Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Count Choculitis posted:

Ahh, I loved the season 3 finale. I think it's my favorite one for sheer mindfuckery. I'm sure some people saw it coming but I certainly didn't, and it just made it super awesome.

I saw it coming about a minute before it happened. Glad I don't read the thread live though because several people 'guessed' it (or perhaps read the spoilers leaked a week before) like an hour before the end of the finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I sped through the Sons of Anarchy S1 Blu-Ray and loved it. Fantastic show. I just started on Rome, which I also got for Xmas.

I also recently tried Entourage again to see if it'd actually be funny this time. Nope, still a piece of poo poo. Sex and the City for men.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Captain Charisma posted:

I sped through the Sons of Anarchy S1 Blu-Ray and loved it. Fantastic show.

I finished Sons of Anarchy about a month ago, such an amazing show, can't wait for the next season.

Right now I'm going back in time a bit to watch Dark Angel and Alias, two shows that I never got into but have always wanted to see.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Count Choculitis posted:

I recently got through season 1 of True Blood. It was ok. I'd heard the story was just awesome, and I thought it was good, but I'm used to BSG and Lost and I didn't really think it compared to those. The characters were good though - I LOVE Sam, Sookie is ok when she's not being whiny, and Bill's all right, but Sam is definitely the best. Does the show improve after season 1 or stay about the same?

Season 2 is a little more ridiculous than the first, but I found it a lot of fun to watch. It's a pulpy, guilty pleasure. I'd class it in the same category as Supernatural, although Supernatural seems to take itself less seriously.

Ghetto Wizard
Aug 11, 2007

Count Choculitis posted:

I recently got through season 1 of True Blood. It was ok. I'd heard the story was just awesome, and I thought it was good, but I'm used to BSG and Lost and I didn't really think it compared to those. The characters were good though - I LOVE Sam, Sookie is ok when she's not being whiny, and Bill's all right, but Sam is definitely the best. Does the show improve after season 1 or stay about the same?

It gets a lot more ridiculous, which for this series is a good thing - I would not be able to watch it if it was a series that took itself seriously. There were a lot of good things, you get more Eric, more awesome moments from Jason and you'll come to love characters who had not been developed a lot on in season 1 or had been setup as completely assholes, which is great.

Some things get old, surprisingly, because the things that do get old aren't the sorta of thing you'd think "oh goddamnit more of this poo poo?" about.

Overall it got better and I enjoyed the second season a lot more because they gave more time to secondary characters.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think people were expecting another serious drama from Alan Ball, but I'm glad he is doing something wacky with True Blood. I mean, that's the only direction a show about vampires can go. Anything that takes itself seriously will be poo poo.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Guys, I really want to like Mad Men - I'm three episode into season one and have yet to really be grabbed.

Please tell me that it's going to be awesome...:ohdear:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

butros posted:

Guys, I really want to like Mad Men - I'm three episode into season one and have yet to really be grabbed.

It's a really slow build and the payoffs are more often of the subtle character revelation variety than crazy poo poo happening. At times it makes even The Wire look like 24 in terms of pacing, but most people who stick with it find it very worthwhile. It's not for everybody (and I think you should feel free to conclude it's not your thing without getting derided as some sort of philistine) but three episodes just isn't enough to judge this kind of show yet.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

A Violence Gang posted:

It's a really slow build and the payoffs are more often of the subtle character revelation variety than crazy poo poo happening. At times it makes even The Wire look like 24 in terms of pacing, but most people who stick with it find it very worthwhile. It's not for everybody (and I think you should feel free to conclude it's not your thing without getting derided as some sort of philistine) but three episodes just isn't enough to judge this kind of show yet.

I was hoping you'd say that. I really liked the Wire and don't mind a slower paced show so I'll stick with it. I think part of the problem is I'm coming off a multi-season The Shield binge and this is pretty much the antithesis of that.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

I think people were expecting another serious drama from Alan Ball, but I'm glad he is doing something wacky with True Blood. I mean, that's the only direction a show about vampires can go. Anything that takes itself seriously will be poo poo.

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone regarding this show...taken seriously or not, imo it's a flaming piece of poo poo (especially the second season) and I find the sheer number of fans it has mindboggling. Then again, I only recently watched all of Six Feet Under, so now watching True Blood I can't help but think wtf Alan Ball seriously...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Leviathan posted:

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone regarding this show...taken seriously or not, imo it's a flaming piece of poo poo (especially the second season) and I find the sheer number of fans it has mindboggling. Then again, I only recently watched all of Six Feet Under, so now watching True Blood I can't help but think wtf Alan Ball seriously...

I wouldn't go as far as say it's poo poo, but I'm not a big fan either. Six Feet Under is one of my favorite shows of all time and watching True Blood was disappointing to me. I've also haven't watched any of season 2 yet so I don't know how bad it gets. I know the black girl's mom in the first season was awful and nearly made me stop watching. I bought season 1 because it was on sale for like $16 and I'm thinking of just returning it.

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007
Whenever I get a chance I rewatch the entirety of Sports Night. Peter Krause (Nathan from Six Feet Under) is in it. I always forget how jarring the laugh track is early in season one, I'm really glad they got rid of it later.

Ultimates2
Mar 3, 2009

Get your popcorn ready
Over the past week or so I watched all of Dead Like Me. Season one was amazing, but season two got kind of hokey. I'm not saying it got bad, but the quality definitely declined from the first season, so I can see why they stopped making it.

Haven't watched the movie yet, since I've only heard bad things about it. I'll get around to it eventually.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Ultimates2 posted:

Over the past week or so I watched all of Dead Like Me. Season one was amazing, but season two got kind of hokey. I'm not saying it got bad, but the quality definitely declined from the first season, so I can see why they stopped making it.

Haven't watched the movie yet, since I've only heard bad things about it. I'll get around to it eventually.

The movie is completely awful, I guess watch it if you can't get enough of the characters after season 2.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

butros posted:

The show seems very superficial, but it is incredibly deep at a first glance, and you'll be happy to stick to it until the last season episode, which makes it all worthwhile.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Ultimates2 posted:

Yeah I felt the same way. I blew through season 1 in under a week. I've been stuck in the middle of season 2 for a couple months now. I just feel like yelling "shut the gently caress up and do your goddamn job you worthless sack of poo poo" at George almost every episode now.

Splat
Aug 22, 2002
The creator of Dead Like Me got booted part way through season 1 I think, which lead to the drop in quality.

BrokenLinux
Mar 9, 2003
/device/null
I've recently been binging through Friday Night Lights...I'm really enjoying it and up to season 3 ep4. One thing that is really starting to bug me is characters just disappearing and never being seen/talked about again...is this common for the rest of the series?

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

I finally got around to watching The Sopranos. I'm about half-way through season 1 and I'm really starting to dig it. Also, started rewatching The L Word with the girlfriend because she's never seen it and I only watched half of the series and I forgot everything. Plus, lesbians, oh yeah! I got the girlfriend hooked on Veronica Mars and when she catches up to season 2 I'll start watching that with her cause that's where I left off.

Teleku
Jan 18, 2004
I watched the BSG mini series when it first aired, then didn't bother watching any of the series ever again (not sure why, I liked the mini, but didn't have any interest at the time). Seeing that the series finally wrapped up this year, and all of my friends had mentioned loving it, I got a hold of the complete series to see if I'd enjoy it. About 1 and half weeks later I've binged through the entire series and ordered my own BluRay copy.

Absolutely loved it, even if I agree with the general consensus that it went down hill in the second half. Still felt it was a great show to the end, and I'd recommend it anybody. I don't know if I can bare watching anymore Sci-Fi now unless it can capture the feel of that series.

Though, I'm going to see how I like Farscape since I've seen lots of recommendations now.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

BrokenLinux posted:

I've recently been binging through Friday Night Lights...I'm really enjoying it and up to season 3 ep4. One thing that is really starting to bug me is characters just disappearing and never being seen/talked about again...is this common for the rest of the series?
Only for season 2 characters, which is considered to be by far the worst (still drat good). The writers strike caused half the season to disappear.

Madama Butterfly
Apr 6, 2005

All who dare to cross her course are swallowed by her fearsome force!
Sons of Anarchy I love it so much. We're about halfway through the second season now. I think we must have watched all of season 1 last weekend.

BrokenLinux
Mar 9, 2003
/device/null

Rapsey posted:

Only for season 2 characters, which is considered to be by far the worst (still drat good). The writers strike caused half the season to disappear.

Yea I was figuring that was about the same timeframe that season aired.

Charactors like Waverly from season 1, erm...what's his name, logan from gilmore girls in season 2 vanish completely!

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

butros posted:

When watching Mad Men the character interactions and the slow buildup of the stories interwoven with absolutely nothing happening is kind of why I love the show. I like to say "It's the best show on TV where nothing happens."

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
Are the rest of the football scenes in FNL as cheesy as the pilot? I have a pretty good suspension of disbelief, but the backup QB who never takes a snap running a statue of liberty one play and then subsequently breaking two tackles to launch a 50 yarder to 'win the game' was just goddamn ridiculous.

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

Leviathan posted:

Are the rest of the football scenes in FNL as cheesy as the pilot? I have a pretty good suspension of disbelief, but the backup QB who never takes a snap running a statue of liberty one play and then subsequently breaking two tackles to launch a 50 yarder to 'win the game' was just goddamn ridiculous.

The Pilot is the only episode where the football stuff is actually, like, impossible. Everything after it is well done.

The show's dramatic focus is also really not the football anyway, but you probably could infer that already.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Dark Weasel posted:

The Pilot is the only episode where the football stuff is actually, like, impossible. Everything after it is well done.

The show's dramatic focus is also really not the football anyway, but you probably could infer that already.

How many episodes do I have to watch before it turns from a lame Varsity Blues spinoff into a Peabody-winning show?

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

Leviathan posted:

How many episodes do I have to watch before it turns from a lame Varsity Blues spinoff into a Peabody-winning show?
How many have you watched? It took about 3-4 for me to really start getting into it.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Rapsey posted:

How many have you watched? It took about 3-4 for me to really start getting into it.

Oh my loving christ, just got to the end of 1x03 where paralyzed qb girlfriend confronts alcoholic guy on the side of the road and starts hitting him/randomly making out with him wtf???? That girl's acting in that scene was so awfully atrocious and cringeworthy I about stopped watching the episode immediately. Not to mention half the dramatic scenes so far where someone starts yelling are unintentionally hilarious. I'll give it a couple more episodes before I give up.

edit: this show got way better from 1x05-1x09

Leviathan fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 9, 2010

Crazy Man
Mar 12, 2006

The laws of sanity are mine, and they will obey me!
Doc Martin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doc_Martin).

It's terribly addictive. I'm currently on Season 3.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
I just started to binge through Wire In The Blood and am halfway through the third season. Though it comes in 90 minutes episodes so its hard to binge through.

Is this usual for BBC dramas?

Regardless, the main character is fantastic and the stories are interesting each and every episode, so I'm sure to finish it out, especially since the entire run is free to stream on netflix right now.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Sarx posted:

I just started to binge through Wire In The Blood and am halfway through the third season. Though it comes in 90 minutes episodes so its hard to binge through.

Is this usual for BBC dramas?

Regardless, the main character is fantastic and the stories are interesting each and every episode, so I'm sure to finish it out, especially since the entire run is free to stream on netflix right now.

It's not a BBC drame, it's made by rival (commercial) channel ITV, so on air they're two hours with adverts. That's the general standard for UK crime drama, whether they're in a two-hour slot or two one-hour parts on successive nights. Stuff like Cracker, Prime Suspect, Messiah etc. are like this too.

If you haven't seen Cracker yet you absolutely should watch it, it's the best crime drama ever made and absolutely what Wire in the Blood aspires to be.

The Engibeard
Jan 1, 2010
WE KNOW YOU TOOK THOSE CHICKEN THIGHS. WE'RE WATCHING YOU.
21 Jumpstreet. It's just so drat good.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
We binged through both Dexter and BSG in about 2 weeks. My girlfriend loved BSG.

Larch
Dec 20, 2004

BEE LOVER
Life. I just watched the existing 2 seasons in about 5 days. It was a great series, I was completely entertained and became engrossed in several of the characters. They made a few wrong turns here and there, and overall as the show went on it lost the darkness and sense of impending threat that made it great in the first few episodes, rendering much of the comedy a bit silly, but it was still great.

Luckily it regained a lot of that lost tension in the last few episodes, and I am very sad that there will be no new episodes. I have never come into this subforum before and expected to find a thread about it with some news about it maybe being picked up by someone. Either I can't find the thread, or there never was one and I'm odd for having fallen in love with it so hard.

Either was you should check it out. Both seasons are on Hulu.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
I just wanted to say that Friday Night Lights became a very engaging show after getting through first 6-7 episodes, and it's also really easy to binge through. Already up to mid-season 3 after about a week of watching. BTW, what ever happened to Santiago? Did they just write him off the show with no explanation?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I spent the weekend going through Season One of Better Off Ted and found a new favorite episode about every half hour. Veronica's method of stress relief in "Bioshuffle" is one of the best gags in ages. "I can't have you freaking out every time I fire a gun in my office!"

Been spending a lot of time with Corner Gas as well, thankfully I have several seasons yet to go. This show really is a gem.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Leviathan posted:

I just wanted to say that Friday Night Lights became a very engaging show after getting through first 6-7 episodes, and it's also really easy to binge through. Already up to mid-season 3 after about a week of watching. BTW, what ever happened to Santiago? Did they just write him off the show with no explanation?

A lot of stuff from season 2 goes away without explanation.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Watching Alias now based on a recommendation on the previous page. Really finding the banging psi-trancey soundtrack cool, and pretty hilarious when it's lumped on top of a tense talking scene. Also, HOW DOES SIDNEY NOT BRUISE?!?

I'm only halfway through Season 1 and I can already see just how ridiculously convoluted the plot is going to become with everyone being triple-quadruple-agents and turning out to be each others brothers/sisters/fathers etc. Throw in some mysticism and I can't wait to see the glorious trainwreck this show has the potential to become. Fantastic stuff.

Friday Night Lights keeps getting mentioned in a positive light. I'm willing to check it out, but will the fact I dislike and don't identify with football at all (especially American Football which is completely alien to me since I'm a Brit) detract from my enjoyment of this show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Cactus posted:

Friday Night Lights keeps getting mentioned in a positive light. I'm willing to check it out, but will the fact I dislike and don't identify with football at all (especially American Football which is completely alien to me since I'm a Brit) detract from my enjoyment of this show?

It'll certainly detract somewhat since the show examines middle America through the lens of football, but the majority of the drama revolves around character building/interaction so it's still worth a watch.