Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Eh, I think HHH has always had a little hate for Jericho. The guy has pretty much embarrassed Jericho in every feud they've had, even when Jericho was a face. I also remember hearing awhile ago that he helped kill the immediate main event push Jericho got in 99.

Some quips about how Jericho was stealing his hairstyle may have been involved but that might have been a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

kinda funny that jericho had only beaten hhh clean one time ever and it wasn't even truly clean, HHH had torn his quad.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Perdido posted:

Is there any beef between Jericho and HBK/Triple H?

No. When Jericho was a face and Triple H was a heel he would get the upper hand in situations (he's the guy who pinned Triple H for the belt in the match that never was, remember) and when Jericho is the heel and Triple H is the face, Triple H gets the upper hand. Jericho is one of those heels who has to get his comeuppance and look foolish because it makes the crowd ecstatic to see him bought down from his high horse, which is why he was happy to be dragged out of Raw kicking and screaming when Cena beat him and Bischoff fired him, or that time that Vince and Stephanie forced him to apologize to the crowd after ripping on them and he looked like he was going to straight up murder everyone in the world.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if most if not all of those were all Jericho's ideas.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Yeah, I recall those moments and it fits with what I had heard about the feud that wasn't with Goldberg: he wanted to get destroyed by Goldberg after running his mouth and making fun of him.

It just seems that Jericho has always gotten the short end of the stick when going up against Triple H/HBK. I remember thinking that that 'match that never was' was complete bullshit (I was young and dumb and in full Internet Smark mode) especially since (if my memory serves correctly) it never went anywhere. I think there was one followup match on Smackdown (where he interfered in a HHH's match against the Brooklyn Brawler or something?), but that was it for that particular 'feud.'

Then there was the Undisputed Title feud he had with Triple H, where he ended up playing second fiddle to Stephanie, her pet dog and Triple H.

There was also another feud he had that was a Last Man Standing match where, again, Jericho was made to look like a chump.

So, tuning in years later and seeing Triple H making snide comments on Jericho after he'd been murdered dead in the middle of the ring was funny to see. The more things change, and all that.

Thanks for the answers, everyone. :)

Perdido fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 7, 2010

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Jericho's idolized HBK from day one and they've been magical in the ring together with nobody looking any worse. Watch Jericho's match against HBK at WMXIX (of which both of them spoke VERY highly on HBK's DVD) and both of their PPV matches together from 2008. Jericho made himself an eternal heat magnet from that feud and made himself a credible world champion in the process. poo poo, if you look at how the title factored into that feud, it's incredible to see that Jericho almost treated Michaels like a minor annoyance while he was otherwise trying to fight off Punk, Batista, and Cena.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Perdido posted:

There was also another feud he had that was a Last Man Standing match where, again, Jericho was made to look like a chump.

I will forever disagree with this opinion because that match was the clearly bigger star Triple H hitting Jericho with everything and Jericho NOT staying down, and then Jericho hitting Triple H with everything until both of them were essentially dead, and ended with Triple H (THE number one utmost utter super heel of ALL of wrestling in the world of the time) managing to JUST stagger to his feet to meet the 10 count and then collapsing beside Jericho because he couldn't stand any longer. I thought it did a hell of a lot for Jericho.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

wrestling question: why the gently caress does jericho not have a 3 disc set yet

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

dusty udder smoker posted:

wrestling question: why the gently caress does jericho not have a 3 disc set yet

Related question: Why don't WWE do DVD sets of storylines rather than wrestlers? Surely it would make more sense to do it that way. People would be very inclined to rush out and buy a 2/3-disc DVD set of the McMahon-Helmsley Facgime. Or Raven Vs. Dreamer. Then again, it would make a lot of sense to release all entrance themes via iTunes than simply release a compilation CD every year too.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Minidust posted:

Heck, may as well just make that a question of my own then. Did Bret lose clean to anybody else in WWF?

He lost to Lawler at the first In Your House (though I think the angle was that Hart came into that match injured after a match with Hakushi earlier in the show). Off the top of my head, all the rest of his losses after winning the title involved interference or something similar. Of course he was a face up until the year he left the company, and it really wasn't all that common in the WWF at that time for main event-level faces to lose clean, so it's hard to know if it was due to the booking of the era as opposed to him refusing to job or something.

seregrail7
Nov 3, 2006
When did the WWF Attitude logo start getting censored on DVD releases? I've got Royal Rumble 99 & 2000 in some Classics Tag Pack thing and there's no logo blurring in it at all even thought the box uses the WWE logo and the copyright on it says 2007.

I hate those wildlife fund guys for loving up re-releases.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

seregrail7 posted:

When did the WWF Attitude logo start getting censored on DVD releases? I've got Royal Rumble 99 & 2000 in some Classics Tag Pack thing and there's no logo blurring in it at all even thought the box uses the WWE logo and the copyright on it says 2007.

Mid-2002. They're allowed to release reprints of old video releases, so they can put the Coliseum/WWF Home Video versions of those old shows out unblurred but with no special features or editing or whatnot.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

seregrail7 posted:

Tagged Classics are actually produced by a 3rd party and therefore don't have to obey the blurring of the WWF logo ruling.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

dusty udder smoker posted:

John Morrison and the fact that 3 guys have 10 dvd sets between them might affect your perception of commonness, but there really aren't that many dvd sets dedicated to active individual wrestlers. and it' s only been about 7 years (since the Ric Flair collection in 2003). they didn't even do a Rock set until 2008 (five years after the Ric Flair collective in 2003). Can anyone imagine WWE Marketing in the year 2007 thinking "we haven't done a Rock set so oh wait we haven't done a Chris Jericho set yet either let's do that first."

Outside of two 5-month reigns, Jericho's been a career midcarder. Like imagine if Matt Hardy had won the title in 2006 only to lose it to Edge returning from injury, and then lose the Loser Leaves Town match and goes to Smackdown and continues his career as he did in reality. Now imagine if Matt Hardy had a bunch of **** matches in his backyard. Finally, try hard, but imagine if Matt Hardy could cut awesome promos. That's pretty much Jericho.

he's not and has never in his life been as good as Benoit and Eddie were or as popular the undertaker was in 2004. or kurt angle in 2006. or rey mysterio in 2007. Jericho will probably have one around 2011-2012, probably no later than that unless he kills his family.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Kentucky Shark posted:

He lost to Lawler at the first In Your House (though I think the angle was that Hart came into that match injured after a match with Hakushi earlier in the show). Off the top of my head, all the rest of his losses after winning the title involved interference or something similar. Of course he was a face up until the year he left the company, and it really wasn't all that common in the WWF at that time for main event-level faces to lose clean, so it's hard to know if it was due to the booking of the era as opposed to him refusing to job or something.
Oh yeah, I'm sure it was more of a booking thing than a Bret thing. I don't really recall Lex Luger losing clean in his WWF run either. Hell I don't think Ahmed Johnson ever lost clean.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Didn't Brock once (or twice?) belly to belly suplex Shannon Moore from the center of the ring to the floor? Then again on another show through a table? I could have sworn I remember seeing that and thinking they should have made a much bigger deal out of it. (Similar to how when Mike Awesome would Awesomebomb people out of the ring through a table in WCW/WWE it was a throwaway moment.)

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
This isn't supposed to be antagonistic or anything, but why is Sheamus champion? I'd never heard of him until yesterday, so I read up a bit. He wasn't even in the WWE until mid '09, he was in a midcard match at Survivor Series, and suddenly the next night he becomes #1 contender then goes over clean (albeit in a gimmick match) at the next PPV? I watched one of his promos, he seems comfortable enough on the mic but nothing special, so why the quick push?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
He's comfortable on the mic, he has a distinct look, he's competent enough in the ring at what he does, and it shakes up the main event scene so that we're not watching Cena vs. Orton 106.

Also he works out with Triple H.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

CVagts posted:

He's comfortable on the mic, he has a distinct look, he's competent enough in the ring at what he does, and it shakes up the main event scene so that we're not watching Cena vs. Orton 106.

Also he works out with Triple H.

He's a loving monster.

My question is about entrance music. How many current WWE superstars still have their original music? I'm not including tag teams in this, so all I can think of is Jericho and CM Punk.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

The A-Team Van posted:

He's a loving monster.

My question is about entrance music. How many current WWE superstars still have their original music? I'm not including tag teams in this, so all I can think of is Jericho and CM Punk.

HBK, sorta. Jim Duggan.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

The A-Team Van posted:

He's a loving monster.

Jericho's music has changed since he first debuted in 1999.

Hockles posted:

HBK, sorta. Jim Duggan.

Jim Duggan didn't have music for a long time. And is he still around?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Jim Duggan didn't have music for a long time. And is he still around?

After looking into it, he isn't in WWE any longer. I hadn't heard of his release, so I was wrong.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Hockles posted:

HBK, sorta. Jim Duggan.
HBK used a section of "Rhapsody In Blue" as theme music right after the barber shop! He got the Sherri version of "Sexy Boy" soon afterward.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0PfAH6eU14

Minidust fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 7, 2010

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Minidust posted:

HBK used a section of "Rhapsody In Blue" as theme music right after the barber shop! He got the Sherri version of "Sexy Boy" soon afterward.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0PfAH6eU14

Yes, but who else on the active WWE roster has had their music for longer than he has?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Jack Krauser posted:

Yes, but who else on the active WWE roster has had their music for longer than he has?

I had said The Undertaker, then I realized that his music has changed several times back and forth.

But I thought of one - Jerry Lawler.

Rusty Shackelford fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 7, 2010

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Jack Krauser posted:

Oh well yeah, it's definitely the had the longest lifespan of any theme still used today, without question.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
No chance.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Burrito posted:

No chance.

That didn't start until 1999, I believe.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Rusty Shackelford posted:

That didn't start until 1999, I believe.

Yeah, it was the 1999 Royal Rumble theme and after that the Corporation adopted it. Before that Vince had no theme.

What about Dibiase?

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 7, 2010

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.
Carlito? He's had the same music since '04 and it hasn't changed once.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Jack Krauser posted:

Yeah, it was the 1999 Royal Rumble theme and after that the Corporation adopted it. Before that Vince had no theme.

What about Dibiase?

DiBiase isn't a member of the roster. The answer is Jerry Lawler.

UndergroundHero
Feb 1, 2005

Throw reason right out the fuckin' window.

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

Related question: Why don't WWE do DVD sets of storylines rather than wrestlers?

This would be a pretty awesome idea. Even if they don't get a ton of longevity out of the idea, it sure would be nice to have a complete Austin vs. McMahon DVD set.

Also MVP is still using his same theme, only they cut out the intro.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
How long has JR had the drum roll whatever its called

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Sionistic posted:

How long has JR had the drum roll whatever its called

Boomer Sooner, the Oklahoma University fight song, and as long as I can remember him doing Raws.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

The A-Team Van posted:

He's a loving monster.

Goldust

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Goldust

His has even changed slightly, it's somewhat downplayed from the super awesome 1995-96 version.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I think this is the third or fourth version of Goldust's theme right now. He had a really short loop when he first debuted, then they just added a middle to it for the theme he used for most of his original run. They did a remixed version when he was "The Artist Formerly Known As Goldust" and once he went from Dustin Rhodes back to Goldust again I think he got the version that he uses today.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
JR was what I first thought of as not changing. Mickie James I'm pretty sure is the same since debuting in 2006 and maybe some of the other Divas if you even want to count them. Kofi and Swagger have stayed the same? Or have they not been around long enough to count either?

Bearnt! fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 7, 2010

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Bearnt! posted:

JR was what I first thought of as not changing. Mickie James I'm pretty sure is the same since debuting in 2006 and maybe some of the other Divas if you even want to count them. Kofi and Swagger have stayed the same? Or have they not been around long enough to count either?

I think Swagger had different music for his very first week.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
I dont think Dusty's music changed at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
That guy who was doing the mashups got better but I wish he went back and redid the first one he made (goldust/Booker T)