phantom, Evil, Undead

Affinity describes the elemental strengths and weaknesses associated with a weapon/target. With the exception of Physical each element has an opposite, Earth <=> Air, Water <=> Fire, Dark <=> Light

The damage done comes from the difference between the attributes of the weapon and target. On the offence you want higher numbers in affinities and types your target has lower numbers. On the defence you want higher numbers in the attributes that describe the attack.

In the case of Classes and Affinities, your weapons/armour have a chance of becoming more effective for the next hit of the same class or affinity.

The Class of your target/attacker can go up on your weapon/armour when you attack or are attacked. There is also the chance that either or both of the 2 classes beneath it class in the listing could go down.

Affinities on weapons/armour work the same way. Except that when physical can go up any of the other elements can go down, and whenever any of the other elements could go up the opposite element or physical could go down. The affinity of your weapon is the affinity with the highest value.

Type defines the kind of attack you're doing (blunt/edged/piercing)

The status line at the bottom while the targeting sphere is open will describe the attack you are about to do. Listing the target's class, and the affinity and type of your weapon.

To maximize your damage output/minimize damage incurred use analyze to figure out an enemy's weakness and modify your weapon with gems and spells to take advantage of it.

Concentrate on matching Types and Affinities more than classes, as there is a greater damage bonus for attacking with a weapon that has an affinity and/or type matching your targets weaknesses than using a weapon trained against that class.

Other general tips: Stick with 1 handed weapons, so you can use a shield. It really cuts down on the damage you take. Beware, because it will hinder your healing spell. Unless you're wielding a shield loaded with high intelligence gems, you're always better off casting heal with your shield drawn.

Don't be afraid to wait for your risk to drop before leaving a room.

As for statuses, you can only have one active status that modifies each of your equipment and stats. Meaning you can only have one of herakles, enlightenment, invigorate, degenerate, psychodrain, leadbones or curse at once. With the exception of curse, any of these spells will cancel out an active effect. So if an enemy degenerates you, you can cancel it by casting herakles.

On the equipment side of things, this means only one of prostasia, tarnish or any enchanter spells. For best damage output you want Ashley under the effects of herakles and the element booster that matches your targets weakness, after casting degenerate on your target.

That's enough for now. I'm quite sure what's in the wiki came from one of my earlier posts in the thread.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Agent Nick posted:

I was going to ask for starting advice for Metal Gear Solid 3, because I've started one of those backlog things and it's pretty much the first game on my list, but I haven't played it in years and I'm absolutely dreadful compared to how good I used to be. Also, the wiki gives advice for MGS4 in the MGS3 area, so I guess this really is the best place to ask for the help.

CQC is pressure sensitive, so hold buttons lightly unless you actually want to slit the guy's throat.

When you're holding a guy, click the right stick to threat him. Sometimes they'll tell you a special radio frequency that can cancel an alert. Also, easter eggs.

Tranquilizers are always your best friend.

Every boss drops a special camo for stamina killing him or her. Except The End, you need to sneak up on him and hold him up for him to drop one of the best camos in the game.

Laying down in grass can get you the highest camo index.

The machine gun with the huge magazine will make Snake Rambo yell while he fires it. It's awesome.

Make sure to explore areas. It's very easy to miss handy items entirely.

Call Sigint when you're using the shirtless camo and/or when you're in a box.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Does anyone have tips for Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner? I'm not super amazing at action games, is it particularly difficult? I'm thinking about getting a used copy.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Does anyone have tips for Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner? I'm not super amazing at action games, is it particularly difficult? I'm thinking about getting a used copy.

I actually made it through it on a setup that gave me 300 or so ms of input lag.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

sugary posted:

You made a good choice. It can seem a little overwhelming at first, and the interface will feel bloated and hard to manage. However, once you peel back the exterior you'll find a robust and rigid system of giving orders and stimulating gameplay.

I suggest reading the manual and maybe googling a guide for it. It took me a little while to get started, but once I did I was docking ships like a pro.

One last suggestion, if you decide to play the single player, start with an easier difficulty even if you've played RTSes before. They'll get you trained up and hardened for the tougher encounters and you can move up to a higher difficulty later. It's important to note that the enemies can seem endless, so at times you'll be beating off guys left and right but they'll keep coming, so just keep at it and you'll eventually get them all off.

In other words, play the tutorial and you'll be fine. Great game, though.

This is hilarious.

Do you have any advanced advice on how he can penetrate the enemy's rear?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Agent Nick posted:

If people stop asking questions here, then how are you going to get additional good starting advice for your wiki? And besides, do you want your wiki to kill this topic? Some of us like posting here on the forums, instead of just sifting through your wiki without any interaction with other people at all.

You make some good points. All I'm really suggesting is that people look at the Wiki first, since it might answer some of their questions before they make a post. Obviously the information there isn't exhaustive, but it's designed to collect past information so that repetitions aren't necessary in the thread.

Are you saying that the tip on the Metal Gear Solid 3 page of the wiki is actually a tip for Metal Gear Solid 4? I don't play the games, so I wouldn't have caught that. If it is, I'll move it, and thank you for the heads up.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Astfgl posted:

Levitating will actually make most humans run away scared, even town guards.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

Centipeed posted:

Are you saying that the tip on the Metal Gear Solid 3 page of the wiki is actually a tip for Metal Gear Solid 4? I don't play the games, so I wouldn't have caught that. If it is, I'll move it, and thank you for the heads up.

Yeah. Gekko's were the new thing in 4, which takes place about 40 years after 3. And it's the only hint under 3.

Also, your wiki is exceptionally useful and I've already emailed it to a bunch of friends like the proper email spamming whore that I am. I'm just interested in making sure the thread doesn't die because of it, because inevitably if the thread dies your wiki dies. And I need the wiki if I'm going to finish all these games I want to replay.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

It's a pretty straightforward game but there are some real hair pulling moments that amount to glorified escort missions especially one during a boss fight (if you played this game you know which one I'm talking about). The best sub-weapon is geyser because it temporarily stuns enemies. For bosses, they all have a noticeable pattern and taking them down is a matter of not attacking until they finish that pattern.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

A shrubbery! posted:

Levitating will actually make most humans run away scared, even town guards.

It's a good thing that most humans (non-enemy non-guard citizens, that is) can be force-admired by just re-positioning the speechcraft box so you can hammer on the button until their disposition is back to normal.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Agent Nick posted:

I'm just interested in making sure the thread doesn't die because of it, because inevitably if the thread dies your wiki dies. And I need the wiki if I'm going to finish all these games I want to replay.

I'm absolutely with you on this one.

And I moved the MGS3 tip to the MGS4 page, and got rid of the MGS3 page. Thanks again for the heads up. If you notice any more errors, let me know.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Baka Ronnie posted:

i don't remember that game being too hard -- the Homeworld 2, yea, but the original, not so much. i think you can just build salvage ships and bsically steal the enemies big cruisers and poo poo.

butt beware because the aliens have hot asses and you might want to space rape them, u fag

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
I am just going to throw this out there since I can't edit the wiki and hopefully someone can (I couldn't find any info on the wiki about the password).

Painkiller Black Edition

It is impossible to get all the cards when starting your first game in trauma mode because the demons do not drop souls. Some levels require you to collect X amount of souls in order to unlock cards. Do not start your first game in trauma mode.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

joats posted:

I am just going to throw this out there since I can't edit the wiki and hopefully someone can (I couldn't find any info on the wiki about the password).

Hey! Thanks for pointing this out. I rewrote the help page a while back, and accidentally got rid of the part about the password.

It's up there now, on the help page, but basically you have to email me to get the password. We need to add the tips in this thread from the beginning forwards, and it's been added up to page 33, so far. We don't want to miss anything here, and we want to avoid duplicating anything.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

joats posted:

Painkiller Black Edition

It is impossible to get all the cards when starting your first game in trauma mode because the demons do not drop souls. Some levels require you to collect X amount of souls in order to unlock cards. Do not start your first game in trauma mode.

In addition, Trauma mode is supposed to be locked until you've collected all the Black Tarot cards from Nightmare mode. Do not play your first game on Trauma, it won't be nearly as much fun.

crab hat CRAB HAT!
Feb 19, 2008
Doctor Rope
I played Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption when it came out but never finished it, taking it up again. Anyone want to share some general advice?

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

SpazmasterX posted:

Call Sigint when you're using the shirtless camo and/or when you're in a box.

This is the best advice for this game. MGS3 has the most clever easter-eggs and self-spoofing humor out of any game of the series. There are numerous radio conversations that range from weird shock to outright laughter.

The discussions with Para-medic when you save are pretty compelling too if you have even the slightest interest in movies.

As Spazmaster said, try to stamina kill all the bosses (and hold up The End), especially on your first playthrough. The camo you gain will make your next playthrough a lot more fun/easy.

Also make sure you stamina kill The End as well as holding him up. It gets you a sniper rifle that fires tranq darts which can be very useful for later on in the game.

If you are using the tsuchinoko method to get infinite ammo, make sure you kill every single other animal in the area or you will suffer major frustration. Use thermal goggles and the radar to confirm the area is free of animals (obviously you should remove all guards as well.)

Also, at least for your first time, don't beat The End with the cheese method of setting the system clock forward (or killing him at the dock). It is perhaps one of the most engaging and enjoyable boss fights ever and you would be robbing yourself of a great experience by exploiting the alternate methods of fighting him.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

combat engineer posted:

I played Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption when it came out but never finished it, taking it up again. Anyone want to share some general advice?

Don't set the AI to aggresssive because it's loving stupid. Your party members will instantly chase anything within vision, drain blood from each other without prompting, and instantly activate every single buff even when they're fighting some low powered monster.

I forget what it's called but I believe the middle AI option is neutral or basically player controlled. Blunt weapons overall deal more damage but slashing weapons have a higher chance of instant death. You'll want that chick with the black hair (been a long time, bro) to learn the ability that raises people and buffs like celerity are good when regulated because the AI will drain a lot of blood if you let them do it themselves. Standard RPG rules apply here. Lure monsters away from groups and utilize all the resources available to you.

Finally, best piece of advice I can give regards draining blood. If you kill an innocent then you lose humanity. Instead, drink their blood until they have a sliver of health and let them go. Wait about 30 seconds and they'll regenerate most of their blood allowing one of your other party members to drink. Vampires can suck each other but you get waaaaay less blood in the transaction.

Blood draining is also a cheap way to win tough fights especially against enemy spell casters. Apparently vampires are professional grapplers because even the physically strongest monsters are putty to a hungry vampire. The reverse applies and if you see someone's blood draining fast you better get a party member over there to whack at the rear end in a top hat that's sucking on them.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

I've decided to play through Phantom Brave, since I've had it for a long time but never touched it. I'm a couple maps in and good lord, what is going on in this battle system? Every single thing has its own stats and experience and I just don't know what's worth doing. :confused: I haven't been this confused since the time I tried to play Unlimited Saga.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

Zaku II SB posted:

I've decided to play through Phantom Brave, since I've had it for a long time but never touched it. I'm a couple maps in and good lord, what is going on in this battle system? Every single thing has its own stats and experience and I just don't know what's worth doing. :confused: I haven't been this confused since the time I tried to play Unlimited Saga.

Don't worry too much about that unless you want to. Pick units you like, give them a weapon that seems to match them well (melee weapons for fighting classes, staves for mages, bushes or w/e for healers) and go to town. Similar to Disgaea and Pokemon and such, you can take the game at face value and powerlevel your way through the main story, but if you want to do all the postgame content, you'll need to learn the mechanics inside and out at some point.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

Zaku II SB posted:

There's a lot going on in that battle system. But that just means it's ridiculously easy to break. I've posted about Phantom Brave a few times in this thread.

Sorry for all the links and potential overlap, I just don't feel like typing out a full set of tips right now.

doo doo thief
Jun 5, 2007

by Fistgrrl

combat engineer posted:

Don't eat him. Trust me on this.

crab hat CRAB HAT!
Feb 19, 2008
Doctor Rope

al-azad posted:

lots of advice

Thank you very much.

doo doo thief posted:

Don't eat him. Trust me on this.

Guess I will keep this in mind too. Thanks

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Centipeed posted:

http://wsik.centipeed.com/index.php/Site/VagrantStory

Done and done. Thanks for all your work on this, by the way. Those icons are awesome; sorry I forgot to thank you for that earlier.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

Hey Centipeed, I would like to go through and edit the wiki to fix little spelling mistakes and stuff like that, as well as to help rearrange the tips and tricks so that they're in a better order (some pages have tips for the end of games at the top, and then tricks for starting the game off at the bottom). Email is theagentnick at gmail dot com, so if you could email me the password that would be great and then you wouldn't have to do any more work than absolutely necessary...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Agent Nick posted:

Hey Centipeed, I would like to go through and edit the wiki to fix little spelling mistakes and stuff like that, as well as to help rearrange the tips and tricks so that they're in a better order (some pages have tips for the end of games at the top, and then tricks for starting the game off at the bottom). Email is theagentnick at gmail dot com, so if you could email me the password that would be great and then you wouldn't have to do any more work than absolutely necessary...

Awesome! I've emailed you.

Whenever tips get added to the wiki, they're just copied and pasted, so we never check for mistakes or arrangement. This will definitely help!