Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

Talas posted:

Oops, I didn't read exactly what you wanted the first time... anyway, those books are the closest I can think about it, they're not massive at all but they touch a lot of different cultures and stories.

Thanks all the same, I actually picked up a copy of Hero the other day in a used bookstore but didn't really flip through it. I'll have to see if it's still there and give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I need recommendations for a really awful topic.

I've been interested in Japan's war crimes during WWII, and about North Korea and the DPRK.

I've read The Sea and Poison by Shusaku Endo, and I'm currently reading the Aquariums of Pyongyang by Chol-hwan Kang. I enjoyed both of these books and would love to read more things like it.

I'd recommend them, also, to anyone interested in similar subjects :)

Sneakums
Nov 27, 2007
MAXIMUM.SNEAK.
Does anyone have recommendations for some fast-paced or epic fantasy-setting books? I loved the first Drizzt Do'Urden trilogy (Salvatore) as well as the Dragonlance Chronicles trilogy (Weis and Hickman). I am going to continue those two series but I'm looking for some new ones as well.

I've heard good things about the Erevis Cale books. Did anyone read those? They are supposed to be in a similar setting to the Drizzt books.

Edit: I forgot to ask if anyone knew some books like Stephen King's The Stand. Any recommendations that share the setting and scale of that novel would be appreciated.

In all those novels, I feel as if the characters themselves were much more compelling than the world itself, so I guess I am looking for novels with unique or lifelike characters. The Dragonlance trilogy had especially believable characters that seemed to make decisions like real people do.

Sneakums fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jan 3, 2010

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Sneakums posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for some fast-paced or epic fantasy-setting books? I loved the first Drizzt Do'Urden trilogy (Salvatore) as well as the Dragonlance Chronicles trilogy (Weis and Hickman). I am going to continue those two series but I'm looking for some new ones as well.

I've heard good things about the Erevis Cale books. Did anyone read those? They are supposed to be in a similar setting to the Drizzt books.

Edit: I forgot to ask if anyone knew some books like Stephen King's The Stand. Any recommendations that share the setting and scale of that novel would be appreciated.

In all those novels, I feel as if the characters themselves were much more compelling than the world itself, so I guess I am looking for novels with unique or lifelike characters. The Dragonlance trilogy had especially believable characters that seemed to make decisions like real people do.

I hate to do it, but you'll probably like Game of Thrones. You may also want to give pretty much anything by Guy Gavriel Kay a shot; he does "historical" fiction, and his characters are well fleshed out. Tigana is his most "fantasy" book, the others have a specific historical setting that they're based on (Vikings, Constantinople, Medieval Spain etc...).

Ghost Boner
Jul 6, 2009
I know this a probably a long shot, but I'm a huge fan of Quentin Tarantino and I was wondering if there were any good books that have the same kind of feel as his films, particularly Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. I know Pulp Fiction is a homage to the old-school pulp tales, so suggestions from this genre would also be great.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

Ghost Boner posted:

I know this a probably a long shot, but I'm a huge fan of Quentin Tarantino and I was wondering if there were any good books that have the same kind of feel as his films, particularly Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. I know Pulp Fiction is a homage to the old-school pulp tales, so suggestions from this genre would also be great.

Try Elmore Leonard, particularly his mid-career stuff. I would recommend Swag, Gold Coast, Stick and Touch. He's sometimes variable, but there's a lot to enjoy in most of his books.

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup

Ghost Boner posted:

Try Richard Stark. A pseudonym of Donald Westlake, he wrote a twenty novel series about a professional thief; one of the novels was adapted for film twice, once as Point Blank starring Lee Marvin, and a second time as Payback starring Mel Gibson. I like Westlake, but I loooove the poo poo he wrote under Stark.

Jim Thompson was the king of the old-style caper story, particularly in terms of the aftermath. Reservoir Dogs owes a lot to him.

Finally James Crumley. He's a little more country-fried than QT, but the poo poo that goes down in his novels makes QT's (early) films seem sedate. The Last Good Kiss is my very favorite crime novel, and is even on my short list for favorite novel period.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Ghost Boner posted:

As the previous reply said, Elmore Leonard is pretty much exactly what you're looking for. Carl Hiassen and Donald Westlake also do crime novels with a comic edge. A couple of other writers who capture the grit of gangster noir (although without most of the humour of Tarantino): Ross Thomas's crime novels and Richard Stark's Parker books. And this one is kind of out there, but George V Higgins does for dialogue in novel form what Tarantino did for dialogue in movies. He's not for everyone, but if the back-and-forth between characters is what you really like about the movies, you may want to give Higgins's books a try.

rasser
Jul 2, 2003

Shnooks posted:

I've been interested in Japan's war crimes during WWII, and about North Korea and the DPRK.

I've read The Sea and Poison by Shusaku Endo, and I'm currently reading the Aquariums of Pyongyang by Chol-hwan Kang. I enjoyed both of these books and would love to read more things like it.

I'd recommend them, also, to anyone interested in similar subjects :)

Definitely not spot-on, but consider reading Haruki Murakami's The Wind-up Bird Cronicle. It has some really nasty descriptions of a few war crimes. And on top of that it's a great novel too.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Shnooks posted:

I've been interested in Japan's war crimes during WWII

You will probably need to acquaint yourself with the Nanking Massacre. There was a well known book written about it that I enjoyed, Iris Chang's "The Rape of Nanking". However, it has been widely criticised (and not only by Japanese!) as being full of inaccuracies and misguided interpretations of the facts. In any case, that book led me to "The Good Man of Nanking: The Diaries of John Rabe" which "contains the diaries that Rabe kept during the Nanking Massacre, writing from his personal experience and observation of the events that took place". Here is a review of that book and outlines some of the controversies surrounding it and the event itself.

Warlocktopus
Aug 19, 2006
Post Post-Modern Man
I've recently become a major history nut. I am generally interested in learning the entirety of human history, just for the fun of it, and am looking for good, key historical works that can give me a general introduction to world history.

I also have a few specific subjects I'm currently keenly interested in that I'd like some recommendations for, including:

Napoleon Bonaparte
The early, pre-imperial days of Rome
London
Vikings, and to a similar extent Nordic/Scandinavian peoples in general
Russia, both Pre and Post Soviet
Thailand

Thanks in advance.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

dokmo posted:

In any case, that book led me to "The Good Man of Nanking: The Diaries of John Rabe" which "contains the diaries that Rabe kept during the Nanking Massacre, writing from his personal experience and observation of the events that took place". Here is a review of that book and outlines some of the controversies surrounding it and the event itself.

Oh, I remember reading about that, but I forgot. Thank you for the recommendations :) I figured most of them would be about the Rape of Nanking anyways, but I'm down with that.

rasser
Jul 2, 2003

Warlocktopus posted:

I've recently become a major history nut. I am generally interested in learning the entirety of human history, just for the fun of it, and am looking for good, key historical works that can give me a general introduction to world history.

I also have a few specific subjects I'm currently keenly interested in that I'd like some recommendations for, including:

Napoleon Bonaparte
London
Thailand

Thanks in advance.

Norman Davies: Europe - a history covers all this and more :)

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

Warlocktopus posted:

Napoleon Bonaparte
London
Thailand

Thanks in advance.

For Rome I suggest Polybius, with Livy to fill in the gaps, though the latter is a bit unreliable at times.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Hi folks. Everyone talks about Oscar Wilde, so I figure I should read me some. Any recommendations? Thanks, and sorry if this has been covered but I didn't want to wade through 18 pages.

brenter
Dec 15, 2004
Hey guys, whoa, big gulps huh? Alright. Well see ya later.
Does anyone have recommendations for authors that have a writing style similar to Nelson Demille? I really enjoy the sarcastic humor.

General Washington
Sep 28, 2007
Hey goons, I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for any books containing a mixture of mythology and science fiction. I hate to make the comparison but if anyone is a fan of the show "Lost", then that is what I'm interested in. Any books or novels(or even comic books)with a combination of sci-fi, random ancient mythology and maybe even time travel I'd be heavily interested in.

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup

General Washington posted:

Hey goons, I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for any books containing a mixture of mythology and science fiction. I hate to make the comparison but if anyone is a fan of the show "Lost", then that is what I'm interested in. Any books or novels(or even comic books)with a combination of sci-fi, random ancient mythology and maybe even time travel I'd be heavily interested in.

I don't watch Lost so I might be way off base, but Samuel Delaney's The Einstein Intersection is probably the ultimate in sf/mythology. It's set on Earth populated by aliens that came here long after we were gone and it's chock-full of Greek mythology, the Orpheus myth in particular.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson is sorta like that. It's mostly Sumerian/Assyrian/Babylonian mythology though.

Another possibility is Ilium by Dan Simmons. It deals with (obviously) the Trojan War and additional sci fi things.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

You could try Planetary by Warren Ellis. It's a comic about 'archaeologists of the impossible' investigating strange relics and mysteries. Has a bit of everything: steampunk sci-fi, giant monsters, superheroes and a little bit of time travel.

Shnooks posted:

I've been interested in Japan's war crimes during WWII

Factories of Death. All you could ever want to know about Unit 731.

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jan 4, 2010

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
So how good/bad is "The reagan diaries"? - I mentioned that I was trying to find "Tear down this myth" to my father and he told me he'd buy it for me, even though I didn't really wanted him to. And today a package came with "the reagan diaries" instead...

LastCaress fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 4, 2010

Beyonce Trolls
Jul 12, 2006

This station is non-operational.
I'm looking for books like Fight Club. Sort of dealing with nihilism/post-modern angst sort of deal. People have recommended his other books but I'd like to branch out beyond that.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I feel like reading a Sci-Fi, Space Opera. Something with epic starship battles, gun fights or some cloak and dagger storytelling. And suggestions?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 5, 2010

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

BigRed0427 posted:

I feel like reading a Sci-Fi, Space Opera. Something with epic starship battles, gun fights or some cloak and dagger storytelling. And suggestions?
If you're okay with large-scale power creep, Simon R. Green's first few Deathstalker books are fun.

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup

BigRed0427 posted:

My perennial SF recommendation, Neal Asher, he's got all those things in spades, plus kick-rear end alien monsters and more. Gridlinked or Spatterjay would be the best places to start.

Edit: I was just reminded that the name of the book is The Skinner, not Spatterjay (which is the name of the planet it is set on).

Ballsworthy fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 6, 2010

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Ballsworthy posted:

My perennial SF recommendation, Neal Asher, he's got all those things in spades, plus kick-rear end alien monsters and more. Gridlinked or Spatterjay would be the best places to start.

I just bought Gridlinked to my Kindle due to this.. Will let you know - but thanks for the recommendation!

Team Black Zion
Aug 26, 2006

Next time you play chess, be sure to replace your queens and knights with pawns!
What's some great mature fantasy/sci-fi released in the last year or so? Let's say I love the Book of the New Sun, the Prince of Nothing, Ian M. Banks, George R.R. Martin (and yeah I read him back when he was Sandkings and Tuf Voyaging, assholes), Alfred Bester, China Mieville, the usual. I hate poo poo like Dragonlance and R.A. Salvatore. Thanks!

Team Black Zion fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 5, 2010

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
I've decided to make an effort to mix some nonfiction into my reading list and figured the best way to start would be to try to learn more about current events and the history behind it. My history is rusty/inadequate so the following topics might be a little vague and all over the place so apologies in advance.

1. US/Latin American relations
2. US/Middle East relations
3. Books about US politics during JFK/LBJ's terms , or post-Cold War/Reagan politics (I've found a bunch of stuff about Nixon/Reagan and the Cold War earlier in this thread already)

I guess basically I want a better idea of how some of our more disastrous current relations with a lot of countries came to be, and also how internally our country became so polarized. I really don't have any idea how to start looking for sources that are somewhat objective and hopefully provide an engaging read.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've really liked A Canticle for Leibowitz, and The Name of the Rose. I'm interested in books along the same theme, mostly scholarly stuff concerning the preservation of literacy, and literature after Rome fell.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
So, I'm thinking that I'd really like Hemingway, but I'm afraid of picking the wrong one to start and not getting hooked. What's the best first Hemingway book for a soon-to-be college graduate who loves to travel?

colonelsandy
Dec 28, 2006

"We in comparison to that enormous articulation; we only sound and look like badly pronounced and half finished sentences out of a stupid suburban novel."

roffles posted:

My history is rusty/inadequate so the following topics might be a little vague and all over the place so apologies in advance.

2. US/Middle East relations

I guess basically I want a better idea of how some of our more disastrous current relations with a lot of countries came to be, and also how internally our country became so polarized. I really don't have any idea how to start looking for sources that are somewhat objective and hopefully provide an engaging read.

Not sure if you are looking for anything really detailed or more of an introduction to US and Arab relations but a very good starting point/introduction is John Esposito's Unholy War: Terror In the Name of Islam . I was kind of turned off by the title when I first looked into it but it turned out to be a fascinating and great introduction to Islam as well as modern cultural and political developments of Islam in the Arab nations. Can't recommend it enough for anyone looking to get a better understanding of Islamic struggles with the west.

Another good starting point is Bernard Lewis's What Went Wrong?: The Clash Between Islam and Modernity in the Middle East. This book was mainly an scholarly study written after the WTC attacks but is very insightful as to why America's (and the West in general) have infuriated and confused the Arab world for decades. Again a great introduction into Western policies with the Middle East.

Hope that is along the lines of what you were looking for.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

roffles posted:

1. US/Latin American relations

You should start with Open Veins of Latin America by Eduardo Galeano, written in 1971 and still in print.

roffles posted:

3. Books about US politics during JFK/LBJ's terms , or post-Cold War/Reagan politics (I've found a bunch of stuff about Nixon/Reagan and the Cold War earlier in this thread already)

One place to start is The Best and the Brightest by David Halberstam, which focuses on the origins of the Vietnam war during the JFL and LBJ governments and how it grew exponentially, even though nobody particularly wanted it to. Because Halberstam is a journalist, he spends a lot of time on the personalities of the higher ups in power, and it is very well written.

roffles posted:

Another book that may help you is Nixonland by Rick Perlstein, which really looks hard at the polarization part of your question. It is enormous but thorough, and a cheap paperback version came out a year ago.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

Barracuda Bang! posted:

So, I'm thinking that I'd really like Hemingway, but I'm afraid of picking the wrong one to start and not getting hooked. What's the best first Hemingway book for a soon-to-be college graduate who loves to travel?

My favorite is The Sun Also Rises, and I'd guess it's what you're looking for. My high school was fairly big on Hemingway, and this was the last piece of his that we read and the first one I really out and out LOVED. At some point I plan on going back and reading more of his, but I think it's a good place to start for someone new to him.

QVT
Jul 22, 2007

standing at the punch table swallowing punch

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Just look at a couple short stories of his. Hills like White Elephants is available free online. I'm sure you can find The Killers and Old Man at the Bridge as well. They're free and if you enjoy them then you should take a look at For Whom the Bell Tolls or The Sun Also Rises.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
Thanks!

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

colonelsandy posted:

Not sure if you are looking for anything really detailed or more of an introduction to US and Arab relations but a very good starting point/introduction is John Esposito's Unholy War: Terror In the Name of Islam . I was kind of turned off by the title when I first looked into it but it turned out to be a fascinating and great introduction to Islam as well as modern cultural and political developments of Islam in the Arab nations. Can't recommend it enough for anyone looking to get a better understanding of Islamic struggles with the west.

Another good starting point is Bernard Lewis's What Went Wrong?: The Clash Between Islam and Modernity in the Middle East. This book was mainly an scholarly study written after the WTC attacks but is very insightful as to why America's (and the West in general) have infuriated and confused the Arab world for decades. Again a great introduction into Western policies with the Middle East.

Hope that is along the lines of what you were looking for.

Thanks, decent starting points/introductions to these topics is exactly what I'm looking for.

dokmo posted:

You should start with Open Veins of Latin America by Eduardo Galeano, written in 1971 and still in print.

One place to start is The Best and the Brightest by David Halberstam, which focuses on the origins of the Vietnam war during the JFL and LBJ governments and how it grew exponentially, even though nobody particularly wanted it to. Because Halberstam is a journalist, he spends a lot of time on the personalities of the higher ups in power, and it is very well written.

Another book that may help you is Nixonland by Rick Perlstein, which really looks hard at the polarization part of your question. It is enormous but thorough, and a cheap paperback version came out a year ago.

Thanks for these! Besides Nixonland (which is already on my list from recommendations to previous posters), I'm definitely going to pick up Open Veins of Latin America.

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008
I'm a huge Diana Wynne Jones fan and have been looking for more books in that same category. Mainly, YA fantasy fiction, but really well written so that it appeals to adults. Her books are like Harry Potter (except BETTER, believe me). I enjoy her Chrestomanci series and Howl's Moving Castle set as well.

Recently I just finished up Inkheart and Inkspell, which is the same genre. I've been finding that the British authors have more to offer.

Any suggestions? Well written YA fantasy. No sci fi please, I hate reading about aliens/space/mecha type stuff.

I was leaning towards trying some Terry Pratchett...

Team Black Zion
Aug 26, 2006

Next time you play chess, be sure to replace your queens and knights with pawns!

anaaki posted:

I'm a huge Diana Wynne Jones fan and have been looking for more books in that same category. Mainly, YA fantasy fiction, but really well written so that it appeals to adults. Her books are like Harry Potter (except BETTER, believe me). I enjoy her Chrestomanci series and Howl's Moving Castle set as well.

Recently I just finished up Inkheart and Inkspell, which is the same genre. I've been finding that the British authors have more to offer.

Any suggestions? Well written YA fantasy. No sci fi please, I hate reading about aliens/space/mecha type stuff.

I was leaning towards trying some Terry Pratchett...

His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman. Atheist response to the spirit of Chronicles of Narnia, like steampunk + eugenics + alternate earths + dark fantasy that gets put in the YA section because it has kids as protagonists but's miles darker than most other stuff. Kind of an obvious answer, I know his books are well known around here, but it sounds like you'd like him if you haven't checked him out already.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

I just read the Earthsea trilogy by Ursula K. LeGuin, which is really good as well. Aimed at young adults but very well-written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008

Team Black Zion posted:

His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman. Atheist response to the spirit of Chronicles of Narnia, like steampunk + eugenics + alternate earths + dark fantasy that gets put in the YA section because it has kids as protagonists but's miles darker than most other stuff. Kind of an obvious answer, I know his books are well known around here, but it sounds like you'd like him if you haven't checked him out already.

I read the first one, but I really had to keep at it. Took me a while to get into it. Then I picked up the second and had the same problem with the beginning. It's a bit hard for me to follow, not sure quite what it is. Maybe I should pick up the second book again.

Thanks